• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta has a mode which caters to the true Ninja Dogs

LaneDS

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Hardcore AND casual. I think it's brilliant. Obviously the majority of us won't play it this way (except for the inevitable achievement or trophy for this mode), but it's awesome that I could watch my casual gaming sister get into the game, and then maybe want to learn the moves later, much like Guitar Hero has inspired people to learn how to play the actual guitar.

Well said. Jokes aside, I think this is a pretty cool option for games like this.

george_us

You know, I could see that being entertaining if the face buttons were used more. Like an on-rails action game.

crowphoenix said:
Now, I want a mode that turns each level into a bad ass rhythm game.
Yeah what he said.

This is even more sad than that Wii autoplay mode. At least than you can view it like a movie, now you still have to tap buttons. Why would any developer waste their time with such a junkyard feature....

Volcynika

1337 said:
This is even more sad than that Wii autoplay mode. At least than you can view it like a movie, now you still have to tap buttons. Why would any developer waste their time with such a junkyard feature....

Well, giving options to players in how they play a game is clearly a travesty of the highest order.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
NIN90 said:
bayonetta_butt.jpg

I can see Russia from here.

Samara

That's cool. Some games like Devil May Cry4 are insanely hard, and gameplay looks the same. I was worried that the game was going to be the same way. So if I get stuck on a boss (or the kids do) at least I know there is a outlet.

The game looks great btw.

I think it's a great idea,
people who are at Ninja Gaiden levels can simply ramp up to HARD MODE.
Normal people can stick to Normal
And lil' sisters who love games but cringe at difficulty can play Extra Easy mode.

there are lots of people out there who love games but are not good at playing them, so having an OPTION is always welcome

everybody wins

This could also be a last resort for people whenever they get stuck to a certain boss for hours and instead of quitting they could just resort to this.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I played a bit of DMC4's "automatic mode" and never went back to the game again after that.

Seriously this is stupid.
no it isn't, you had to option to play NORMAL but you went to AUTO, it's your fault. The options are right there

Haunted

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I played a bit of DMC4's "automatic mode" and never went back to the game again after that.

A person who likes you less than I do would probably argue that this is not stupid and that, in fact, you are the stupid one for letting an option ruin a game for you.

But I am not that person.

Haunted said:
A person who likes you less than I do would probably argue that this is not stupid and that, in fact, you are the stupid one for letting an option ruin a game for you.

But I am not that person.

Oh come off it.

If all you want to do is watch a game play itself why bother buying it in the first place? Somebody will have the entire game on youtube in a week anyway.

It's a stupid option because more or less it gives a solution to every encounter in the game. A boss giving you trouble? Well you could spend many attempts learning their moves, tactics, and behaviors or you could just watch the superplay located on the disc.

It's one thing to look up the answers on the internet but to have it within such easy reach is just ridiculous.

george_us

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh come off it.

If all you want to do is watch a game play itself why bother buying it in the first place? Somebody will have the entire game on youtube in a week anyway.

It's a stupid option because more or less it gives a solution to every encounter in the game. A boss giving you trouble? Well you could spend many attempts learning their moves, tactics, and behaviors or you could just watch the superplay located on the disc.

It's one thing to look up the answers on the internet but to have it within such easy reach is just ridiculous.
So uh...don't select it? I fail to see why people are getting so worked up over it as it doesn't impact other modes what so ever.

Sheperd

Neo Member
I remember trying automatic mode in DMC3 and ended up dying more than I did on Very Hard.

Good news for casual gamers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just saw this, and..

OH.

MY.

GOD.

Gilgamesh

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh come off it.

What's wrong with choice? If you're the kind of gamer who likes to replay something over and over until you get it, it's not like this mode is preventing you from doing so. On other hand, if you're the kind of gamer that only likes to attempt things a couple times before giving up, this mode will allow you to progress further in the game you just spent a good sum on. I really don't see a downside to having this option, as silly as it is to watch.

Alucrid

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:

Automatic mode is terrible anyways. It always screws you over since you have no control over what move comes out.

As far as this "Very Easy Automatic Play" mode is concerned, it's a terrible idea. I can understand making games like this easier for the average player, that's fine, but when you give them a fucking win button like this it makes me question what the hell they're doing. I pay to play a game, not have it play itself for me while I jack off to Sar-Bayonetta. Kamiya and the remnants Clover may have made some of my favorite games, but what is this. Now people will say "Oh, just don't select it" but what I don't get is how the hell people have fun playing a game where they press one button.

Volcynika

So, game offers option that we don't even have to care about or use, so people want to complain about the fact it exists?

I'm just annoyed that the sense of discovery is basically lost. I went a few weeks without internet and had to figure out a few games on my own. It was like "how in the hell did I even do this?" but it was done.

But I guess this gets a free pass because it's optional. Whatever.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm just annoyed that the sense of discovery is basically lost. I went a few weeks without internet and had to figure out a few games on my own. It was like "how in the hell did I even do this?" but it was done.

Faqs are optional, too.

Walkthroughs, strategy guides, easy modes, hints, asking friends, etc.

I'm not sure what this does that those don't?

PepsimanVsJoe said:

yes because optional means that you don't have to use it

EmCeeGramr said:
yes because optional means that you don't have to use it

Which is fine, but they put that mode in there for certain people to use... and in that case I have to ask, why the fuck would an inexperienced/new/casual player want to pay $60 if this is the kind of experience they're going to get? Fuck, this mode is a downgrade from Double Dragon.

ShockingAlberto said:
Faqs are optional, too.

Walkthroughs, strategy guides, easy modes, hints, asking friends, etc.

I'm not sure what this does that those don't?

Aside from the easy mode who's responsible for those other sources you mentioned? Other gamers of course. Sure they can't figure out everything there is to know about a game(hell we're still learning stuff about NES games) but even in more competitive genres like fighters and 2D shooters gamers still work together to learn everything there is to know and do more than just beat the game. The game has to be mastered, broken, mangled, and then tossed back to the developers looking like a twisted pile of scrap.

Now I'm quite sure this very easy playthrough of Bayonetta isn't going to explain everything there is to know about the game but eh..slippery slope. God Forbid developers don't just start tossing optimal playthroughs in future games.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Now I'm quite sure this very easy playthrough of Bayonetta isn't going to explain everything there is to know about the game but eh..slippery slope. God Forbid developers don't just start tossing optimal playthroughs in future games.

They won't toss them in. You'll have to buy them as DLC!

Top Bottom