• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they will port it to the next gen consoles under a different name. I hope so anyway.

TCsG54.gif

Opiate

The reason is because until now, it's always been financially viable to make better looking games, now it's not.

You can sell three million units, and be a bomb, and your studio can close, and that's right now, obviously the industry can not tolerate another budget hike.

It's still viable, it's just viable for an increasingly smaller subsection of games. That is also not new: the number of games and genres which could reasonably compete at PS1 budgets is larger than the number of games and genres that could reasonably compete at PS2 budgets which is larger than the number of games and genres which can reasonably compete at PS3 budgets.

The key, here, is that these top franchises which can still climb upwards -- like Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, and Grand Theft Auto -- are in control of the "core' community. They are the king makers, and they will most definitely be on PS4/720. "B" games will try to compete, but will continue to fall further and further behind, with "A" games following (if they aren't already there) and "AA" games rapidly becoming insolvent as well, until we're left with something like 100 retail games released a year on PS4/720, where there was once 1000 released per year on PS2.

StuBurns

Banned
It's still viable, it's just viable for an increasingly smaller subsection of games. That is also not new: the number of games and genres which could reasonably compete at PS1 budgets is larger than the number of games and genres that could reasonably compete at PS2 budgets which is larger than the number of games and genres which can reasonably compete at PS3 budgets.

The key, here, is that these top franchises which can still climb upwards -- like Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, and Grand Theft Auto -- are in control of the "core' community. They are the king makers, and they will most definitely be on PS4/720. "B" games will try to compete, but will continue to fall further and further behind, with "A" games following (if they aren't already there) and "AA" games rapidly becoming insolvent as well, until we're left with something like 100 retail games released a year on PS4/720, where there was once 1000 released per year on PS2.
But can they? I don't believe any of those franchise, outside of Call of Duty, can afford to even double their budgets before they can no longer guarantee profit. And that's not the only issue, those are pretty much all the franchises that even have a chance, sans Gran Turismo and Halo.

That's realistically what? Three games a year? Obviously that can't happen. The 'B-Tier' at that point would have to sell as much as they do now. And the publisher have no reason to do this either. If they can't even make their B-tier games anymore, and they're taking a way bigger hit on their biggest releases, they're fucked.

I don't think there's a single publisher that could survive three years at double the budget of today, outside of Valve.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo Nintendo should be applauded for bailing out PG on this game. It's not a huge systemseller, but the game has it's hardcore followers. So it's a risky move on Nintendo's part in the sense that this won't even make them money. Well done Nintendo, but I still don't give a rat's ass about your system. It's simply doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

Would love to see Nintendo keep other dead franchises alive like Valkryia Chronicles or Resonance of Fate. I know VC is Sega's IP, but if they won't do it, at least don't let a wonderful series die off like that. Bayonetta was practically in the grave until Nintendo resurrected her.

Hope Vanquish 2 happens.

Opiate

But can they? I don't believe any of those franchise, outside of Call of Duty, can afford to even double their budgets before they can no longer guarantee profit. And that's not the only issue, those are pretty much all the franchises that even have a chance, sans Gran Turismo and Halo.

That's realistically what? Three games a year? Obviously that can't happen. The 'B-Tier' at that point would have to sell as much as they do now. And the publisher have no reason to do this either. If they can't even make their B-tier games anymore, and they're taking a way bigger hit on their biggest releases, they're fucked.

I don't think there's a single publisher that could survive three years at double the budget of today, outside of Valve.

Yes, I think all four of those could, at least. Regardless, a doubling of costs isn't likely, I don't think; I believe they'll do their best to avoid ramping up costs, although it won't halt the process completely. Maybe a 50% increase? I'm shooting in the dark, here.

So yes, I see all those franchises -- and most of the other "AAA Blockbuster" franchises making the transition. Keep in mind that profit is not necessarily the primary goal of many of these publishers; their primary goal is to raise barriers of entry, so that only Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Take 2 could possibly compete. If it takes 5M copies of a game to make a profit, virtually no one else could fund a game of that scope.

They're willing to have very low profit margins if it means they can narrow the field of competitors down to 4 or 5 publishers with little possibility of anyone else rising to compete with them.

Jarmel

Banned
Would love to see Nintendo keep other dead franchises alive like Valkryia Chronicles or Resonance of Fate. I know VC is Sega's IP, but if they won't do it, at least don't let a wonderful series die off like that. Bayonetta was practically in the grave until Nintendo resurrected her.

Hope Vanquish 2 happens.

I would make sacrifices to the gods if that happened.

But it won't.

StuBurns

Banned
Bayonetta 2 |OT| Like Sega, only better.
Yes, I think all four of those could, at least. Regardless, a doubling of costs isn't likely, I don't think; I believe they'll do their best to avoid ramping up costs, although it won't halt the process completely. Maybe a 50% increase? I'm shooting in the dark, here.

So yes, I see all those franchises -- and most of the other "AAA Blockbuster" franchises making the transition. Keep in mind that profit is not necessarily the primary goal of many of these publishers; their primary goal is to raise barriers of entry, so that only Activision, EA, Ubisoft and Take 2 could possibly compete. If it takes 5M copies of a game to make a profit, virtually no one else could fund a game of that scope.

They're willing to have very low profit margins if it means they can narrow the field of competitors down to 4 or 5 publishers with very little possibility of anyone else rising to compete with them.
But to what end? Thinning the herd for what ultimate goal? Ubisoft are going to operate based just on the profit from eight million Assassin's Creed's they move a year? That can't sustain a company of their size. Killing the B-tier is killing every publisher.

JoeFenix

This thread is disgusting, Bayonetta 2 gets announced and people cry about system wars bullshit...

It didn't get announced for IPhone or anything, chill out, it's a real game with the potential to have nicer graphics than it would on 360 or PS3. Buy a WiiU with Wonderful 101 and call it a day.

Emergency Bayonetta replay today, up to chapter 4 already. Still the best thing ever!

Hope Vanquish 2 happens.

Oh man, Valkyria would be perfect on Wii U. Hell, most SRPGs would.

Carbonox

When the game was announced, was there any brief talk about it? Or just that HERE IS BAYONETTA 2 ON WII U AND HERE IS A TEASER TRAILER BYE?

TGS hurry up pls. I hope we get some form of tidbits soon.

jman2050

They're willing to have very low profit margins if it means they can narrow the field of competitors down to 4 or 5 publishers with little possibility of anyone else rising to compete with them.

That sounds entirely counterproductive. And it wouldn't work anyway, because all they'd be doing is narrowing the potential audience for their games.

Opiate

That sounds entirely counterproductive. And it wouldn't work anyway, because all they'd be doing is narrowing the potential audience for their games.

They've been doing this for a long time now, and it's been working.

Stuburns said:
But to what end? Thinning the herd for what ultimate goal? Ubisoft are going to operate based just on the profit eight million Assassin's Creed's they move a year? That can't sustain a company of their size. Killing the B-tier is killing every publisher.

As I said, to prohibit competitors. I want you to imagine a world where any company with a good idea and design skill could compete with EA; the PC is already modestly like this, where games like Minecraft and Farmville can take off and become huge hits. This is partially why EA and many of the other major publishers have been reluctant to engage the PC space the way they have engaged the console space; because on PC, any crazy kid like Notch is potentially a real competitor. Not just "hey he did pretty well for a little guy!" a la a game like Castle crashers, but a legitimate, honest, AAA blockbuster hit, like Minecraft or Farmville or League of Legends.

Let me summarize this for clarity: in a truly free market with low barriers to entry, EA is competing against every little guy with a great idea and some programming skill. There may literally be thousands of people who fit this description. On the PS4/720, EA is competing against Activision, Ubisoft and Take 2, and that's essentially it.

That is their end game. They are willing to run very low profit margins if it means extreme stability and safety from being toppled by little guys with big ideas.

Mlatador

Banned
I haven't played Bayonetta (1). I don't even own a PS360, but I "might" give Bayonetta 2 a try -- after all I've heared the first one is an excellent game :D

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is disgusting, Bayonetta 2 gets announced and people cry about system wars bullshit...

It didn't get announced for IPhone or anything, chill out, it's a real game with the potential to have nicer graphics than it would on 360 or PS3. Buy a WiiU with Wonderful 101 and call it a day.

Emergency Bayonetta replay today, up to chapter 4 already. Still the best thing ever!

I was already on a replay after finishing up with Max Anarchy

but hopped on as soon as I got home from class to hit up NSIC mode.

Easily has to be my favorite game released this generation. Could not be more excited for videogames

JoeFenix

I was already on a replay after finishing up with Max Anarchy

but hopped on as soon as I got home from class to hit up NSIC mode.

Easily has to be my favorite game released this generation. Could not be more excited for videogames

Videogames!!!!

Oh and btw, Yusuke Hashimoto (Director of Bayonetta2) is a fucking legend, anyone worried that he's not up to the task should rest assured that Bayo 2 is going to be godlike.

Let's not get crazy here. The Bayonetta 2 thing is pretty significant but Nintendo "doing everything it can to satisfy that audience" would mean announcing at least one Nintendo-made, hardcore title before the launch. There's not one Prime/Galaxy/Zelda type game on the horizon right now.

Pikmin 3 says hi!

Cute graphics and characters aside. Pikmin is as 'Nintendo made hardcore' as it gets.

Pikmin 2 was no walk in the park to 100%.

(Six or seven people requested a Wall of Shame.)

Situation: A beloved IP, Bayonetta, is dead. The likelyhood of a revival seems astronomically miniscule. Out of nowhere, Nintendo funds development of a sequel, instantly reviving the revered franchise from certain oblivion.

The immediate response of certain enthusiasts was as follows...

Hope this goes multiplatform.
Is this exclusive?

Fuck, I have zero intention of buying this console. Fuck.
What a bunch of assholes. Why an exclusive? I don't wanna spend $200 or so just to play this.
Is it Wii U Exclusive? If true then vaderno.jpg
Please don't be exclusive.
Exclusive? I sure as hell hope not.
exclusive? no no no no no fuck
There's no way it will be a Wii U Exclusive, hehehehehe........ RIGHT?
Want.

EDIT: Nooooooooooooooooo!
Core gamers don't want to buy WiiU because at this point it appears to be at a graphical level of consoles they already have. Now they're pissed that they're being asked to shell X dollars for what they see as redundant technology...just to play games that they expected to get on their platform of choice next-gen.
Hope PS4 and 720 release soon enough before nintendo get more exclusivities.
Well thats a big fuck you to the fanbase, looks like if ya a Bayonetta fan and had no intention getting a Wii U ya gonna have to buy one just to play the sequal to a game you got one PS360, could understand if it was Nextgen graphics and all that but it'll probably be the same as if it was on PS360
bet it'll be really good too
Nevermind :-(
I guess I'd be shocked if this didn't end up on other platforms in some guise at some point next generation. Still, I won't be buying a WiiU so as a Bayonetta fan it will suck if I turn out to be wrong. I'm sure Nintendo fans and future WiiU owners are happy as hell and feeling pretty cocky, though.
Wii U exclusive? WTF at this shit.
Wasn't interested in a Wii U before the news. Still not gonna get the console. Gonna cry in a corner now.
really great news that the ip is still alive, but the desicion for the console is somehow pittyfull
I hope we can get a Bayonetta 2 Sigma or something.

An attempt at fabricating a narrative that doesn't actually exist:

Nintendo fanboys: We don't need games like Watch_Dogs, it doesn't even look that good. 3rd party support like that isn't needed for Nintendo to succeed

Nintendo: Look, we got Bayonetta 2.

Nintendo fanboys: OMG MEGATON THE TEARS SO DELICIOUS GOTTA BUY A WII-U BODY IS REGGIE

More quotes:

Man, I... I really want to be happy, I do, but I don't want a WiiU.
Best and worst day rolled into one. ;___;
You've gotta be kidding me!!!! No way I'm getting a WiiU just for one game.
What the fuck is this shit.

Go ahead and laugh, I guess it's cool to make fun of everyone who is upset this is a Wii-U exclusive.

Bayonetta is one of my favorite games of all time and I have no intention of buying a Wii-U... I wouldn't mind if it was a Microsoft or Sony exclusive because at least they still have other games to play on their system that are in the vein of Bayonetta.

Putting Bayonetta 2 exclusively on a family friendly Mario console is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard of.
I don't buy consoles to play 1 exclusive game. Not anymore at least.

Like I said, WiiU only appeals to people who like Nintendo games... and that's pretty much it.
Lol. No. I'm not buying a silly ass Nintendo console because of this game. Total suicide on their part - they'd sell tons and tons more on PS360.
Oh ffs. I wanted this on PS3/360. Please God make it get ported.
Exclusive?

Bayonetta is one of my favourite games this gen, but I'm not buying a console for it
Why do this to me Plat? WHY?!
Well, guess I'm never playing Bayonetta 2. :(
they have so many franchises people want sequels for years now,why not making a new starfox,super metroid or mario 64-2

why do they have to steal our games?and that's exactly what they do,taking a beloved 3rd party franchise and making it exclusive so others can't play it is stealing
Can't say I'm thrilled about it. The first game was fun enough (skip cutscenes) but not to the point I'm suddenly wanting a Wii-U. I'd probably bought a PS360 copy. Its good for the Nintendo-only types, and bayo fans that were already picking up a Wii-U, not sure about everyone else.

Not crazy about money-hatting when any company does it and limits my options. But I imagine this was a good deal for the Devs.

I bought, played, and nearly platinum'ed the first game. I reckon I'll voice my disappointment of it being exclusive to hardware I don't plan to buy if I want to.
I think they will port it to the next gen consoles under a different name. I hope so anyway.
Shit better come to PC eventually...or some other console.
I really enjoyed Bayonetta, but I have no interest in buying Wii U so I'll probably won't play the sequel. Console exclusive games (which aren't first party) is so last gen, especially since the first game sold well on PS3/360 and established somewhat of an userbase.
yes, the salt it typical, if it wasn't Nintendo, it would be for whatever other console they didn't own, but the Nintendo Zealotry sticsk out more because its exclusive to Nintendo fans. You guys seriously have a problem with people NOT wanting a nintendo console.
Fucking exclusive? Really? Not even the original ended up being exclusive despite being designed with only one console in mind.
Holding out for hope.
I don't buy consoles to play 1 exclusive game. Not anymore at least.

Like I said, WiiU only appeals to people who like Nintendo games... and that's pretty much it.
Yeah so this what it feels like to fall in love and have your heart broken within 60 seconds.

(following quote is in response to the quote above)

This. Exactly this.

Out of EVERY game to be Wii U exclusive...

Final batch of quotes:

Exclusive????

my first P+ disappointment.
Wii U Exclusive?

d3yJK.jpg
Haven't seen a good Betraylaton for a while.

:( please be timed exclusive.
I came.... Why must it be an exclusive?! :(
Cool a Bayonetta sequel, but only for Wii U :/ ok I guess, but this means no money from me.

But cool that Nintendo publishes it
Money-hat by Nintendo, though you'd think they'd have picked a more popular franchise.
Very angry right now.

It was multi-platform before, I don't see why they decided to fuck a lot of the fans (I want to say most).

Guess its the money, but whatever, eff this.
Ugh! I couldn't be more divided on this annoucnement. As much as I want a Bayonetta 2, I don't want a god damn Wii U. I hope this is some timed exclusive bs becuase I don't know what Platinum Games is thinking putting their best and most "hardcore" franchise on a console whos little bro was known for being so casual. I don't know what type of audience they think is going to buy the Wii U.
what the fuck indeed.
but exclusive? Fuck no.
God dammit it's going to be impossible to find someone to borrow a WiiU from to play this shit.
Ugh. Fucking torn.

Guess I'll wait and see.

(edit for clarity: the platform is half the tearing, the director is the other half)
Meh, still not enough reason to buy into WiiU with the next-generation Playstation and XBOX looming around the corner. It's disappointing that it "seems" as though this game is exclusive to WiiU, but what can you do, you can't play all of them!
i would have given them infamous, resistance, halo and i wouldn't care less.. but.. but why did it have to be Bayonetta?
I'm so salty. I wanted to play this :(
Don't worry. Baypnetta will be B-produced quick money get scheme thing. They quickly recycle first game's mechanics and invent cheesy story.

No real inventions here. It will be boring.
he Wii-U looks like the same Wii garbage. It's a system with a gimmicky controller that will have great Mario and Zelda games, and a rare amount of good third party games. Mario and Zelda games don't interest me as much as they did in the N64 days and prior, and I have no intention of buying a Wii-U for one game.

I really don't see myself being able to afford multiple next gen consoles so even though I love Bayonetta, I'd rather put my money on a system I can expect to have more games to my liking.

I understand Nintendo is willing to put the money up for this, but that doesn't mean nobody else would have. If Nintendo didn't green light this already someone else would have in the next couple years no doubt. I'm just disappointed they were the ones to snatch it up.
FUCK! WHY is this exclusive to Wii U???? DOES NOT make any sense! MAAAn im so angry right now :(

A reminder, for history, that the above responses were these gamers gratitude for the unexpected resurrection of a dead franchise that they apparently love.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity

Hope Vanquish 2 happens.
If the Wii U became the platform to resurrect some of Sega's IPs they abandonded this gen, I couldn't buy one fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom