• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC Frozen Planet - Sir David Attenborough's swansong

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

FrozenPlanetclip1BBCOne.gif

FrozenPlanetclip2BBCOne.gif

FrozenPlanetclip3BBCOne.gif

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ratings - Frozen Planet decimates the competition
Wednesday 26th October Overnights

BBC One

18:00- BBC News at Six: 4.5m (24.4%)
18:30- Regional News and Weather: 5.9m (29.0%)
19:00- The One Show: 4.3m (20.3%)
19:30- Waterloo Road: 3.5m (14.9%)
20:30- The Impressions Show: 2.9m (12.5%)
21:00- Frozen Planet: 6.8m (27.4%)
* peak: 7.6m

22:00- BBC News at Ten: 5.6m (26.9%)
22:25- Regional News and Weather: 3.9m (21.9%)

BBC Two

18:30- Strictly Come Dancing - It Takes Two: 2.2m (10.9%)
19:00- Celebrity Antiques Road Trip: 2.6m (11.6%)
20:00- Great British Food Revival: 2.3m (9.7%)
21:00- Secret Pakistan: 1.1m (4.2%)
22:00- Rab C Nesbitt: 1.5m (7.2%)
22:30- Newsnight: 0.9m (6.4%)
23:20- James May's Man Lab: 0.5m (5.7%)

ITV1 (inc ITV1+1)

06:00- Daybreak: 0.58m (17%)
08:30- Lorraine: 0.9m (15.1%)
09:25- The Jeremy Kyle Show: 1.2m (18.4%)
18:30- ITV News & Weather: 3.4m (16.7%)
19:00- Emmerdale: 7.0m (32.1%)
19:30- Coronation Street: 8.1m (33.1%)
20:00- Midsomer Murders: 5.7m (22.6%)
* 5.5m exc +1
22:00- ITV News at Ten & Weather: 2.1m (9.8%)
22:35- Cops with Cameras: 1.4m (9.8%)

Channel 4 (inc C4+1)

18:30- Hollyoaks: 1.3m (5.9%)
19:00- Channel 4 News: 0.8m (3.4%)
20:00- Kirstie's Handmade Britain: 1.9m (7.2%)
21:00- Grand Designs: 2.7m (9.0%)
* 2.2m exc +1
22:00- Fresh Meat: 1.0m (4.5%)
22:50- Shameless: 0.4m (3.4%)

Channel 5

18:25- OK! TV: 0.3m (1.6%)
19:00- 5 News at 7: 0.2m (0.7%)
19:30- New Highland Emergency: 0.6m (2.8%)
20:00- Dangerous Drivers' School: 1.3m (5.7%)
21:00- Paul Merton's Adventures: 1.0m (3.8%)
22:00- Big Brother: 1.4m (7.9%)

Ratings include HD are full-slot averages

This is line with the previous debut episodes of the flagship BBC Earth series.

Planet Earth - From Pole to Pole - 9.41 million viewers
Life - Challenges of Life - 6.84 million viewers
Human Planet - Oceans, Into the Blue - 5.6 million viewers

CiSTM

Banned
iceatcs said:
Why Can't We All Just Get Along?
4GjuY.jpg

Anyway, can't wait for the Blu-ray release. Planet Earth is still one of my favorite documentaries and it seems this could end up being right up there with it.

Empty

amazing. the scenery shots were outstanding, i particularly liked anything with fierce winds blowing snow across the ice, the beautiful looking field of ice covered trees on the treeline and the shots of underneath the ice. then the animal stuff was cool too, the way the killer wales team up to create big waves to knock the seals off their ice platform is devious as hell and fuck that mean bison.

JoeTheBlow said:
I don't know WTF was going through that Bison's mind when he did that. Trying to help? Or a "we're both at the back, at its you or me buddy, so BOOM! You're lunch." Crazy shit.

Amazing eye-wateringly stunning programme. Twitter went fucking mental with praise afterwards.

I imagine it was more "head down, run like fuck" and in the harshest of way it saves the rest of them and thats pretty much the way of the animal kingdom.

Zeppelin

Just watched the first episode. Mother fucking earth guys... It never ceases to amaze. There's honestly too much awesome in this episode to even begin trying to describe it all. Seriously, if you haven't already, watch it. Now.

Omikaru

Just caught up with this on iPlayer. What a phenomenal show. From the plight of life living near both poles through to the stunning vistas, it was incredible.

I've not seen all of Attenborough's documentaries, but of the ones I've seen, I have a feeling this one will be my favourite.

Asparagus

Fucking hell at the way those Killer Whales kept messing with that Seal until it was so exhausted they could just slowly drag it off the ice to it's doom.

guise said:
Just caught up on iPlayer - my review of the first episode: HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Absolutely fantastic stuff. My only regret was that on iPlayer artifacted up some of the busier scenes (ie the one with the birds while the whales were breaching).

I would say that all of these nature shows with extremely high production values are getting stale and repetitive, but goddamn, every single one is fucking awesome.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Episode 2 - Spring

cqw8a.png

Spring arrives in the polar regions, and the sun appears after an absence of five months; warmth and life return to these magical ice worlds - the greatest seasonal transformation on our planet is underway.

Male Adelie penguins arrive in Antarctica to build their nests - it takes a good property to attract the best mates and the males will stop at nothing to better their rivals! But these early birds face the fiercest storms on the planet.

In the Arctic, a polar bear mother is hunting with her cubs. Inland, the frozen rivers start to break up and billions of tons of ice are swept downstream in the greatest of polar spectacles. This melt-water fertilizes the Arctic Ocean, feeding vast shoals of Arctic cod and narwhal. The influx of freshwater accelerates the breakup of the sea-ice - an area of ice the size of Australia will soon vanish from the Arctic.

On land, a woolly bear caterpillar emerges from the snow having spent the winter frozen solid. Caterpillars normally become moths within months of hatching, but life is so harsh here that the woolly bear takes 14 years to reach adulthood. Once mature it has only days to find a mate before it dies! Alongside the caterpillars white Arctic wolves race to raise their adorable cubs before the cold returns.

In Antarctica vast numbers of seabirds arrive on South Georgia joining the giant albatross and king penguins that have been there all winter. Elephant seals fight furious battles over females on a beach that contains the greatest mass of animals on the planet.

Finally, the female Adelie penguins arrive, chased from the water by killer whales. Mating and chick rearing lie ahead of them
Adelie preview clip

I'm so glad that the BBC release these programs on BD immediately after/during the TV airing. I will ignore any torrents etc. for us non-UK guys and will instead patiently wait with my first viewing to import the Blu-ray set for some motherfucking glorious high-bitrate 1080p/i.

Then I will be sad that it's the last series narrated by Sir David and that I'll will probably have to wait a while for the next epic BBC nature doc. No backlog here, no sir.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
SolidusDave said:
I'm so glad that the BBC release these programs on BD immediately after/during the TV airing. I will ignore any torrents etc. for us non-UK guys and will instead patiently wait with my first viewing to import the Blu-ray set for some motherfucking glorious high-bitrate 1080p/i.

Then I will be sad that it's the last series narrated by Sir David and that I'll will probably have to wait a while for the next epic BBC nature doc. No backlog here, no sir.
'Africa' is the next flagship series scheduled for 2013, but 'Wild Arabia' is what I'm really anticipating. It follows in the recent tradition of documentaries focusing on specific locations a la South Pacific, Yellowstone, Ganges, Wild China, Madagascar and Galapagos.

Edmond Dantès said:
'Africa' is the next flagship series scheduled for 2013, but 'Wild Arabia' is what I'm really anticipating. It follows in the recent tradition of documentaries focusing on specific locations a la South Pacific, Yellowstone, Ganges, Wild China, Madagascar and Galapagos.

Wild Arabia sounds indeed very promising. I actually thought they ended their "Continent"/"Wild" series with South/Wild Pacific, but I won't complain :D

Still need a Wild Europe/NA/Russia from the BBC. Though there is a Wild Russia funded by Animal Planet (etc.) and made by Germans, quite a nice Blu-ray and it fits this hole for now :)

(btw. I think Yellowstone, Galapagos etc. don't "count" to that as they are all about specific habitats, not entire regions)

Zoibie

JoJoShabadoo said:
I can't make a thread so I'll ask here, anyone know some good documentaries about other cities/countries/cultures?

Check out Simon Reeve's travel documentaries. I think BBC has only released the latest one, Tropic of Cancer, on DVD but Tropic of Capricorn and Equator are both really good too.

JoJoShabadoo said:
I can't make a thread so I'll ask here, anyone know some good documentaries about other cities/countries/cultures?
Human Planet is one with a similar... gravitas and style, if you will, to Frozen Planet and Planet Earth.

Did anybody else feel sorry for David Attenborough when he was at the south pole? He's like 80 and it was 40 below and windy and it looked like it must have put a strain on the old guy.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
JoJoShabadoo said:
Michael Palin's travel documentaries are still the benchmark, even if they are slightly dated.

Around the World in Eighty Days,
Pole to Pole,
Full Circle,
Sahara,
Himalayas,
Hemingway Adventures,
New Europe.

All recommended viewing.

Tribe with Bruce Parry is also a very accomplished set of series.

Furret

Banned
JoJoShabadoo said:

It might help if you said where you lived and what seemed 'other' to you.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
krameriffic said:
Human Planet is one with a similar... gravitas and style, if you will, to Frozen Planet and Planet Earth.

Did anybody else feel sorry for David Attenborough when he was at the south pole? He's like 80 and it was 40 below and windy and it looked like it must have put a strain on the old guy.
He's very spriterly for an 84 year old man, he actually really enjoyed it according to interviews he's done.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Episode 2 review
While most of us associate spring with new life, the season is deadly in the Polar regions. This was demonstrated to dramatic effect in the second episode of David Attenborough’s astonishing series on Earth’s vast white wastelands. For polar bears, spring is also a time of feasting. A thick carpet of ice extends out over the sea, providing a platform for the hungry beasts to catch seals for supper. But as frozen waterfalls weaken, whole sections of the dramatic landscape begin to move. “An area of sea ice the size of Australia will vanish from the Arctic Ocean,” noted the sagacious and persuasive tones of Attenborough. And thanks to the series's use of time-lapse photography we witnessed glaciers clattering spectacularly into the sea as they melted in the sun, rapidly unveiling the magnificent Arctic tundra.

As stunning as the scenery is, it was the animals that provided the entertainment. This time it was the tiny Adelie penguins who stole the show in a delightfully funny scene. A chaotic colony of male birds scurried around trying to build nests in anticipation of the female’s arrival. As they competed over gathering precious pebbles, one male was oblivious to the thief who was sneaking pieces from his collection every time he turned his back. Attenborough explained their antics with an amusing aside: “It takes stones of all shapes and sizes to build a decent nest – it isn’t easy, and so some penguins turn to a life of crime.”

There was drama again in a later sequence when a panic-stricken penguin became stranded on a tiny island of ice after leaping out of the sea in terror as a pack of killer whales approached. My cheers rang out loud as the little Pingu frantically found his escape and plopped back into the water. Attenborough was there again with his calm voice to soothe the nerves: “There’s no reason for the penguins to be alarmed. These killer whales are the kind that only eat fish.” Phew!

The familiar sight of animals stalking one another for food has been filmed countless times for nature documentaries, but Frozen Planet is a visual feast giving access to a world beyond the imagination. We witnessed the sheer beauty of wildlife at the remote high latitudes with jaw-dropping images of white wolves savaging migrating birds and devouring arctic hares. Their lone, hungry howls echoed to stirring effect, arousing emotion more so than the accompanying booming soundtrack which, if there’s one criticism of the programme, is slightly overbearing at times.

It’s easy to take for granted the incredible action that fills every frame. One such spectacle saw giant elephant seals throwing their 15 tonnes of blubber around as they fought for a mate, their bones crunching as they slammed to the ground. If the thought of the sub-zero temperatures didn’t take one’s breath away, then the dazzling footage certainly did.
Telegraph

SolidusDave said:
Still need a Wild Europe/NA/Russia from the BBC. Though there is a Wild Russia funded by Animal Planet (etc.) and made by Germans, quite a nice Blu-ray and it fits this hole for now :)

I just watched a show about how all the land blocked off from habitation from chernobyl has turned into crazy wild forests. It was called radioactive wolves or something. Interesting stuff.

Akira

My jaw dropped at the quality of those screencaps. Those aren't still photography right?

Anyone know what kind of cameras they used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom