• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 |OT| The time has come, and so have Wii!

I'm currently trying to beat
Witch Trials 5
on 3rd Climax but have been unsuccessful so far...

Can you give me any advice on Weapon/Acc. combinations? Also: I want to do it with Bayonetta. I want to move on to the next game...still need to unlock Champions Road in SM3DW

Easy ways to get pure plat in Bayo 2:

Use items, they don't affect your rank. You can item spam through most of the game.
Use umbran climax often, it's an iWin button most of the time.
Use torture attacks to skip enemies once your combo score is high enough.
Farm magic outside of verses to refill for more UCs and TAs.
Use bracelet of time against humanoid bosses like Lumen.
Use pulley's butterfly to avoid damage even if you get hit.
Rosa is generally considered easier to use because she does much more damage and you don't want to get hit anyway.

Or if you want to make it harder on yourself, don't do any of those things and equip the Gaze of Despair instead.

If you're having trouble seeing things, adjust the camera zoom in the options. You can also turn off the music to listen for off-screen cues better.

You missed out on one last thing - checkpoints and exit to title
I wonder though why there wasn't a formal "Restart Checkpoint" option... they already put in there these tons of ways to cheese PP, might as well have gone all the way

Nemmy

You missed out on one last thing - checkpoints and exit to title
I wonder though why there wasn't a formal "Restart Checkpoint" option... they already put in there these tons of ways to cheese PP, might as well have gone all the way

That kinda bugs me as well. Kamiya himself recommended "Exit to title" in his LP IIRC, so they might have as well saved everyone the hassle.

Draconian

Just finished it tonight. This was an absolute masterpiece. I'm going to start another playthrough sometime soon, but between this game and the first one that came with it, I've been on a Bayonetta kick for about a month solid. They do such a great job making you feel powerful, and the combat feels so awesome. The only complaint I really have is the rotate the left thumbstick finishers are just bad and need to go. Outside of that, they truly got rid of everything that bothered me about the first game (which is still fun). Anyway, I can't wait to start my next playthrough sometime soon!

Just finished it tonight. This was an absolute masterpiece. I'm going to start another playthrough sometime soon, but between this game and the first one that came with it, I've been on a Bayonetta kick for about a month solid. They do such a great job making you feel powerful, and the combat feels so awesome. The only complaint I really have is the rotate the left thumbstick finishers are just bad and need to go. Outside of that, they truly got rid of everything that bothered me about the first game (which is still fun). Anyway, I can't wait to start my next playthrough sometime soon!

I hated the rotate QTs as well... until I read (and confirmed) that you can actually rotate both sticks for double the power.

You're welcome! :)

Draconian

I hated the rotate QTs as well... until I read (and confirmed) that you can actually rotate both sticks for double the power.

You're welcome! :)

Whoa what? That makes sense then! I was wondering if it was even physically possible for me to turn the thumbstick the amount of times they wanted me to.

El Odio

Banned
any tips on the ace pilot achievement? is it better to use the regular plane or the airwing? i tried on the lowest setting and nothing :(
As someone who did this the other day I used the regular jet and mainly just shot at everything, only using the alt attack for the Cachets that lined up close by near the end. If you miss an enemy just go back to the title and reload since it'll still keep track of the challenge.

Astral Dog

Speaking about that part, im not sure why it gets soo much praise, its a cute referenc but gets old quick, what made Star Fox 64 is that the environment was always changing, while here is just the same backdrop with the enemies on the same positions,
Its too long, before it was better on the Masked Lumen Chapter, a final proper level was missed.

Also, some story nonsense, but
i got the feeling that Bayonetta 2 is much more lighthearted than the first game, there is less blood, the colors are nice but remove the ambiance the first game had, the tone is more silly and ridiculous,the outfits are too exaggerated, in the case of Luka and Aesir, that make their scenes stupid, the second game tries to be more melodramatic or serious, but at the same time the tone is such a mess that im surprised it bothered me.

Ninja Dom

I finished the game on 2nd Climax, my first play through. An absolute breeze once I equipped my regular Moon of Maha-Kalaa. Much shorter than Bayonetta 1, it took me 6 hours less to beat it but I already had Bayonetta 1 skills.

Teknoman

Speaking about that part, im not sure why it gets soo much praise, its a cute referenc but gets old quick, what made Star Fox 64 is that the environment was always changing, while here is just the same backdrop with the enemies on the same positions,
Its too long, before it was better on the Masked Lumen Chapter, a final proper level was missed.

Also, some story nonsense, but
i got the feeling that Bayonetta 2 is much more lighthearted than the first game, there is less blood, the colors are nice but remove the ambiance the first game had, the tone is more silly and ridiculous,the outfits are too exaggerated, in the case of Luka and Aesir, that make their scenes stupid, the second game tries to be more melodramatic or serious, but at the same time the tone is such a mess that im surprised it bothered me.

I just wish the summon finishers had as much impact as the first game. They seem kinda weak by comparison. That and sometimes they just seem like a mishmash of stuff.

At any rate, I feel compelled to never use continues since I know it brings the ranking down...but at the same time... I dunno.

EDIT: Wait, do items have an effect on rank in any stylish action game to date? If not, i've been playing them all wrong since DMC1.

Ninja Dom

Continues don't affect you as much as Bayonetta 1. In the first game using just one continue meant that you got a Stone Award at the end of the level. On Bayonetta 2 it still brings your ranking down but not as much. On my 2nd Climax playthrough on Bayonetta 2 I used one continue in one level and still got a Silver rank.

But yeah, avoid Continues.

Nemmy

I just wish the summon finishers had as much impact as the first game. They seem kinda weak by comparison. That and sometimes they just seem like a mishmash of stuff.

At any rate, I feel compelled to never use continues since I know it brings the ranking down...but at the same time... I dunno.

EDIT: Wait, do items have an effect on rank in any stylish action game to date? If not, i've been playing them all wrong since DMC1.

The Wicked Weaves are so nerfed in Bayo 2 it's not even funny. I'm guessing it's to accomodate for Umbran Climax, but the end result is that I don't feel nearly as powerful in the sequel as I did in the original game. Easily my biggest gripe with 2.

Items decrease your rank in DMC 1 and 3 for sure (I think 4 as well but can't remember), and in the original Bayonetta. I think only some items count against your final rank in W101, while MGR doesn't give a fuck about them.
I almost never use them regardless, as I have this "using items = suckage" thing etched in my brain since DMC days. It just feels wrong, penalized by the game or not.

Continues don't affect you as much as Bayonetta 1. In the first game using just one continue meant that you got a Stone Award at the end of the level. On Bayonetta 2 it still brings your ranking down but not as much. On my 2nd Climax playthrough on Bayonetta 2 I used one continue in one level and still got a Silver rank.

But yeah, avoid Continues.

Not true. Each continue brings your rank down by one level in Bayonetta 1. So if your medals give you a Gold but you died twice, you get a Bronze Award. Pretty sure Bayo 2 does the same or similar.

Q8D3vil

It's a little less consistent than 1. Not quite as bad as W101, but I could see how someone might find it jarring.
Yeah, especially since i've been gaming mostly in 120fps (or 60fps 3d) for the last 3 years.
i feel the game is kinda better after the opening chapter, the filter made the game look like shit.

Teknoman

The Wicked Weaves are so nerfed in Bayo 2 it's not even funny. I'm guessing it's to accomodate for Umbran Climax, but the end result is that I don't feel nearly as powerful in the sequel as I did in the original game. Easily my biggest gripe with 2.

Items decrease your rank in DMC 1 and 3 for sure (I think 4 as well but can't remember), and in the original Bayonetta. I think only some items count against your final rank in W101, while MGR doesn't give a fuck about them.
I almost never use them regardless, as I have this "using items = suckage" thing etched in my brain since DMC days. It just feels wrong, penalized by the game or not.

Thats my problem. Now in Bayo 2...especially during 3rd Climax, you really seem to have to use items...or at least I did near the end.

I dont just mean the wicked weave combo finishers though, I mean the demons you summon to finish off a boss. In Bayo 1 they felt really...visceral for lack of a better word, and the angels seemed like they were frantically trying to escape but to no avail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSH8vS-vEnY

Climax finishers are what i'm talking about.

Nemmy

Thats my problem. Now in Bayo 2...especially during 3rd Climax, you really seem to have to use items...or at least I did near the end.

I dont just mean the wicked weave combo finishers though, I mean the demons you summon to finish off a boss. In Bayo 1 they felt really...visceral for lack of a better word, and the angels seemed like they were frantically trying to escape but to no avail.

OK, I understand what you meant now. And I agree. I hardly remember what Bayo summoned in 2 most of the time, it seems they mostly relied on Madama Butterfly for finishing bosses, and the sorta boring hydra thing.
I always thought Bayo 1 finishers were quite brutal, or would be if they happened to a human being, at least. The demons ripped the angels' arms off, chomped them in half, swallowed them, etc., and the angels reacted the way you'd expect. And each was choreographed somewhat uniquely, with small touches like the Beloved "falling in love" with Cereza and his heart breaking just before the Gomorrah ends him.
So yeah something's off in Bayo 2 with those. I blame the lack of Kamiya's directing for this, personally. Overall Bayo 2 fails to top the spectacle and scope of 1 I think, which is why it doesn't leave the same impression.

Celegus

OK, I understand what you meant now. And I agree. I hardly remember what Bayo summoned in 2 most of the time, it seems they mostly relied on Madama Butterfly for finishing bosses, and the sorta boring hydra thing.
I always thought Bayo 1 finishers were quite brutal, or would be if they happened to a human being, at least. The demons ripped the angels' arms off, chomped them in half, swallowed them, etc., and the angels reacted the way you'd expect. And each was choreographed somewhat uniquely, with small touches like the Beloved "falling in love" with Cereza and his heart breaking just before the Gomorrah ends him.
So yeah something's off in Bayo 2 with those. I blame the lack of Kamiya's directing for this, personally. Overall Bayo 2 fails to top the spectacle and scope of 1 I think, which is why it doesn't leave the same impression.

Yeah it kind of bummed me out when I finally got to play Bayo 2 after hearing so many reviews and people talking about how nutso off the charts the cutscenes were. Apparently these people never played Bayo 1 or TW101. Still a fun ride, but never really reached that "11" like the final chapter of TW101. That was just pure gaming bliss that might be impossible to top.

Dreavus

Yeah it kind of bummed me out when I finally got to play Bayo 2 after hearing so many reviews and people talking about how nutso off the charts the cutscenes were. Apparently these people never played Bayo 1 or TW101. Still a fun ride, but never really reached that "11" like the final chapter of TW101. That was just pure gaming bliss that might be impossible to top.

Bayo 2 did a great job with those Masked Lumen fights, it was kind of like having a crazy cutscene happening in the background. It doesn't go quite as nuts with the final sequence but the things that happen along the way were pretty damn awesome.

W101 was just fantastic though, I really loved it. I'm actually working my way through the game again on hard and I'm looking forward to the craziness near the end again.

Nemmy

Bayo 2 did a great job with those Masked Lumen fights, it was kind of like having a crazy cutscene happening in the background. It doesn't go quite as nuts with the final sequence but the things that happen along the way were pretty damn awesome.

W101 was just fantastic though, I really loved it. I'm actually working my way through the game again on hard and I'm looking forward to the craziness near the end again.

Masked Lumen was great overall. And the cutscene fights between him and Bayo were miles ahead in choreography compared to Bayo vs Jeanne cutscenes - those seem downright tame when watched after Bayo 2. Shame everything else seems less spectacular. Alraune for instance was a crazy fun boss, and a pretty important one from the story standpoint, but got absolutely zero buildup and zero actual spectacle.
Though I have some mixed feelings about the background in Lumen fights. I had trouble following the action because everything was in constant motion, and I got hit several times because I straight up lost track of where the Lumen was. But maybe that's because I was damn tired and sleep deprived when playing Bayo 2 and it was showing. I'll have to replay it many more times before I make up my mind on it, anyway.

And I still have to finish W101, goddamn.

Ostinatto

I'm fighting lumen sage (chapter XII) on 3rd climax on my first run, and he is Kicking my ass, which weapons or strategy i should use. thanks .

tariniel

Only somewhat related since Bayonetta 2 came with Bayonetta 1, but holy shit bayonetta 1 is hard. I'm playing through it for the first time, before I play Bayonetta 2, and I keep getting stone awards at the end of chapters. It's actually pretty frustrating a lot of times.

Also I really dislike that, arbitrarily, witch time is disabled. There was a chapter ( I think chapter 10 probably), where I ran into a small stairway and two golden dog enemies popped up. Not only are those fuckers incredibly fast, but they disabled witch time too. I've never had to use more healing items than on this fight.

Well it's almost over I suppose. Is bayonetta 2 this hard? I'm playing bayo1 on normal.

I'm fighting lumen sage (chapter XII) on 3rd climax on my first run, and he is Kicking my ass, which weapons or strategy i should use. thanks .
Use Y gun (repeatedly tap Y or charge shot for more dmg) or Kafka and wait for him to attack, dodge, then counter with a stronger weapon during WT. Don't try flailing at him outside of WT or Umbran Climax, his dodge rate is too high.

Adaren

Well it's almost over I suppose. Is bayonetta 2 this hard? I'm playing bayo1 on normal.

Bayo2 is much, much easier on an initial playthrough, even on 3rd Climax. A strong case can be made that Bayo2 is harder when going for Pure Platinums, but Bayo1 is undeniably more punishing to a new player.

Don't worry about getting lots of Stone awards your first time through; it happens to everyone.

Ostinatto

Use Y gun (repeatedly tap Y or charge shot for more dmg) or Kafka and wait for him to attack, dodge, then counter with a stronger weapon during WT. Don't try flailing at him outside of WT or Umbran Climax, his dodge rate is too high.

I did it !!!

Kafka all the way down.

Nemmy

Only somewhat related since Bayonetta 2 came with Bayonetta 1, but holy shit bayonetta 1 is hard. I'm playing through it for the first time, before I play Bayonetta 2, and I keep getting stone awards at the end of chapters. It's actually pretty frustrating a lot of times.

Also I really dislike that, arbitrarily, witch time is disabled. There was a chapter ( I think chapter 10 probably), where I ran into a small stairway and two golden dog enemies popped up. Not only are those fuckers incredibly fast, but they disabled witch time too. I've never had to use more healing items than on this fight.

Stone awards are the most natural thing on the first playthrough.
The witch time disabling enemies are the infamous Gracious and Glorious, the hardest non-boss enemies in the game. The good news for you is that it's the only encounter with them on Normal difficulty (the other two are hidden and non-obligatory).

noshten

Bayo 1 was hard haven't gone back - won't revisit it for Platinum any time soon.
Still have to get all platinum on the final difficulty for Bayo 2 but I've been burned out - I spend like so much time playing 1 & 2 back to back. I need to chill from the game a bit, still my top game of 2015, I just wish I was a little better - still get my ass handed to me in Lumen fights unless I use cheap combos.

Someone needs to give me pointers for Jeane when I do go back to Bayo, I did want to play with her but felt like they amped the difficulty on that character. I'm so used to WT that I cannot envision playing the game without it

Nemmy

Someone needs to give me pointers for Jeane when I do go back to Bayo, I did want to play with her but felt like they amped the difficulty on that character. I'm so used to WT that I cannot envision playing the game without it

Did you play through Infinite Climax in Bayo 1? If not, go for it. By the time you're done with it, you'll forget WT even existed. I'm probably in the minority with this but I actually love playing with no WT, or with manual WT activation through the time bracelet.

noshten

Did you play through Infinite Climax in Bayo 1? If not, go for it. By the time you're done with it, you'll forget WT even existed. I'm probably in the minority with this but I actually love playing with no WT, or with manual WT activation through the time bracelet.

Nope, I think I only finished the Normal and Hard modes on Bayo 1 maybe I started the Infinite Climax playthrough but didn't proceed as I moved on to Bayo 2.

Nemmy

"Goddamn" is the accurate term. It didn't click with you as much? How far are you in?

I finished Operation 003, and it's actually starting to click as a matter of fact. But I got sidetracked with other games and then just wasn't in the mood to get my ass handed to me repeatedly, so I kinda left it there.

Astral Dog

There is less focus on blood in the second game, there is still some, but overall that is toned down, you could say its because the demons don't have blood, but i think there is a little more than that.

Edit: nevermind who cares

I finished Operation 003, and it's actually starting to click as a matter of fact. But I got sidetracked with other games and then just wasn't in the mood to get my ass handed to me repeatedly, so I kinda left it there.

"Sidetracked with other games" s the story of my life, I can sympathize. :D But you should probably try to make a point to get back to it; IMHO it's even better than Bayo2.

NEO0MJ

Wonderful 101 is one those games that are really hard to get back to if you drop it for a long time. I never had any problems going back into Bayonetta on Wii U after last playing it 3 years ago but when I tried replaying some missions from W101 last week but it was just too difficult for me.

Capra

So I finally got around to fighting Father Rodin in 1...

I'm not sure my trigger finger will survive this onslaught.

Top Bottom