• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC Frozen Planet - Sir David Attenborough's swansong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ratings - Frozen Planet continues fine form
Wednesday 2nd November Overnights

BBC One

18:00- BBC News at Six 5.2m 25.6%
18:30- Regional News and Weather 6.3m 28.8%
19:00- The One Show 4.6m 20.2%
19:30- Waterloo Road 4.8m 20.3%
20:30- The Impressions Show 3.7m 15.4%
21:00- Frozen Planet 7.9m 31.4%
22:00- BBC News at Ten 5.8m 27.9%
22:25- Regional News and Weather 4.1m 23.5%
22:45- Ask Rhod Gilbert 1.7m 13.8%

BBC Two

18:00- Eggheads 2.2m 11.0%
18:30- Strictly Come Dancing - It Takes Two 2.4m 10.9%
19:00- Celebrity Antiques Road Trip 2.6m 11.3%
20:00- Great British Food Revival 1.9m 7.8%
21:00- Secret Pakistan 1.0m 4.1%
22:00- Rab C Nesbitt 1.4m 6.6%
22:30- Newsnight 0.8m 5.5%

ITV1 (inc ITV1+1)

06:00- Daybreak 0.8m 17.4%
08:30- Lorraine 1.1m 19.8%
09:25- The Jeremy Kyle Show 1.4m 25.2%
18:30- ITV News & Weather 3.6m 15.9%
19:00- Emmerdale 6.6m 28.2%
19:30- UEFA Champions League: Villarreal v Manchester City 3.5m 14.3%
22:00- ITV News at Ten & Weather 1.6m 7.8%
22:35- UEFA Champions League: Extra Time 1.1m 8.6%
23:35- Ladette to Lady 0.4m 5.7%

Channel 4 (inc C4+1)

18:00- The Simpsons 2.1m 9.1%
18:30- Hollyoaks 1.6m 6.6%
19:00- Channel 4 News 0.9m 3.7%
20:00- Kirstie's Handmade Britain 2.1m 7.8%
21:00- Grand Designs 2.9m 10.3%
22:00- Top Boy 1.2m 6.0%

Channel 5

18:00- Home and Away 0.9m 4.5%
18:25- OK! TV 0.3m 1.6%
19:00- 5 News at 7 0.1m 0.6%
19:30- New Highland Emergency 0.8m 3.4%
20:00- Dangerous Drivers' School 1.2m 5.0%
21:00- Paul Merton's Adventures 0.9m 3.5%
22:00- Big Brother 1.1m 6.3%

Primetime Shares

BBC One: 23.3%
ITV1 (inc +1): 14.8%
Channel 4 (inc +1): 8.0%
BBC Two: 7.1%
Channel 5: 4.1%.

Ratings include HD and are full-slot averages

Planet Earth - Episode 2- Mountains - 8.57 million viewers
Life - Episode 2 - Reptiles and Amphibians - 4.93 million viewers

mclem

Edmond Dantès said:
Ratings - Frozen Planet continues fine form

Also, the appreciation index has been released for the first episode. That's a measurement of how much viewers *liked* the programme. To put it in context: It's a score out of 100, from a surveyed sample who all rate the programme out of 10. An AI around 80 is pretty good; drama skews a little higher.

Also, programmes with fewer viewers tend to have higher AIs; the logic being that because it's a niche programme, it's more likely to be hunted down by people already predisposed to liking it.

As I said, an AI around 80 is pretty good. 90 is excellent. The first episode of Frozen Planet? 94. It *may* be the highest AI ever recorded on the terrestrial BBC channels; I haven't yet found a higher one. Getting an AI like that with 8M viewers or so? Incredible.

Akira

Just saw episode 2 (haven't seen episode 1 yet) and I was so amazed at the some of the shots. The orange lighting in the polar bear family scene looked unreal so that when I saw the powdery snow reflecting light I thought it couldn't possibly be unmodified footage. I know BBC does a lot of CGI and clever editing for their time-lapse shots, but not for regular footage. But it looks so good it looks edited to me (in a good way, not that it look fake). The footage of the wolf family in the tundra gave me the same feeling.

voodooray

mclem said:
Also, the appreciation index has been released for the first episode. That's a measurement of how much viewers *liked* the programme. To put it in context: It's a score out of 100, from a surveyed sample who all rate the programme out of 10. An AI around 80 is pretty good; drama skews a little higher.

Also, programmes with fewer viewers tend to have higher AIs; the logic being that because it's a niche programme, it's more likely to be hunted down by people already predisposed to liking it.

As I said, an AI around 80 is pretty good. 90 is excellent. The first episode of Frozen Planet? 94. It *may* be the highest AI ever recorded on the terrestrial BBC channels; I haven't yet found a higher one. Getting an AI like that with 8M viewers or so? Incredible.

For episode 2, it might score 100 for the footage of the penguin thief alone. That had me in stitches!

Empty

kept up the standard. the shots they get are just incredible. the caterpillar going from warmth to frozen to warmth to cocoon to butterfly. or the waterfall breaking through the ice. or the huge seals fighting.

kharma45 said:
I could watch the footage of that penguin stealing stones over and over again, loved it.

couldn't stop laughing at it. so good.

bud

the penguin bit was hilarious, haha. those sea gooseberries looked straight out of a sci-fi film. the sea slug chasing the swimming snail was quite fascinating as well. that whole part was fantastic. and beautiful.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Episode 3 - Summer

0OjY7.png

It is high summer in the polar regions, and the sun never sets. Vast hordes of summer visitors cram a lifetime of drama into one long, magical day; they must feed, fight and rear their young in this brief window of plenty. Summer is a tough time for the polar bear family, as their ice world melts away and the cubs take their first swimming lesson. Some bears save energy by dozing on icy sun beds, while others go egg-collecting in an Arctic tern colony, braving bombardment by sharp beaks.

There are even bigger battles on the tundra; a herd of musk oxen gallop to the rescue as a calf is caught in a life and death struggle with a pair of Arctic wolves. But summer also brings surprises, as a huge colony of 400,000 king penguins cope with an unlikely problem - heat. The adults go surfing, while the woolly-coated chicks take a cooling mud bath. Nearby, a bull fur seal is prepared to fight to the death with a rival. Fur flies as the little pups struggle desperately to keep out of the way of the duelling giants. Further south, a minke whale is hunted amongst the ice floes by a family of killer whales. The dramatic chase lasts over 2 hours and has never been filmed before.

The killers harry the minke whale, taking it in turns to wear it down. Eventually it succumbs to the relentless battering. Finally, comical adelie penguins waddle back to their half a million strong colony like clockwork toys. The fluffy chicks need constant feeding and protection as piratical skuas patrol the skies. When an unguarded chick is snatched, a dramatic "dogfight" ensues.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just as brilliant as the previous two episodes, albeit less flashy. It was more reminiscent of the more traditional documentaries that the Natural History Unit was producing a decade ago, which will certainly please some people. The score wasn't as intrusive as previous episodes.

Orca's really are some of the most versatile predators in the animal kingdom. As for the Adélie penguins, well, I'm not sure that many people had even heard of them before Frozen Planet, but now I'm thinking quite a few people have fallen in love with them.

Roll on Autumn.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Telegraph review.
We need to talk about krill. Krill, you see, are the unsung heroes of the Arctic. As David Attenborough told us tonight, they are “the most important Antarctic creatures of all”. They might look like aliens made out of pink glass, all transparent and goggle-eyed, but without them the frozen parts of our planet wouldn’t exist. And tonight the bizarre little critters were given their moment.

The Arctic summer, the focus of tonight’s episode, isn’t easy for everyone. Krill flourish in the stewy sea, stuffing themselves with algae, but some creatures are in trouble. The endless sun melts away their habitats, crucially changing their hunting opportunities. A polar bear searching for prey on the newly dry tundra runs into a challenge: a band of Red Phalarope birds doing their amusing You Spin Me Round battle dance. They peck at him, drawing blood. He is no Tippi Hedren and trots off.

As well as protecting his family from their dangerously exposed home, the snowy owl father must catch 1,000 lemmings a year to keep his chicks fed. Looking slightly rheumy-eyed, fed-up and scruffy, they are not the sweetest babies of the episode. That prize goes to the wolf cubs, whose howls almost brought a tear to my ear when their father returned empty-handed after a fruitless musk oxen hunt.

However if anything is really to blame for fallen tears tonight it has to be the musical score. Frozen Planet, I love you, but this is getting ridiculous. As our eyes lay on a couple of humpback whales, you’d have thought we were watching the final act of Puccini’s Tosca. And call me churlish but the plinky-plonky piano motif for playful penguins has become a bit tired. Polar bears basking in the sea? Gershwin. Seals fight on the beach? Martial brass.

The ominous brass section was used to full effect during the disturbing killer whale vs minke whale battle. The pointy-headed minke didn’t have a chance against the killers; the male’s dorsal fin is two metres high. Two metres! Anyway, they drowned poor little minke, making sure its blowhole was immersed. Although you would have known that even if you were looking out the window. Cue sad strings.

But the point of Frozen Planet is to be an eyeball massage, to borrow a phrase from the Swiss artist Pipilotti Rist’s recent video exhibition, and this it does perfectly. It’s sensory therapy for the tired, poor, depressed, over-worked Brit. Visual Prozac, if you will. Chicks' mouths like opened snap dragons, icebergs shaped like apple cores, the whoosh of thawed turquoise flumes… these images calmed and wowed. And were more interesting than the footage of penguins and seals we’ve already seen quite a lot of. Bring on the krill.
Telegraph

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Another successful week for Frozen Planet
New You've Been Framed 4.18m (19.4%); 108k (0.5%) ITV1+1
Celebrity Who Wants to Be Millionaire 4.43m (19.1%); 127k (0.5%) ITV1+1
The Jury 4.28m (17.3%); 170k (0.9%) ITV1+1

The Impressions Show 3.16m (13.4%)
Frozen Planet 7.16m (29%)
Ask Rhod Gilbert 1.48m (11.5%)
Film 2011 with Claudia Winkleman 600k (7.3%)

Great British Food Revival 1.72m (8%)
MasterChef: The Professionals 2.67m (11.5%)
Peter Jones: How We Made Our Millions 1.09m (4.4%)
Rab C Nesbitt 1.32m (6.6%)

Kirstie's Homemade Britain 1.66m (7.2%); 180k (0.7%) +1
Grand Designs 2.03m (8.2%); 327k (1.8%) +1
Fresh Meat 820k (4.5%); 126k (1.4%) +1

Lost Heroes of World War I 743k (3.4%)
Dangerous Drivers' School 903k (3.9%)
Big Brother 1.28m (5.2%)
Paul Merton's Adventures 706k (3.9%)

Highest rating programme again.

NinjaBoiX

dejay said:
I've just read the whole thread in David Attenborough's voice.

I won't bother trying to watch it - I'll just get the bluray when it's out.
Me too. No access to HD TV broadcasts, and watching a show like this in SD is sacrilege.

Also, is this honestly Atrenborough's last show? Say it ain't so!

Carbonox

The baby seals. <3 They sounded so odd, like genuine human children. :lol

Killer whales are boss. Love how David was talking about the Minke Whale's best defence being endurance and speed, only for the Killer whales to stay on it for 2 and a half hours before IT got tired and not the KILLERS. Pahaha. Then they drowned the sucker.

Empty

watched the repeat on sunday. the penguins were amazing, especially the one going for spa treatment, and the baby seal looking for its mum warmed my heart. i love this show so much, great to see it notching up strong viewing figures.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Episode 4 - Autumn

Iygmq.png

For the animals in the polar regions, autumn means dramatic battles and epic journeys. Time is running out - the Arctic Ocean is freezing over and the sea ice is advancing at 2.5 miles per day around Antarctica.

Polar bears gather in large numbers on the Arctic coast as they wait for the return of the ice. Soon, tempers fray and violent sparring contests break out. Meanwhile 2,000 beluga whales head for one special estuary, a gigantic 'whale spa' where they will thrash their snow-white bodies against the gravel and exfoliate. Inland, the tundra undergoes a dramatic transformation from green to fiery red. Here, musk ox males slam head-first into each other with the force of a 30mph car crash as they struggle to defend their harems. Frisky young caribou males play a game of 'grandma's footsteps' as they try to steal the boss's female.

Down in Antarctica, Adelie penguin chicks huddle together in creches. When a parent returns from fishing, it leads its twins on a comical steeplechase - sadly there's only enough for one, so the winner gets the meal. Two months later and the chicks are fully feathered apart from downy Mohican hairdos - they're ready to take their first swim - reluctantly though, as it seems penguins are not born with a love of water! And with good reason - a leopard seal explodes from the sea and pulls one from an ice floe, a hunting manoeuvre that has never been filmed before. As winter approaches and everyone has left, the giant emperor penguin arrives and makes an epic trek inland to breed. The mothers soon return to the sea leaving the fathers to hold the eggs and endure the coldest winter on earth.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That was certainly the most beautiful episode so far. Breathtaking landscapes and vistas and the best use of time-lapse we've seen. The Koyaanisqatsi inspired Adelie penguin sequence was excellent. The crystal formation and ocean freezing over were just awe-inspiring. Some comedy relief provided by the skating Caribou's and birds flopping on the ground in an effort to reach the water and of course the clumsy Emperor's. Finally, the Beluga spa was just fantastic viewing.

Roll on winter.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Telegraph review.
Anyone needing a reminder of the difference between the Beeb and its arch commercial rival could have simply flipped between the two channels at 9pm tonight. On BBC One, a peerless portrait of polar wildlife. On ITV1, some less noble frozen creations on the Iceland sponsorship idents dotted throughout I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! Leopard seals or loaded prawn rings? Polar bears or 60-piece kebab platters? I know which I’d rather gaze at and it isn’t the unappetisingly beige finger food.

We reached autumn on Frozen Planet (BBC One) and as the Arctic Ocean began freezing over, polar bears gathered on the coast to await the return of the ice, impatient to be back in their element. Normally loners, they were forced by proximity to be sociable, so play-wrestled in almost a Sumo style. Sadly, they didn’t scoop up a pawful of salt to toss beforehand.

Meanwhile, 2000 beluga whales headed to one particular secluded estuary not to breed but to exfoliate, by thrashing against the gravel in the shallows. The helicopter camera then zoomed out, dizzyingly, until it took in hundreds of these albino beasts, blissfully softening their skin in the warm waters as if at a whale spa.

Two Adelie penguin chicks competed for food, as the ever-sagacious Sir David Attenborough pointed out that only one was likely to survive. I was put in mind of me and my sibling squabbling over the last few oven chips in childhood.

It was hard not to humanise the animals and Attenborough’s voiceover positively encouraged it. The Adelie chicks took their first tentative steps into the water, reminiscent of holidaying Brits edging into the chilly surf while being impatiently told to get their shoulders under. A plump penguin got stuck in a narrow fissure on the ice floe like a fat football fan wedged in a turnstile.

It wasn’t all loveable anthropomorphism. Nature was shown to be brutal. Bull musk ox clashed horns in a shuddering and potentially deadly battle, steam billowing from their flared nostrils. An Arctic fox gobbled up a crash-landed guillemot. A leopard seal leapt ashore to snaffle a straggling penguin. Whale and seal carcasses were stripped by scavengers. Even some ducks swam up for a nibble. The rubber ones in our baths were suddenly cast in a more sinister light.

During an otherwise faultless series, there have been complaints about the soundtrack being too intrusive. There were still plenty of swelling strings to emphasise grandeur and plinky-plonks to accompany lighter moments, but the music didn’t seem quite so overbearing tonight. Perhaps producers have reacted to the criticism.

The polar bears aside, the most spectacular moments came when the Emperor penguins returned, launching themselves out of the sea and belly-flopping onto the ice. In the making-of section at the end, we saw one literally land in a cameraman’s lap. With them weighing up to seven stone, that must have been painful enough. He was lucky it wasn’t beak first.
Source

Decado

Can't wait for the blu-ray!

A little OT...but has anyone seen the BBC Dinosaurs series? Did it turn out well? Hopefully that will come to blu soon, as well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Decado said:
Can't wait for the blu-ray!

A little OT...but has anyone seen the BBC Dinosaurs series? Did it turn out well? Hopefully that will come to blu soon, as well.
It's a very accomplished series, but the general consensus among Dinosaur enthusiasts is that Dinosaur Revolution is far more watchable on repeat viewings. The fact based nature of Planet Dinosaur does get very tedious if you've already seen an episode.

It's already out on Blu-ray here; you could import it as it is region free.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005F3DFXG/

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm a Celebrity decimates Frozen Planet.
Wednesday 16th November OvernightsBBC One06:00- Breakfast: 1.5m (34.5%)18:00- BBC News at Six: 4.7m (24.0%)18:30- Regional News and Weather: 5.9m (27.6%)19:00- The One Show: 4.7m (21.6%)19:30- Waterloo Road: 4.1m (18.0%)20:30- The Impressions Show: 2.6m (10.5%)21:00- Frozen Planet: 5.8m (22.3%)22:00- BBC News at Ten: 4.3m (21.8%)22:25- Regional News and Weather: 3.3m (19.8%)22:35- Who Do You Think You Are? Steve Buscemi: 1.5m (12.1%)23:15- Film 2011 with Claudia Winkleman: 0.7m (8.4%)BBC Two18:00- Eggheads: 2.3m (11.4%)18:30- Strictly Come Dancing - It Takes Two: 2.6m (12.2%)19:00- Great British Food Revival: 1.7m (7.7%)20:00- MasterChef: The Professionals: 3.1m (13.1%)21:00- Pan Am: 2.0m (7.5%)21:45- Pan Am: 1.5m (7.2%)22:00- Newsnight: 0.8m (5.8%)ITV1 (inc ITV1+1)18:30- ITV News & Weather: 3.7m (17.0%)19:00- Emmerdale: 7.3m (32.4%)* exc +1: 7.19m20:00- New You've Been Framed!: 4.4m (18.7%)* exc +1: 4.23m20:30- I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!: 8.5m (32.2%)* exc +1: 8.21m* 21:00-22:00: 8.66m (33.42%)22:00- ITV News at Ten & Weather: 2.6m (13.4%)22:35- Cops with Cameras: 1.5m (12.2%)Channel 4 (inc C4+1)18:00- The Simpsons: 2.3m (9.8%)18:30- Hollyoaks: 1.4m (6.0%)* exc +1: 1.3m19:00- Channel 4 News: 0.9m (3.5%)20:00- Kirstie's Handmade Britain: 1.8m (7.0%)* exc +1: 1.65m21:00- Grand Designs: 2.0m (6.7%)* exc +1: 1.75m22:00- Fresh Meat: 1.0m (5.0%)* exc +1: 0.9m22:55- Alan Carr: Chatty Man: 0.6m (5.4%)Channel 518:00- Home and Away: 0.9m (4.7%)18:25- OK! TV: 0.4m (1.8%)19:00- 5 News at 7: 0.2m (0.9%)19:30- New Highland Emergency: 0.7m (2.9%)20:00- Dangerous Drivers' School: 0.8m (3.5%)21:00- Big Brother: the Winner's Story: 0.3m (1.1%)22:00- Paul Merton's Adventures: 0.6m (3.6%)

Xun

Edmond Dantès said:
That was certainly the most beautiful episode so far. Breathtaking landscapes and vistas and the best use of time-lapse we've seen. The Koyaanisqatsi inspired Adelie penguin sequence was excellent. The crystal formation and ocean freezing over were just awe-inspiring. Some comedy relief provided by the skating Caribou's and birds flopping on the ground in an effort to reach the water and of course the clumsy Emperor's. Finally, the Beluga spa was just fantastic viewing.

Roll on winter.
:(

R.I.P. little bird.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Beam said:
I don´t live in the UK. Do the BBC uploads these videos into their website in about a week or 2?

The episode is on the iplayer almost as soon as it is over. I don't think you can watch it from outside the UK though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Episode 5 - Winter

HNqcc.png

There is no greater test for life than winter, as temperatures plummet to 70 below and winds reach 200kph. Darkness and ice extend across the polar regions and only a few remarkable survivors gamble on remaining.

We join a female polar bear trekking into the Arctic mountains to give birth as the first blizzards arrive. Out on the frozen ocean, the entire world's population of spectacled eider ducks brave the winter in a giant ice hole kept open by ferocious currents. Arctic forests transform into a wonderland of frost and snow - the scene of a desperate and bloody battle between wolf and bison, but also where a remarkable alliance between raven and wolverine is made. Beneath the snow lies a magical world of winter survivors. Here tiny voles dodge the clutches of the great grey owl, but cannot escape the ultimate under-show predator - the least weasel.

Midwinter and a male polar bear wanders alone across the dark, empty icescape. Below the snow, polar bear cubs begin life in an icy den while fantastical auroras light the night skies above. In Antarctica, we join male emperor penguins in their darkest hour, battling to protect precious eggs from fierce polar storms. Weddell seals escape to a hidden world of jewel-coloured corals and alien-looking creatures but frozen devastation follows as sinister ice stalactites reach down with deadly effect.

The sun finally returns, and with it comes the female emperor penguins, sleek and fat, ready to deliver the first meal to their precious chick. Having survived winter, this ultimate ice family now have a head start in raising baby. The Adelies flood back and as the ice edge bustles with life, male emperor penguins can finally return to the sea.

Sinthetic

Those Penguins running and falling were the highlight of Episode 4 for me.

Also, I felt so sad when that bird fell and got taken away. :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Anyone know if the version up for preorder on the Amazon (US) is the proper BBC version with all the episodes and Attenborough narration?
Yes, Discovery have their own version that they're currently working on, with a different narrator and the usual editing that they do with these series. Their version will also have a Blu-ray release shortly after it airs in the US. That is the full unedited BBC version with Attenborough's narration and the behind the scene featurettes on Amazon.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just in awe of the BBC production team's filming and editing skills. This episode was up there with the best and my second favourite.

Really felt for the Bison and the female Wolf, what an epic confrontation between two majestic animals. The ice forest was almost alien in nature; science fact is certainly stranger than science fiction sometimes. The time-lapse sequences featuring the 'brinicles' was astonishing to see, I thought I'd seen it all with the BBC's nature series, but that was a first for me. Then the ice pieces floating up and taking creatures with them...magical.

The aurora's were beautifully filmed and a great use of time-lapse once again. The Emperor penguin scenes provided some cuteness and heartache in equal doses. It was also good to see our old friends, the Adelie's once again.

And kudos to the production team for including Wolverines, which are rarely featured in nature series.

Roll on The Last Frontier (this episode may put people off, as it's more Human Planet than Frozen Planet).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Telegraph review
Episode five, and we were into the polar winter, the harshest environment on earth. More than ever, animals must be mean, fast, or clever. We flipped between the Arctic and Antarctica seamlessly. New-born polar bears suckled in their mother's icy cocoon. There was a marvellous, gruesome kind of Wind-in-the-Willows on Ice, as a weasel harried a vole through frozen tunnels before eating it and using its fur for a duvet.

In the water there were more treats. Sea urchins were trapped by ice like something from a horror film. Weddell seals clucked to each ether. Penguins, ever the series' comedy relief, began flapping themselves back onto land. Given enough footage of penguins launching themselves from the sea, I think most viewers could pass an Antarctic winter without too much trouble.

Tonight's highlight, however, was the thrilling chase, as wolves brought down a bison in a pursuit through a snowbound forest. Even in the heat of the moment, it was clear that this scene, in which a ground camera alternated with a perfectly-positioned aerial shot, was something special. The "how they did it" passage at the end only showed what we knew already - that it was a mixture of great skill, dedication, and a bit of luck - without bringing me any closer to a true understanding. To paraphrase Arthur C Clarke, any sufficiently advanced television is indistinguishable from magic.

The problem with Frozen Planet, from a reviewer's point of view, is how to judge it. In contrast to a couple of other episodes in the series (with a particular nod to the brawling elephant seals), I didn't find tonight's instalment, overall, quite as compelling. Compared to most other things on television, however, Frozen Planet is not so much playing a different game as being run off different, better, more advanced hardware. Brand Attenborough has become a byword for consistent excellence like nothing else I can think of. Even HBO has had its duds. Through Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Nature's Great Events and Life, the men and women behind these documentaries pull rabbits from hats over and over again, in HD and from several different angles. It could make you proud to be British, if you weren't too busy being astonished to live on Earth.
Telgraph

Kyaw

The wolf-bison fight was quite saddening to see but that's nature.

I can't wait for The Last Frontier episode.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Frozen Planet recovers in the ratings
BBC1

Breakfast 1.6m 36.5%
BBC News at Six 4.9m 25.5%
Regional News and Weather 5.8m 27.8%
The One Show 5.3m 25.0%
EastEnders 8.1m 35.6%
That's Britain! 4.0m 17.1%
Frozen Planet 6.6m 27.2%
BBC News at Ten 4.6m 23.3%
Regional News and Weather / The National Lottery Wednesday Night Draws 3.5m 20.5%
Who Do You Think You Are? Ashley Judd 1.7m 13.7%
Film 2011 0.7m 8.4%

BBC2

Strictly Come Dancing - It Takes Two 2.7m 12.8%
Heir Hunters 1.7m 7.7%
MasterChef: The Professionals 3.0m 12.9%
Your Money and How They Spend It 1.4m 5.9%
Life's Too Short 1.1m 5.8%
Newsnight 0.7m 5.2%
Ian Hislop: When Bankers Were Good 0.4m 5.4%

ITV (inc ITV+1)

Daybreak 0.7m 18.2%