• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC Frozen Planet - Sir David Attenborough's swansong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

Oh it's Zoibie!

okay-meme5d3mj.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, I want to buy this on blu-ray, but I want the David Attenborough version, not the soon to be released American version with a different narrator. I see a link for the US version on Amazon that isn't out yet, but this link seems to be active and available:

Amazon Link

Is this the UK version of the discs? It says it is all regions. Will the UK version even play on a normal Panasonic blu-ray player?

Babalu.

love all these documentarys but was wondering if there is anything on this level (planet/frozen earth) for space and the universe?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
love all these documentarys but was wondering if there is anything on this level (planet/frozen earth) for space and the universe?

There is actually a bunch of stuff on Netflix. It's a bit tabloid but The Universe and How The Universe works, are both awesome. The latter has pretty cool CG of cosmic events like gamma ray busters, planets hitting other planets, supernovae and so on.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Okay, I want to buy this on blu-ray, but I want the David Attenborough version, not the soon to be released American version with a different narrator. I see a link for the US version on Amazon that isn't out yet, but this link seems to be active and available:

Amazon Link

Is this the UK version of the discs? It says it is all regions. Will the UK version even play on a normal Panasonic blu-ray player?
It is the UK version as it says BBC Earth on the packaging.

In terms of compatibility, the post below from the Blu-ray forum suggests that you will not be able to play the Blu-ray on any of these Panasonic players because of the known 50hz compatibility issue. So, make sure your player is compatible before buying.

According to firmwareinfo dot com all current North American Panasonic Blu-ray devices have been "software-restricted" to NTSC-only playback.

According to the enhanced firmware feature lists, the following devices have been restricted in this way:

DMP-B500, DMP-BD35, DMP-BD55, DMP-BD65, DMP-BD85, DMP-BD655, DMP-BDT100, DMP-BDT105, DMP-BDT107, DMP-BDT300, DMP-BDT350, DMP-BDT110, DMP-BDT111, DMP-BDT115, DMP-BDT210, DMP-BDT215, DMP-BDT310

This restriction can be removed by installing enhanced firmware but none of these devices will play PAL (50Hz) content with stock firmware.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pl...-us-blu-ray-players-50hz-compatibility-9.html

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
US release date confirmed for April 17, 2012.

Discovery Frozen Planet will be starting soon as well, keep an eye out for the new thread.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Discovery Frozen Planet to air on March 18.
Frozen Planet, the cabler's follow-up to Planet Earth. Alec Baldwin will narrate the series, which will bow Sunday, March 18 from 8-10 p.m., with hour-long episodes set to begin the following Sundays at 8-9 p.m.
Source

US boxset cover:

ibwlcVIWlMX9xT.jpg

Pachimari

Is this the same version as the American one? It has David as the narrator and the name is also "Frozen Planet" but it says BBC Earth and not BBC One on the box. =/

6BcgQl.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is this the same version as the American one? It has David as the narrator and the name is also "Frozen Planet" but it says BBC Earth and not BBC One on the box. =/

6BcgQl.jpg
Same one. As long as it says BBC Earth on the box and no mention of Discovery, then it's the original version that aired in the UK last year.

Leeness

Ordered this and I have no idea which version I'm getting haha. It's from Best Buy. The picture of the cover does say BBC Earth, no mention of Discovery, but also doesn't say David Attenborough anywhere. Guess I'll see when it gets here! I watched it on Discovery so it's not like I'll hate it if it's that one, but I'd like David more.

Mengy

Edmond Dantès;35240379 said:
US boxset cover:

ibwlcVIWlMX9xT.jpg

Just to confirm, this is the US version, correct? It wll play on US blu-ray players, but it has David narrating and NOT Alec Baldwin. Correct?

Mengy

Edmond Dantès;37097265 said:

Well then, why even make a US version with Alec narrating if the original is available in the US too? Why not just keep David for the US version? What's the point of creating the confusion of all these different versions?

Thanks though, ordering this (with David narrating) right freaking now!!!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well then, why even make a US version with Alec narrating if the original is available in the US too? Why not just keep David for the US version? What's the point of creating the confusion of all these different versions?

Thanks though, ordering this (with David narrating) right freaking now!!!
Discovery wanted their own version for the US market as it appeals to US audiences more, at least in their opinion. It's their vision of Frozen Planet using the footage captured by the BBC's Natural History Unit and edited for US TV with a narrator of their choice.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They've been doing it for years with the Attenborough series. Nobody really knows why. I guess studio execs don't think Americans will listen to a British person for an hour.

Worth noting that the local Best Buy they only had Attenborough narrated copies of the show. I didn't see a single Alec Baldwin one, so either they didn't order any...or they were all sold out. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom