• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: As the planet warms, melting permafrost may release ancient viruses & bacteria

Toxi

Banned
most juice is bad for you though.. too much sugar that feeds the growth of harmful bacteria (and cancer) especially in your mouth leading to infected gums and teeth from which the infection can spread fairly easily to other organs like your heart and cause death.
This reminds me, I just learned today there are people who deny the role of bacteria in tooth decay and gum disease.

We are such a goddamn stupid species.

SmEwlmv.jpg

Is there a sci-fi element to this show? I watched a few episodes and it was moving at glacier pace and I just never went back.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I feel like BBC did this exact story years ago.

There was a previous story a couple months ago regarding the anthrax outbreak, but this article covers new recent info. Some of the research referred to in the article hasn't even been published yet.

Markoman

Pick your poison: Kim dancing naked in his missle command center while pressing all buttons or some ancient virus that will turn us into the creatures from "The Thing". I'm old, nevermind.

What I don't get is antibiotic resistance. How would that occur given the bacteria could have never been exposed to antibiotics to even build up a resistance.

Could it be that an antibiotic wasn't made to disable whatver unique characteristics of these ancient bacteria and therefore are not as effective as antibiotics that were developed to attack specific bacteria?

What I don't get is antibiotic resistance. How would that occur given the bacteria could have never been exposed to antibiotics to even build up a resistance.

Could it be that an antibiotic wasn't made to disable whatver unique characteristics of these ancient bacteria and therefore are not as effective as antibiotics that were developed to attack specific bacteria?
We don't know if these ancient bacterias have been exposed or not. And resistance genes can easily transfer over to them as well.

We don't know if these ancient bacterias have been exposed or not. And resistance genes can easily transfer over to them as well.
I'm running on the assumption they're testing samples brought directly from the permafrost if possible. So those particular colonies would not have been otherwise exposed.

But your explanation makes sense for sure.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm running on the assumption they're testing samples brought directly from the permafrost if possible. So those particular colonies would not have been otherwise exposed.

But your explanation makes sense for sure.

There's also the small chance that they were naturally resistant all along.

Top Bottom