• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC iPlayer heads to Xbox Live next week [Up: Live today]

mocoworm

UPDATE: Live today.
BBC iPlayer on Xbox goes live today

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-20-bbc-iplayer-on-xbox-goes-live-today

"The BBC iPlayer launches on Xbox today, meaning you'll be able to watch the likes of Doctor Who, Top Gear and Eastenders on the Microsoft made console.

The application will roll out throughout the course of the day. It is expected to be available for all UK users by the end of Tuesday, 20th March.

Microsoft demoed the new app to press at a media briefing in London yesterday, showing how the standard iPlayer interface has been built with Microsoft's Metro userinterface design and Kinect integration in mind. Screenshots of the app are below.

If you have Kinect, you can navigate the iPlayer by waving your hand about or by using your voice. The app outputs in high definition, too, which you can enable from within iPlayer.
In keeping with the BBC's role as a public service broadcaster, the iPlayer is free to all Xbox 360 users - Gold and Free (formerly Silver). The BBC is the only UK content provider to make its programmes free to all 360 users in the UK.

The iPlayer is now on all three major home consoles: the PlayStation 3, the Wii and the Xbox 360. On Xbox it joins Sky, Channel 4, Channel 5, Netflix, Lovefilm, Blinkbox, MSN and YouTube, among other non-gaming apps.

Its release on Xbox also means all of the apps mentioned in Microsoft's September 2011 announcement have launched. But what took so long?

"It's been well documented that the BBC, due to the unique way in which we're funded, have to make their services available wherever BBC iPlayer is for free," head of BBC iPlayer Dave Price told Eurogamer.

"It's been well documented that that's what we'd have to do as well for all Xbox audiences in the UK. So we were delighted to agree terms back in the summer and then announce in October to say we would be launching in early 2012 and here we are hitting that deadline as we said.

"Microsoft fully understood in order to make the service available, it had to be available to all Xbox users. That was something that was very much clear, and it's great Microsoft supported us to ensure we are available to all the millions of Xbox users."

Since the December 2011 Xbox 360 dashboard refresh, which introduced the Metro UI and Kinect functionality, Microsoft has seen a three-fold increase in TV and video consumption.
This, Xbox Live product manager Pav Bhardwaj told Eurogamer, hasn't come at the expense of gaming on the console.

"We haven't seen the amount of time being spent on multiplayer gaming, or Arcade games or DLC, being reduced at all," he said.

"We're seeing more people spending more time on the Xbox Live platform. The people who are using the platform to enjoy multiplayer gaming, like Call of Duty and Gears of War and Halo, they're still doing that at the same amount of time they were spending previously. What they're now doing is spending even more time watching TV, movies and sport, via their Xbox 360."

This increase, Bhardwaj said, reflects "how we all live our lives today".

"We're working god knows how many hours. You never get the chance to get home and watch the entertainment you want to watch when you want to watch it. So having the ability to watch on demand shows, TV, movies, sports, when you want to watch it, it makes the whole entertainment experience fit around you, rather than the other way around."

Backing this up, Bhardwaj said 42 per cent of Gold members watch an average of an hour of TV and movie content a day on the console. That's a global figure for Gold subscribers, but it's "reflective" of the UK market.

"We will continue to see a growth in that number in terms of how people are enjoying their entertainment on the Xbox Live platform," he continued. "It's great to see gaming and TV entertainment content isn't cannibalising one another. Actually, we're just growing the amount of time people are spending on the platform. We will see that grow. That's quite reflective of the overall market in terms of how people are now consuming content on their mobiles, tablets and the Xbox Live platform."

With its announced Xbox 360 apps all launched, what of the future? Over the next 12 months Microsoft will announce and release new apps for Xbox 360, Bhardwaj promised.
"There will be new applications coming down the line. We've got a pipeline of new stuff that's going to be available. Can't share any of it unfortunately. But there are some exciting applications and entertainment experiences that are coming.""

-----

BBC iPlayer heads to Xbox Live next week

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-bbc-iplayer-heads-to-xbox-live-next-week

"The BBC iPlayer launches on Xbox Live next week, Eurogamer understands.

The BBC iPlayer catch-up service app will be available to download from Xbox Live after both companies sorted out the thorny issue of charging for the service.

Apps announced by Microsoft as part of its late 2011 Xbox 360 revamp included a mention of the BBC iPlayer, but Microsoft's premium Xbox Live Gold subscription service proved a stumbling block.

Now, though, everyone's happy, and the license-fee funded iPlayer will be offered for free to Silver and Gold subscribers.

Xbox currently has 4oD and Channel 5 on Demand apps. The ITV Player launches before the end of the year.

Microsoft told Eurogamer it "does not comment on rumour and speculation"."

mocoworm

You just gonna toss that out there with no explanation?

What happened to BBCs plans for a US iPlayer service?

It's against UK law to make ppl pay for the BBC service as it is already paid for by everyone via their TV License fee and their taxes with it being a public service.

MS wanted it to be available to only GOLD subscribers therefore making everyone pay again.

Suairyu

Banned
Sorry, it was the very core of the issue so I assumed people would know.

Basically, Microsoft wanted the iPlayer to be available for Gold subscribers only. Given that the BBC is a publicly funded organisation, it is illegal for them to charge for content. So Microsoft demanding that the iPlayer was for Gold subscribers only it was demanding that the BBC break the law and setup a pay-wall around its content.

That it has taken so long for this to be resolved is nothing but stupidity on Microsoft's part.

mil6es

What happened to BBCs plans for a US iPlayer service?

explanation is the BBC already charge the uk for their services through TV licence, so they cannot then charge again through a paid service provider.

EDIT: Beaten

Gowans

Finaly, last one they needed.

The Beeb have a great eye for UX, I look forward to seeing the Xbox version.

JonCha

Finally. I never use iPlayer on my laptop because I hate watching stuff on a laptop, or any smaller screen like it.

SmokyDave

Good on MS for backing down.

explanation is the BBC already charge the uk for their services through TV licence, so they cannot then charge again through a paid service provider.

EDIT: Beaten

Doesn't stop 'em charging us for DVD sets though, does it?

I've always found that strange. I ought to be paying for postage, packaging and the cost of a blank disc when I buy a BBC DVD.

I've always found that strange. I ought to be paying for postage, packaging and the cost of a blank disc when I buy a BBC DVD.

Because Iplayer is a catch up service - not for buying old content.
Also if you notice some BBC DVD's are advertised on BBC One. Often these are profit free (Waking the Dead jumps to mind).

For BBC to send you all their old content for free they'd be putting the License Fee up massively every year to include this years round of DVD's. So its understood as not part of their service.

Suairyu

Banned

Well, no. Our license fee pays for the right to see BBC content as it is broadcast.

As the iPlayer is considered a broadcast "catch up" service, it still falls under the purview of broadcast content.

While I agree the ideal scenario would be also having that content on DVD at a minimal manufacturing and administrative cost as well, the license fee laws were written at a time before home video media even existed.

Nowadays, the BBC makes so much more extra money through their media sales as well that the only way you could translate that media to being covered by the license fee would be the sharply increase the cost of the license fee.

SmokyDave

Thanks for the (frustratingly reasonable) explanation chaps. I have a downer on the BBC as they refuse to release 'Care' in any format or re-broadcast it.

Suairyu

Banned
If you own a TV , whether you even plug it in or not ... you need a TV license.

It's like any other license you can think of.
Incorrect. It's only if you're watching TV broadcast.

Some people buy TVs and use them only for home media or as a PC monitor. These people do not have to pay the license fee.

The TV License website provides information on what you should do to declare your TV as for this purpose only. It won't stop them harassing the fuck out of you with letters written in the style of a playground bully, though.

mocoworm

Incorrect. It's only if you're watching TV broadcast.

Some people buy TVs and use them only for home media or as a PC monitor. These people do not have to pay the license fee.

The TV License website provides information on what you should do to declare your TV as for this purpose only. It won't stop them harassing the fuck out of you with letters written in the style of a playground bully, though.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder. It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence."

Still not totally clear.

Suairyu

Banned
Nope! http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence You're okay as long as you're not streaming live.
Well consider me corrected.

That is surprising. cjelly, I won't think you a right cunt anymore.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence."
Uh-huh. So as it says right there, you only need it if you're watching live TV. If you're using your TV only to watch home media, you don't need one.

It is written in a way to confuse and scare you though, I agree. TV License people are like that. "OH HEY CHIEF NICE MOBILE PHONE BTW YOU
might
OWE US THE LICENSE FEE NOW!!!!"

Linkified

To damn true, also the quality of BBC programming has been on a steady decline for the last 5 years. The best two mildly entertaining programs Hustle and Hotel Babylon they cancelled for production of shitty period dramas and nature programs

Suairyu

Banned
also the quality of BBC programming has been on a steady decline for the last 5 years.
You are insane. They've been actively pushing to increase their output of "original British dramas" over the last couple of years. We've seen some absolutely stunning BBC-funded programming lately.

Linkified

You are insane. They've been actively pushing to increase their output of "original British dramas" over the last couple of years. We've seen some absolutely stunning BBC-funded programming lately.

We have MORE shitty period dramas, cancelled Spooks, Hustle, Hotel Babylon and they have said there are a couple more that they are willing to cancel.

And I would be willing to know what great shows have started in say the last 2 years.

you do NOT need a tv license for iplayer, only for watching live tv, which i doubt will be in the xbox app

If you don't need a license for it, then why couldn't they put it behind the Gold wall? I thought the entire reasoning is that people are already paying a license to watch it.

acm2000

my tv pretty much stays on channel 4 tbh, bar sport on bbc/itv, and the odd show like top gear

who am i kidding, my tv stays on vga (xbox), but my freesat hd box stays on 126! (ch4hd)

If you don't need a license for it, then why couldn't they put it behind the Gold wall? I thought the entire reasoning is that people are already paying a license to watch it.

they could, but bbc didnt want them too, unless the app has live tv (which i doubt), afaik, the stumbling blocks have been a) ms wanted it gold only, bbc didnt, b) bbc wanted their own ui, ms wanted it to match the rest of the apps

Because the license funds it, but because it is regarded as recorded material under the strict terms of that license you don't technically need a license to watch it. It is still under the public service remit and bound to the terms of the charter though. Basically the charter has not been updated since iPlayer launched so it is in a grey area.

The plan is to reword the charter in the nearish future to close the loophole.

(Edit for clarification)

iPlayer is run by the BBC. The BBC is bound by the charter. The only part of the BBC that can charge a fee for content (DVDs, Lovefilm/Netflix streaming, Foreign sales) is BBC Worldwide, which is a separate company.

I've never paid for a tv license and don't intend to start.

That said I never watch television anyway and my t.v is for gaming and media purposes only.

My new girlfriend always wants to to watch eastenders when she is here and has to view it on the iplayer, which I then stream to the television.

With this I can cut out the middle man.

Suairyu

Banned
And I would be willing to know what great shows have started in say the last 2 years.
The Shadow Line*
Sherlock*
The Crimson Petal and The White
Exile*
The Night Watch
Page Eight
Case Histories
Luther*

* = especially recommended by me, though every single entry on the list is quality

And I'm missing a load, I'm sure. I can't remember all the names of the things I've seen.

There has never been a better time for original British programming on the BBC. We're in a renaissance right now.

Wiseblade

To damn true, also the quality of BBC programming has been on a steady decline for the last 5 years. The best two mildly entertaining programs Hustle and Hotel Babylon they cancelled for production of shitty period dramas and nature programs

Hustle hadn't been good since the second series ended. Hotel Babylon was never good.

And Suairyu, people using catch-up services don't need a TV licence, apparently.

tvlicensing.co.uk said:
If you don’t watch or record television programmes, or you only stream TV programmes online after they’ve been broadcast – through on-demand services like YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4oD – you don’t need to be covered by a TV Licence.

Although if you watch live TV through services like iPlayer/4oD/ITV Player, then you do need a TV license.

EDIT: beaten maliciously.

mocoworm

There has never been a better time for original British programming on the BBC. We're in a renaissance right now.

I don't really watch the dramas, although Sherlock was good.

For me it's all about BBC4 - Science documentaries (Physics Docs, Horizon, Nature Docs etc), Music documentaries and other factual content. I also watch the F1 in HD catch-up and other political programming like Question Time , Newsnight etc.

The BBC has THE best science/documentary/factual programming in the World.

This has been on PS3 for a while, right?

*Slowly puts on flame protection suit*

Ewwww, the PS3 "version" (browser based) is just terrible. I actually go through the trouble of moving my laptop and connecting it to the TV instead of using my PS3 because of its poor implementation. Hopefully this 360 version is good. I miss having my desktop close enough to my TV :(

Suairyu

Banned
I don't really watch the dramas, although Sherlock was good.

For me it's all about BBC4 - Science documentaries (Physics Docs, Horizon, Nature Docs etc), Music documentaries and other factual content. I also watch the F1 in HD catch-up and other political programming like Question Time , Newsnight etc.

The BBC has THE best science/documentary/factual programming in the World.
Oh, no doubt, but their factual stuff has always been world-class. It's a given. It's just dramas that have been so hit and miss across the decades, but now those two are becoming such a high caliber. It's great.

lol, you Brits are so testy.
It's because the BBC is the one thing we can point to and say "yeah, that makes you proud to be British". It's a world leader in television. It puts to shame nearly every other studio/broadcast service in existence, and those it doesn't outright shame it manages to better. Because it's publicly funded, it doesn't have to go "what would be the most popular thing to do?" but instead "what make the best show?" If it thinks an hour long documentary about a topic only ten people would be interested in makes for a good piece of television, it'll do it.

In terms of dramas, I think its only US equivalent quality-wise is HBO, but even that has to cram gratuitous sex into most episodes to draw in subscribers.

We get very protective of it as a result.

Isn't the PS3 iPlayer a dedicated app now? It's not a great interface but it's much better than the old actual browser (as in you had to use the awful PS3 web browser to access it) based version.

Top Bottom