• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC stars' pay has been revealed in annual report.

Par Score

The U.S public aren't ordered to pay £150 a year though for the privilege of owning a TV, the proceeds of which then go to pay said stars.

Yes, because American TV is a shining beacon on the hill we should all aspire too.

Please Rupert Murdoch, come and save us from spending £150 a year! Fuck the BBC, fuck the NHS, what we need is Guns, Jesus and a subscription to Sky*!

(*minimum subscription £264 per year, £600 with Sports and Movies)

Do you like sport though? I don't watch any BBC TV dramas, talk shows or cooking programmes so it would be incredibly easy for me to say "fuck em, pay them all less or get rid of them". I wouldn't do that though because I know they have a viewership who enjoys their product.

I think the difference being sports exists without the BBC too and doesn't have the audacity to charge me 140 quid a year for shit I don't watch.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
£500,000 - £549,999
Steve Wright

Jesus. That buffoon should have been gently shown the door decades ago and he's the highest paid DJ on the BBC.

Honestly the worst DJ working today. If the BBC are looking to save money I know where I'd start.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yes, because American TV is a shining beacon on the hill we should all aspire too.

Funny you mention that because it is true.

UK is slowly turning into a mini USA on its business practices, language, public opinions, behaviour, strategies and politics whether its how leaders behave or how they determine policies. It's been happening for quite some time (I wanna say it accelerated around mid-2000s) but if anyway Brexit was what really confirmed it. Cry all you want about how we shouldn't copy the USA but it's happening right before your eyes. Boo-hoo.

Bluth54

He's on more money. This doesn't include what BBC Worldwide pay him, his residuals etc.

Presenters don't get those generally.

This is why this list is useless tbh.

He's also on the higher end of the BBC actor payscale

Let's not forget that in the future he'll be able to make to make plenty on the convention circuit if he wants to do them.

Mindwipe

He's also on the higher end of the BBC actor payscale

Let's not forget that in the future he'll be able to make to make plenty on the convention circuit if he wants to do them.

All actors on the list are artificially low compared to presenters because of this tbh.

(Well, nearly. Charlie from Casualty is probably not getting much extra from commercial residuals).

And how on earth did Chris Evans trick people into thinking he's good?

He is good. He revolutionised television - twice - with Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and T.F.I Friday.

It's entirely understandable why anyone would dislike him, don't get me wrong. But he's very good at what he does.

King_Moc

Banned
Jesus. That buffoon should have been gently shown the door decades ago and he's the highest paid DJ on the BBC.

Honestly the worst DJ working today. If the BBC are looking to save money I know where I'd start.

He's literally still trying to force American Country music on everyone. Does he not have a manager to tell him to just stop.

He is good. He revolutionised television - twice - with Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and T.F.I Friday.

It's entirely understandable why anyone would dislike him, don't get me wrong. But he's very good at what he does.

The Big Breakfast did what TFI did years earlier, TFI was pretty much just him converting the format to the evening and getting some bands in.

I think most people don't realise just how hands on Evans was in making those shows what they were. And they were era defining stuff.

I’m blown away that the minimum salary is £150k

It's not, they just weren't obliged to show any salaries that were lower than that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Funny you mention that because it is true.

UK is slowly turning into a mini USA on its business practices, language, public opinions, behaviour, strategies and politics whether its how leaders behave or how they determine policies. It's been happening for quite some time (I wanna say it accelerated around mid-2000s) but if anyway Brexit was what really confirmed it. Cry all you want about how we shouldn't copy the USA but it's happening right before your eyes. Boo-hoo.
You say that but America has become a parody of itself and and farce. No western nation is going to be topping that for many, many decades.

They saw the UK and said "hold my beer"

Jacknapes

£2 million for Chris Evans!!!!!. Didn't he say something himself along the lines of he gets paid too much.

Wonder how much some of the former BBC presenters were on. Wasn't Jeremy Clarkson on similar a year??. And the gender gap is huge.

liquidtmd

Banned

Please Rupert Murdoch, come and save us from spending £150 a year! Fuck the BBC, fuck the NHS, what we need is Guns, Jesus and a subscription to Sky*!

(*minimum subscription £264 per year, £600 with Sports and Movies)

If I want to pay for Sky, Netflix, or whatever I choose based on the content they provide - it's my £150.

I resent being effectively taxed it to own a television and the money going towards 95% of the modern day shit on the BBC I don't watch.

caramac

Does John McEnroe do commentary/anlysis for other tournaments on the beeb or is his 150/200k figure just for his two week Wimbledon stint?

Lagamorph

Yes you are. You need a TV licence if you own a TV.
No. You only need a licence if you watch live TV broadcasts (of any channel, not just the BBC). If you only use your TV to watch internet catch up services you don't need a licence.

You do need a licence if you use the live broadcast function of iPlayer/Sky Go though.

danowat

Banned
No. You only need a licence if you watch live TV broadcasts (of any channel, not just the BBC). If you only use your TV to watch internet catch up services you don't need a licence.

You do need a licence if you use the live broadcast function of iPlayer/Sky Go though.

Unless it's changed, I always thought it was if you had equipment capable of receiving a signal, not whether you do or not.

Unless it's changed, I always thought it was if you had equipment capable of receiving a signal, not whether you do or not.

^Yup. This was my understanding of it too, and we asked the agent who helped relocate us about the specifics. She said if you had any device capable of receiving, whether you watched it, used it, or not, then you had to pay. So that included TVs, computers, etc.

What TV Licensing claim the law says and what the law says can be quite different things.

I'm a big supporter of the BBC and I think it's the right way to fund it, but TV Licensing as an organisation are utter cocks, and also in many places just incompetent with awful systems.

DBT85

And I doubt someone's not going to peruse their sport if they only earn £500 K.

No you're right, they'll just pursue it in a different country where then can earn that in 3 or 4 weeks.

Sports teams make lots of money from fans and sponsorship. If you want to stop the people working for them from taking their cut then you've got your work cut out for you.

I have no problem with how much they pay, but no POC and hardly any women in the top earners says it all.

Part of the problem that I have with the list is that it only tells part of the story. There are a bunch of people who get paid by independent production companies or BBC Worldwide. Matt Le Blanc or Mary Berry for instance. Also, if someone is paid part by BBC and part by a production company (ala Norton), only the BBC portion is shown. The result is that all of these numbers are minimums and it's difficult to tell what the actual figures are, which in my opinion makes it less useful than it should be. Let' says Claudia Winkleman gets paid another 200k by a production company for some of her BBC work, she ends up earning more than many of the men on the list but it doesn't seem that way from the published figures.

And before anyone jumps on me, I'm not defending women's pay being lower on the list, I'm simply stating that it doesn't show the whole picture, it just shows the BBC's outgoings.

TimmmV

^Yup. This was my understanding of it too, and we asked the agent who helped relocate us about the specifics. She said if you had any device capable of receiving, whether you watched it, used it, or not, then you had to pay. So that included TVs, computers, etc.

I thought the rule was always that you didn't need a TV license if all you did on the TV was stuff like watching Netflix/dvds or playing video games, but that you did if you watched live broadcasts. There was that loophole which meant watching stuff on iPlayer that wasn't live didn't need a TV license, but IIRC that was changed about a year ago, so now you do need a TV license to watch anything on iPlayer, but still don't if all you use your TV for is Netflix/gaming

EGM1966

No you're right, they'll just pursue it in a different country where then can earn that in 3 or 4 weeks.

Sports teams make lots of money from fans and sponsorship. If you want to stop the people working for them from taking their cut then you've got your work cut out for you.
Obviously for any change to work it needs to be global: but that's not really my point; my point is it's odd to see outrage at £200K for a popular presenter when - often supported by poorest demographics - vastly larger salaries are handed out in sports.

TV licensing changed in the last few years. You don't need a license if you don't watch live broadcasts or record live broadcasts or watch iplayer but have a TV or other equipment capable. You can use it for video games, DVD/Bluray, internet, and watch ITV player/4od.

I thought the rule was always that you didn't need a TV license if all you did on the TV was stuff like watching Netflix/dvds or playing video games, but that you did if you watched live broadcasts. There was that loophole which meant watching stuff on iPlayer that wasn't live didn't need a TV license, but IIRC that was changed about a year ago, so now you do need a TV license to watch anything on iPlayer, but still don't if all you use your TV for is Netflix/gaming

I've no idea. We relocated from another country and when we started renting our house we kept getting notices about the fee that got steadily more legal-sounding. I thought it was a scam or some bull to charge people who didn't know better, so I asked our agent. I even said something very similar about just using the TV for games/our movie services because fuck if I want to pay for a service I have no interest in. That was her response, confirmed by the real estate agency, so we paid. I still feel ripped off.

Acheteedo

Why is this news? It's been a prominent story for 2 days straight now. I don't get it, I don't care about celebrity salaries.

Daffy Duck

Surely the screaming over all this women get paid less, surely it is in the hands of the BBC to renumerate the staff accordingly, not anybody else, so this is all their doing anyway, they can bleet on about oh we must find ways blah blah, but how about this, just pay the women the same as the men?

I mean, it's not rocket science is it?

milanbaros

Member?
I've no idea. We relocated from another country and when we started renting our house we kept getting notices about the fee that got steadily more legal-sounding. I thought it was a scam or some bull to charge people who didn't know better, so I asked our agent. I even said something very similar about just using the TV for games/our movie services because fuck if I want to pay for a service I have no interest in. That was her response, confirmed by the real estate agency, so we paid. I still feel ripped off.

Well, you did get ripped off, that's why you feel like it. You just have to go on the license fee website and confirm you don't need one and the letters stop.

Owning a device capable of receiving a signal is a ridiculous criteria in the modern age considering a smartphone can watch live tv.

Sorry you got duped and received bad advice although a simple google should've put you right,

Daffy Duck

Well, you did get ripped off, that's why you feel like it. You just have to go on the license fee website and confirm you don't need one and the letters stop.

Owning a device capable of receiving a signal is a ridiculous criteria in the modern age considering a smartphone can watch live tv.

Sorry you got duped and received bad advice although a simple google should've put you right,

That's where the fee gets even funnier, if you have a phone or a laptop the fee you pay at home covers use on that device, as soon as you plug it in, say at an office and that place doesn't have a TV licence, you aren't covered.

Surely the screaming over all this women get paid less, surely it is in the hands of the BBC to renumerate the staff accordingly, not anybody else, so this is all their doing anyway, they can bleet on about oh we must find ways blah blah, but how about this, just pay the women the same as the men?

I mean, it's not rocket science is it?

I'd bet that this is endemic to the TV industry, not just the BBC. The BBC operate in a marketplace and they must therefore pay reasonably competitively.

keep

Wait, so I can see how much Capaldi has earned but not Moffat or Gatiss?

Moffat is on far far less than the main actor but he also gets paid per episode he delivers, plus royalties, merchandise, etc. All in all, he will make about £3m a year on Doctor Who alone. Add to that all the money coming from Sherlock via Hartswood and BBC Worldwide. He's minted.

We did google it first to see what it was about and saw conflicting accounts. That's why we asked the local professional responsible for handling our relocation and checked with the rental agency, as well. I, too, thought that just owning a device was a ridiculous standard because EVERYONE has at least a TV, but that's what we were told. It's not like we just bought into it. If you're a foreigner, do you trust online accounts (which are varied and conflicting) or people whose job it is to help you relocate? Saying 'google' should have put us right is a bit sneery.

Not in my experience. I still get a letter every couple of weeks. I also tried phoning them.

Edit - lol, I literally just got one.

20170720_120542xfldw.jpg

They seem to have started the cycle again. That's far friendlier than most of the threatening ones I get.

slider

My reaction doesn't go further than the snap judgements I make on the individual's talent. So, no issues with some of the salaries, (and I guess I'd have to compare it to comparable talent on other channels) but huuuuge problem with a couple of the folk.

Mindwipe

Shouldn't Matt Le Blanc be on there? I thought he did Top Gear for the BBC.

He does, but the combination of a large part of his fee being payable by BBC Worldwide and the complicated ownership structure for Top Gear an it's production company mean less than £150k of his fee comes from a direct employee relationship with the public service BBC (which again, is why this list is useless).

Top Bottom