• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daschysta

I'm just glad to see Nintendo taking risks and using some of their gigantic cash reserve to green light projects that are the opposite of a sure thing.

This, allowing Monolith a huge budget (they intend to compete with huge budget graphical showcases like Bethesda) despite poor sales for xenoblade, and for a new IP at that, Wonderful 101 as a "wonderful" looking new IP, and pushing the absent for a generation Pikmin 3 as a launch window game instead of a sure thing like Donkey Kong or Kart, indicate to me that Nintendo is very serious about going balls to the wall to win back any "hardcore" (lame word) gamers that were put off by the wii.

Nintendo's initiative of forming super tight bonds with talented but niche studio's such as Platinum Games, combined with their proposition for 3rd parties to revive long dormant franchises for the Wii-U has me more excited for the Wii-U gen than I ever was for the Wii (though I loved the Wii)

Prepare for more meltdowns though, Nintendo is the one approaching 3rd parties about reviving old IP's, IP's that would likely have not been given a second thought without Nintendo's initiative. What does this mean? It means that Nintendo is likely to publish alot of the games that they convince developers to revive, meaning Wii-U exclusivity. It will be just as dumb when people melt down then, but if people are melting down over this, which saved the entire damn game from purgatory I can't imagine how militant people are going to be if Nintendo published, say, a new Shenmue, Breath of Fire, Actraiser or some other dead IP that would have never ever been made again if not for Nintendo. A few more of these things happen and we'll see who is freaking out just because they hate Nintendo, and who would consider a purchase when enough of these types of games land on the console.

Everyone should just be glad this game is alive, and will be optimized for the strongest console at the time the game launches, and will probably be given a much beefier budget than they ever would have gotten from Sega. There really is no reason to be upset about this. Sure you can wish it was coming to a platform you own, but it WASN'T GOING TO BE MADE WITHOUT NINTENDO. Which precludes any significant, entitled crying.

Being a bit upset would be perfectly understandable if Nintendo moneyhatted the game and stopped it from going to other platforms. The monster hunter thing, as much as I love having the games on my primary console, was understandable, it was a PSP series and would have continued being if Nintendo hadn't stepped in. Dragon Quest was more understandable. This, however, isn't understandable.

Pimpbaa

It'll be nice when I can express my frustration about Bayonetta 2 without being put on a wall of shame, mocked or told how I should feel about it. Maybe in a week.

People are being mocked because the game was dead before this. It was never coming out for the ps3 or 360.

antonz

They have in fact bought some in the past though. Including the somewhat recent (and well praised) purchase of Monolith Soft. With all the Nintendo publishing deals Platinum is getting it's definitely starting to seem more of a matter of "when" rather than "if". Only time will tell though.

I could see Nintendo doing a Sakurai type deal with Platinum. Sakurai is independent but basically is a Nintendo Employee with what he does.

Would be just fine with me too. Platinum fills an area that Nintendo typically does not venture so would be a really solid thing

Beth Cyra

They have in fact bought some in the past though. Including the somewhat recent (and well praised) purchase of Monolith Soft. With all the Nintendo publishing deals Platinum is getting it's definitely starting to seem more of a matter of "when" rather than "if". Only time will tell though.

I don't think it's a when at all really.

Nintendo has had even way more deals with Tecmo Koei including publishing a game in the same genre as Bayo and at least Team Ninja has shown desire to continue the relationship, yet very few people honestly believe there is a chance that Nintendo would try to buy out TK.

vg260

It'll be nice when I can express my frustration about Bayonetta 2 without being put on a wall of shame, mocked or told how I should feel about it. Maybe in a week.

But come on. Look at some of these ridiculous reactions from the wall of SHAME!:

"Hope this goes multiplatform."
"Please don't be exclusive."
":("
"I hope we can get a Bayonetta 2 Sigma or something."
"I think they will port it to the next gen consoles under a different name. I hope so anyway."

I mean can you believe how laughable and absurd these are?????? These comments are so ungrateful!!!!!! Calm down already fellas!!!!

Ramsiege

I don't know if this idea has been posted before, but to me this is Nintendo extending an olive branch to the 'hardcore' (using that term loosely). I honestly think that Nintendo knows there is no way in hell they will make money off this game (don't think the first one made any big profit, or any at all), but they're doing it to re-establish connection with 'core' audience. They're sending a message that the Wii-U will be the place to get new creative games that wouldn't find a home next to some of the big sellers of today on the PS4 or Xbox 720. I think by the end of this upcoming generation, Wii-U will be the Dreamcast of it's generation, and I don't mean that in a negative sales way. I mean it as a console where gamers can get unique, quirky games that they can't get on the PS4 or Xbox720. I can see games like Bayonetta 2, a new Jet Set Radio type game, and other innovative games that aren't AAA (or the new AAAA) made comfortably and without the big financial risks that making them on the PS4 or 720 would have.

I see the super HD twins pretty much continuing where their predecessors left off, releasing the newest iteration of COD, BF, MOH, Halo, Uncharted, GOW and so on and so forth. And that's fine. I like my Uncharted games just as much as I like my Mario games, but I don't see developers for the super HD twins taking chances on quirky games that are fun to pick up and play, and rather lean more towards approaching more cinematic, scripted ventures. We've seen nowadays how most video game company like to set the bar even higher and higher with production values, but not every company can keep up, and I think that's the void that the Wii-U will take up. New games with innovative ideas that are more fun to play than to watch, although that's not to say that it won't have it's big budget AAA games either.

Banned
So why are people mad? Because they have to buy a console?

They're mad that Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2 because they are broke, and Nintendo saw that Bayonetta 2 was well into development and realized they needed some new ip's on their Wii U console, so they agreed to fund the remaining development of Bayonetta 2 and publish it for Nintendo only.

Bayonetta fans are upset that Nintendo revived their beloved series...because it's Nintendo.

ivysaur12

Banned
@KingofSarus

Why... in the MOTHER FUCKING HELL... is BAYONETTA 2... EXCLUSIVELY... on the goddamn WII U?! Fuck you Nintendo!! GODFUCKINGDAMMIT!!!

‏@KingofSarus

I PREFER NOT AT ALL. RT @Compbros: Better on the Wii-U than not at all.

Hahhahah this is AMAZING I love it. Fanboy bullshit is the worst.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well thats a big fuck you to the fanbase, looks like if ya a Bayonetta fan and had no intention getting a Wii U ya gonna have to buy one just to play the sequal to a game you got one PS360, could understand if it was Nextgen graphics and all that but it'll probably be the same as if it was on PS360
bet it'll be really good too
Nevermind :-(
^^ Why are people mad?
Because they've been begging for a sequal on the console they bought the original on, they didn't ask for a sequal on a console they have no interest in, Bayonetta 2 alone doesn't warrant a purchase
I don't see this even selling as good as B1, and thats saying something, and I bet it'll be way better then B1 too

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Don't you understand? They have to buy a console for a single game. There will be no more games, ever, for the Wii U. Bayonetta 2 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $350.

I don't think those Twitter users are considering the possibility of buying a Wii U.

I do mean Activision.

Thing is even Nintendo seemingly didn't buy out the rights to Bayo.

Why would any third party (much less when SE has it's own type of Character/Action RPG hybrid in Kingdom Hearts) try to buy out the Ip when the first did a just a tad over a million?

This isn't like Sleeping Dogs and SE buying a brand and Open World game set up because we have games in the genre selling crazy amounts like GTA and RDR. This is Character action where the highest hovers between 5-6 Million.
Oh, I'm not saying it would be worth it for Bayonetta.

Just that it's not impossible, nor necessarily implausible for a more valuable IP.

For a ridiculous example, if Sony or Microsoft could conceivably buy Mario at a reasonable price for the expected return on investment - I imagine they would.

But come on. Look at these ridiculous reactions!:

"Hope this goes multiplatform."
"Please don't be exclusive."
":("
"I hope we can get a Bayonetta 2 Sigma or something."
"I think they will port it to the next gen consoles under a different name. I hope so anyway."

I mean can you believe how laughable and absurd these are?????? These comments are so ungrateful!!!!!! Calm down already fellas!!!!

I actually think this is really funny actually considering this thread has such a huge outrage about Bayonetta 2 becoming Wii U exclusive than the thread about Bayonetta 2 being cancelled. So yeah, it's actually quite funny looking at those reactions even if they aren't huge outburst.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well thats a big fuck you to the fanbase, looks like if ya a Bayonetta fan and had no intention getting a Wii U ya gonna have to buy one just to play the sequal to a game you got one PS360, could understand if it was Nextgen graphics and all that but it'll probably be the same as if it was on PS360

You do know the Wii U has a better GPU and more RAM than PS360, right?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I deserve a tag that reads: Time-traveler user, not this TWEWY shit that's like a spike through my heart. :(

If the mods still operate like they used to, asking for a new tag usually backfires on you in some horrifying way.

Just fyi

abadguy

Banned
They're mad that Sega cancelled Bayonetta 2 because they are broke, and Nintendo saw that Bayonetta 2 was well into development and realized they needed some new ip's on their Wii U console, so they agreed to fund the remaining development of Bayonetta 2 and publish it for Nintendo only.

Bayonetta fans are upset that Nintendo revived their beloved series...because it's Nintendo.

Yeah that's exactly what it is....Has nothing to do with having to drop 300 for a game. Noope. Everyone is out to get Nintendo.

TDLink

I could see Nintendo doing a Sakurai type deal with Platinum. Sakurai is independent but basically is a Nintendo Employee with what he does.

Would be just fine with me too. Platinum fills an area that Nintendo typically does not venture so would be a really solid thing

Actually, I am pretty sure Nintendo owns a majority stake (or near majority?) in Sora LTD. I would have to look up the percentages to be sure. It is at the least second party and not independent at all though.

Nintendo has had even way more deals with Tecmo Koei including publishing a game in the same genre as Bayo and at least Team Ninja has shown desire to continue the relationship, yet very few people honestly believe there is a chance that Nintendo would try to buy out TK.

Tecmo Koei publishes their own games fairly frequently. Platinum has never published their own titles and their recent publishing deal with SEGA seems to be at an end. The situations are different.

Donnie

How dare Nintendo come over here and take games away from hard working companies like Sony and MS! Why don't they just go back where they belong, developing Mario games!

They Tuk er games!!

vg260

If anything 360/PS3 owners should be upset at Sony and Microsoft or other publishers for NOT picking it up themselves. There's no rational way to be upset with Nintendo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeah that's exactly what it is....Has nothing to do with having to drop 300 for a game. Noope. Everyone is out to get Nintendo.

hypothetically speaking, how upset would you be if instead it was announced as a PS4/720 launch title and you had to shell out 350-400 instead.

So if Nintendo wasn't publishing this game, would it be made?

If not, then I can't be mad. If it would have been made anyway ROT IN HELL NINTENDO! lol, so fun.

Publishers are dying to fund several year old Japanese character action games made at the tail end of a generation and dumped by the original publisher.

Take Two would cancel GTA V today if they knew they could get their hands on that sweet, sweet Bayonetta 2 money.

I hear Activision is beating down Itagaki's door to replace Call of Duty next year with Devil's Third, in fact.

Careful, you know that these quotes will appear under the headline 'Nintendo beat out several publishers for Bayonetta 2 rights. -More revivals to come' at some point.

Satch

Banned
Nintendo you're a mystery
You come along with a destiny
This is your life
Console warriors telling you
Who
You
Are

Nintendo this is your time
You're gonna sparkle
You're gonna shine
Reggie when you fight it looks like a dance
You're magic
You're maaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiiiiic

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42099826&postcount=3471

Also:

CrpCL.jpg

Yes, people go mental with Nintendo exclusivity.

VariantX

Looking forward to see how the sequel is gonna top the original. There was some crazy, fun and epic stuff in the first game that most games ive played personally can't compete with.

Daschysta

Tecmo would be much more expensive, thus makes more sense on a game to game basis. Nintendo could easily buy Platinum exclusivity (with an assurance they will be allowed creative freedom to a large extent.) and not even break a sweat financially.

It would actually be the smart thing to do, or at the very least "sakurai" him. They fill a void in Nintendo's lineup, wouldn't be expensive, yet are highly respected by the enthusiast crowd Nintendo is trying to bring back to it's platform. I predict something to that extent happens within a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom