• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2177726792_7b0e59cfbd_b.jpg

picture_1102.png

Didn't see a thread and since it's getting close now.

EDIT: Since it has become an issue. This is a spoiler thread for the first three seasons of BSG and only season 4 spoiler material needs to be tagged. Enter thread at your own risk if you have not watched the prior 3 seasons of BSG

What: The final season of BSG. Actually only the first 10 episodes are ready to air so it will be awhile before the season finishes.

When:premieres Friday April 4th at 10/9 Central. Or See it Early on Sci-Fi.com --Friday at Noon EST.

Season 4 Cheat Sheet:http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20186822,00.html

What the Frak is going on? Full recap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grfI...rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxjdcAibnoo

Thanks, Stony. I was about to put the thread together since there wasn't one up, but you saved me the trouble. :D

I just finished a marathon through S3 last week after receiving my DVD's, and now I'm ready for S4.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Gods, I can't frakkin' wait. I just finished the Season 3 DVD set last night. My mind is completely blown but at the same time there is sadness, much sadness.
Poor Saul.

So is SciFiHD showing the new ones in HD starting this Friday?
bob_arctor said:
Gods, I can't frakkin' wait. I just finished the Season 3 DVD set last night. My mind is completely blown but at the same time there is sadness, much sadness.
Poor Saul.
His short speech before heading back to the bridge was awesome, though. It'll be interesting to see how the final five behave and how it's different than the original seven.

B.K.

I might just wait until August or September to watch the first half of the season. The wait until 2009 won't be as bad then.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can't wait to see how the
Six/Tigh
plot develops :p

When is this airing on Sky?

IIRC, previous seasons premiered on this side of the atlantic.

Don't make me torrent :(

edit - Also, Sam is going to play a big part in this season? It's odd to see him included in this little montage up top, he seemed like a minor character. (I know he's
a Cylon
, but Tori isn't up there for example).

gofreak said:
I can't wait to see how the
Six/Tigh
plot develops :p

When is this airing on Sky?

IIRC, previous seasons premiered on this side of the atlantic.

Don't make me torrent :(

They did premiere on Sky first in the past. I remember finding... *ahem*... alternate means to watch Season 1 weeks before it aired here in the States.

bill0527

Costanza said:
I wish I had SciFi HD :(

I hear ya.

I've got UniversalHD on my cable system, and they just finished showing season 3 in HD a few weeks ago, but I'm guessing they won't be showing season 4, at least not for a few months until after it airs on SciFi

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Cornballer said:
His short speech before heading back to the bridge was awesome, though. It'll be interesting to see how the final five behave and how it's different than the original seven.

Yeah, it gave me goosebumps. I know the show is all about bleakness but I really, really hope he finds some peace when all is said and done. As for differences, here's some that I've noticed right off the bat:

They cannot be detected by known methods--Chief was tested after beating up Cally that time he went psycho and was found to be human. Saul was tortured and had his eye torn out--and still wasn't discovered, even by a variation of his own kind.

If Saul is that old and has been at Adama's side for 40 years then it would mean that he was around prior to the Cylon's first evolving into their human facsimiles. I think anyway.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Who said they are even remotely the same thing as the Other Cylons? "They have been from the start" says the Chief. Start of "What" is what I'm asking

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
bob_arctor said:
They cannot be detected by known methods--Chief was tested after beating up Cally that time he went psycho and was found to be human. Saul was tortured and had his eye torn out--and still wasn't discovered, even by a variation of his own kind.

There was no real test, IIRC? Baltar just made the whole thing up...I thought. I remember he lied to Sharon about her results i.e. she did show up as a cylon with his test..but then I thought it turned out the test didn't really work. At least, he certainly didn't get through even a small fraction of the population...

Re. Saul, the Cylons are supposed to be physically just like humans. Tearing out his eye wouldn't have given him away to another Cylon.

JayDubya

Banned
Since season one spoilers aren't spoilers, and I'm re: to something above...

Baltar's Cylon blood screening machine did work. The fact that it worked was simply irrelevant because it was operated by a spineless little prick. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JayDubya said:
Since season one spoilers aren't spoilers, and I'm re: to something above...

Baltar's Cylon blood screening machine did work. The fact that it worked was simply irrelevant because it was operated by a spineless little prick. :lol
Maybe that was it.

But you'd think he'd have known then, at least about a couple of them - saul is pretty senior, you'd think he'd have been among the first done.

Then again, maybe Baltar does know about him but there was so little interaction between them that it's hard to tell.

Regarding spoilers, what's the policy on BSG threads? Just curious what needs to be tagged and what's fair game. Typically, I thought it was that anything that has been aired doesn't need to be tagged, but preview discussion and obvious spoilers (stuff from zee future) needs to be tagged.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Who the hell's idea was it to put BSG on at 10 PM on a Friday night!? I'm so amped for this season but there's no way I'll ever be home on a Friday at 10 PM : (

bob_arctor said:
If Saul is that old and has been at Adama's side for 40 years then it would mean that he was around prior to the Cylon's first evolving into their human facsimiles. I think anyway.

This has been bugging me since the S3 finale.

Personally, I think that anything from the previous three seasons is fair game in a Season 4 thread. You shouldn't wander in here if you haven't watched the previous three.

Kak.efes

I'll watch the premiere, but PVR the remaining nine episodes, and marathon them all with a couple of friends later on in the year. Watching episodes in succession, one after the other, is just .. better :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There must be some kind of way outta here...

bob_arctor said:

The cylons went silent for a long time, but there's no word WHEN the human copies were commissioned. According to Razor, they were testing on humans during the first war. Saul could have been the first product. He may be one of the "final" five, but he might actually be one of the first production models.

B.K.

jon bones said:
Who the hell's idea was it to put BSG on at 10 PM on a Friday night!? I'm so amped for this season but there's no way I'll ever be home on a Friday at 10 PM : (

Me either. I have class on Friday nights until almost 10:30. By the time I get home, it's after midnight. That's just another reason for me to wait until later to watch the episodes.

jon bones said:

This has been bugging me since the S3 finale.

He can be a doppleganger.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Neodiablo22 said:
He can be a doppleganger.

To quote the chief:

"We're cylons...and we were from the beginning." ...or something to that effect. He clearly says that they were always cylons.

B.K. said:
Me either. I have class on Friday nights until almost 10:30. By the time I get home, it's after midnight. That's just another reason for me to wait until later to watch the episodes.

Record them? Catch them when they re-air later in the week?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
thetrin said:
The cylons went silent for a long time, but there's no word WHEN the human copies were commissioned. According to Razor, they were testing on humans during the first war. Saul could have been the first product. He may be one of the "final" five, but he might actually be one of the first production models.

That makes tons of sense though it still doesn't make clear how far back him and Adama go. Where they childhood friends or even friends out of the Academy (or BSG's equivalent)?

bob_arctor said:
That makes tons of sense though it still doesn't make clear how far back him and Adama go. Where they childhood friends or even friends out of the Academy (or BSG's equivalent)?
Doesn't Adama state something towards the end of S3 about how "I've known you for XX years, Saul"? I thought it was on the order of 35 years, but I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Cornballer said:
Doesn't Adama state something towards the end of S3 about how "I've known you for XX years, Saul"? I thought it was on the order of 35 years, but I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly.

No, you're probably right though I interpreted that as serving with him and not actually how long he's known him in total. I've always assumed they knew each other prior to the war. If I'm wrong in that regard then the timing fits perfectly for what thetrin mentioned.

bob_arctor said:
No, you're probably right though I interpreted that as serving with him and not actually how long he's known him in total. I've always assumed they knew each other prior to the war. If I'm wrong in that regard then the timing fits perfectly for what thetrin mentioned.
Here's a link to Tigh's biography on the BSG Wiki. (Spoilers from S1-S3, obviously.) Seems like they did a good job of putting together a timeline.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think the genesis of the the four cylons revealed at the end of the season goes further back than the current generation. Recurring theme in the series about history repeating and given they're following the signs left by a 4000 yr old progenitor civilization, I'm banking on the new cylons being cylons as a result of genetic memory, the right combination of passed-on traits.

Costanza said:
I wish I had SciFi HD :(

Comcast added SciFi HD to our lineup in Seattle about a month ago. Very little on the channel is in HD, but I'm all over BSG. Plus, the HD channel is the East coast feed, so it comes on here at 7pm instead of 10pm.

Big-E

Just finished watching season 3 on dvd. Can not wait. Someone on this show better get a god damn Emmy nod.

Big-E

DY_nasty said:
Didn't they win a Peabody award not too long ago?

The show did. Some of the actors deserve an emmy nod. Easily one of the best shows on tv with some great acting though it will probably not show up come emmy time.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
kaching said:
I think the genesis of the the four cylons revealed at the end of the season goes further back than the current generation. Recurring theme in the series about history repeating and given they're following the signs left by a 4000 yr old progenitor civilization, I'm banking on the new cylons being cylons as a result of genetic memory, the right combination of passed-on traits.

If that's the case, that would be very Philip K. Dick, VALIS specifically (Gnosticism, etc.).

The estimation of the world, owing to the above, as flawed or a production of 'error' but nevertheless as good as its constituent material might allow. This world is typically an inferior simulacrum of a higher-level reality or consciousness. The inferiority may be compared to the technical inferiority of a painting, sculpture, or other handicraft to the thing(s) of which those crafts are supposed to be a representation. In certain other cases it is also perceived as evil and constrictive, a deliberate prison for its inhabitants;

The explanation of this state through the use of a complex mythological-cosmological drama in which a divine element 'falls' into the material realm and lodges itself within certain human beings; from here, it may be returned to the divine realm through a process of awakening (leading towards salvation). The salvation of the individual thus mirrors a concurrent restoration of the divine nature; a central Gnostic innovation was to elevate individual redemption to the level of a cosmically significant event;

Do you think that the signal was automatically triggered due to their relative proximity to Earth?

bob_arctor said:
If that's the case, that would be very Philip K. Dick, VALIS specifically (Gnosticism, etc.).

Do you think that the signal was automatically triggered due to their relative proximity to Earth?

Except they're not that close to Earth.

"We're going the wrong way!

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Kung Fu Jedi said:

That might've been one of the biggest WTF moments since Maury started doing paternity tests.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Except they're not that close to Earth.

Assuming Kara's correct, of course. Assuming she isn't the harbinger of the apocalypse who will lead all humanity to its death. If she is though, then maybe her wrong way is the right way. Possibly. I happen to think Kara may very well be the doom bringer but only indirectly--that her return will tear apart the fleet because many will think her a Cylon and many won't believe a word of what she has to say regarding Earth.

dabig2

B.K. said:
Don't have anything to record them with.

there are some,hm, alternative methods if you don't possess a DVR or DVD recorder. But maybe they'll have reruns of it sometime in the week. ?

bob_arctor said:
Assuming Kara's correct, of course. Assuming she isn't the harbinger of the apocalypse who will lead all humanity to its death. If she is though, then maybe her wrong way is the right way. Possibly. I happen to think Kara may very well be the doom bringer but only indirectly--that her return will tear apart the fleet because many will think her a Cylon and many won't believe a word of what she has to say regarding Earth.

That's a lot of reading into on very small scene that was the cliffhanger. I'm more apt to believe that she's been sent back as a messenger to help the fleet and lead them Earth, but of course that's what the season ending cliffhanger is all about. Make you speculate. While I think you might be right, that some in the fleet are going to question her return, there has been no indication at all to lead you to believe that she is the doom bringer.

All that aside, there is also no indication from previous shows to indicate that they are anywhere in the proximity of Earth. At best, they may have been on the right trail.

Big-E

Did any of you guys see the alternate ending to the cliffhanger? Where
Kara is in Lee's room and not in the viper and tells him the exact same words. I am glad they chose the ending they did because having Kara on Galactica makes even less sense then her showing up in a viper.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bob_arctor said:
The Divine has certainly been playing a role in this as well. I think they're going to tie it together, yes.

Could be any number of triggers - a certain sequence of events, proximity to something that is *of* Earth but not necessarily Earth itself. Could it be proximity to each other? I forget - was there ever a time before that on the show where all 4 were on the same ship together?

Kung Fu Jedi said:
All that aside, there is also no indication from previous shows to indicate that they are anywhere in the proximity of Earth. At best, they may have been on the right trail.
Don't they zoom way out at the end of S3 and then back in to get to Earth. I might rewatch that sequence to see if there's any clue as to how far they are.
Big-E said:
Kara is in Lee's room and not in the viper and tells him the exact same words. I am glad they chose the ending they did because having Kara on Galactica makes even less sense then her showing up in a viper.
Yup, saw that on the dvd.
I think Ron Moore said that it looked too much like "a miracle" if filmed that way, whereas there's a rational explanation as to why she's back. I guess we'll find out this week

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Big-E said:

Yes, I agree with this. If the other way happened,
then there's another "Baltar/Head Six" thing going on, as now Lee would then start seeing visions of Kara.

Kara comes back, and thinks she's only been gone a few hours, so yeah, something's up. Either a time distortion, or some kind of copy.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Kung Fu Jedi said:
They did premiere on Sky first in the past. I remember finding... *ahem*... alternate means to watch Season 1 weeks before it aired here in the States.
yep me too. I love the internet.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
What makes Saul's situation even more tragic for me is that he told Adama exactly what was happening, more or less. He mentions the music and says explicitly that it's some sort of Cylon sabotage.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Jesus Christ, can we just make this a spoiler thread? If you haven't caught up, it's your own damn fault to going into a FINAL SEASON thread before watching all the episodes.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Phobophile said:
Jesus Christ, can we just make this a spoiler thread? If you haven't caught up, it's your own damn fault to going into a FINAL SEASON thread before watching all the episodes.

So say we all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom