• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAYONETTA An Action Game by Hideki Kamiya |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 30609
  • Start date
Always-honest said:
damn.. she looks hot.. nice ass. might buy this for the 360 second hand.
But then Kamiya doesn't get any money and we don't get a sequel.

roman2003h said:
This game is pretty cool, but I have a huge issue with it. I took one day off after playing a chapter and now I have no clue how to play it.. How do you turn into that cat? What buttons do you press? Why does the game expect me to remember those things. Please help me! LOL
R2 or RT twice rapidly.

Mdk7

Just beat chapter 5, 9 hours in (i've been replaying the previous chapters until i get at least a platinum): seriously, this is just as good as a memorable fuck.
Action game of the ever basically, thanks Hideki!

palpabl_purpura said:
I was thinking this last night, but doesn't she look kinda like Sara Palin?

I was wondering this too. Doesn't she look nothing like Sarah Palin?

Sure the glasses are there.. that's as far as it goes lol.

Lucc

roman2003h said:
This game is pretty cool, but I have a huge issue with it. I took one day off after playing a chapter and now I have no clue how to play it.. How do you turn into that cat? What buttons do you press? Why does the game expect me to remember those things. Please help me! LOL

double tap the dodge trigger while moving

btw: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383054

thats how a thread for a new ip should look like..

Monocle

Lostconfused said:
That's how a thread looks like for a mediocre game that barely anyone cares about.
Yeah, no, actually he was right. When I know next to nothing about a game, that's exactly what I want to see in its official thread.

7 pages in and we're still complaining about the OP. The only mistake Rez made was posting this so early.

Is it true that Australian retailers haven't even got stock yet? My local GAME tried to tell me the release date was around the end of January, but maybe it's store policy to play it safe or something.

Aljosa said:
What's so mediocre about it?
What they showed about it. Heaven vs Hell, bulky character design that's rather common in a lot of games. The brief moments of gameplay in the trailer are all action and seem no different from all games of that type.
Fimbulvetr said:
Don't hate.
I don't hate it. Well the game it self at least.

TheExodu5

Banned
Played the demo (PS3 demo...my bandwidth is pretty much maxed this month so I can't dl the 360 demo). While the action seems great, and very Viewtiful Joe'ish, I just can't get passed the style of the game. I still think it's absolutely retarded.

I'll probably be waiting for a price drop on this one. No matter how good the action is, I know I won't enjoy it as much as something like DMC3, as the style and characters are still important to me.

Oh yeah...the PS3 version isn't as bad as people are saying. I'm a huge framerate whore, but it was still playable. The tearing was pretty terrible, but the framerate in battles usually hovered in the 40-60 range.

Lostconfused said:
The brief moments of gameplay in the trailer are all action and seem no different from all games of that type.
:lol I feel sorry for you and your poor reading comprehension skills.

Actually, Darksiders resembles a large scale adventure game, similar to something like the Legend of Zelda. You'll progress through Darksiders by exploring the overworld, going into dungeons, solving puzzles, finding new items, and defeating impressive bosses.
I guess one problem we've had through the development of Darksiders is getting people to understand what it is. Early on, and even up to quite recently, we've released a lot of action/combat videos. Due to this fact, the public are judging the game based on other action heavy games. If combat was our main goal, then this is justified, but we're attempting so much more than just focused action.

If high octane action all the time is what you want, then people may be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, there are some incredibly intense sequences in Darksiders, but there's also plenty of puzzle solving, adventuring and traversal to be done too. We wanted players to feel stripped of their powers, to be vulnerable, but then slowly unfold the world around them as their abilities begin to flourish and their own skill levels increase.

The best analogy, gameplay-wise I could give for Darksiders would be; a mature Zelda (more action with some blood). To some, this may not seem that interesting, but to me, and other people at Vigil, it's an awesome goal to attempt to achieve.

Nice fuck-up there!

Bauer91

Played this for 3 hours straight today and I don't do that often. Amazing game, the gameplay is awesome.

I'm on the last chapter after 9 hours, I thought this was supposed to be longer?
The last boss is kinda hard, I died twice at the second half of the battle and decided it's enough for today... It's a pretty long battle and I didn't feel like replaying it again. Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow... It's pretty epic though, the same goes for the last few bosses.

OP has a second post he can add shit too. Just start bringing the goods, GAF, and I'm sure he'll put them there.

TheExodu5 said:
Played the demo (PS3 demo...my bandwidth is pretty much maxed this month so I can't dl the 360 demo). While the action seems great, and very Viewtiful Joe'ish, I just can't get passed the style of the game. I still think it's absolutely retarded.

Oh yeah...the PS3 version isn't as bad as people are saying. I'm a huge framerate whore, but it was still playable. The tearing was pretty terrible, but the framerate in battles usually hovered in the 40-60 range.

Listen dude I've been telling this to people, just please withhold judgement until you play the 360 demo. If I had only played the PS3 demo, I'd be drawing the exact same conclusion.

I mean, would you still enjoy Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden at 30FPS with dips in the 20's? It makes a world of difference.

Your second statement is false. PS3 version max framerate is 45 when NOTHING is going on. 45 FPS is the worst that the 360 framerate ever dips too even in the most chaotic situations. It is a night and day difference.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
.:Wesker:. said:
But then Kamiya doesn't get any money and we don't get a sequel.

You won't be getting one anyway. He doesn't do sequels. Game isn't even officially released in all territories and you're already crying for a sequel...

Quit bitching about the OP. Get over it.

Volcynika

Arpharmd B said:
Listen dude I've been telling this to people, just please withhold judgement until you play the 360 demo. If I had only played the PS3 demo, I'd be drawing the exact same conclusion.

Your second statement is false. PS3 version max framerate is 45 when NOTHING is going on. 45 FPS is the worst that the 360 framerate ever dips too even in the most chaotic situations. It is a night and day difference.

Are you actually saying that he'll change his mind and like the style of the game if he tries the 360 demo? That's the dumbest argument I've ever seen, if so.

Volcynika said:
Are you actually saying that he'll change his mind and like the style of the game if he tries the 360 demo? That's the dumbest argument I've ever seen, if so.
Wow, I just realized that. :lol

Let the dude have his opinion for fuck sakes, this is an OFFICIAL thread to discuss the game, not a circle jerk where different opinions are frowned upon. Grow the fuck up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Arpharmd B said:
To make things a little more embarrassing I'd say the games technical performance on the 360 is pretty lackluster as well.

Game tears like a quintuplet C-section in some spots.

Volcynika

Aljosa said:
Wow, I just realized that. :lol

Let the dude have his opinion for fuck sakes, this is an OFFICIAL thread to discuss the game, not a circle jerk where different opinions are frowned upon. Grow the fuck up.

I love the game (PS3 VERSION OH NO GOD TEH HORROR LOLZ), but yeah, if someone doesn't like the style, that's fine.

What is Magic used for in the game exactly? Is it just accessories?

Torture attacks use magic as well.

TreIII

Kintaro said:
You won't be getting one anyway. He doesn't do sequels.

Actually, that's not true.

Throughout many different interviews he's given in the last year (EGM, GI, PLAY, etc.), everything points to the notion that he wouldn't MIND doing sequels (and certainly getting sequel money, too).

It's just that he would rather do them on his own time. For example, he would have liked to have come back to the likes of DMC and Okami some day, but now that Capcom has since gone on to make their own sequels, that undermined and killed any remaining desire he has for such a thing. Viewtiful Joe is like the last of his "Capcom chicks" that he could stand returning to, now.

As for Bayo? Well, he's done more to say that he's done all that he can for his contributions to the action genre through this game, so now he's looking to try something else. Unless something goes wrong, I could see him coming back to Bayo some time later...

[Hint, Hint...don't screw it up, Sega....]

entremet

People are still bitching about the OP?! Goddamn.

Arpharmd B said:
OP has a second post he can add shit too. Just start bringing the goods, GAF, and I'm sure he'll put them there.

I mean, would you still enjoy Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden at 30FPS with dips in the 20's? It makes a world of difference.

I agree. I downloaded the PS3 demo first since it was available first and then I played the 360 version. It was a big difference for me. Action games of Bayonetta's ilk really suffer when they have such inconsistent framerates. It actually affects your ability to play them. PS3 version should've been locked at 30. At least then it would've not been as jarring.

danmaku

Dance In My Blood said:
To make things a little more embarrassing I'd say the games technical performance on the 360 is pretty lackluster as well.

True, but only during exploration. Combat sections run silky smooth on the 360.

Holy shit I went to Gamestop today and came back with...

Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires. =)

Oh wait I mean =(

This thread still sucks btw. The OP is great I have no problem with that but there needs to be separate threads for people to bitch about the OP and the PS3 version.

dimb

Red Blaster said:
Wait, this is out early? What stores are breaking the street date?
Found my copy at Best Buy.

Beat it today finally. Such an amazing game that just refused to end. Loved it.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Beat it and WOW. I love this baby from start to finish. Such an awesome, way over the top, hilarious at times (in the most immature way) which was again awesome. Well done Platinum Games.

The dance sequence was the cherry on the icing of the cake. Awesome.

Zezboob

I am getting fucking tired of all those button mashing scenes and all the non beat them all stuff/scene (specially because when I play a beat them all I want to play beat them all, and mostly because they are simply terrible).
Strangely, I am developing a love/hate feeling toward this game. I think at the end I will just consider this game as a big waste of big potential.

danmaku said:
True, but only during exploration. Combat sections run silky smooth on the 360.
No, definitely not, sometime the game is on slow-motion mode (not talking about the witch time eh :D), sometimes the framerate just take a hit.

When I think that people was mocking NG2, Bayonetta is not really much better.

Volcynika said:

No I heard everything he said, and I don't know if it will change his mind, but here's the trend I've noticed. People either come in here praising the game, or saying pass. Of the pass-people, I've noticed that 9 times out of 10 it's a PS3 only owner.

Now I read his statement and he says he doesn't like the game and it has nothing to do with performance. But I'm here to say that when performance is this drastically different, it fucks with you even if you try for it not to. I'm saying this because if I had only been exposed to the PS3 demo, I'd be writing the game off too.

Nothing wrong with giving the game a second chance, playing the version the way the developer intended to be played. This is beyond simple performance discrepancies, like slightly better IQ or higher resolution. We are talking about fundamentally how smooth the game plays. Buttery smooth game control is what makes this game, period.

As far as I'm concerned, it's as bad or worse than Symphony of the Night Saturn/PS1 days. I'm the biggest Sega fanboy on planet earth, and I still consider SOTN a PS1 exclusive. That's how bad the port was. It's really, really hard to enjoy Saturn Symphony and I wouldn't even consider it in the top 10 2d action games on the system, whereas the PS1 is probably at or near #1 and easily better than any Saturn 2d game (and that is saying a shitload).

ezekial45

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
Found my copy at Best Buy.

Beat it today finally. Such an amazing game that just refused to end. Loved it.

Were they out on the racks? I tried calling to see if they were selling them, but they said they weren't. I'm wondering if i should just go and see.

ZAnimus

This is just great - while the rest of the world seems to be getting the game early, the local distributor where I lived moved the release date back to 15 January. I don't suppose anyone knows if the US 360 version will run on a PAL console?

dimb

ezekial45 said:
Were they out on the racks? I tried calling to see if they were selling them, but they said they weren't. I'm wondering if i should just go and see.
Yeah, was just sitting out. I wouldn't go running over there if they tell you it's not just out there.

george_us

Beat this for the second time all way through on the 360 and it's even better the second time around. Now that I've had a chance to truly get accustomed to the game's nuances since importing the PS3 version, I have to conclude that this is without a doubt the best game of 2009 and probably 2010 as well. Uncharted 2 was tied with it but after playing it and Bayonetta for the second time. Bayonetta just gets better with each play through while Uncharted 2 doesn't hold up as well. Someone needs to make Kamiya the creative director at Sega.

Edit: For those who want the game early, the Best Buy on Morse Road in Columbus, OH has it.

:lol I feel sorry for you and your poor reading comprehension skills.

Nice fuck-up there!
Ok so I read it before I wrote the previous post and now I read it again after you posted it. Clearly you are trying to insult me, I am just not sure how. None of that speaks to the quality of the game or how fun it will be, so for the moment I stand by my opinion that it looks mediocre.

Dance In My Blood said:
Yeah, was just sitting out. I wouldn't go running over there if they tell you it's not just out there.

Best buy gots em but won't sell em. Can you put up a picture of the game and your receipt so I can totally print it out and shove it in there faces demanding they sell the game lol! :lol :lol

dimb

mr stroke said:
How many hours to finish the game?
Ten hours forty six minutes. Game puts you right back at the beginning once you beat it on the next difficulty up, and there's loads of incentive to go back and play more.

There's a lot of fights that are just hidden, so I missed out on a number of fights that I just didn't discover in the world. There's loads of collectibles that can take 10-20+ minutes to go and find, so even if I went after a few more of these my playtime would be extended a good bit. The shop is just filled with things to buy that can dramatically change the gameplay, so I'm interested in playing back through it again just to buy all the remaining moves and accessories. I also missed one of the big weapons in the game, so there's definitely good cause to replay the game. There is loads of content here for players, I wouldn't be worried at all about the completion time.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Best buy gots em but won't sell em. Can you put up a picture of the game and your receipt so I can totally print it out and shove it in there faces demanding they sell the game lol! :lol :lol
Don't save receipts on this kind of thing after a day or two, so the best I can do is this:
http://i45.tinypic.com/hupu37.jpg

I'm pissed - best buy today told me "well the game doesn't come out until January 10th and we'll get sued if we sell it early"

lolz

Oh well next week is fine.

danmaku

Zezboob said:
No, definitely not, sometime the game is on slow-motion mode (not talking about the witch time eh :D), sometimes the framerate just take a hit.

When I think that people was mocking NG2, Bayonetta is not really much better.

The slow motion is there on purpose. When you dodge a little bit too early to activate witch time, the game slows down for a moment. The closer you are to the right moment, the bigger the slowdown. I think it's a very neat way to teach you how to dodge properly.
There are frame rate dips indeed, but they can't affect the gameplay in any way. It's barely noticeable.

OP needs more gifs, fuck minimalism.

[IG]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8VX1z72eSbw/SzVanzAd1CI/AAAAAAAAACQ/-KcJJ86LPg8/2nqy8a0.gif[/IMG]
1239889937525.gif

[IG]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_8VX1z72eSbw/SzVaoS5CixI/AAAAAAAAACY/AfJ3jsPmtfg/1239891065554.gif[/IMG]
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8VX1z72eSbw/SzVaovfsvfI/AAAAAAAAACg/5jLrLUm8tU8/1243759945655.gif[/IG]
[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8VX1z72eSbw/SzVf4DFenNI/AAAAAAAAACw/hXLBsJmsrF8/1255068924477.gif[/IM]
[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8VX1z72eSbw/SzVf4Uwg7JI/AAAAAAAAAC0/SjEFy_lZORw/1255158701574.gif[/IG]
[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8VX1z72eSbw/SzVaoQdFtvI/AAAAAAAAACc/qpmeNUR6JrQ/1243558002043.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]
Dat taint!

:lol

Anso

AGAIN FOR EMPHASIS: The soundtrack is sextastic. Was worth every cent importing it, such a sleek package. Gotta applaud the sound team for having every single cutscene music, original SEGA arcade music, trailer music and outtakes on it. I salute you.

TheExodu5

Banned
Arpharmd B said:

I'm really sensitive to framerate. I can tell the difference in between 45 and 60 no problem. The game definitely goes up to 60 at several occasions. I'd say 45fps is close to the average of the PS3 demo in combat.

Arpharmd B said:

And just as well, I know a good combat system when I see one. This is a really fun combat system...like I said it's very Viewtiful Joe'ish. I just absolutely hate the characters and overall visual design of the game. Not saying it doesn't make the game worth getting, but when I have a pretty big backlog, it's reason enough for me to wait. I love a good action game though, especially Kamiya's stuff, so I will definitely be getting it eventually.

Dance In My Blood said:

That's disappointing. I wonder if there's a chance we'll ever see a PC release. I might just have to jump on that if it happened.

Arpharmd B said:
Nothing wrong with giving the game a second chance, playing the version the way the developer intended to be played. This is beyond simple performance discrepancies, like slightly better IQ or higher resolution. We are talking about fundamentally how smooth the game plays. Buttery smooth game control is what makes this game, period.

Again, I've played enough action games so that I can separate combat system from control response. I realize it'll feel a lot better at a full 60fps. However, my problem with the game is not the combat, I already know this is a friggin' bitching combat system, and I absolutely adored VJ/DMC/DMC3.

Top Bottom