• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppi

QFYq1.gif

I say gotdamn. I guess this is a big deal? Yeah, it seems to be a big deal..

Yep. A meltdown if I ever saw one.
Loving it! Great to see the franchise saved. :D

ironcreed

Banned
How do you think audiences are created? Do you think system fanbases are created out of thin air?

Do you think if Bayonetta, GTA V, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, and Final Fantasy XV were all announced as Wii U exclusives, that fans would just sit back and say, "but that is a platform for casuals! I shall not buy it!"

A platform isn't defined by some magical aura which permeates reality and transcends generational gaps. It's defined by what games are on a system.

Exactly, this shows that they are serious about making the kinds of moves that will get the core PS3/360 crowd to buy their console. I am encouraged to see that they know and acknowledge that there are plenty of us who have simply been waiting for them to give us reasons to buy into Nintendo again. If they release a bunch of multiplats that I can already play on my PS3 or 360, why the hell would I buy a Wii U? Mario, Zelda and Metroid just does not do it for many of us anymore. So I'll say again, keep it up Nintendo. I like what I am seeing.

Yuterald

I can't believe people are begging for ports. What the fuck kind of Platinum fan are you!? Are you not interested in The Wonderful 101 either? I just can't understand how ANYONE could be disappointed with TWO Platinum game announcements. Just fucking get over it and deal with it!

Platinum just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U, nor will they purchase any of Platinum's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Platinum has alienated an entire market with this move.

Platinum, publicly apologize and make Bayonetta 2 multiplatform or you can kiss your business goodbye.

TheChits

Ugh! I couldn't be more divided on this annoucnement. As much as I want a Bayonetta 2, I don't want a god damn Wii U. I hope this is some timed exclusive bs becuase I don't know what Platinum Games is thinking putting their best and most "hardcore" franchise on a console whos little bro was known for being so casual. I don't know what type of audience they think is going to buy the Wii U.

i've been reading lots of "this is a system seller for me" or "day 1"....but what about the general public? i thought this game sold a modest amount.

It's not a game that will sell more than a million units, tops. But it's a game that will get "core" gamers (or for the sake of argument, people who don't traditionally buy Nintendo games) to invest in the platform, and they will buoy sales of other multiplatform third party titles, which will garner more support for the console as developers gain faith that their games will make money.

So there are two possible narratives here:

1) Bayonetta was going to be on all platforms, then Nintendo "moneyhatted" the game and made it an exclusive.

2) Bayonetta was dead, and Nintendo revived it to publish it as an exclusive.

Based on what we know so far, the second explanation seems far more likely, but we'll likely never know for sure.

Yes, I also think the second explanation is the true one.
Kamiya (I think) said more than once that Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2.
I think it was even made official by Sega themselves. So Nintendo came to the rescue and I love them all over again.

GAF, Today and for the rest of the week, I shall be the number one Nintendo fanboy. I am truly sorry.

i've been reading lots of "this is a system seller for me" or "day 1"....but what about the general public? i thought this game sold a modest amount.

Gotta love the "bububu it's not a system seller" posts :-DDDD Obviously the Wii U is not going to sell because of B2, but who the fuck cares, if it's half as good as the original :-D

Zia

Just imagine if Nintendo allows them to toy with and reference the company's history, like Platinum did with Sega in the first game...

Threi

notag
heh just found out about this announcement, called blatant fanboyism on both sides in the thread...got proved right

stay predictable gaf

duckroll

Btw, if Nintendo keeps Platinum Games happy, I'm fairly certain they can keep their games exclusive from now on. That's the key point I think, whether as a first party publisher, they can publish the games Platinum makes with a level of success, and continue working with them. If it doesn't work out though, Platinum will no doubt want to hawk their wares on other platforms as well in future.

so we have a weird situation where the ip owner is SEGA, publisher is Nintendo and developer is Platinum? This is so strange, the situation reminds me of licensed games.
From what I understand, Kamiya was given full creative control on the condition that SEGA owns the IP. It was one or the other.

Seems like he made the right choice.

This is the greatest and most appropriate post you've ever made.

I don't even know what to say about this news. Honestly, I'm very skeptical how this will turn out, and I wasn't planning on getting a WiiU. Pikmin, newly renamed P-100, and now this - got a lot of thinking to do.

Fun teaser though.

Btw, if Nintendo keeps Platinum Games happy, I'm fairly certain they can keep their games exclusive from now on. That's the key point I think, whether as a first party publisher, they can publish the games Platinum makes with a level of success, and continue working with them. If it doesn't work out though, Platinum will no doubt want to hawk their wares on other platforms as well in future.

Both mortified and thrilled at this prospect.

Moaradin

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U, nor will they purchase any of Platinum's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Platinum has alienated an entire market with this move.

Platinum, publicly apologize and make Bayonetta 2 multiplatform or you can kiss your business goodbye.

LMAO

Tain

Ugh! I couldn't be more divided on this annoucnement. As much as I want a Bayonetta 2, I don't want a god damn Wii U. I hope this is some timed exclusive bs becuase I don't know what Platinum Games is thinking putting their best and most "hardcore" franchise on a console whos little bro was known for being so casual. I don't know what type of audience they think is going to buy the Wii U.

This is how it starts.

Look at the 360 when it started getting its first Japanese arcade games, and look at the juggernaut of a library that it has now when it comes to that area.

consoles don't mean shit, play games

Eideka

Banned

clap_gif_klatschen_funny.gif

Monocle

There are some amazing salty tears in this thread.
Has anyone done an "I'm an expert" post yet? Someone should do one.

Edit:

Good man.

LQX

Fucking disappointed it will be on WiiU only but at least I have a reason to buy one and the best news off all is that that we are at least getting a Bayonetta 2.

Talamius

Nintendo should just start bankrolling beloved but dead Sega IPs as Wii U exclusives as a 3rd party strategy.

A new Streets of Rage, Daytona USA, Shenmue...who owns the rights to Chromehounds? FROM or Sega?

Radec

Haha, fucking Nintendo you genius fucks.

Now I have a real reason to buy the WiiU

Fucking awesome. :D

I hope it runs in Full HD @ 60 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom