• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
95nC9.jpg

This I can lick my phone and taste the salt through my screen. God dayum.
It's an Xbox, straighten up and fly right kids.

Nintendo has been pretty aggressive relatively recently snatching up Japanese IPs/companies; Monolith, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Tecmo IPs etc. They are grabbing them and not letting go (so far). Probably a big part of the reason for the 3ds domination and Vita fail. Not hard to see why either when Nintendo is so relatively rich compared to everyone else. They see their opportunity to seize the market and are taking it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yup. I have been saying this for a while. In general Japanese developers will be more hesitant to make another full leap. I think Nintendo has a real opportunity in Japan.

The end goal of Nintendo, whether they actively realize it or not, will likely become buying out or otherwise arranging exclusive partnerships with developers who don't take well to the next transition. I'd say Platinum, Tecmo, maybe even Sega will keep getting closer and closer until they're basically first party.

Foffy

Banned
Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to the WiiU is reason to be excited because it gives people a reason to actually want to buy the damn system.

Is that not why we buy consoles? For the games?

Clearly not because it's not on the console we're fantasizing in our heads that have yet be announced, silly...

Today is one of those days where I feel shame for liking video games. A cancelled game given a second chance, and people are mad about it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Better go watch that new Last of Us demo then....

I've already played Silent Hill, thank you. ;P. Unless you're talking about all of those object Press X to not die triggers I can plainly see.

Maybe I'm just more experienced at game pattern recognition.

jmizzal

People are being banned by making comments like this some pages ago. Edit or theres no salvation for the stupidity you just have said.

Lol he is acting like bayonetta sold so great on 360, talking about tons and tons, it sold under 1 mil.

If it was a huge seller Sega wouldnt cancel the game

Alrus

And now it does, but only on a single console. That's still a limited choice. I'm not bagging on Platinum at all, its understandable. Doesn't mean I like it. Third-party series going exclusive is always going to be dicey.

But it's still better than no game at all right? This isn't a Soul Calibur 2 to Soul Calibur 3 kind of situation, Sega was never going to make the game and it certainly didn't sell nearly enough to warrant a buyout of the IP by another third party publisher.

mihon

Sega just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Bayonetta 2 for WiiU, nor will they purchase any of Sega's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sega has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sega, publicly apologize and cancel Bayonetta for WiiU or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Whatever. This is not Edo Jidai anymore.

Gilby

You've got that backwards. Zombi U is ABSOLUTELY remaining exclusive; you just can't do most of those controller things on other systems. Rayman? That might be going to another system.

Yeah, I could see Rayman being ported to Vita or 3DS, or maybe the touch levels being made into a separate iphone game.

2San

Nice play Nintendo the first game I really want on the system. Still not convinced to make me buy the system though.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah I was really happy with today's conference. I wanted a WiiU, but this just makes me want it more.

I can't wait for Suda51 to show off NMH3 :D We all know its coming.

demidar

Okay I scanned through this thread.

Thread bloodletting:
spons
Raonak
Mr. RHC
dragonflys545
murderofMonkey
Finalow
Lucc
TheBioLover

Honestly that's way smaller than I expected. Subject to change increase.

Nintendo has been pretty aggressive relatively recently snatching up Japanese IPs/companies; Monolith, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Tecmo IPs etc. They are grabbing them and not letting go (so far). Probably a big part of the reason for the 3ds domination and Vita fail. Not hard to see why either when Nintendo is so relatively rich compared to everyone else. They see their opportunity to seize the market and are taking it.

Part of me is thinking that Nintendo is actually trying to completely dominate the Japanese market in all areas. They know at this time they don't have as much western presence but their Japanese presence is monstrous. They also see blood in the water in regards to Sony's offerings in Japan in regards to the Vita.

Lockdown Japanese 3rd party devs let Sony and Microsoft fight over the western audience that is heavily being divided between mobile/iOS/PC. Japanese gamers don't care too much about western games as much as western gamers playing Japanese games.

Zephyrus

Banned
Some people are indeed being ravenous Nintendo fanboys about this, and you should just ignore them.

However, there are also people who are acting like they'll never be able to play this just because it is exclusive to the Wii U, which is also stupid. If you really want the game, then just get a Wii U. That's what I did back when I was a GameCube fanboy but wanted Kingdom Hearts and Ratchet & Clank.

As for the whole "console of choice" thing, yeah. That does suck. But given the situation this game was in, it was either all or nothing. Surely not having it on the platform you're most comfortable with is better than the game not existing at all.

And Nintendo is mostly about family friendly games, yes. But that's certainly not all they do. Metroid never struck me as being all that family friendly, and that's one of their classic franchises.
My problem is that I only get to pick one console. I have to pay for college and a home and I don't make enough to buy two systems and support them.

So it strikes me as odd why someone would be happy that a game is exclusive to one system.

But having to choose between this game being exclusive to a system I probably won't buy or not having it being made at all, I choose it being exclusive.

Rayis

You know, It'd be funny if this game sold more than Bayonetta did on both PS3/360 combined, It's unlikely but if it does it'd be kinda cool

IrishNinja

made it about 10 pages in, the tears and port-begging....wow. Epic Mickey, with shades of MGS4.

The bitter tears are amazing!

GAF: "Fuck this being a WiiU exclusive, this is bullshit."

Common Sense: This game WOULDN'T EXIST if not for Nintendo.

pretty much. last sentence should maybe be in OP.

omg the queen is back omg omgomg omgomgofgmsdfbli

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, how the fuck will i cope GAF

how the FUCK WILL I COPE

im here for you, Satch!

Some of the reactions to this news really make it hard to not think that, beneath Nintendo criticism, there really is just a practically religious meme that "Nintendo is LOL stupid kiddy and sux", no matter WHAT Nintendo could ever do or say.

There's so much rationalization flying around right now, denying what is happening in front of people's eyes.

Nintendo is doing exactly what they said they'd do, in spite of all the skepticism leveled at them.

They are doing what it takes to make Wii U the 'something for everyone' platform, they are getting the hardest of the hardcore niche titles like Bayonetta locked down, they're getting Monster Hunter. They pull out a fully respectable and intriguing showing of Call of Duty, replete with features that genuinely interest like IR gameplay options and full play on the controller itself.

But as Opiate said, there is no magical aura around a console or even brand that forever defines what it is. People seem to think there are only two kinds of set top game box: LOL KIDDY TOY and HARDCORE COME AT ME BROWARE. It's like it is breaking brains wide open, the notion that this thing is actually trying to do everything, and there is a possibility it might actually succeed.

brilliant post, as ever.

Rayman: Legends
Bayonetta 2

2 HUGE third party exclusives. Wow...

What's next?
Shenmue 3 Wii U exclusive would be a game-changer!

aw man, don't tease! really though, id take it on a DC emulator at this point.

wrowa

That it came alive today was a huge surprise for me, and might mean the deal was extremely recent, but I am still absolutely overjoyed it exists now where, just six months ago, I was 100% sure it didn't.

Maybe Nintendo spends the money that was supposed to be spend on Eternal Darkness 2 now on Bayonetta 2 instead, lol.

Disappointing news for me personally, I have no real interest in the Wii-U, not at the price it is now and will probably even two years from now, especially with the next-gen twins bearing down.

Glad this game exists, big shame if it was a real multiplat contender at one point then moneyhat'd away and locked up tightly. But, if Nintendo did help bankroll or backed a troubled or unsure title, where others didn't than GOOD for them.

i agree with this completely..

this thread delivers in another way though, it REALLY points out the zealots of Nintendo, who take it extremely personal when you say you don't like their sacred cow, so much so that even daring to say that you still won't buy the wiiu is like some irrational pathetic thing.

Mxrz

Why though? You can see Nintendo is the publisher, its a done deal, and this game probably wouldn't have happened if not for this kind of deal. 'Voicing disappointment', to my mind, is only a small step away from port begging -- it's utterly pointless.

Gears of War is an exclusive third party title on 360, I haven't really seen people asking for those. Where is Left 4 Dead 2 on PS3? The first one was ported, where's the second? It happens.

What the hell? You really think being disappointing over the exclusiveness of a sequel to a game you liked is akin to port begging? Good grief.

And Gears was always published by MS. Left 4 dead, as far as I know, has never been on anything but 360 & PC. Hardly the same situation, but whatever. Don't question the glory of Nintendo or something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know, It'd be funny if this game sold more than Bayonetta did on both PS3/360 combined, It's unlikely but if it does it'd be kinda cool

Well that's a pretty low bar to be honest, so it's not entirely impossible if Nintendo really supports the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom