• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta Demo Impressions Thread of the Evolution of Action Games

anddo0

So 1UP the 1UP article was accurate? The game is fun and all, but if the 360 is that much better, there is no excuse for that this late into the console cycle.

Maybe this is why they delayed it. But, I'm not buying the gimped version.

*takes Bayonetta off list*

Shito

K' Dash said:
PS3 version will be region locked, so we'll have to wait anyway.
No it most probably won't: stop spreading that Sega misunderstanding.
They said the game "will be region-locked", meaning, as always, 360 locked and can't-do-shit-about-the-PS3 version.
I really don't see why Bayonetta would be the first locked game on the PS3 while it is in Sony's policies that games *can't* be region-locked.

jabipun

AceBandage said:
I loved the PS3 demo.
Can't wait to buy it.
Any game where a giant demon dragon is created from your hair is a must buy.

But But But, the PS3 version sucks dude, didn't you hear - there is no way you could have liked it.

360 version am buy. But it' also good to hear that the problems with the PS3 version are over exaggerated.

anddo0 said:
So 1UP the 1UP article was accurate? The game is fun and all, but if the 360 is that much better, there is no excuse for that this late into the console cycle.

Maybe this is why they delayed it. But, I'm not buying the gimped version.

*takes Bayonetta off list*

Wow, this has to be the most retarded shit I've read. A new IP, from a new, relatively small developer (Platinum Games) releases a demo of a game you enjoy, but because it's "supposedly" not as good as the 360 counter-part, you're "checking it off your list." Really smart of you Mr. vote with your dollar :lol

Miburou

K' Dash said:
PS3 version will be region locked, so we'll have to wait anyway.

I'm pretty sure that has been debunked already. But my PS3 is Japanese, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I love the fact that you can bring a giant heel of hair from the sky to crush enemies with great upbeat music in the background! So much style, so much fun.

jett

D-Member
intheinbetween said:
i think SEGA is responsible for the port.

i don't know what causes made PG lend the PS3 port to SEGA, but it would be interesting to know.

Lack of technical expertise I suppose. I'm also betting they don't even have PS3 devkits. :p I guess I shouldn't be too hard on ol' Kamiya and his fledging, little company, but it still pisses me off that they shunned the PS3 entirely instead of adopting a multi-console strategy with Bayonetta.

I look at the Clock Tower on the 360 demos and I'm wondering just how fucking awful is that going to look on the PS3. The port struggles with a static background with 3-4 enemies...oh man. :/

JudgeN

intheinbetween said:

i don't know what causes made PG lend the PS3 port to SEGA, but it would be interesting to know.

Sega did the port but its pretty obvious PG didn't give shit about making an engine that would work on both platforms. Sega is trying to clean this shit up, but it seems like they aren't going to be given the time. I know alot of people like to blame Sony architecture but if your going to make a multiplatform game you should make it work equally on both platforms because that's your damn job.

jett said:
Lack of technical expertise I suppose. I'm also betting they don't even have PS3 devkits. :p I guess I shouldn't be too hard on ol' Kamiya and his fledging, little company, but it still pisses me off that they shunned the PS3 entirely instead of adopting a multi-console strategy with Bayonetta.

No you should be pissed, why is it that game developers can use the "It was to hard" excuse when they do a piss poor job? I don't get to use that excuse when I fuck up something at my job. If they were going to do multiplatform development they should did that shit right.

methos75

Banned
Even if the PS3 version was region locked, the US and Japan fall into the same BD region so no worries for us NA importers at all.

FrankT

I can't believe how smooth this game runs at 1080p (360 version). Have you guys noticed any tearing on the 360 version? I'm keeping my eye out and again nothing yet.

Personally this sets bar in performance as far as the genre goes on the platform. 60fps, little to no tearing. Time for other developers to step up to the plate.

Anyhow, incredible demo so far.

Miburou

I think it's Sega that insisted on a PS3 port for the game, so they converted it themselves, since PG is probably too small to work on multiplatform games. Ports like this never turn out well, but the PS3 version on its own is still an amazing game, just one with average graphics.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
methos75 said:
Even if the PS3 version was region locked, the US and Japan fall into the same BD region so no worries for us NA importers at all.

I don't think that's related to BD region coding at all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jett said:

it's SEGA's game/IP , so I believe it was SEGA's decision.

think it was the cheapest way for them ( SEGA ) to let Platinum Games work on one version then they port it themselves , you know SEGA will pay them more if PG worked on the two versions at the same time.

anddo0

jabipun said:
Wow, this has to be the most retarded shit I've read. A new IP, from a new, relatively small developer (Platinum Games) releases a demo of a game you enjoy, but because it's "supposedly" not as good as the 360 counter-part, you're "checking it off your list." Really smart of you Mr. vote with your dollar :lol

Guess you don't read much...

Yeah, my dollar. I don't feel like buying a gimped version of a game if I don't have to.. Several people in this thread have claimed there is a huge disparity between the two versions. That's good enough for me. Unless something changes between the demo and full release (Btw- while it fun, there were some glaring issues, ugly to look at being one of them. Didn't think the game would look like the screens, but it did) I doubt I'll get this day one, either price cut, or bargain bin.

FYI- Sega is doing the port, not Platinum Games.

jett

D-Member
Jtyettis said:
Personally this sets bar in performance as far as the genre goes on the platform. 60fps, little to no tearing. Time for other developers to step up to the plate.

Ehhh DMC4 did that over a year ago and with considerably better graphics. :p

Totobeni said:
it's SEGA's game/IP , so I believe it was SEGA's decision.

think it was the cheapest way for them ( SEGA ) to let Platinum Games work on one version then they port it themselves , you know SEGA will pay them more if PG worked on the two versions at the same time.

i'm not sure Bayonetta is owned by SEGA; i think SEGA is just the publisher and PG is the current owner of Bayonetta ip

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jtyettis said:
I can't believe how smooth this game runs at 1080p (360 version). Have you guys noticed any tearing on the 360 version? I'm keeping my eye out and again nothing yet.

Well, that's hardly impressive given what's is being pushed around. Flat lighting, simple textures, no shaders (that I can see), low geometry, zero physics. Hardly impressive.

It goes without saying that 60fps makes any game look awesome anyway.

Blimblim said:
Alirghty, I'm done encoding and uploading my 60 fps video of the Clock Tower Defense. Don't download it unless you have a fast connection though, it weighs almost a GB :D
Stream should look fine and will be done in about 5 minutes.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_bayonetta_demo_videos-8646_en.html

This game is so busy visually that it's a nightmare to encode at a good quality. Since I try not to compromise quality over bitrate, the result is some "slightly" bigger than usual videos :)
I watched the Clock Tower video on my PS3, because my PC couldn't handle it. Nice to see this game running so smooth and looking so sharp on my TV. Looks really, really good and I can imagine why this scene was not included in the PS3 demo.

I'm very mad. D:

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Jtyettis said:

Yeah the 360 version is almost perfect, been playing the demo over and over, moving the camera like hell when there are alot of ennemies on screen, etc. And no tearing, no framerate drops. Just awesome.

The only bad thing is that we have to wait until next year to play this. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeautifulMemory said:
?? Then what would it relate to for the PS3 version?

To what console manufacturer decides.

Previous gen everything was region locked. You couldn't play PS2 Japanese games on an European PS2 system despite DVD region being the very same. You could indeed play JPN DVD movies on PAL systems. Just not the games.

FrankT

TTP said:
Well, that's hardly impressive given what's is being pushed around. Flat lighting, simple textures, no shaders (that I can see), low geometry, zero physics. Hardly impressive.

It goes without saying that 60fps makes any game look awesome anyway.

Again, I never said this was setting the bar graphically. I said performance. As far as IQ on the 360 there is enough going on here that I'm at least pleased with the former as well.

jabipun

intheinbetween said:
anyway, i'm impressed i haven't noticed any screen tearing (360 demo)

that's because you're playing the 360 version.

now go play the ps3 version...

You know, other than Mr. Negative Jett - nobody has come up and said the PS3 version is so technically inferior to the 360 version that it impedes on their enjoyment of the game.

I played the PS3 version first, and other than some screen tearing I wouldn't even notice anything that stands out on being inferior to the 360 version. But then, I played the 360 version...and went back to the PS3 port.

Only then do you see that the 360 version is superior, but not in ways making the PS3 version incapable of bringing out why this game is fuck-awesome.

Anyway, Kamiya said the NA/EU version will have added content (or, his words ' be different ') than the JPN counterpart. So I'll be waiting for this game. Enough games are coming out in October to keep me busy.

I wonder if the Japanese PS3 game is gonna come with many languages because in the demo you can choose Spanish or French, but nothing happend. Why keeping that in the option menu if the JAP game is not gonna be multi language?.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
intheinbetween said:
i'm not sure Bayonetta is owned by SEGA; i think SEGA is just the publisher and PG is the current owner of Bayonetta ip

no , you are wrong , SEGA own Bayonetta IP and copyrights ( and MadWorld too ) , game funded completely by SEGA too.

2v13zpc.jpg

don't tell me you will hate the game now you know it's a SEGA game ? :lol

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
rockman zx said:
I wonder if the Japanese PS3 game is gonna come with many languages because in the demo you can choose Spanish or French, but nothing happend. Why keeping that in the option menu if the JAP game is not gonna be multi language?.

360 version is multi language. In fact it started in french for me because of system settings :lol

But you can change the language in the options just fine.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
intheinbetween said:
anyway, i'm impressed i haven't noticed any screen tearing (360 demo)
There is some at the bottom of the screen. I've only noticed them when I was editing the video though.

Totobeni said:
SEGA own Bayonetta IP and copyrights ( and MadWorld too ) , game funded completely by SEGA too.

2v13zpc.jpg

don't tell me you will hate the game now you know it's a SEGA game ? :lol

no, i won't, in fact i've only tried the 360 version and it's freaking awesome (even at 1080p), so i have no complaints with it.

i just didn't know Bayonetta was a Sega ip

Kandrick said:
360 version is multi language. In fact it started in french for me because of system settings :lol

But you can change the language in the options just fine.

same happened to me, but with spanish language :lol

however PS3 demo seems to be japanese with some english texts

edit: sorry , double post :p

zoukka

My quick impressions:

(good)

-Bayonettas ass
-The combat system is versatile yet easy to use. Though I suck at dodging (why not jump button!)
-Movement is kickass
-I like the story already

(bad)

-Everything else.
[
-Style is a fucking mess. The enemies are bland and don't invoke any feelings in me.
-Thus they are not even that fun to slaughter.
-The technical aspect in the PS3 version is unforgivable. Let me say that again... UNFORGIVABLE.
-Too much effects going on in the fights. Can't really make out what's what with the already messy visuals.
-The lame dragon/whatever finishers. Leave that shit for GoW.
-I like videogamey music, but the tunes playing while I kicked angels were forgettable and simple.
]

All in all probably the best hack & slash game there is, but the PS3 version needs to be put down. Killed if you will. Raped, slashed, burned, shoved to the throats of who ever the fuck made the conversion and then forgotten. Do not buy this version. Do not support the dicks who released this shit.

(if the final version is better, ignore everything I just said).

jabipun

zoukka said:
My quick impressions:

(good)

-Bayonettas ass
-The combat system is versatile yet easy to use. Though I suck at dodging (why not jump button!)
-Movement is kickass
-I like the story already

(bad)

-Everything else.
[
-Style is a fucking mess. The enemies are bland and don't invoke any feelings in me.
-Thus they are not even that fun to slaughter.
-The technical aspect in the PS3 version is unforgivable. Let me say that again... UNFORGIVABLE.
-Too much effects going on in the fights. Can't really make out what's what with the already messy visuals.
-The lame dragon/whatever finishers. Leave that shit for GoW.
-I like videogamey music, but the tunes playing while I kicked angels were forgettable and simple.
]

All in all probably the best hack & slash game there is, but the PS3 version needs to be put down. Killed if you will. Raped, slashed, burned, shoved to the throats of who ever the fuck made the conversion and then forgotten. Do not buy this version. Do not support the dicks who released this shit.

(if the final version is better, ignore everything I just said).

If you bookend your mini-review like that, it pretty much makes you entire 'demo review' come off as biased, and with agenda.

Anyway, go play the 360 version.

intheinbetween said:

Probably because PG is a small team without the manpower needed to work on both platforms internally.

Miburou

If you're a PS3-only owner and don't buy this game because the 360 version looks better, then you're not a really smart person, and it's your loss. Based on the demo the PS3 version still is a great game in its own right.

It's basically a faster DMC with better controls and a hell of a lot more combos. All the delay and hold combos really tie the fighting system together, especially how you can shoot while fighting hand to hand with the guns. I actually wasn't feeling the sword that much, so it's a flip of how dmc worked. It's surprising how much better the game is compared to DMC just from being able to jump and dodge in any direction. The torture attacks I wish were just part of combos, but witch time is much more fun than I thought. Real incentive to dodge aggressively. The set pieces were also taken the extra mile, with the dynamic enviornments in the tutorial level and the beginning of the first boss.

It's a huge improvement over DMC but I don't know if it's a radical change. Jumping off enemies is much much easier now than it ever was in DMC, I was able to win all the battles in the demo without touching the ground. The big guy and the boss were the easiest.

Best gun combo:
Y(hold)Y(hold)Y(hold)B(pause)B(hold)

slaughterking said:
I watched the Clock Tower video on my PS3, because my PC couldn't handle it. Nice to see this game running so smooth and looking so sharp on my TV. Looks really, really good and I can imagine why this scene was not included in the PS3 demo.

I'm very mad. D:
Not only does it run smoother but it also looks much, much better (that "washed out" look is instead very crisp), IMO.

It burrrrns us.

Sectus

Jtyettis said:
Uh, read again. Not on the platform. 360 version dipped to 30 in many instances.
DMC4 managed to maintain 60fps just about the entire game, except for one area (it had 60fps the entire demo for instance). Bayonetta does NOT maintain 60fps all the time in the demo, and who knows if there's other areas in the full game where it'll vary even more.

And even more importantly, DMC4 actually had up to 4xAA, while Bayonetta looks like a jaggy mess all the time. I'm not saying Bayonetta is a bad looking game, but it's a big step down compared to Capcom's work.

USD

A lot of people are saying that it's the evolution of Devil May Cry, but that ignores the legacy of Viewtiful Joe and its impact on Bayonetta's combat system. It's much closer to a full-3D Viewtiful Joe with DMC elements than it is the other way around.

54-46!

Nah, won't be buying this.. I'd feel stupid playing an inferior version, maybe there's still hope for the western release? sure hope they'll fix some of the issues with it.

Otherwise I'll just wait till it becomes dirt cheap or a PC version is released :p

zoukka

jabipun said:
If you bookend your mini-review like that, it pretty much makes you entire 'demo review' come off as biased, and with agenda.

Anyway, go play the 360 version.

Yeah sure I have an agenda. Don't support shit conversions.

And I can't play the win-version of this game. That's why I'm pissed.

And no the visual fidelity isn't a too big of an issue. The framerate is.

Top Bottom