• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC poll: Germany is the best country in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicerone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7324337.stm
_44530223_count_views_226gr.gif

No Canada this year.

thats what happens when you push the reset button and bulldoze a country... TWICE.

Also, FYI, Germany is IN the EU, so it takes tw positions.
Überalles Totalles

zon

Absinthe said:
At least we beat North Korea!

I've never been to Germany, but I heard it's a pretty great place. Well, in certain parts.

The east part is still full of abandonded houses (in the countryside) and the smaller towns look like shit. At least they did when me and my classmates traveled through the area down toward spain, the bus we were in drove through smaller roads to try and evade as much traffic as possible. It was a nice experience and more fun than simply driving on the Autobahn. This was 4 years ago I think, so it might have gotten better.

Kabouter

zon said:
The east part is still full of abandonded houses (in the countryside) and the smaller towns look like shit. At least they did when me and my classmates traveled through the area down toward spain, the bus we were in drove through smaller roads to try and evade as much traffic as possible. It was a nice experience and more fun than simply driving on the Autobahn. This was 4 years ago I think, so it might have gotten better.
It's getting better, but Eastern Germany still has a long way to go until it's caught up to Western Germany.

tnw

Banned
Japan is tied for first!

I would question if they have a positive influence though. Damn anime >:/

zon said:

Did you guys happen to go to Berlin?

zon

Absinthe said:
Did you guys happen to go to Berlin?

Nope, we never did. I've been in Berlin as a kid with my family though, but that was over 10 years ago so I only remember that I saw some parts of the Berlin Wall that was still standing.

Kenka said:
Germany is indeed a good country but I don't get what this chart is all about... -_-

They ask people which country is the nicest on the world stage based on their actions and in Germany's case, based on their inactions.

Kabouter

The-Switcher said:
For gamers however, it's dead-fucking-last.
Because they banned a couple of violent games? Boohoo.
Germany also gets quite a few games earlier than the rest of the world, and gets games noone else gets.

akachan ningen said:
What are you babbling about? Are you implying that gamers think it's still 1945?
They like to ban video games.
Kabouter said:
Because they banned a couple of violent games? Boohoo.
Germany also gets quite a few games earlier than the rest of the world, and gets games noone else gets.
Its a bit more than that. If the legislation they've proposed were to go through then the vast majority of 'violent games' would be banned.

guidop

lol People, I didn't properly read the link

BBC said:
Attitudes to the United States are improving, an opinion poll carried out for the BBC World Service suggests.

The pole is actually about which counties feel that the United States is a positive force in the world

I make lies about the pole

Edited for accuracy

klausbert

Although Germany is the best country in the world, we still can get better
by importing the Netherlands' drug laws

Ogni-XR21

guidop said:
lol People read the link

The pole is actually about which counties feel that the United States is a positive force in the world

Did you read the link?

The article focuses on how the survey turned out for the US, how it has improved for the first time since these surveys started in 05. Germany still is the country that is viewed the most positive by other citizens of this world.

But I don't know how serious to take this, since only these 14 countries have been on the list to rate (and Germany was on that list for the first time ever).

Riskbreaker23 said:
how in the hell is China a more postive influence in the world than the US.

They may run over their people with tanks, but they 'relatively' leave other countries alone, certainly compared to Russia and the USA.

P.S. I don't get why India is so low.

Kabouter

Instigator said:
They may run over their people with tanks, but they 'relatively' leave other countries alone, certainly compared to Russia and the USA.
Not to mention, cheap products from the PRC are also a positive influence :p.

jey_16

Banned
why is China so high?....seems like people are blinded by their economic growth

but i agree with Germany and Japan....at the moment, they seem to be the best

segasonic

Germany is great except for three things.

the weather sucks (you can fly to Mallorca for cheap though :) )
the taxes are absurdly high
the Swabians and Saxons are assholes ;) --> Rhineland ftw!!

cjdunn

I was there 2 years ago. Berlin was nice. It was packed to the gills with tourists and heavy street construction, but that's because it was 2 months before a little thing called the World Cup.

I'll say this, their radio and television is complete shit. A lot of American shit too. TV reruns and musicians that don't make the cut in the US market.

In their favor: transportation and energy policy. They do light rail right. Most farms had big wind turbines.

Right down there with Iran and North Korea, alright! Way to go Bush administration, you've somehow managed to get the US into the ultra exclusive Axis of Evil club.

Addendum: Of course I'm being sarcastic. This poll is just another example of how fickle and uninformed general public opinion is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom