• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not reaching, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just wanted to see if he could justify his position with any logical argument. I don't think it's ever going multiplatform.

History with Nintendo published titles. It's illogical to think this will be ported elsewhere.

It's also illogical to believe that Sega is funding this project.

Looking at this broadly -- adding Monster Hunter in to the mix, for example -- it does appear Nintendo has a legitimate window to pick up games, particularly Japanese games, which can't reasonably make the leap to HD+ budgets, or whatever we want to call PS4/720 budgets, but are nonetheless not handheld games.

I'm not sure how large that swathe of titles is, but it exists, and Nintendo may be able to fit in to that space. As for major western developers, I feel their only real hope is to get multiplatform versions of the big games, and even that may be a stretch.

Yeah I made a post like this back a few pages back and I fully believe this might be Nintendo's Wii U plan.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That would obviously be an amazing win for Nintendo to have one of the best Japanese third-party studios making a variety of high quality games for it (both cartoony and mature IPs). Unfortunately,I doubt Platinum Games wants to be stuck with one console manufacturer even though it has clearly shown Nintendo platforms some love on both Wii and DS and now even more on Wii U.

Nintendo buying Platinum would be incredible, and would basically mean that they have almost all of the Japanese talent I care about these days (Platinum, Monolith, Sakurai and EAD)

Looking at this broadly -- adding Monster Hunter in to the mix, for example -- it does appear Nintendo has a legitimate window to pick up games, particularly Japanese games, which can't reasonably make the leap to HD+ budgets, or whatever we want to call PS4/720 budgets, but are nonetheless not handheld games.

I'm not sure how large that swathe of titles is, but it exists, and Nintendo may be able to fit in to that space. As for major western developers, I feel their only real hope is to get multiplatform versions of the big games, and even that may be a stretch.

I think there is another argument to be made here - beyond just Nintendo trying to pick up series that would not leap in to next generation - that companies that made money on the Wii are giving the Wii U at least equal support to that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Selling a million is a bomb? Isn't that about what Bayonetta sold?

I know that for insanely bloated megablockbuster games a million is a bomb, but I doubt Bayonetta approached that.

Well, at what I've heard was a $30 million prospective budget (sans marketing) for this one, I would say that an outlook of ~1 million shipped would be unappealing to Sega, especially given that niche games at console retail are selling worse these days.

I don't care that it's an exclusive. I don't care that Nintendo is publishing. I'M JUST SO EXCITED TO SEE MY GIRL ALIVE AGAIN. Why all the saltiness about no multiplatform? It wasn't even going to be MADE otherwise, SEGA had dropped that shit!.

I'm going to buy the shit out of WII U and play the SHIT out of this game!!

tumblr_m15bziikVy1qjww3zo1_1280.jpg

SO HYPED.

Delio

Lacking interest does not mean hatred. I'm not sure the reactions are surprising when one user base is dying to play some new Bayonetta and then it goes to a completely different user base.

Bayonetta apparently wasn't considered enough of a success on two systems, so I'm not sure how this is going to fare on a single console with a fraction of the original supporters on board. Platinum needs to succeed somewhere, though.

Huh? But this is a new console that is trying to build it's userbase. If this was the Wii I'd understand but...

EGM1966

Curious to see how this one sells.

Titles jumping platform all the time is sure starting to get annoying though - between this happening on consoles and stuff like having ME1 and 2 on Steam and 3 on Origin I'm getting fairly annoyed at how business maneuvering is basically acting as a irritant to me as the customer.

I just remembered that this console is region-locked, because Nintendo is stuck in the 2005 past or something.

ugh, this is going to be a tough call. I need a Wii U either way, but now I might have to jump on the Japanese launch.

talk about anti-consumer BS
This game has been confirmed worldwide.

I'm bitter about the region-locking too, but at least they haven't announced any amazing Japan-exclusives yet. (Except maybe DQX if Squeenix still hates us)

And guys, again, it's a next-gen system. Maybe the graphics will be significantly worse than the other two, but the other two don't have the tablet controller. It will occupy its own niche.

I think the best thing that could happen at this point is that the 3 systems are different enough from each other that they all get their own libraries of unique games that you can't really play on the other systems. That way everyone can stop arguing over which system won.

StuBurns

Banned
History with Nintendo published titles. It's illogical to think this will be ported elsewhere.
And before Ninja Gaiden 2, the history of MS's published titles would have you believe that would be exclusive too. I don't see that as logical.

And Nintendo are publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for WiiU, they have published multiplatform games at this point. So even if history mattered, and it doesn't, it wouldn't indicate exclusivity as a certainty.
It's also illogical to believe that Sega is funding this project.
I disagree with that. I think it's logical to imagine they are actually, the fact they haven't sold the IP to me suggests Sega intend to own the franchise, and in turn, own the games, which I imagine is easier contractually if they fund them themselves.

Opiate

Lacking interest does not mean hatred. I'm not sure the reactions are surprising when one user base is dying to play some new Bayonetta and then it goes to a completely different user base.

Bayonetta apparently wasn't considered enough of a success on two systems, so I'm not sure how this is going to fare on a single console with a fraction of the original supporters on board. Platinum needs to succeed somewhere, though.

Right, we need to draw a distinction here. What you have explicitly stated, for example, is that Nintendo platforms do not as of now have enough games to interest you personally, and therefore a single game by itself is insufficient.

So you are fine with Nintendo getting support, you'd just rather it wasn't a single isolated game. This reasonable position must be made distinct from posts like these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42077182&postcount=1189

Hope PS4 and 720 release soon enough before nintendo get more exclusivities.

Where people actively and openly root for Nintendo to not get support of any kind. Speaking of which, time to moderate.

Looking at this broadly -- adding Monster Hunter in to the mix, for example -- it does appear Nintendo has a legitimate window to pick up games, particularly Japanese games, which can't reasonably make the leap to HD+ budgets, or whatever we want to call PS4/720 budgets, but are nonetheless not handheld games, and are "core" focused titles.

I think this is exactly where Nintendo would be able to grab my attention. It'd be surreal if Wii U turned into the platform that resurrected a genre like survival horror.

Arklite

Huh? But this is a new console that is trying to build it's userbase. If this was the Wii I'd understand but...

This is a good thing to attract some fans over for Nintendo, but the game now has to find a new base, it can't rely on the established one and lets face it, Platinum needs all the scraps support it can get with its titles.

If Nintendo truly funded the development of project with even $1 aside from publishing then its really hard to see it go multiplatform (See Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes).

To me, the interesting thing is that Sega has not debuted a Sonic platformer for the system.

Sonic games do extraordinarily well on Nintendo systems and Sonic Racing alone isn't going to help migrate that base over.

The Wii U userbase?

you mean the userbase of 0 whole people?

Everybody is going to have to buy the system if they want to play this.

If it isn't enough for you the don't buy it.

This is like people being mad if TLG (lol) gets moved to the PS4.

You can feel bittersweet over it because more than likely you aren't interested in the Wii U (that's legit) but other than that..c'mon.

It's better than no game at all. Now all you gotta do is wait for 10 or so more games to make you interested.

WHy would you buy a Wii U?

To play Bayonetta 2. Unless you're saying Bayonetta 2 will be obsolete. Which is just weird.

I mean, I can't play Bayonetta 2 on an any other platform, so that's why I would buy a Wii U. To play games. On that platform. That I can't find anywhere else.

Like Bayonetta 2.

I don't buy consoles to play 1 exclusive game. Not anymore at least.

Like I said, WiiU only appeals to people who like Nintendo games... and that's pretty much it.

the first bayonetta sold one million?

You sure? If true it seems odd Sega would let go of one of their best selling IP's at the moment. And they know how badly they need sales.
1 million, worldwide, across all consoles.

SEGA decided there wasn't a good enough chance that a second game would sell significantly more than the first game, and cancelled it because they have decided they will no longer take risks as a company. Bayonetta 2 is a risk, not an assured success. This way, they won't lose any money.

Tain

This game has been confirmed worldwide.

I assumed it would be worldwide, but by buying a console I have to pick a region, which amounts to a gamble. What games are going to be developed? What games are going to make it to North America? What will the English support be like for certain import titles?

So I have to take a wild guess upon buying the machine, and I might even have to buy two Wii Us to play everything I want to play depending on how support pans out.

Sucks. It's the worst. The absolute worst.

Kusagari

To me, the interesting thing is that Sega has not debuted a Sonic platformer for the system.

Sonic games do extraordinarily well on Nintendo systems and Sonic Racing alone isn't going to help migrate that base over.

They're waiting to unveil the Sonic/Mario platformer we've all been waiting for.

StuBurns

Banned
If Nintendo truly funded the development of project with even $1 aside from publishing then its really hard to see it go multiplatform (See Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes).
There's no reason to think TTS was ever intended to go multiplatform. KojiPro have specifically said it wasn't included in the HD Collection because it's not by Kojima, no mention of contracts. Although that's the kind of thing a publisher would lie about, they've also never put it out on any other Nintendo system. They could have put it on 3DS, and they didn't.

demidar

This is a good thing to attract some fans over for Nintendo, but the game now has to find a new base, it can't rely on the established one and lets face it, Platinum needs all the scraps support it can get with its titles.

Yeah, because its old user base was big enough for how great the game was.

Oh wait.

i-Lo

Well played Nintendo, well played. I really want to play this game but not as much as people who want to buy the console for it. Then again, Nintendo just saved the franchise from being cast into oblivion.

waypoetic

Banned
Lol. No. I'm not buying a silly ass Nintendo console because of this game. Total suicide on their part - they'd sell tons and tons more on PS360.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right, we need to draw a distinction here. What you have explicitly stated, for example, is that Nintendo platforms do not as of now have enough games to interest you personally, and therefore a single game by itself is insufficient.

So you are fine with Nintendo getting support, you'd just rather it wasn't a single isolated game. This reasonable position must be made distinct from posts like these:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42077182&postcount=1189

Where people actively and openly root for Nintendo to not get support of any kind. Speaking of which, time to moderate.

To add to this, on a more general note, we also enforce appropriate thread use.

An announcement thread is fairly appropriate to discuss platform choice in, but the following information threads are significantly less so.

If there's a thread titled "Platinum explains why Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive", then that would be another thread appropriate for such discussion, but "New Bayonetta 2 screenshots and trailer" would very likely not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom