• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerd

wii play motion did not have the same level of marketing as wii play had.

and if you are suggesting wii fit 3 and wii sports 3 will sell like wii play motion did that will be desastrous for nintendo.

Wii Play Motion sold about 1/30th of the copies that Wii Play did. That must have been quite the marketing dive. What you're suggesting is for Nintendo to lean on the sales of games like this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Are people still comparing the sales of Skyward Sword to Twilight Princess - the game that was hyped for years, had fans salivating over it, was launched with a new platform as the only AAA 'core' game people could buy anyway?

And then saying Skyward Sword is clearly a failure as it trucks towards 4 million copies and proof Zelda is on the way out?

And this btw is during the Wii's twilight (ha ha) years... when supposedly everyone "hardcore" sold their Wii years ago and nobody is buying Wii games outside of Just Dance anymore?

This is not Sean Malstrom's troll blog.

farnham

Banned
Wii Play Motion sold about 1/30th of the copies that Wii Play did. That must have been quite the marketing dive. What you're suggesting is for Nintendo to lean on the sales of games like this.

no im suggesting that nintendo needs to develop and publish a variety of games while strengthening the ips that were proven to be successful (like wii play). i never said they should solely rely on wii play.

wii play motion was not marketed at all. it appeared first in a investor conference and we had only one logo of it for month. then it was released.

it was actually a pretty good game and pretty good value (came with a wii mote plus) but with lack of marketing it didnt find any interest

wii party which was released a few month before and had minimal marketing did sell pretty well.

Farnham i'm not sure that's how game budgets work anyway. I don't think if they stopped making zelda games they could magically split that money up and make a ton of new IP's. It doesn't always work that way.

that will be no feat

How many franchises are there that can consistently sell 4+ million copes per iteration (especially one that has been around for like 5 generations)? My opinion is that it will sell as well or better than TP but i was being conservative.

wii play motion did not have the same level of marketing as wii play had.

and if you are suggesting wii fit 3 and wii sports 3 will sell like wii play motion did that will be desastrous for nintendo.

They absolutely would if nintendo followed your logic. You really think if nintendo released like 20 of the wii_X brand games this gen that sales would have been impacted?

i am saying that zeldas development costs are too bloated and they could make more smaller games with that budget.

Except that is one of the important roles that zelda plays. How many other games do nintendo make that can truly showcase the power of the hardware it is on? Sometimes it is important to have a game like that.

they dont necessarily need to be named wii__x

i was also thinking of titles like tomodatchi collection

nintendo seems to have a lot of such titles that are in concept demo stage but never see the light of day because they dont get developed into a product.

I'm sure nintendo never thought of this. All they have to do is come up with dozens of new IP's every gen that can sell millions of copies, sounds easy enough.

farnham

Banned
It wasn't bundled with Wii like WiiSports was and thus hasn't "sold" 80 million copies, but only 3,5 million. It's clearly on its deathbed.

dont act like everygame bundled with wii would have sold millions

last story and tales of graces was bundled with wii too

farnham

Banned
They absolutely would if nintendo followed your logic. You really think if nintendo released like 20 of the wii_X brand games this gen that sales would have been impacted?

as i stated above wii__ title was just something i used to make it more clear (relatively low budget releases with fresh new ideas)

they dont need to be branded wii___ they can be named tomodachi collection, brain training, stage debut or whatever.

Just out of interest how much do you expect the followups to those franchises to sell on the wii U? Have you seen what has happened to brain training?

is it confirmed that last story 2 or tales of will be on wiiu?
I'm sure nintendo never thought of this. All they have to do is come up with dozens of new IP's every gen that can sell millions of copies, sounds easy enough.

they come up with dozens of new ip... most of it gets burrowed in japan and never gets released anywhere else

gogogow

Well, you can't sell millions if there aren't a million TLS and ToG bundles to begin with :p

And you bet they will sell millions if Nintendo put those games in the standard Wii bundle instead of Wii Sports.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Trolling confirmed... Because a game being bundled with 90% of Wii systems sold (depending on the region) over several years is the same as a few limited release 100% optionally avoidable bundles that come long after Wii has sold the majority of its LTD... ToG didn't even go ww and the series' later success if anything shows Nintendo should have done more to try and keep them rather than shy away from going after such smaller games. Maybe they wouldn't have achieved as much as they did on Sony platforms but they would have swayed some to Nintendo and some away from Sony given the popularity it's been elevated to. Just as MonHun on 3DS isn't doing nearly as good as on PSP yet you consider it a worthy acquisition with your double & vague standards.

as i stated above wii__ title was just something i used to make it more clear (relatively low budget releases with fresh new ideas)

they dont need to be branded wii___ they can be named tomodachi collection, brain training, stage debut or whatever.

These titles are extremely difficult to make though. Zelda is a guaranteed franchise that can move millions of software and can showcase their hardware at the same time.

There is no guarantee that those sort of titles will be successful at all. Furthermore have you noticed something about all the game you listed? They pretty much all came in the boom time when nintendo was first exploring casual games, that time has come and gone. It won't be so easy to make games like that in the future (not that it was easy).

they come up with dozens of new ip... most of it gets burrowed in japan and never gets released anywhere else

No they don't and even if that were true why do you think that would be the case? Maybe because most of those games would flop if released in the west (unlike zelda which is much bigger outside of Japan).

farnham

Banned
Well, you can't sell millions if there aren't a million TLS and ToG bundles to begin with :p

yes and there wouldnt be millions of TLS and ToG bundles if those little allocations of bundles cant even sell out . i was in akihabara when TLS launched and spotted a few of those TLS bundles. a few month later TLS dropped to 1500 yen and i saw a wave of TLS bundles.

And you bet they will sell millions if Nintendo put those games in the standard Wii bundle instead of Wii Sports.
what?

Trolling confirmed... Because a game being bundled with 90% of Wii systems sold (depending on the region) over several years is the same as a few limited release bundles that come long after Wii has sold the majority of its LTD... ToG didn't even go ww and the series later success if anything shows Nintendo should have done more to try and keep them rather than shy away from going after such smaller games. Maybe they wouldn't have achieved as much as they did on Sony platforms but they would have swayed some to Nintendo and some away from Sony given the popularity it's been elevated to. Just like MonHun on 3DS isn't doing nearly as good as on PSP yet you still consider it a worthy acquisition with your double and vague standards.

as i said they had trouble selling the little limited allocations of bundles they had in japan, at least with TLS (i spotted a few of the ToG bundles too however I dont know if they were new or used). being in a bundle doesnt mean that its a systemseller like wiisports

These titles are extremely difficult to make though. Zelda is a guaranteed franchise that can move millions of software and can showcase their hardware at the same time.

There is no guarantee that those sort of titles will be successful at all. Furthermore have you noticed something about all the game you listed? They pretty much all came in the boom time when nintendo was first exploring casual games, that time has come and gone. It won't be so easy to make games like that in the future (not that it was easy).

No they don't and even if that were true why do you think that would be the case? Maybe because most of those games would flop if released in the west (unlike zelda which is much bigger outside of Japan).

they did it in the past too.. with games like doushin the giant, cubivore or animal crossing... or the art style games.. sure only one of those games i mentioned made it big. but i think thats the way to go for nintendo rather than investing in minor third party franchises.

yes they did. look at the release list of ds and wii in japan. you will notice bunch of titles that you never heard of. those are games that were experimental and some of them became big others didnt.

nintendo tends to use japan as a experimental ground. if it succeeds in japan they will bring it over to other markets.

jerd

no im suggesting that nintendo needs to develop and publish a variety of games while strengthening the ips that were proven to be successful (like wii play). i never said they should solely rely on wii play.

You just said that Nintendo should rely on games like Wii Play, maybe not exclusively Wii Play but those types of IPs.

yup.. ms and sony can cater to "gamers". no need for everybody to do the same thing

why is this still going...

Holy shit this just made me realize I have wasted hours of my life arguing about this. I need a GAF break.

they did it in the past too.. with games like doushin the giant, cubivore or animal crossing... or the art style games.. sure only one of those games i mentioned made it big. but i think thats the way to go for nintendo rather than investing in minor third party franchises.

Yes one of them did, the others made it nowhere. This is why you need a stable of reliable IP's because the types of games you are suggesting are not sure bets.

Also do you really not understand the difference between developing a game in house and investing in a 3rd party franchise? Nintendo has limited man power, they can't just take that money back and develop another game.

yes they did. look at the release list of ds and wii in japan. you will notice bunch of titles that you never heard of. those are games that were experimental and some of them became big others didnt.

nintendo tends to use japan as a experimental ground. if it succeeds in japan they will bring it over to other markets.

How many of those games become as big as zelda? How many franchises has nintendo ever made that are as big as zelda?

gogogow

It's simple, bundle TLS or ToG with the Wii instead of Wii Sports and they will sell millions.
You know, the game that comes standard with the Wii, Wii Sports?

That's just a follow-up of my previous comment of "there's arent a million bundles to begin with". The Wii Sports bundle is standard, putting TLS and ToG in there would be a guarantee for it to sell millions.

farnham

Banned
Yes one of them did, the others made it nowhere. This is why you need a stable of reliable IP's because the types of games you are suggesting are not sure bets.

thats what im saying.. make a lot of them and maybe one or two of them get super hits.. but the one or two games that go the distance will make the development efforts of the company as a whole, profitable and you will be able to make new ips without relying on other people.
Also do you really not understand the difference between developing a game in house and investing in a 3rd party franchise? Nintendo has limited man power, they can't just take that money back and develop another game.
so what im saying is invest in more manpower to get the ip for yourself rather than helping other people to maintain their ip just to get a insignificant release.

How many of those games become as big as zelda? How many franchises has nintendo ever made that are as big as zelda?
mario, wii fit, wii sports, mario kart.. animal crossing will probably join very soon.
It's simple, bundle TLS or ToG with the Wii instead of Wii Sports and they will sell millions.
You know, the game that comes standard with the Wii, Wii Sports?

That's just a follow-up of my previous comment of "there's arent a million bundles to begin with". The Wii Sports bundle is standard, putting TLS and ToG in there would be a guarantee for it to sell millions.

i told you.. those limited amounts of bundles of those games didnt even sell out. how will they sell millions of millions if those existed.

Stop kidding ourselves, we all know this is the first step from Nintendo to buy Sega.

If this means a nintendo developed 2D sonic than OMYGODYES.

thats what im saying.. make a lot of them and maybe one or two of them get super hits.. but the one or two games that go the distance will make the development efforts of the company as a whole, profitable and you will be able to make new ips without relying on other people.

But there is no guarantee and that's the problem. They are far better off continuing with their successful franchises whilst trying to produce some new successful IP's. Too much investment in either one would be a bad idea.

so what im saying is invest in more manpower to get the ip for yourself rather than helping other people to maintain their ip just to get a insignificant release.

That's easier said than done. If it was that easy just to expand their 1st party staple without having a negative impact on the quality of their output i'm sure they would be doing it.

mario, wii fit, wii sports, mario kart.. animal crossing will probably join very soon.

Well that's a whole 5 games (there are others like super smash bros you missed though). The next iterations of wii sports and wii fit will struggle to sell as well as the next zelda imo (especially wii sports).

Again you are ignoring that a big budget game like zelda can also be a showcase for your console. Sometimes it is important to have these games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ok Ok I take it back

Kamiya twitter wanking is absolutely preferable to this

you win

Asherdude

Gamers go where the games are. And if Nintendo buys up exclusives, the Wii U will be in everyone's homes. That's how Sony put the PSX and PS2 on top.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know, I just realized...

The PS3 version sold the most right? I wonder if people who judged Bayonetta went solely for that version of the game.

Riposte

If you can afford a Wii U you should probably get one by the time Bayonetta 2 or Wonderful 101 comes out. It will be a good console for Japanese games.

rvy

Banned
Edit, shit, what am I doing bumping old threads. The quote from the new thread brought me here, I'm sorry, lol.

Do we have a supposed release date for Bayonetta 2?

Zavvi is now reporting a January, 05 2014 date that could even make sense (with maybe a dedicated end-of-year Nintendo Direct coming first), also considering WiiU lineup for early next year appears to be pretty sparse at this time.

monome

Do we have a supposed release date for Bayonetta 2?

Zavvi is now reporting a January, 05 2014 date that could even make sense (with maybe a dedicated end-of-year Nintendo Direct coming first), also considering WiiU lineup for early next year appears to be pretty sparse at this time.

if bayo 2 release on my birthday, I'll blow all of GAF's dicks.

good friend, there is 0% chance of that.

as of now, Bayo 2 release schedule is a matter of :
1/ it development status
2/ when nintendo intends to release Mario Kart.

in both cases, you can bet your ass, the games will be out when ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom