• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo is publishing this. It won't appear on another console.

To be fair, Microsoft published Ninja Gaiden 2. However, Sega clearly didn't have any interest in publishing this for PS3/360.

IMO, if Nintendo did step in and save this game to publish as a Wii U exclusive, they deserve all the sales. All of them!

Arklite

Wow I came into this thread excited and expecting to find a ton of positive words toward the game. What gives GAF? You love Bayonetta, beg for a sequel, then suddenly turn on it when it is announced? I don't get it.

No one is turning on "it" man. We love it. It's just now on a console costing a few hundred dollars that many people had little interest in (BAYO people, Not in general), effectively locking us out unless we cough up the dough.

LowParry

So $300+to play some Bayo 2? Psh. Who am I kidding. Soon as Zelda drops, I'll be buying my Zelda machine and check out Bayo 2. Very surprised to see revived.

I think that, for a broad variety of reasons, Nintendo is outside what I shall call the Cool Kids Club in the gaming universe.

The Cool Kids Club is loosely associated with sales (games like GTA are in this club, as is Elder Scrolls) but is not entirely dictated by it (games like Bioshock are definitely in this club, even though it's not an enormous seller).

If you consider it, think of all the influential developers in the medium -- the ones who other developers want to follow, and look up to. While we can quibble about a few names, I suspect most would agree the list includes names like Valve, Kojima, Rockstar, Irrational, Bethesda, Blizzard, Naughty Dog.

Nintendo hasn't gotten a real effort from any of these leaders of the Cool Kids Club for a long, long time. Despite their massive success with the Wii, they never got a game from Ken Levine, or the Houser Brothers, or from Epic. They never got a game from Bethesda, either. Or Valve. Or Square's Final Fantasy team, even, despite their relative decline of status in this club.

That is what they need to change. It is these few development houses that other lesser known developers look up to; Nintendo needs to find a way to get these developers on board, because pretty much the entirety of the "core" audience is led by these dozen or so developers. Where they go, others will follow.

Platinum is not Valve, or Rockstar, but they're on the periphery of this trend setting, Cool-Kids-Club group. That is my position on the issue.

Nicely Said, I approve.

Raye

Neo Member
Whoa! Nintendo dropping bombs!

Not really considering picking up a Wii-U anytime near the launch window (that could very well change with the right announcements!), but I'm pretty happy that Bayonetta 2 is actually a thing now. That game deserves exist!

Linkhero1

lol at all the people confused that a Nintendo published title is Wii U exclusive.

Sad, isn't it? You can expect this reaction throughout the day. It's even more sad to see that people don't understand that this would have still been dead until Nintendo decided to step in.

To be fair, Microsoft published Ninja Gaiden 2. However, Sega clearly didn't have any interest in publishing this for PS3/360.

IMO, if Nintendo did step in and save this game to publish as a Wii U exclusive, they deserve all the sales. All of them!

That's true, but that's Tecmo Koei. I don't think Sega will go behind Nintendo's back and publish this on another console.

Cipherr

AFAIK thats the exception rather than the rule. It doesnt ever really happen except for like....two times.

Did anyone make the touch screen jokes already?

This is ripe for a certain.... 'screencap' captioned with "Touching is good"

"Clearly" is not a word I'd use here.

Only the delusional would seriously be even considering that this is anything other than exclusive.

jerd

No one is turning on "it" man. We love it. It's just now on a console costing a few hundred dollars that many people had little interest in, effectively locking us out unless we cough up the dough.

I wouldn't say no one ;-). I should have been more clear, I was referring to the crazy "going to be a bad game", "nothing original", and "6.5" mostly when I said turning on it, but the others are strange too. It seems as though Nintendo basically saved the game right?

v1oz

To be quite honest I'd rather they made a Madworld sequel than Bayonetta.

Does anyone know who owns the rights to the Bayonetta franchise now?

Sunglasses-shocked-reaction.gif

fly me to the Moon....

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nintendo : "Hey guys, we managed to save the Bayonetta franchise, what do you say about that? :)"

Anti-Nintendo dude : "FUCK YOU NINTENDO."

Nintendo : "Why. :("

Why the fuck are you lying in his face? Seriously, what the fuck do you think? Here's your original post:

Where exactly do you get the courage to claim you did NOT call it a button masher? Are you really such an idiot or do you just think the person you're replying to is one? Seriously, wtf? Jesus Christ, why? Do people enjoy making asses of themselves? Or do you just hope to confuse the person you're replying to? What. The. Fuck.

Don't have a heart attack buddy

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hahaha, I saw it on Nintendo Direct and I knew today's a funny day on GAF.

I'm glad I've seen so many GAF meltdowns related to Nintendo:

- The Smash Brothers Brawl announcement featuring Snake
- The Monster Hunter 3 exclusive
- The Dragon Quest IX exclusive
- The Dragon Quest X exclusive (less impactful than IX though, people expected it)

And now this. Makes me wonder if Sakurai was responsible for the networking:

Sakurai: Osu Bossu.
Iwata: *laughs*
Sakurai: Yesterday I went to Kamiya-san and his team was sooo sad that bayonetta 2 is cancelled. Would you publish it? It only costs a Zelda fairy.
Iwata: *laughs*

99% sure Sakurai was the major factor in all this, or at least his connections to Kamiya and Platinum.

Remember this thread?

MormaPope

Banned
No one is turning on "it" man. We love it. It's just now on a console costing a few hundred dollars that many people had little interest in (BAYO people, Not in general), effectively locking us out unless we cough up the dough.

This. 1000x This

No one has a problem with Bayonetta 2 existing, but the fact that it's being released on a divisive console makes this situation shitty for Bayonetta 1 fans not interested in Wii-U.

Why is this idea so hard to understand? Buying a console for one specific game is never wise, there will be other decent games on Wii-U, but I'm not interested in any of those games.

Empty

∀ Narayan;42076485 said:
I don't care. I want a sequel to Vanquish. Doesn't have to be on PC.

would be all over the wii u if this comes out of nintendo's platinum partnership. i know mikami has left but the fundamentals are already in place and they're so fucking good that all it needs is new levels and bosses which platinum's staff are more than capable of doing to a high standard.

StuBurns

Banned
AFAIK thats the exception rather than the rule. It doesnt ever really happen except for like....two times.
It is, but this isn't exactly the 'rule' when it comes to publishing. Picking up a cancelled game from your peers systems, and publishing it, while the original publisher retains franchise ownership. This is far from the norm.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is the only example I can think of where a first party published an IP owned by another publisher. There was another one by MS, which was also ported to PS3, but I can't remember what it was, I think that one was only published by MS outside of Japan though.

EDIT: Unless you count after the fact, Nintendo are publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for example.

Jawmuncher

Nintendo : "Hey guys, we managed to save the Bayonetta franchise, what do you say about that? :)"

Anti-Nintendo dude : "FUCK YOU NINTENDO."

Nintendo : "Why. :("

In most regards im pretty much an anti nintendo guy.
I own a wii but barely play it same with the 3DS.

But this is just awesome, im really looking forward to what the future holds from nintendo.
Since it looks like they want to start going a Playstation of America route where their publishing games from E to M

ezekial45

Banned
This. 1000x This

No one has a problem with Bayonetta 2 existing, but the fact that it's being released on a divisive console makes this situation shitty for Bayonetta 1 fans not interested in Wii-U.

Why is this idea so hard to understand? Buying a console for one specific game is never wise, there will be other decent games on Wii-U, but I'm not interested in any of those games.

Again, it was either this or nothing. Bayonetta 2 on the 360/PS3 was cancelled because not enough people bought it. This is a second chance for the series.

Not my type of game but good for those who want this. Played a bit of the first and found it to be a button masher, although you could do far more complex combos and moves but it didn't feel necessary, a lot like DMC4. Good for Nintendo for securing a solid exclusive.

I was told to re-read this post, because apparently according to the poster, he never says in it that bayonetta and DMC4 are button mashers. I dunno gaf maybe you can figure it out.

jerd

I will say I feel your pain though. I only had a gamecube last gen and missed out on quite a few multiplats. I sincerely hope more good stuff comes from Wii U that interests people so that they can have more of a reason to buy it than just Bayonetta. The game (and in my opinion console) deserve to be had, and nothing is more frustrating than feeling that you only want a system for 1-2 games.

Linkhero1

This. 1000x This

So you would rather have this game be in it's grave than playable? Sega was not willing to publish it so what now? If you don't like the console or plan on buying other games for it then maybe play it at a friends house? I mean you must have at least one friend who plans on buying the Wii U, right?

Yeah, but people are saying that it's impossible for this to show up on PS3/360, which it's not. There is a precedent for it. I just don't think it's likely at all.

It's impossible if Nintendo wants it to be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom