• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't buy consoles to play 1 exclusive game. Not anymore at least.

Like I said, WiiU only appeals to people who like Nintendo games... and that's pretty much it.

And now people who like Bayonetta. And people who think Wonderful 101 looks interesting. And Rayman Legends. And ZombiU. Six months from now this list will be even longer.

Seriously, this is how you make your console appeal to people who don't just like Nintendo games: by getting other games on it.

This and Ninja Gaiden 3 aren't very Nintendo-esqe titles, so it's nice to see Nintendo stepping outside their comfort zone.

I'd love to see Nintendo working with more Japanese third party studios and building a great library.

Zephyrus

Banned
This is a good thing to attract some fans over for Nintendo, but the game now has to find a new base, it can't rely on the established one and lets face it, Platinum needs all the scraps support it can get with its titles.

honestly, were it not for the fact that in one year we'll get the new ps and xbox systems, Nintendo would've won me over. They are pushing for some really great titles for wiiU's launch.

I'd say Nintendo is doing the smart thing. It might be a little too late, but they're doing the right thing. Time will tell if it'll pay off or the wiiU becoming the same as the wii.

I assumed it would be worldwide, but by buying a console I have to pick a region, which amounts to a gamble. What games are going to be developed? What games are going to make it to North America? What will the English support be like for certain import titles?

So I have to take a wild guess upon buying the machine, and I might even have to buy two Wii Us to play everything I want to play depending on how support pans out.

Sucks. It's the worst. The absolute worst.
I'm in the same boat, I'm assuming I'm gonna need a Japanese Wii U a few years down the line, when enough Japanese-exclusives come out to justify it. It sucks. At least I might be able to use the controller that way instead of buying a second one.

Has anyone actually confirmed region-locking? They didn't mention it and I've just been assuming.

Zeppelin

Lol. No. I'm not buying a silly ass Nintendo console because of this game. Total suicide on their part - they'd sell tons and tons more on PS360.

Dunno about that. I think Platinum must have gotten a decent deal out of it. But sure, they ain't gonna get a sale from me and this sure isn't gonna save the WiiU.

You also have to take into account all of the Wii only dudes who are buying a Wii U, they might buy the game too.

I doubt Nintendo is expecting it to do gangbusters anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
This and Ninja Gaiden 3 aren't very Nintendo-esqe titles, so it's nice to see Nintendo stepping outside their comfort zone.

I'd love to see Nintendo working with more Japanese third party studios and building a great library.
Actually, thinking about it, why are Nintendo bothering with NG3? That's not going to sell anything, and no one is going to care about it. If you don't have Bayo 2, it's a little bed eyes for the 'core', but with Bayo 2, it's completely redundant.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So it's not the same team? I worry it will be Devil may Cry 2 quality.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good portion of the original team on this. They may end up in different roles though, i.e. Hashimoto moving from producer to director.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You also have to take into account all of the Wii only dudes who are buying a Wii U, they might buy the game too.

I doubt Nintendo is expecting it to do gangbusters anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they expect it to be unprofitable.

Audience building usually isn't free.

Hero

Seeing as how tacky Bayonetta was, I'd say the chances are high. Unless Nintendo really wants to distance themselves from Other M.

But Zero Suit Samus debuted in Metroid Zero Mission which was a fantastic remake.

I wouldn't be surprised if they expect it to be unprofitable.

Audience building usually isn't free.

I think it's a Sin & Punishment type deal where this is done for audience building or core appeal instead of making money for sure.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol. No. I'm not buying a silly ass Nintendo console because of this game. Total suicide on their part - they'd sell tons and tons more on PS360.

LOL, is anyone making a wall of shame for this thread?

I am pretty damn excited by this news. will have to buy a pro controller to fully enjoy the game.

Alrus

This is a good thing to attract some fans over for Nintendo, but the game now has to find a new base, it can't rely on the established one and lets face it, Platinum needs all the scraps support it can get with its titles.

Nintendo might actually promote this game in a big way which will be a plus. They usually do a good job promoting exclusive they believe will help them (they also do a terrible job with some of them unfortunately).

This being announced worldwide right off the bat is a nice sign though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
And now people who like Bayonetta. And people who think Wonderful 101 looks interesting. And Rayman Legends. And ZombiU. Six months from now this list will be even longer.

Seriously, this is how you make your console appeal to people who don't just like Nintendo games: by getting other games on it.

And Monster Hunter.

And Black Ops 2 w/ tons of interface options and IR controls.

LOL, is anyone making a wall of shame for this thread?

If only we could tell which folks previously remarked somewhere "Nintendo needs real games if they want me to take them seriously," who are now directly stating "What? I don't care if you have real games Nintendo, your console is silly for serious person like me."

Aeana

So weird that people still have a puritan idea of Nintendo despite games like Conker, BMX XXX, MadWorld, etc.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nintendo might actually promote this game in a big way which will be a plus. They usually do a good job promoting exclusive they believe will help them (they also do a terrible job with some of them unfortunately).

This being announced worldwide right off the bat is a nice sign though.

I'm wondering if the 2 in the title is going to make marketing more difficult then it could be if they go with Bayonetta: Subtitle

KingJ2002

Nintendo Wins...

i knew the Wii U would do this.

i have a feeling many more titles that we've thought disappeared will re-appear on this system.

How many times must it be stated that this game would not have existed on PS3 and 360, ever? SEGA already cancelled it for those platforms. Wii U Exclusive Bayonetta 2 or no Bayonetta 2. Take your pick.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kinda reminds me of the RE4 situation (RE being mainline and connected titles on PS, only to randomly switch to Nintendo) but only with a nicher series.

holy shit when i read all the bullshit in this thread :

the true is

the license belongs to Sega
This is Nintendo that will support the edition of the game in partnership with Sega
PG are developers

Sega save Colver Studio because capcom fired them
Sega partnership with Platiniums Games for 4 games, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Madworld, Infinite Space,

the probability :
temporary exclusive because the license belongs to Sega

Hohoho, can you even read?
Or may I have your magic ball were you see the future.

Great pick up for Ninty. Definitely seals the deal on them going for the hardcore audience as well as the wider population...and on me picking one up on launch day as I've crossed over my critical threshold for confidence in a new platform.

Foffy

Banned

By your logic, every game should be made for PS2, Wii, and DS, as they can clearly sell tons and tons more on those platforms considering there's a larger audience of consumers with those systems.

I see nothing wrong with drawing fans to a new platform. Many of these naysayers complain in ways that make me wonder if games should ever be made for new systems, let alone new ones for a companies platform that never got that franchise before.

What I'm sincerely concerned for is the controls; the Wii U pad is not what I imagine using when playing Bayonetta, and the stick placement for the pro controller just seems horrible for games like this. However, I won't even count the game out yet because we haven't even seen a few fucking seconds of gameplay at this point. But people bemoan because it's not on one of the HD twins their comfortable with?

Decado

Pretty much. Disappointing, but I'll survive. It'll be interesting to see how it controls.

That being said, if this is the direction Nintendo is taking with the Wii U, things could get interesting. If it's just a drop in the bucket of their usual fair, ala the Wii and GameCube, it's just a waste.

Cipherr

I'm sure he knows that, he just resents their efforts, and he resents their successes even more.

I have to admit, Im a little shocked by the rage, denial, hate and outright lunacy. I expected a bit of it when I saw the news, but we are like 18 pages deep with 100ppp at this point. I mean goddamn.

Dunno about that. I think Platinum must have gotten a decent deal out of it. But sure, they ain't gonna get a sale from me and this sure isn't gonna save the WiiU.
The Wii U looks pretty freaking appealing right about now, I don't know that it needs saving.

The game coming out on a Nintendo system won't affect Platinum's bottom line at all. Platinum doesn't publish, SEGA does. And SEGA decided publishing Bayo 2 was too risky. Although, Platinum also gets to make a new game, P-100 (Wonderful 101) with Nintendo, so hopefully the partnership will do well.

So weird that people still have a puritan idea of Nintendo despite games like Conker, BMX XXX, MadWorld, etc.

To be fair (I guess), Nintendo didn't publish those, so they're not the best examples you could've chosen. I do understand and agree with your overall point though.

Were there any screens/video released...if not, it probably means it's early in development and we won't see the game until the end of next year at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom