• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Atlus recalls arm wrestling arcade game in Japan

Lo-Volt

A Japanese arm wrestling game is being withdrawn from arcades across the country after three players broke their arms, company officials said. Arm Spirit, which is distributed by Atlus, is to be removed from 150 game emporiums as "a precaution". "We think that maybe some players get over-excited and twist their arms in an unnatural way," a spokesman said.

An investigation has been launched into the incidents and the machines are being checked for any malfunctions. "The machine isn't that strong, much less so than a muscular man. Even women should be able to beat it," company spokesman Ayano Sakiyama told AP news agency.

Arm Spirit gamers advance through 10 levels, pitting their strength against a French maid, a drunken martial arts master and a Chihuahua dog before reaching the final challenge - a professional wrestler. It is not available outside Japan. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6957339.stm

[A search for any previous thread on this subject failed because of a fatal error. -Lo-V.]

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I played that game in Saudi Arabia when I was 4 or 5 and I got my ass kicked by it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Lo-Volt said:
"The machine isn't that strong, much less so than a muscular man. Even women should be able to beat it," company spokesman Ayano Sakiyama told AP news agency.
LOL, that'll make the people that got injured feel better.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I hope those guys had their arms broken by the wrestler. I don't think they could live it down if it was the french maid.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
"The machine isn't that strong, much less so than a muscular man. Even women should be able to beat it," company spokesman Ayano Sakiyama told AP news agency.

Needs to be quoted and emphasized for brilliance.

Jackson

malk2.jpg

Memo to Japan: Milk, it does a body good.

Seriously, how weak must you be if a machine that can be beaten by an average woman breaks your arm?

ToxicAdam

Didn't they have a Punch-Out game that was based on arm wrestling? Am I remembering correctly? Because that game is ooold. This must be a newer game.

knee

armc0007.png

Man, we used to gang up on the Arm Champs II machine as kids. It was the only way that we could beat SPECS! :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Lo-Volt said:
An investigation has been launched into the incidents and the machines are being checked for any malfunctions. "The machine isn't that strong, much less so than a muscular man. Even women should be able to beat it," company spokesman Ayano Sakiyama told AP news agency.
:lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Heh. I wonder if this line would make it into the story of a major American paper. Not very PC.

I know, as a corporate spokesman the guy should know better than to single out a specific group of people. Something like "Even women, small children, and the elderly should be able to beat it" would have been a lot more diplomatic but I'm sure at the time he didn't really consider how broadly disseminated the quote would be.

Tenkei

AstroLad said:
I know, as a corporate spokesman the guy should know better than to single out a specific group of people. Something like "Even women, small children, and the elderly should be able to beat it" would have been a lot more diplomatic but I'm sure at the time he didn't really consider how broadly disseminated the quote would be.

Isn't Ayano a name for a woman?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tenkei said:
Isn't Ayano a name for a woman?

Right, that's not so bad then. Like a jewish guy making a jewish joke. Regardless though, PR people should choose their words a bit more carefully.

AstroLad said:

Sexist!

Top Bottom