• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 Trailer (2022) Mommy is back

Keihart

Her basic combos would strip her down.

Then you can't fucking read.
Wicked weaves strip her to a one piece swimming suit and only climax sometimes stripped her naked.
Every combo would get her closer to the swimsuit as you approach a wicked weave.

It is a mechanic of itself so i wonder how wicked weaves are gonna be telegraphed now if this isn't in the game, not that i think it's necessary but it was a core concept of making combos intuitive for newcomers.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Wicked weaves strip her to a one piece swimming suit and only climax sometimes stripped her naked.
Every combo would get her closer to the swimsuit as you approach a wicked weave.

It is a mechanic of itself so i wonder how wicked weaves are gonna be telegraphed now if this isn't in the game, not that i think it's necessary but it was a core concept of making combos intuitive for newcomers.

I'm pretty sure that was just for the Nintendo Direct bc they wanted to keep the show all ages appropriate. They censored blood in one of the Fire Emblem trailers like that once and then it was in the actual game.

Nintendo and Platinum made a big deal about how the Switch had adult games too a while back, and Kamiya isn't the type to bend to societal pressure. Wouldn't make sense to censor the game now imo.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think we need to be worried about this aspect of the game.

The performance is what I'm worried about, game seemed to chug at several points in the trailer.

Keihart

I'm pretty sure that was just for the Nintendo Direct bc they wanted to keep the show all ages appropriate. They censored blood in one of the Fire Emblem trailers like that once and then it was in the actual game.

Nintendo and Platinum made a big deal about how the Switch had adult games too a while back, and Kamiya isn't the type to bend to societal pressure. Wouldn't make sense to censor the game now imo.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think we need to be worried about this aspect of the game.

The performance is what I'm worried about, game seemed to chug at several points in the trailer.
Not even worried about it, i can live with no swimsuit shots.
I would be devastated if this was looking like 2 without new mechanics and a non stop "set pieces" bosses.

I'm pretty excited by them opening with new mechanics on the trailer.

Ezquimacore

Banned

If there are 2 versions of bayo whe could have og risky bayo and this one a bit more playful.

We really have people thinking a ps3 is on par with switch sigh lol. Tools.

It’s not even close ; the ancient gpu in ps3 is half a generation behind switch in docked mode, and switch has 8 times the ram.

The cell is more powerful than switch’s cpu, but the cell in ps3 is mostly used to help the terrible gpu render graphics.

As for why you people can’t look at mario kart 8 in 1080p, or mario odyssey, or luigi, it’s because they don’t satisfy your edgelord fanboy itch.

Or heck, compare bayo 1 on 360 to bayo 2 switch fps.

For best apples to apples, compare crysis 3 on both.

I dig her look! I like the nod to her younger self. Even the dancing she does during summons reminds me of young Japanese pop divas. She feels different somehow; I wonder if this has anything to do with the story.

Regarding the lack of nudity, I assume that the issue lies in part with the fact that now Bayonetta and the camera are freely movable while summons take place. I think that makes it tough to use an appropriately placed camera to hide her most private tidbits under swirls of hair. Whatever, I was never someone who endorsed it anyway. I felt that as a character she owned her sexuality well but I couldn't help but think that, in the end, the nudity was just fan-service.

Labolas

All right so I finally watched the trailer (a couple of times lol) now, I have some concerns:

1.) This is NOT Bayo from previous games. The voice actress is different. She looks younger. The way she summons demons is different.
2.) The trailer doesn't take place in Vigrid. It looks like a modern city. Tokyo, maybe?
3.) The game graphically looks worse. Looks to perform worse overall.
4.) The enemies this Bayo is fighting are not angels nor demons. Humans typically can't see angels nor demons.
5.) This Bayo's face looks better but her ponytails are very distracting
6.) Gameplay perspective, I'm very concerned about where this is going. A lot of enemies weren't reacting to Bayo's attack outside of her summon demons
6a.) Her summoning infernal demons seems similar to Umbran Climax, which I hope isn't too the same. Seems to be very limited.
7.) I am thinking that this is an alternate reality where this is Cereza grown up and this is just one version of Bayo we're playing.
8.) The enemies look like can bend reality as seen near the end of the trailer with Bayo riding Gomorrah.
9.) The character at the end of the trailer is most likely a different timeline Jeanne where Bayo died. She has Chesire, Cereza's favorite doll, on her sword.

Sorcerer

I don't understand why that is out of place to you?
Bayonetta goes all kind of places, why would she not go in a subway?
Maybe its just me, she is in the middle of a fight with a monster then she is in a subway fighting guards I guess and back to the monster. If the game is trying to show different scenarios then this is just edited pretty poorly without much context. Or is Bayonetta summoning the power of Subway fight in the middle of a boss battle lol.
Not one to ever hate on Bayonetta. I wish it was also available for pc and other platforms, but I am grateful the franchise exists at all. If Nintendo did not save it I would not be watching this trailer today after all.

Last edited:

daclynk

why even border answering those saying the graphics looks. its a lost course. THEY ARE HERE TO TROLL. they are never interested in getting the game on the switch anyway! Same thing happened when Bayo 2 got annouced! or have you all forgetting that famous thread!

Neff

The trailer doesn't take place in Vigrid. It looks like a modern city. Tokyo, maybe?

It's Tokyo. The 109 building (or a cheeky TW101 reference version of it) is pretty much the first thing you see, which is kind of apt

DBJSIQ.jpg

Lethal01

Maybe its just me, she is in the middle of a fight with a monster then she is in a subway fighting guards I guess and back to the monster. If the game is trying to show different scenarios then this is just edited pretty poorly without much context. Or is Bayonetta summoning the power of Subway fight in the middle of a boss battle lol.
Not one to ever hate on Bayonetta. I wish it was also available for pc and other platforms, but I am grateful the franchise exists at all. If Nintendo did not save it I would not be watching this trailer today after all.
I see, it seems to obviously just be a trailer cut to me, I really didn't see anything confusing on it and I'm guessing you're the odd one out here.
I got my own gripes with the trailer.

Valonquar

Running on Nintendo continues to be the weirdest descion they could make, almost like the devs are just more comfortable developing a game on a 15+ year old game engine. I'm sure the gameplay will be fun button mashing, but if I wanted to play something this retro looking, I could just fire up my PS2.

Robb

Gold Member
Looks a bit rough imo. I’m also not sure about the monster-controlling in combat, need to see more.

That being said though, I’m definitely looking forward to it. Bayo 1 and 2 are fantastic!

This youtuber does a very good job of explaining the trailer

The trailer just showed one level I think, there are gonna be lots of more levels and characters. I am looking forward to the game. Cant believe the game has been in development for 5 years?!

Last edited:

Keihart

All right so I finally watched the trailer (a couple of times lol) now, I have some concerns:

1.) This is NOT Bayo from previous games. The voice actress is different. She looks younger. The way she summons demons is different.
2.) The trailer doesn't take place in Vigrid. It looks like a modern city. Tokyo, maybe?
3.) The game graphically looks worse. Looks to perform worse overall.
4.) The enemies this Bayo is fighting are not angels nor demons. Humans typically can't see angels nor demons.
5.) This Bayo's face looks better but her ponytails are very distracting
6.) Gameplay perspective, I'm very concerned about where this is going. A lot of enemies weren't reacting to Bayo's attack outside of her summon demons
6a.) Her summoning infernal demons seems similar to Umbran Climax, which I hope isn't too the same. Seems to be very limited.
7.) I am thinking that this is an alternate reality where this is Cereza grown up and this is just one version of Bayo we're playing.
8.) The enemies look like can bend reality as seen near the end of the trailer with Bayo riding Gomorrah.
9.) The character at the end of the trailer is most likely a different timeline Jeanne where Bayo died. She has Chesire, Cereza's favorite doll, on her sword.
You are all kinds of wrong with this.
One of the biggest shit design choices of 2 was to nerf wicked weaves and witch time to "balance" the game. (with the idea of making constant short witch time activations and umbran climax your most effective tools)

6) You can already see in this trailer that witch time is back to the 5-6 seconds of the first game. (it was like 2 seconds at most in 2)

The only wicked weave seen in the trailer is shown launching an enemy outside of witchtime or umbran climax, again, back to Bayo 1 design.

7) You can see in the trailer how you can select which infernal demon to summon, like weapon switching, there are 3 visible choices, Gomorrah, Malphas and Phantasmaranae, and how they have their own bar, they constantly consume your "witch power" bar, and how they can do ranged, punches, kicks and an equivalent to torture attacks too (if you pay attention to the icons while they are summoned)

Talking about torture attacks, now we have multiple target torture attacks? this is so cool because now there is a reason to spend bar on them and has it's own especial utility for crowd control. In 2 everything was better off spended on umbran climax for the infernal weaves.

I also see no random parries in the trailer and the humanoid enemies in the subway seem to get staggered by normal hits, such an upgrade from bayo 2 already in terms of combat alone in my opinion.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The amount of characters on screen and the size of the monsters you fight?

B1&2 had large enemies but were shown in segments right? Was there full on Kaiju battles in B1&2?
Whats that got to do with the game being open world or not?

brian0057

Banned
People bitching and moaning about the game looking like a PS3 title and then acting shocked when any given studio goes bankrupt because they couldn't sell 10 million copies to break even on a game that costs $200M to make.

I'll take the subpar graphics if it's fun to play and doesn't make Platinum the next Enron... or a studio owned by Sony or EA.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Whats that got to do with the game being open world or not?
Very little!

You could have increased boss fights/map sizes and enemy count without being open world.

Maybe those design decisions would have an impact on overall visual presentation as some folks seem to be poopooing on the visual quality of the trailer.

I think it looks fluid and will be happy to play b3 regardless of visual fidelity.!

Majukun

This youtuber does a very good job of explaining the trailer

The trailer just showed one level I think, there are gonna be lots of more levels and characters. I am looking forward to the game. Cant believe the game has been in development for 5 years?!

Probably not gonna be 5 full years.
The rumor, that seems to find some elements of truth in the trailer, is that they decided to implement stuff from scale bound when the game was canceled, so the game was effectively rebooted at least once.

Majukun

Running on Nintendo continues to be the weirdest descion they could make, almost like the devs are just more comfortable developing a game on a 15+ year old game engine. I'm sure the gameplay will be fun button mashing, but if I wanted to play something this retro looking, I could just fire up my PS2.
What's weird in Nintendo giving them the money and them developing the game?

Labolas

You are all kinds of wrong with this.
One of the biggest shit design choices of 2 was to nerf wicked weaves and witch time to "balance" the game. (with the idea of making constant short witch time activations and umbran climax your most effective tools)

6) You can already see in this trailer that witch time is back to the 5-6 seconds of the first game. (it was like 2 seconds at most in 2)

The only wicked weave seen in the trailer is shown launching an enemy outside of witchtime or umbran climax, again, back to Bayo 1 design.

7) You can see in the trailer how you can select which infernal demon to summon, like weapon switching, there are 3 visible choices, Gomorrah, Malphas and Phantasmaranae, and how they have their own bar, they constantly consume your "witch power" bar, and how they can do ranged, punches, kicks and an equivalent to torture attacks too (if you pay attention to the icons while they are summoned)

Talking about torture attacks, now we have multiple target torture attacks? this is so cool because now there is a reason to spend bar on them and has it's own especial utility for crowd control. In 2 everything was better off spended on umbran climax for the infernal weaves.

I also see no random parries in the trailer and the humanoid enemies in the subway seem to get staggered by normal hits, such an upgrade from bayo 2 already in terms of combat alone in my opinion.
Well, we've only seen two enemy types so the only thing we can do is make assumptions and guesses at this point. Also wasn't really referring to WT in this but if it is like WT from 2 where you couldn't launch most enemies without it, making it 5-6 seconds doesn't fix the problem. The problem with WT in 2 wasn't just the window for how long it lasts, it also made players too reliant on it. Bayo 1 can function without WT, 2 doesn't.

That Wicked Weave isn't really how they worked in Bayo1, that looks more like Umbran Climax or a DT. Certain combos allow two or three Wicked Weaves at most. It's not a flurry of attacks as shown in the trailer.

From what was shown, it isn't like weapon switching from Bayo1 or 2 or DMC 4 or 5 because weapon switching in those games like you do it on the fly.

With that said, I hope my concerns for the game are alleviated or are a non-issue. Still looking forward to the game nonetheless.

Keihart

Well, we've only seen two enemy types so the only thing we can do is make assumptions and guesses at this point. Also wasn't really referring to WT in this but if it is like WT from 2 where you couldn't launch most enemies without it, making it 5-6 seconds doesn't fix the problem. The problem with WT in 2 wasn't just the window for how long it lasts, it also made players too reliant on it. Bayo 1 can function without WT, 2 doesn't.

That Wicked Weave isn't really how they worked in Bayo1, that looks more like Umbran Climax or a DT. Certain combos allow two or three Wicked Weaves at most. It's not a flurry of attacks as shown in the trailer.

From what was shown, it isn't like weapon switching from Bayo1 or 2 or DMC 4 or 5 because weapon switching in those games like you do it on the fly.

With that said, I hope my concerns for the game are alleviated or are a non-issue. Still looking forward to the game nonetheless
It's the only wicked weaves on the trailer so i don't know where your enemies don't flinch comes from, wicked weave is used enemy goes fliying. Yes, i'm aware it's showing a new mechanic too that we don't know how it works, but it's obviously neither umbran climax nor witch time.

I said like, not the same regarding infernal demons, you at least have 3 that can be summoned and consume bar as umbran climax and in the subway you can't use them, so they are obviously a persistent mechanic instead of a specific finisher for bosses. You can see it being used in normal battles.

From what the trailer shows i think your complains are unfounded since it's clearly separating itself from 2 which we can agree it's the problem.

Labolas

It's the only wicked weaves on the trailer so i don't know where your enemies don't flinch comes from, wicked weave is used enemy goes fliying. Yes, i'm aware it's showing a new mechanic too that we don't know how it works, but it's obviously neither umbran climax nor witch time.

I said like, not the same regarding infernal demons, you at least have 3 that can be summoned and consume bar as umbran climax and in the subway you can't use them, so they are obviously a persistent mechanic instead of a specific finisher for bosses. You can see it being used in normal battles.

From what the trailer shows i think your complains are unfounded since it's clearly separating itself from 2 which we can agree it's the problem.
Look at the start of the fight, the enemy doesn't get staggered not any of the enemies are being juggled in the subway. They were barely reacting to her attacks. Most of the enemies outside of Kinships and Inspires could be juggled, staggered or wall bounced in Bayo 1. Again that example you used is definitely a more suped version of Bayo (ie Umbran Climax or Serious Mode)

Guess what Umbran Climax was? A persistent mechanic. Hell, torture attacks are more like finishers considering that outright oneshot lesser enemies or take huge damage from greater enemies like Grace and Glory.

I think that is the problem. It's not like 2 nor 1. It's showing over the top things but not really anything of substance, mechanically speaking. But I hope that I'm wrong

Keihart

Look at the start of the fight, the enemy doesn't get staggered not any of the enemies are being juggled in the subway. They were barely reacting to her attacks. Most of the enemies outside of Kinships and Inspires could be juggled, staggered or wall bounced in Bayo 1. Again that example you used is definitely a more suped version of Bayo (ie Umbran Climax or Serious Mode)

Guess what Umbran Climax was? A persistent mechanic. Hell, torture attacks are more like finishers considering that outright oneshot lesser enemies or take huge damage from greater enemies like Grace and Glory.

I think that is the problem. It's not like 2 nor 1. It's showing over the top things but not really anything of substance, mechanically speaking. But I hope that I'm wrong
The smaller enemies on the subway do get staggered.
I disagree on not showing anything of substance, the summoning mechanic seems pretty fleshed out, new wicked weaves and new torture attack mechanics seem interesting to me too.
Not only because they needed rework, but because it means they are not keeping the loop from 2.

You can argue that the weaves are not going to launch, but i think that the only wicked weave we see in the trailer is there because of the implications on gameplay, it was pretty common to splash enemies on walls on Bayo 1 with a punch kick punch.

The full witch time duration included in the trailer servers a similar purpose i believe since it's the first gameplay we see on it, this is Platinum addressing the criticism on the trailer while delivering something fresh.

The most exciting part of the summons to me is that this might be the way to trash those set piece bosses of 2, reaching this huge enemies was always a problem because of size, in 1 you get an equivalent of umbran climax a couple of times and the other you kinda punch the air until releasing a wicked weave. The new summon mechanic would give the player a way to interact directly with huge monster and seems more nuanced than the previous solution which got you just spaming dodge until umbran climax.

It looks easier to balance too, small enemies could build the bar slowly so that you can't abuse it on every fight and certain bosses could come with a buff to witch power to sustain the summon longer if necesary.

I don't know, i feel positive about the trailer and don't see this being derivative from 2 which i think would be the real problem.

This looked like it has zero things I like about Bayonetta, but what I liked was fighting average enemies and the vibe of the in between moments. The trailer focused on the biggest baddest moments which look like garbo on switch.

The fact they didn't debut the new song like "moon river" or "fly me to the moon" makes me think they lost touch. I'm pretty sure both games were seen through the eyes of some lesser character. But no, let me dance and make a big dragon do attacks, which just makes bayonetta look small and less interesting instead of larger than life on her own.

Bayonetta is not shit. Played Bayonetta 1 only, game is sassy, silky smooth animation with body movements, awesome soundtrack, great replay value. Love the feel of combat. Cosplay and drag queens wet dream on costume design and make up. Only criticism is with recycling of certain parts of levels, and confusing story line. 9/10

Labolas

The smaller enemies on the subway do get staggered.
I disagree on not showing anything of substance, the summoning mechanic seems pretty fleshed out, new wicked weaves and new torture attack mechanics seem interesting to me too.
Not only because they needed rework, but because it means they are not keeping the loop from 2.

You can argue that the weaves are not going to launch, but i think that the only wicked weave we see in the trailer is there because of the implications on gameplay, it was pretty common to splash enemies on walls on Bayo 1 with a punch kick punch.

The full witch time duration included in the trailer servers a similar purpose i believe since it's the first gameplay we see on it, this is Platinum addressing the criticism on the trailer while delivering something fresh.

The most exciting part of the summons to me is that this might be the way to trash those set piece bosses of 2, reaching this huge enemies was always a problem because of size, in 1 you get an equivalent of umbran climax a couple of times and the other you kinda punch the air until releasing a wicked weave. The new summon mechanic would give the player a way to interact directly with huge monster and seems more nuanced than the previous solution which got you just spaming dodge until umbran climax.

It looks easier to balance too, small enemies could build the bar slowly so that you can't abuse it on every fight and certain bosses could come with a buff to witch power to sustain the summon longer if necesary.

I don't know, i feel positive about the trailer and don't see this being derivative from 2 which i think would be the real problem.

The enemies don't get staggered like enemies do in 1 nor 2. Eh, how you can say the summoning mechanic is fleshed out when we haven't seen enough of it? And even in the trailer, it looks like it isn't anything intricate. It's more bombastic than anything else. Mmm new wicked weaves? Not really outside the missile one. Again we haven't seen enough of the game to know there are any more new WWs. Torture attacks are fine but I don't know if they served the function as with previous games.

Again the WT wasn't something I was arguing but this can be adjusted in higher difficulties.

My thing is she interacting with bigger enemies fine in previous games. It felt like PG wanted to implement elements of Scalebound. Which is fine but it isn't exactly what Bayo is known for. She can tangle with enemies that are skyscrapers height no problem. Now she's off dance to the side while Gomorrah fights.

And honestly, as a Bayo fan, I don't want to take your positivity of the trailer away from you. Glad you're happy with the different direction and are defending the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom