• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica Official Final Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The speech at the end of Season 3 was epic.

"Not this time. Not for Gaius Baltar. No, you... you have to die, because, well, because we don't like you very much. Because you're arrogant. Because you're weak. Because you're a coward, and we, the mob, want to throw you out of the airlock, because you didn't stand up to the Cylons and get yourself killed in the process. That's justice now. You should have been killed back on New Caprica, but since you had the temerity to live, we're going to execute you now. That's justice. This case... this case is built on emotion, on anger, bitterness, vengeance. But most of all, it is built on shame. It's about the shame of what we did to ourselves back on that planet. It's about the guilt of those of us who ran away. Who ran away. And we're trying to dump all that guilt and all that shame on one man and then flush him out the airlock, and hope that just gets rid of it all. So that we could live with ourselves. But that won't work. That won't work. That's not justice; not to me. Not to me."

Good series although Season 3 did get boring in the second half... Tyrols' airlock adventure! Very intense overall, Baltar is a favorite and I actually enjoyed the fact they didn't wrap up all the questions and left behind some intriguing mysteries.

Sai-kun

Banned
Alienshogun said:
It's kind of implied at the end when 6 talks about god as "god" and All along the watch towers is playing in the background and the Doctor says "you know he doesn't like that name."

Then there's the fact that throughout the entire end of the show his song is what guides them and leads them to the promised land though an angel (Kara Thrace).

Yeah...

No.

They didn't pick it because of the artist, they picked it for the lyrics. Remember that in the fiction of BSG, Anders was the one who wrote the song and played it for everyone.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sai-kun said:
Yeah...

No.

They didn't pick it because of the artist, they picked it for the lyrics. Remember that in the fiction of BSG, Anders was the one who wrote the song and played it for everyone.

The Hendrix version was played several times, most notably at the end of season 3.

Also that the song was "given" to Kara by her father when she was a child, before she ever met Anders. Also, I think you're mis remembering. The composer/mystery man wrote it on the piano (which was Kara's father as an entity) the final 4 heard the song over the radio. When Kara plays it in the bar they ask her how she knew the song, that's when she says she knew it as a child from her father.

Also, Hera is the one who wrote the dots that contained the song, and she had no contact with any of them. Also, the song turned out to be the location of 2nd Earth.

Then it's also played again at then end 150,000 years in the future (our present time), on the radio while "angel 6 and angel baltar" are talking.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
yellow submarine said:
I must have missed the part where Baltar's vision of six was an angel. IIRC they never explained what it was that he saw... Did they? I'm confused :S

I believe she says several times that she's sent from God, I even remember her calling herself an angel once or twice. That could be mistaken though.

Sai-kun

Banned
Alienshogun said:
The Hendrix version was played several times, most notably at the end of season 3.

Also that the song was "given" to Kara by her father when she was a child, before she ever met Anders. Also, I think you're mis remembering. The composer/mystery man wrote it on the piano (which was Kara's father as an entity) the final 4 heard the song over the radio. When Kara plays it in the bar they ask her how she knew the song, that's when she says she knew it as a child from her father.

Also, Hera is the one who wrote the dots that contained the song, and she had no contact with any of them. Also, the song turned out to be the location of 2nd Earth.

Then it's also played again at then end 150,000 years in the future (our present time), on the radio while "angel 6 and angel baltar" are talking.

Noooo! They never play Hendrix's version until the series finale. The version done in the show was composed by Bear McCreary and sung by his brother. They composed a lot of music around the theme, and basically made it into their own.

When they land on "Earth" in "Revelations", Anders has a flashback (much like Tyrol) when he touches the neck of a guitar, and he says that he remembers playing that song, and Tory confirms it, saying that he played it for "all of [them]".

Kara's dad knowing the song and teaching it to her just kinda hints at the song being a part of something much bigger, and hearing the 'real version' (for us, anyways) just kinda seals that deal.

The only thing we ever really know about the song is that it's somehow a switch for the final five, and that it's woven into time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sai-kun said:
Noooo! They never play Hendrix's version until the series finale. The version done in the show was composed by Bear McCreary and sung by his brother. They composed a lot of music around the theme, and basically made it into their own.

When they land on "Earth" in "Revelations", Anders has a flashback (much like Tyrol) when he touches the neck of a guitar, and he says that he remembers playing that song, and Tory confirms it, saying that he played it for "all of [them]".

Kara's dad knowing the song and teaching it to her just kinda hints at the song being a part of something much bigger, and hearing the 'real version' (for us, anyways) just kinda seals that deal.

The only thing we ever really know about the song is that it's somehow a switch for the final five, and that it's woven into time.

We also know that it's the coordinates of second Earth. The drawing Hera made were the notes to the song, Kara then put them down as numbers for the jump to Earth right before saying "there must be some kind of way out of here."

Hendrix is god!

Sai-kun

Banned
Alienshogun said:
We also know that it's the coordinates of second Earth. The drawing Hera made were the notes to the song, Kara then put them down as numbers for the jump to Earth right before saying "there must be some kind of way out of here."

Hendrix is god!

Yes, because the song is woven into the fabric of time and reality. But it wasn't about the people that created the song, it was the song itself. Jimi Hendrix is meaningless in the scheme of things, and it literally nothing would be different if they had played Bob Dylan's version in the end.

Kak.efes

If you're looking for clarity as it relates to the latter part of season three, and all of four, you wont find it. It's a shame, seasons one, through three and half were so narratively cohesive.

Still a great show though. It supplanted Trek as my scifi of choice.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sai-kun said:
Yes, because the song is woven into the fabric of time and reality. But it wasn't about the people that created the song, it was the song itself. Jimi Hendrix is meaningless in the scheme of things, and it literally nothing would be different if they had played Bob Dylan's version in the end.

You just want GAGA to be god. Shame. On. You.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I just finished a re-watch of the series. Still good stuff, but a few new things annoy me.

Helo is probably my favorite character in the show now. Always right, and loyal to no end. Which made the ending part where he mistakes Boomer for Athena annoying. There was no reason at all for that scene, maybe a simple dialogue sequence, but to have a love making scene after watching Helo's loyalty throughout the series, made that scene a bit contradictory to the character. He was set up as someone show should have known.

Why the heck wasn't Danial Kara's father. I know Moore said no, but did he just think the idea made too much sense and therefore had no place in his finale...

Tyrol's kid. This is just proof that the writers had no clue who the final 5 were going to be. And they wrote in the stupid "lol it wasn't yours" thing to fix their mess.

Appreciate Head Baltar and Head Six more, and they make a lot more sense every time I re-watch the series.

So I just watched everything on netflix these past few weeks. Watched about 3 episodes a night. Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to bump in regards to BSG discussion, I did a google search and I didn't see a LTTP thread or anything.

Absolutely loved it. I noticed a lot of people make references to God and Angels - but what if they weren't Gods or Angels, rather the survivors/offspring of the original Lords of Kobal? A species so advanced we perceive them as God-like.

Anyway, felt a bit sad when Athena just unloaded and killed Boomer. She was a really promising character in the first couple seasons, and they just randomly turned her all villian like at the end and she gets shot up. Considering it was that Boomer who was the basis Sharon character with the most experience and ties with the crew. While Athena was some random eight that only was let on the Galactica because she got knocked up by Helo.

As for Hera, I guess they are referring humanity as in the BSG humanity, not in regards to the cave men on our Earth. So, Hera - is savior of Humans (from Kabol, the fleet) and the Cylons since she's mitochondrial eve. I guess the human and human offspring from the fleet and from the cave men weren't viable and didn't survive.

So is there anything interesting I should check out as a follow up? Any interesting interviews, behind the scenes, or any post-produced content etc? I still have to watch the Plan for example...

DBT85

I still have to watch the Plan for example...

No you don't.

Really.

There is a trailer out there for the Blood and Chrome pilot which is a prequel following Adama through the first war but I'm fairly sure SighFy have said they won't be picking it up for a series so who know what might happen there. The pilot looked interesting from that trailer.

Favourite moments for you?

One thing I never got is at the end Head Six and Head Balter talk about God and Balter remarks, "It doesn't like to be called that" or something to that effect.

Which really makes me believe this "god like" aspects of the show are just interventions by yet another form of humanoids that are so advanced we only see them as god like.

Kind of like the Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom