• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_prOdigy

It makes me a little sad though that nobody had meltdowns like this when Nintendo showed a brand new IP from Kamiya.

The amount of people in here saying "disappointed Kamiya isn't supervising this" makes me think a lot of people don't even know that 101 is Kamiya's game.

Tain

Wouldn't care as long as the framerate was good.

Bayo 2 on 3DS would bug me. Weaker tech than Bayonetta, smaller screen, less comfortable controls, the usual portable issues. I'd still play it, but it would be disappointing to hear as someone that wants games to be as good as they possibly can.

It goes without saying that I want everything to be developed for high-end PCs, but, hey, reality.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It makes me a little sad though that nobody had meltdowns like this when Nintendo showed a brand new IP from Kamiya.

Ironically there was a huge meltdown in the reveal thread over Kamiya directing that game instead of Bayonetta 2. lol

The TGS rumor list has lead to Bayonetta 2 threads being prone to meltdowns with everyone trying to confirm or debunk the initial rumors. (all the people in here arguing over if it was cancelled or whatever)

and I'm just sitting here thinking who gives a shit

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The guys on both extreme ends are nuts. D:

Be happy the game is alive again! I'm literally going to get the Wii U just for this game and I have no problem with that.

God I can't believe it got uncancelled. :D

Nintendo listened and is doing everything it can to satisfy that audience with their new console.

Let's not get crazy here. The Bayonetta 2 thing is pretty significant but Nintendo "doing everything it can to satisfy that audience" would mean announcing at least one Nintendo-made, hardcore title before the launch. There's not one Prime/Galaxy/Zelda type game on the horizon right now.

Man I can't stop watching the trailer.

I remember hearing something about co-op or a new playable character back when it was a rumored sega game.

Is that who the other guy is? He definitely appears to be using whatever the sage equivalent of witch time is so I doubt he's just an enemy.

I want more!!!

I don't know but I suspect it's another female. But you never can tell.

Trickster

Look at the first few pages, bro. People are getting banned left and right for these kinds of posts, so careful.

Don't see any reason why that post would get me banned, I'm not saying anything negative about the wii u, just expressing being upset about it being exclusive to a console I probably won't buy. At least for a long time.

7threst

Don't you remember the P-100 announcement at E3? For the first couple pages people were claiming that the game was shovelware crap that General Nintendochet had forced an unwilling Kamiya to create in a torture chamber.

Did people really dismiss P-100 like that when it was announced? Nintendo is genuinely hated by some, lol!

Another thing that worries me, I hope they don't try to shoehorn in the wii-u pad into Bayo, or if they must make it optional.

The pro controller is the only way I'd feel comfortable playing this game.

Also FUCK DmC. I can finally ignore its existence entirely.

Bayo on the WII-u is bound to be successful enough to keep the franchise going for a very very very long time.

Long as P* don't fuck it up, DMC as a franchise just became obsolete for good.

I have no clue why anyone would be bitter about this. None at all. If Nintendo didn't pick this up, it would be dead. Yes it may suck that it didn't come out on the system of your preference, but it wasn't going to happen anyway. Atleast this way you can possibly play this down the road.

Hopefully this is repeated in the title of the OT whenever that fateful day is. It's going to be this thread all over again.

Don't you remember the P-100 announcement at E3? For the first couple pages people were claiming that the game was shovelware crap that General Nintendochet had forced an unwilling Kamiya to create in a torture chamber.

This tyranny from Nintendo can't stand! forcing unwilling developers to create games they don't want! Taking away precious games from poor PS360 owners! Won't somebody please think of the children!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know but I suspect it's another female. But you never can tell.

Oh could be. Who knows

more interested if they're playable or not, and what that means for the direction of the game.(again thinking of those co-op rumors)

Let's not get crazy here. The Bayonetta 2 thing is pretty significant but Nintendo "doing everything it can to satisfy that audience" would mean announcing at least one Nintendo-made, hardcore title before the launch. There's not one Prime/Galaxy/Zelda type game on the horizon right now.

I think it's safe to assume there will be Nintendo games on the next Nintendo console. I was more referring to luring in 3rd-parties and exclusives.

ezekial45

Banned
Another thing that worries me, I hope they don't try to shoehorn in the wii-u pad into Bayo, or if they must make it optional.

The pro controller is the only way I'd feel comfortable playing this game.

Also FUCK DmC. I can finally ignore its existence entirely.

Bayo on the WII-u is bound to be successful enough to keep the franchise going for a very very very long time.

Long as P* don't fuck it up, DMC as a franchise just became obsolete for good.
You're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, friend. On all accounts.

olimpia84

I never gave the first one a try since I only own a PS3 and I've heard that version has a lot of issues. I might give Bayonetta 2 a try once it hits the bargain bin.

A few people getting rather excited about third party games...but thats not what this is...

Now. Nintendo 'could' work closer with publishers to put their unused teams to work or buy up and expand, but this is not the 'format' for more third party games to WiiU.

For that to happen WiiU has to be the best seller in both mass market and core games.
This is the right step in that direction; but don;t suddenly think this means something new; it doesn't. It just means something 'different'.

Hindle

Banned
On one hand I'm glad we're getting a sequel but on the other, they have alienated the people who bought the first game by making it exclusive.

Huff

Banned
Good on Nintendo for saving a game that had been thrown in the shitter. Wonder what kind of deal was done between Nin and Sega for this to take place

Eh, even I was lukewarm on it until IGN did an excellent video interview/walkthrough
I played through the first level (aaaaalmost beat it, too) and I was a bit underwhelmed with the premise before I got my hands on it. It was harder than I expected, the mechanics are deeper than they looked and it was quirky and amusing. Realized it was right up my alley after all.

The same exact thing happened to me with Bayonetta at a con, except I was expecting to HATE it. The game had me at monster-eating hair dragons.

StuBurns

Banned
Multiples of Wii U? That's difficult to say. Budgets will continue to increase, however, and at some point all games and franchises will reach a point where they cannot feasibly continue to climb upward in cost.

Further, the rate at which games reach this point will vary by genre and franchise; obviously Call of Duty, for example, can climb for a much longer period than can Bayonetta, or even Metal Gear Solid can.

And I think you'll find, generally, that there are a good number of Japanese franchises hitting their "cost ceiling" at around the PS3/360 threshold. Heck, many (such as Disgaea) met that threshold before then, and others met it so long ago that they have long since moved to handhelds.

By contrast, the Western solution to a franchise that can no longer escalate in scope and production value is to simply put the franchise to rest. It doesn't go to handhelds, or become a scaled down affair like Disgaea on PS3 in Japan, it simply stops being made, with the distant hope that some day it may be reborn as a retro franchise on Xbox Live.

I really don't know enough to say if there are a few franchises that will be unable to make the leap to PS4/720 or a lot of franchises that fit this description, but we may find out. Western franchises, as said, will likely just cease to exist rather than be relegated to a single, weaker platform like the Wii U -- but Japan doesn't seem to function in that manner, so this is at least a possibility.
Even now that's the case though. Rockstar can spend $200M to build and market a GTA, because although that means having to sell eight million copies to break even, they know they will.

Games like MGS won't dramatically increase in budget, because they can't, which is what you said I know. I think the implication of the post I was referring to was of a technical nature however. In which case, the budget increase will be nothing like last time. Game assets are built at far higher qualities than are used on the consoles. You can have greater density, better lighting, richer volumetric effect etc, and those things to take man hours, and so, money, but it's nothing like the investment of building art assets, or recording voice acting, doing motion capture, etc.

Crysis only cost twenty million dollars to make, including the engine, and it still looks far far better than anything on either HD console.

But you're right, the actual viability of increasing budgets is a much more natural limitation than the costs of using the new systems more fully.

Trickster

I never gave the first one a try since I only own a PS3 and I've heard that version has a lot of issues. I might give Bayonetta 2 a try once it hits the bargain bin.

If bayonetta 2 is as good as Bayonetta one (on 360). Then your in for an absolute top tier game.

Famassu

lol so true
Lol, so false. The people getting super excited in this thread are Bayonetta fans. I personally had no intention of buying Wii U any time soon, but with this announcement I'll get it as soon as The Wonderful 101 is released, since I know there's also a sequel to a Kamiya created game coming.

What exactly do people gain from this game being exclusive? I'm curious.
We even GET the game, that's what we get.

Emitan

Bayo 2 on 3DS would bug me. Weaker tech than Bayonetta, smaller screen, less comfortable controls, the usual portable issues. I'd still play it, but it would be disappointing to hear as someone that wants games to be as good as they possibly can.

It goes without saying that I want everything to be developed for high-end PCs, but, hey, reality.

Me too but I've given up on that :(

You can get the PS3 1 for £10 but yeah theres a few problems. Am thinking of getting 1 for 360; but I might just jump in at 2.

JoeInky

This tyranny from Nintendo can't stand! forcing unwilling developers to create games they don't want! Taking away precious games from poor PS360 owners! Won't somebody please think of the children!

They are thinking of the children, it's why they're releasing it on a toy for kids.

lol

ArjanN

Honestly, I don't see the problem. In an age where 99% of third party titles on home consoles are multiplatform, I wouldn't mind seeing a return to exclusives on a larger scale.

Exclusives are one of the worst things about gaming and I was glad to see them mostly gone.

What's the point (outside of first party games) to buying multiple systems if they all have the same third party titles with varying degrees of quality (and sometimes content)?

But IMO there being no reason to buy multiple systems is a good thing.

Either way you can expect Bayonetta 2 threads to be mostly console-war bullshit because it going from multiplatform to an exclusive.

I do wonder if they'll port the original over. Would be weird not to, but at the same time, who would do it? P* wouldn't, they're busy enough.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Ooooh, the quotes I could quote.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's an interesting reasoning but there's one part I don't understand: if current gen development costs have driven a number of pubs/devs into the ground, why wouldn't developing for Wii U bring about an equivalent result ?

Considering it appears to be essentially a souped up version of the HD twins, what would make releasing games for it less risky?

I've been under the impression these past few years that overbudgeting games, having too much ride on too few projects was the point of failure and I honestly can't see how intrinsically Wii U could change that. I get that "having mid-sized projects" is probably the answer but I can't see why Wii U would spontaneously bring these about.

I suppose the notion is that developers have, after much bleeding, gotten settled with current development standards. The damage is already done, so to speak.

Now instead of telling everyone to get ready, bend over, here it comes again, they can keep producing games on Wii U as they have been on PS360.

Plus, not every game using that range of technology has to cost 50 million in production values. Much of the bloated budgets that have caused the industry to struggle have been due to inefficient development, marketing, and "that hollywood flair" that it was assumed all games needed to sell today.

Japan seems to still be producing genuine mid-range games with smaller teams and smaller budgets. They've just gotten more used to using the technology that western developers had pulled ahead of them with for a few years.

I guess what could make a difference is if the Wii U audience is expected to be different - that they will actually buy sensibly budgeted mid-range games, rather than only flock to the next tentpole release. To me it seems that Nintendo is kind of throwing this stuff out there to see if it sticks. Almost a hail mary pass. Secure Bayonetta, Monster Hunter, and probably more. See if they sell on Wii U.

Something bad that appeared to happen with the Wii, is that cynicism and disinterest caused the good mid-range games that did get released on the Wii to largely tank and go unnoticed. It was the effect of "Gamers want hardcore games on Wii, refuse to buy them when they do get released." There may have been a number of factors contributing to that phenomenon. People got burned on the Wii early on with ten metric tons of 3rd party shovelware, and early betrayal games like Red Steel 1. Followed by 'light gun' versions of the big boy games that the HD consoles were getting. End result: everybody sold their Wii or unplugged it and threw it in the closet. It didn't help that the Wii's technology was probably a bit too conservative for what Nintendo was trying to do. Without even HD output, there was a major presentation hurdle for core gamers to get over as well, since they were much more likely than the average person to have already upgraded to an HD television.

So in the end I think Nintendo is fishing. It's a bit of "okay, we'll play if you'll play too". If stuff like Bayonetta and Monster Hunter tank on Wii U and nobody gives a crap, then I have to wonder: are gamers getting the gaming world they deserve after all?

The salt and betrayed feelings over Bayonetta 2 going Wii U exclusive seem a bit perverse to me in that Bayonetta 1 was not like a longstanding franchise with tens of millions of sales. It barely sold a million copies. That seems like enough for potential future growth, but not quite enough for this many upset fans. That's why the cries of "it should have gone on a real console where it could have sold MILLIONS!" feel disingenuous. If anything putting it on a console that seems likely to emphasize traditional core gamer titles and Japanese games seems like a much better fit for such a game.

I do wonder if they'll port the original over. Would be weird not to, but at the same time, who would do it? P* wouldn't, they're busy enough.

Make Tecmo-Koei do it while someone from Platinum (not necessarily someone important, it could be an intern) just sits there and glares at them the whole time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom