• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC stars' pay has been revealed in annual report.

Zaph

In fairness, the other half of that co-production was HBO, so they basically took what they had been comfortable with for a historical setting and transplanted that to a fantasy one.

That's the point of what I said? At the time Rome was a massive risk and probably wouldn't have existed without BBC's co-funding. The industry was able to cut its teeth and now $60M+ shows under a single studio are commonplace.

tomtom94

Mayo making bank but no Kermode, poor dude.

Most of these are lower than I would expect to be honest.

To be fair Mayo also does the Radio 2 drivetime.

And I doubt Mark minds too much, given his political leanings and his other jobs (e.g. chief film critic for the Observer)

kromeo

Gilles Peterson

image.php

I'm seeing some evidence that your musical taste might be quite good

That's the point of what I said? At the time Rome was a massive risk and probably wouldn't have existed without BBC's co-funding. The industry was able to cut its teeth and now $60M+ shows under a single studio are commonplace.

Well, my point was that it wasn't exactly impact on the wider industry as a whole so much as adjusting what the other party involved in the project was comfortable with, so the line to GoT isn't quite the same as it would be for everyone else.

King_Moc

Banned
/currently looking for work at the Beeb.

Surprised over some of the radio salaries, especially the 6Music crowd.

I'm actually really happy for the 6music people. It's good that people pushing alternative music are being paid well imo. They're actually required to know their shit as well, unlike a lot of the radio 1 & 2 DJ's. Chris Evans is still trying to push Texas ffs!

Radcliffe does a Radio 2 folk show plus Glasto, perhaps Maconie is on a paltry £140k...

Yes, Radcliffe does more jobs than Maconie, so it only makes sense.

Xun

Ridiculous salaries, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Their salaries need to come down drastically across the board.

Also is anyone listening to Radio 2? It's funny hearing Jeremy Vine comment on this live on air whilst being berated by callers...

I'm actually really happy for the 6music people. It's good that people pushing alternative music are being paid well imo. They're actually required to know their shit as well, unlike a lot of the radio 1 & 2 DJ's. Chris Evans is still trying to push Texas ffs!

Yes, Radcliffe does more jobs than Maconie, so it only makes sense.

I agree. I listen at work. I can't bare the commercial stations. I'm surprised since its DAB only.

kromeo

Ridiculous salaries, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Their salaries need to come down drastically across the board.

It's no different from any other industry, you can't keep your best talent if you don't pay competitive wages

You could argue that some of them like Shearer aren't exactly best talent

mclem

mel and sue who gets more?

Mel's listed, Sue isn't. Although I think Mel does a bit more, too - Sue had Insert Name Here, Mel's had a variety of gameshowy and talent formats, plus the Eurovision semis.

Edit:

hxjLTvw.png

Makes perfect sense. Although they're going to have to be awfully careful how they phrase the caveats for that one!

Zzoram

What will happen now is everyone at BBC is going to ask for raises to match their colleagues and the price of talent will go up. Also, private companies now know exactly how much to offer to poach talent.

The masses will also complain about overpaid talent at BBC even if they are equal or lower paid than private talent, since private sector pay remains a secret so there is no way to compare them.

EGM1966

Now compare them to sporting salaries and I know where I'd start wanting to cut costs first (wouldn't be TV performers).

TBH - in the inflated world of commercial TV and sports these mostly seem rather innocuous. I mean they're very good and most of the performers are earning way above average but it's still peanuts next to those.

Obviously, I'm finding this all very curious, but it seems a bit pointless considering we have no context.

People do different amounts of work, not all we see on screen and their pay is often because of what rivals will pay, and wanting to keep them. And we all know rivals will be paid more.

I mean for comparison, we can figure out Ant and Dec got £30m for a three year deal. Three years, divided by two, they'd be at £5m on this list. And while they may have that much commercial value - with that context you can figure out why Evans, delivering the massive audience he does, might be on £2m.

If this is intended to keep talent costs down via embarrassment, the government are in for a surprise when they realise what this will actually do. If it leads to better work on BAME/gender pay, lovely, but I don't know if this will in practice.

Oh and it doesn't include people from production companies so it's not even complete. It's an incomplete contextless list, fantastic.

Obviously I'm still going through and OOOO ing at a bunch.

King_Moc

Banned
Now compare them to sporting salaries and I know where I'd start wanting to cut costs first (wouldn't be TV performers).

TBH - in the inflated world of commercial TV and sports these mostly seem rather innocuous. I mean they're very good and most of the performers are earning way above average but it's still peanuts next to those.

If you cut sports salaries the money will just go to the suits upstairs, which is even worse.

Zzoram

If you cut sports salaries the money will just go to the suits upstairs, which is even worse.

It's interesting how workers with low pay put so much focus into complaining about workers with better pay, instead of on how the owners and executives get disproportionately higher pay than those doing all the work. I guess the 0.1% have been good at pitting workers against each other to keep the heat off themselves.

Claire Balding presents half of all national television so I'm a bit shocked not to see her on this list.

Shearer is the one who stands out to me as completely unnecessary, he brings nothing to bbc sport that couldn't be replaced for a fraction of the cost. Even Robbie from arsenal fan tv would be an improvement.

Hilarious and agreed.
Shearer barely brings any interesting commentary or personality to MoTD.

King_Moc

Banned
It's interesting how workers with low pay put so much focus into complaining about workers with better pay, instead of on how the owners and executives get disproportionately higher pay than those doing all the work. I guess the 0.1% have been good at pitting workers against each other to keep the heat off themselves.

Yep, absolutely. They just keep themselves in the shadows and push others into the limelight and it seems to work out very nicely for them.

Cant believe Peter Capaldi is on so little

I can sorta get it. The show does need to focus what budget it can into unusual sets, costumes, and effects, while the titular role is now such that actors will be after it not for the pay, but because it's the Doctor. They will instantly be a cultural icon unto themselves and nowadays, many of the prospects will have grown up with the franchise. Even someone like Matt Smith, who had to familiarise himself with the character after getting the part, probably went into it because it was such a big deal - the role matters more than the money.

Not to take away how surprising it is, versus some of the presenters.

MrS

Banned
Do you like sport though? I don't watch any BBC TV dramas, talk shows or cooking programmes so it would be incredibly easy for me to say "fuck em, pay them all less or get rid of them". I wouldn't do that though because I know they have a viewership who enjoys their product.

keep

I can sorta get it. The show does need to focus what budget it can into unusual sets, costumes, and effects, while the titular role is now such that actors will be after it not for the pay, but because it's the Doctor. They will instantly be a cultural icon unto themselves and nowadays, many of the prospects will have grown up with the franchise. Even someone like Matt Smith, who had to familiarise himself with the character after getting the part, probably went into it because it was such a big deal - the role matters more than the money.

Not to take away how surprising it is, versus some of the presenters.

The role of the Doctor opens many other doors, the base salary is the starting point. Peter is making an absolute mint in the convention mill, at around 100k per appearance. He's been to at least 4 in the last year - there's money he'd never have made if he wasn't the Doctor.

EGM1966

Do you like sport though? I don't watch any BBC TV dramas, talk shows or cooking programmes so it would be incredibly easy for me to say "fuck em, pay them all less or get rid of them". I wouldn't do that though because I know they have a viewership who enjoys their product.

I like sports a lot. When you're playing someone £22 million though there's little point complaining someone else (who may well actually "work" more hours is getting $200,000.

Sport salaries are hideously inflated on our cultural obsession with sports and sporting heroes and resolving this alone would free up money better used elsewhere.

And I doubt someone's not going to peruse their sport if they only earn £500 K.

And my point aligns with yours. There's no point trying to demonize someone getting £200K for something popular when the truly excessive salaries are elsewhere.

The role of the Doctor opens many other doors, the base salary is the starting point. Peter is making an absolute mint in the convention mill, at around 100k per appearance. He's been to at least 4 in the last year - there's money he'd never have made if he wasn't the Doctor.

Does he get a cut of merchandise sales that use his likeness possibly too?

MisterR

These are actually quiet a bit lower than I'd expect. Not close to what news and television performers make in the US.

liquidtmd

Banned
These are actually quiet a bit lower than I'd expect. Not close to what news and television performers make in the US.

The U.S public aren't ordered to pay £150 a year though for the privilege of owning a TV, the proceeds of which then go to pay said stars.

Coxy100

Banned
Claire Balding presents half of all national television so I'm a bit shocked not to see her on this list.

Shearer is the one who stands out to me as completely unnecessary, he brings nothing to bbc sport that couldn't be replaced for a fraction of the cost. Even Robbie from arsenal fan tv would be an improvement.
Fully agree - shearer is the one that really gets to me - he is not worth it at all

Obviously, I'm finding this all very curious, but it seems a bit pointless considering we have no context.

People do different amounts of work, not all we see on screen and their pay is often because of what rivals will pay, and wanting to keep them. And we all know rivals will be paid more.

I mean for comparison, we can figure out Ant and Dec got £30m for a three year deal. Three years, divided by two, they'd be at £5m on this list. And while they may have that much commercial value - with that context you can figure out why Evans, delivering the massive audience he does, might be on £2m.

If this is intended to keep talent costs down via embarrassment, the government are in for a surprise when they realise what this will actually do. If it leads to better work on BAME/gender pay, lovely, but I don't know if this will in practice.

Oh and it doesn't include people from production companies so it's not even complete. It's an incomplete contextless list, fantastic.

Obviously I'm still going through and OOOO ing at a bunch.

I agree, and it also doesn't note where people work several different jobs on TV & radio or suchlike.

If you don't like it, don't pay for it.

Speaking as someone that's done just that... it's not as easy as you might think.

Or at least, prepare to be harassed to the ends of the earth. I've lost count of the number of threatening letters I've received despite telling them that I don't watch live TV (or iPlayer).

Said the same to the goon that turned up at the door. Apparently they just don't listen.

Top Bottom