• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: As the planet warms, melting permafrost may release ancient viruses & bacteria

F!ReW!Re

So basically the premise of the upcoming Phoenix Point;

Phoenix Point is the new strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series. It features turn based tactics and world based strategy in a fight against a terrifying, alien menace.

An unusual virus discovered in melting permafrost excites the scientific community. It has a massive genome, and only 1% of its genes match anything in existing databases.

”What the hell is going on with the other genes?" asks researcher Jean-Michel Moreau. ”This opens a Pandora's box. What kinds of discoveries are going to come from studying the contents?"

The seas transform in something totally alien. Then the mutagens began to invade the land via an airborne microbial mist.

2057 - Present day

The human population has been decimated. Survivors gather in isolated havens spread throughout the world. A few factions control most of the havens and resources, but they have radically contrasting ideologies and guard deep secrets.

Phoenix Project

The Phoenix Project is a worldwide organisation designed to be activated when the world is in peril. You control one cell of the organisation, gathering some of the world's best scientists, engineers and soldiers. After your cell is activated, you realise that you have no contact with any other cells. You need to find out what happened to them.

original.gif

Isn't this one of the major plot points of Phoenix Point?
Beaten.....

kukubrew

There was a show released after the X-Files that explored this sort of thing but I can't remember what it was called.

Millennium? Fringe? Wow I know there was one, and now that you reminded me, I can't recall!

On topic: That is truly terrifying.

Hale-XF11

And you just know the first person to get infected with an ancient virus is going immediately feel a sudden urge to take a commercial flight somewhere.

I̡̩̰̝̱̱̯̅̈́̕͞ņ̠̦̣̦̠̱̎͑̐̍̏͜ ̨̧̻͓̥̼̀͟ȟ̼͉͍͔͕͇ͪȋ̳̯̦̣͕̍ͅs̢̙̺̙̟̘͕̘͗ͤͩ́́ ̪̹̞͐͊̃̽͆̎͡͞h̶͕̻͍͕́̑͜͜o̴̝̱̬̩̪ͪ̓̑͑̉̍̃̕͢ͅu̠̻͔̣̫͈̳͖͌̄̽̎̏͗̎s̡͕̪͇͍̼̣̙̮̠̐̽͛e̵͍̠͗̒̀ͤ͒̒̈̊ ̵͍͂ͫͩ̐a̸͖̜͕̋̊̓̾͝ͅṭ̢̬̫͎̿͌̄̓ͅ ̤͖̪̌̆͞Rͦͨ͌ͫ͏̼͍̮͎̻̀'͚̹͖̮̟͕͂̄͂̈́ͩ̎͢ĺ͓̼̮̘̇͢ỵ͉̫̲͌̓ęͭ̋͆ͫ͏̴̦̥̲ͅẖ̷̸͔̙̟͑̿̆ͮͬ͆̇̋̈ ̴̣̣͙ͩ̔͌͆͟ḓ̷͓̓e̬̟̻̰͙̞̮͆͞a̧̱̘̎̅͒̓̚d̂̃҉̴̙͈̮̣̘̺̗́ ̶̬̦̭̳͛̌̽̌̏̎͘C͙̳ͩͩ̾̿̉̂ͯ̕t̼̱̪̪͉̙̄̇ͤ̐̃̈́̕h͙̝̤̱̳̜̐ͩ̏͠ũ͏̩l̨̯̠̞̩̻̀ͨ̓͌h̖̹̻̲͆̀ͭ̉̈ͤ̏͝ṳ͔̬̠̏͂ͯ̉̀͞ ̡̞͚̪̂̓w̡̺͍̝̩̘̬̙̺͋̏̊̒̌̄̆ͬͭ̕̕ä̴̢̤̠̀̑̓́̐̈́i̽͊̏ͣ͐ͨ̔ͩͫ͢͠͏͕̝̙ț̶̛̲̰̏̓ͤ̃̆ͅs̵̪ͩͧ͜ ̶̷͚̖̯͈ͦ̉͌̔d̵̷̹͕̥̜̓̓̑̆ͦ̇͆̈͞r̡͙̞̝̱̜̳ͯ̊͞è̷͕̲̱̈́̈́a̅̐͛̋̋̏͐̑̄҉͎͕͕̼͓̭̯̩͖͠m̨̮̺ͨ̊͑ͩ̔̆͂͘i̝̹̝̥̬̟̳̽̄ͫ͊͐͑͐͟͠n̲͚̲͐͆ͦ̉͋̽g̨̥͍͉̯̤͈̝͖̋̀ͣ̒̋͘ͅ.̷̢̤̬̹̑ͬ͊̿͐

Well Mr. Freeze tried to use this against Batman but he was thwarted, so I guess we should call Christian Bale or Micheal Keaton. But not Val Kilmer. And definitely not Batnipples Clooney.

Pakoe

Gold Member
Mankind is gonna have a hard time in the future, that's for sure.
This is some scary shit, to be honest.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh cool, those dime-a-dozen survival indie games are finally making their prices worth it!

+ releasing shitfucktons of the methane they're storing, strengthening the greenhouse phenomena even further. Yayz

Humanity will survive. It's that the current geographic conditions will change. New locations on earth will become favorable to live. With a 1m rise in seawater expect WW3 to break out over territory.

Maximus.

We letting a ton of old people decide global warming isn't an issue. They will be long gone before the real issues arise :(

Well this is great news to read before going to bed. Oof!

This is sad because I think climate change denial is only growing. A lot of former friends of mine who probably believed in global warming beforehand are now fervent deniers since being successfully recruited into right-wing causes in general over fear of feminists killing them in their sleep and, even worse, censoring their video games.

I wouldn't say it is, but the people who deny it are just more ignorant & likelier to hold up to their stubborn beliefs.

Slater

Banned
This is sad because I think climate change denial is only growing. A lot of former friends of mine who probably believed in global warming beforehand are now fervent deniers since being successfully recruited into right-wing causes in general over fear of feminists killing them in their sleep and, even worse, censoring their video games.
70 percent of the country believes,it's been a steady increase in belief for a long time and that's not even going into how much more accepted it is in the rest of the world

Famassu

Humanity will survive. It's that the current geographic conditions will change. New locations on earth will become favorable to live. With a 1m rise in seawater expect WW3 to break out over territory.
The problem with that is that even though you'd imagine that to be the case, there's a very real possibility that these "more favorable" places might end up not-really-that-much-more-favorable to offset the worsening conditions elsewhere.

Like, I did a short study some years back about the possible effects of climate change on subarctic regions. At first glance you might think you could make the argument that as temperatures rise, subarctic regions will, say, become better for food production since winters will be shorter and spring/fall longer. And that might be in the short run. In the long run? The geographic location is still the same. Subarctic regions don't have all that much rain on average due to their location and that won't necessarily change even with climate change, if anything precipitation might drop. Add to that that the rising temperatures (directly & indirectly) increases evapotranspiration (and can decrease precipitation), that means that as temperatures rise, subarctic regions could possibly dry up on a very large scale. In previous times of higher-than-current average temperatures, Canada, for example, was so dry that in many regions rivers & lakes dried up significantly/almost completely.

If that turns out to be the case with the current climate change, we can't really rely on such regions to pick up the slack when other regions start failing. AFAIK Canadian waterbodies are already showing signs of drying up.

StoneFox

As scary as this is, we can also look at the perspective of the human race surviving some of these diseases when we had nothing but our natural immune system to fight it thousands of years ago. So if it reaches pandemic levels, I don't think these diseases would fully wipe us out without a serious lack of foresight.

Now, the stuff that is potentially millions of years old? Who knows how our bodies will react to that, we might need to escape into space.

Hermii

Thank god climate change isn't real and those bacterias will never get released.

Famous last words

Top Bottom