• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I think most people were responding to this shot from the beginning of the trailer:

lzUBI.png

Looks like that one character from Dragon Age 2.

StuBurns

Banned
As I said, to prohibit competitors. I want you to imagine a world where any company with a good idea and design skill could compete with EA; the PC is already modestly like this, where games like Minecraft and Farmville can take off and become huge hits. This is partially why EA and many of the other major publishers have been reluctant to engage the PC space the way they have engaged the console space; because on PC, any crazy kid like Notch is potentially a real competitor. Not just "hey he did pretty well for a little guy!" a la a game like Castle crashers, but a legitimate, honest, AAA blockbuster hit, like Minecraft or Farmville or League of Legends.

Let me summarize this for clarity: in a truly free market with low barriers to entry, EA is competing against every little guy with a great idea and some programming skill. There may literally be thousands of people who fit this description. On the PS4/720, EA is competing against Activision, Ubisoft and Take 2, and that's essentially it.

That is their end game. They are willing to run very low profit margins if it means extreme stability and safety from being toppled by little guys with big ideas.
You haven't answered my question.

How are Ubisoft going to survive on the profit from eight million copies of Assassin's Creed a year? That's not much over three hundred million dollars, minus the marketing and development, which is probably half that, they're banking $150M a year, Ubisoft is eight thousand people, in a lot of buildings that need powering.

mik83kuu

Banned
When will people ever learn that port begging and whining about exclusivity is not only poor content but it's bannable?

On another note I'm actually kinda excited for this. No idea what Bayonetta 1 was about but seeing so many people so happy for this sequel kinda makes me want to give it a try.

How are Ubisoft going to survive on the profit from eight million copies of Assassin's Creed a year? That's not much over three hundred million dollars, minus the marketing and development, which is probably half that, they're banking $150M a year, Ubisoft is eight thousand people, in a lot of buildings that need powering.

Cos for Evey ass creed there is like 50 Imagine profitz.

JoeFenix

I think most people were responding to this shot from the beginning of the trailer:

lzUBI.png

But that game has genuinely fantastic graphics, much nicer image quality than what we're getting on current gen systems and it looks to have a nice steady framerate even in this early state (no frame tearing!).

The shadowing is super crisp and the lighting is very nice, sure the models aren't super high poly but they certainly don't need to be.

Whatever, people will realize that game was amazing after it's been out for 2 years and then beg for a sequel. Same shit happened with pretty much everything Kamiya made after DMC.

mantidor

This thread has been very satisfying to read. In trying to understand the anger I imagined a beloved series getting into a platform I don't have and have no intention to get, something crazy like Mario on the iPhone, but I realized the comparison doesn't hold, we are talking about a dead series brought to life here. Better would be, I don't know, Homeworld 3 on e iPhone, and it still doesn't hold, because is not like its going to get touch controls only all of the sudden. Seriously the anger and dissapointment is dumb and fanboyish, and show the true color of so many people.

Now I always wanted to play the first game but had no PS3 or 360 and no plan to buy one, so I couldn't. I was nowhere near as bitter as some people here though, I really hope it gets ported.

Aeana

But that game has genuinely fantastic graphics, much nicer image quality than what we're getting on current gen systems and it looks to have a nice steady framerate even in this early state (no frame tearing!).

The shadowing is super crisp and the lighting is very nice, sure the models aren't super high poly but they certainly don't need to be.

Whatever, people will realize that game was amazing after it's been out for 2 years and then beg for a sequel. Same shit happened with pretty much everything Kamiya made after DMC.

The people are very low poly. It was a mistake to zoom in on them like that at the very start of the trailer. It's obviously fine during gameplay because it's so zoomed out, but I can't blame people for being taken aback at first when they saw that. I think the game looks pretty nice in play, myself.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That is a shameful wall of shame.

Platinum Games getting Nintendo's full support is not only a good thing, it's a BLOODY good thing. And you wouldn't be seeing Bayonetta 2 without it.

Thoraxes

I'm just really glad Nintendo is handling publishing on Platinum Games games.

Like, they really fucking deserve it man. And Nintendo will hopefully help them advertise it too. They just really deserve the money and recognition, and i'm glad someone is finally doing it for them.

It's taken me far too long to journey through this thread, i'm not sure why I did but it's been quite a ride.
Then of course I discover the wall of shame which could have saved me some time, ah well.
Well, i'm looking forward to this.

(Six or seven people requested a Wall of Shame.)

Situation: A beloved IP, Bayonetta, is dead. The likelyhood of a revival seems astronomically miniscule. Out of nowhere, Nintendo funds development of a sequel, instantly reviving the revered franchise from certain oblivion.

The immediate response of certain enthusiasts was as follows...

(in response to the above)

A reminder, for history, that the above responses were these gamers gratitude for the unexpected resurrection of a dead franchise that they apparently love.

Good read!

I scarcely know any of those posters, but some of the comments get the biggest SMH possible

vctor182

This thread is disgusting, Bayonetta 2 gets announced and people cry about system wars bullshit...

It didn't get announced for IPhone or anything, chill out, it's a real game with the potential to have nicer graphics than it would on 360 or PS3. Buy a WiiU with Wonderful 101 and call it a day.

Emergency Bayonetta replay today, up to chapter 4 already. Still the best thing ever!

IMO most guys who are port begging this would be more comfortable with an iOS/Android release than a Nintendo exclusive =/

Anyway, glad Nintendo gave Bayo 2 a 1 up

kunonabi

I'm supremely excited to have Bayonetta 2 and what's more it looks like I don't need to buy a console for Nintendo games and a console for Platinum games next gen. Win-win for me.

Now if we could only convince Nintendo to get Shenmue 3 going.

Man the salt in this thread damn. I don't see what the problem is, game you like is a particular on console. Buy said console to play it. There should be more outrage at a second tablet controler costing $150 than bayo2 on wii u. We should be happy bayo2 is even getting made. Thanks based p+ and nintendo.

Opiate

I'm saying they will continue to escalate the arms race until only a few publishers survive, and those few publishers can then run razor thin profits. You're throwing out numbers which are essentially arbitrary and cannot be specifically quantified. The strategy is to bleed the competitors dry, so that those who remain can survive comfortably in a space that no longer has 12 or 20 or 40 competitors (who remembers Jaleco? Acclaim? etc) but only 3 or 4.

All four of the big publishers will continue to escalate the arms race until they have successfully crowded as many people out as they can. The "limit" on that has not been reached yet.

This is not a new concept and we can see the same process in virtually every similar industry. The movie studios, for example, run razor thin profit margins overall, constantly increasing the budgets on their "AAA" films, and this prohibits any newcomers from entering what is essentially a five horse race at this point.

Music, too, has been whittled down to three major competitors. It is not cheap to publicize and produce big, flashy acts like Lady Gaga and Britney Spears, so random people can't find great musical acts and expect to produce that artist and make a big label out of it.

Raising the barriers to entry is the basic strategy of all these industries. They sacrifice profits for stability.

Jarmel

Banned

Situation: A beloved IP, Bayonetta, is dead. The likelyhood of a revival seems astronomically miniscule. Out of nowhere, Nintendo funds development of a sequel, instantly reviving the revered franchise from certain oblivion.

A reminder, for history, that the above responses were these gamers gratitude for the unexpected resurrection of a dead franchise that they apparently love.

Yea not the best showing.

Conor 419

Banned

(in response to the above)

Ladies and gentleman, I nominate this post for 'Post of the Generation'.

Mlatador

Banned
The people are very low poly. It was a mistake to zoom in on them like that at the very start of the trailer. It's obviously fine during gameplay because it's so zoomed out, but I can't blame people for being taken aback at first when they saw that. I think the game looks pretty nice in play, myself.

Well, then they should have watched the trailer until the end (or heck, even just past the very few seconds!). They would've realized that the game looks fantastic!

Margalis

Banned
In which case, the budget increase will be nothing like last time. Game assets are built at far higher qualities than are used on the consoles. You can have greater density, better lighting, richer volumetric effect etc, and those things to take man hours, and so, money, but it's nothing like the investment of building art assets, or recording voice acting, doing motion capture, etc.

Game assets are built at higher qualities so they can be used to bake down normal maps. If newer consoles support 1080p + those models would have to be done at even higher quality to bake down and look good at increased resolution.

If Xbox720 relies heavily on tessellation developers now need to make displacement maps for every model, and/or create the model with some sort of parametric data built into it so it can be tessellated properly.

If 720 games are going to have better subsurface scattering shaders then models will require extra maps. If hair rendering is better that new hair rendering is going to involve new maps and more physics bounds. In general a lot more stuff will probably need physics data built in, more precise physics bounds, etc.

Development costs will level off when developers consciously decide to pick their battles, not because of tooling or process changes.

Edit: That P-100 pic is a perfect example. Those models are relatively simple and that works for the game. But if some self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamer (lol) is like "looks like an N64 game" and some developer decides to please that guy by going crazy modeling people who end up being 30 pixels tall on screen then costs will in no way level off.

This thread is disgusting, Bayonetta 2 gets announced and people cry about system wars bullshit...

It didn't get announced for IPhone or anything, chill out, it's a real game with the potential to have nicer graphics than it would on 360 or PS3. Buy a WiiU with Wonderful 101 and call it a day.

Emergency Bayonetta replay today, up to chapter 4 already. Still the best thing ever!

Isn't it awesome when a new console generation begins?

In a few years, everyone'll be all, "Like, ALL the systems are great, man!" Don't worry about it.

JoeFenix

The people are very low poly. It was a mistake to zoom in on them like that at the very start of the trailer. It's obviously fine during gameplay because it's so zoomed out, but I can't blame people for being taken aback at first when they saw that.

I can agree that it was a mistake to zoom in on those characters in the trailer but just look at the rest of the footage. Fantastic sense of style and technicaly super solid. Does not look like a budget title in any way shape or form.

Bayonetta 2 is going to look absolutely amazing and this is coming from someone with a monster PC running a GTX690.

The WiiU has 1gb of ram and 32mb of Edram combined with a more powerful gpu than 360 or PS3, stuff made exclusively for the system is going to look great.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's Kid Icarus all over again. I was like "Is this real?" And it was. And I was like AWESOME.

Nintendo is so boss.

And to think there is another conference by Nintendo Direct later on.

Magius is pleased.

I'll get a Wii U and this game eventually but not for a while. Not until a couple games I want comes out for it.

3DS and Wii U stuff. So many games, so little time.

>_<

THIS is what's important. Nintendo just took Bayonetta by the hand from her grave and pulled her up for another round. Damn the fact that it's not on PS360, it's HAPPENING, period.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm saying they will continue to escalate the arms race until only a few publishers survive, and those few publishers can then run razor thin profits. You're throwing out numbers which are essentially arbitrary and cannot be specifically quantified. The strategy is to bleed the competitors dry, so that those who remain can survive comfortably in a space that no longer has 12 or 20 or 40 competitors (who remembers Jaleco? Acclaim? etc) but only 3 or 4.
ed as many people out as they can. The "limit" on that has not been reached yet.

I remember Acclaim. Mostly due to those awful Simpsons games for the NES and the Master System, but still. I even remember Flying Edge who, if I'm not mistaken, were really just a subsidiary of Acclaim.

I think the wall of shame is justified. If your not a typical Nintendo fan, this is like a punch in the gut. I've been googling for the past 20 mins and even Im worried. 300 pounds is a lot of money these days to spend on one console that as it stands won't get a lot of use outside of this one game.

I really want to play Bayo 2 and to a lesser extent darksiders 2 U and NG3RE, but I do feel that I will probably end up selling my wii u within a year of purchase.

Nintendo IPs just do not do it for me, I hate motion controls, I cant see myself gaming with that tablet controller for long periods of time and I honestly feel that it will be a gimmick shoehorned into every game on the system.

But on the other hand, I know I'm not getting a PS4 or Xbox 720 at launch anyway, so I can have a little fun with the system for a while. I don't need to keep it for the whole generation (unless Bayo 3 is exclusive as well :/)

If buying a system I know I won't love is what I gotta do to play the sequel to one of my favourite IPs of All time, then I'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom