• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

gotoadgo

Alright, yea haven't touched juice for ages so no problem there. I'll look into protein shakes, you can use water instead of milk right? Want to minimize my lactos intake (lactos intolerant).

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm building the motivation to stop smoking every day, working out is a great motivator :)
Yeh you can use water, though it tastes pretty horrible :p some people around here have mentioned almond milk which I believe is lactose free, if you'd like a nicer taste to what you drink.

solxe

Neo Member
Yeh you can use water, though it tastes pretty horrible :p some people around here have mentioned almond milk which I believe is lactose free, if you'd like a nicer taste to what you drink.

Totally forgot about the lactose free milk alternatives haha.

The reason I started insanity is because I started bouldering (climbing) a month ago and I felt that, for one my weight is not helping and secondly my core/stability is horrid. Insanity should be a good choice for climbing right? Or should I try to migrate to p90x asap?

gotoadgo

The reason I started insanity is because I started bouldering (climbing) a month ago and I felt that, for one my weight is not helping and secondly my core/stability is horrid. Insanity should be a good choice for climbing right? Or should I try to migrate to p90x asap?
Insanity is a massive leg work out(particularly your thighs), will help your core and is amazing cardio, but not so much you upper body or any real strength training. P90X will be great for strength but isn't very heavy on cardio fitness. It really depends on what sort of fitness you need, I don't climb so I have no idea. A lot of people do Insanity first and the migrate to P90X from what I can tell.

solxe

Neo Member
Insanity is a massive leg work out(particularly your thighs), will help your core and is amazing cardio, but not so much you upper body or any real strength training. P90X will be great for strength but isn't very heavy on cardio fitness. It really depends on what sort of fitness you need, I don't climb so I have no idea. A lot of people do Insanity first and the migrate to P90X from what I can tell.

Okey great, I think I'll do the 60days (hopefully :) ) then move on to p90x or maybe a hybrid.

Thanks for your input =)

Wow, everything they said about month 2 is true. I started the video straight after my fitness test (I know I probably should have waited, but I was in the zone, baby) and instantly regretted it. I spent way too much of the video spectating, but I guess everyone struggles when starting month 2
wtzgU.gif

Oh, and not too sure I liked the Shaun T at the beginning of the video! He scared me with comments like "I'm not playing around anymore" and "I'm gonna kick your butt." He got nice at the end of the video again though lol. Anyway, yeah, I'm done. Left hamstring was fine as well, thankfully. And although I became increasingly destroyed throughout, what I noticed was that my recovery time was soooo much faster than when I felt like this on day 1. I'm happy!

Here are my fitness test results. I was worried after my two weeks out they'd be lower...

Switch Kicks - 60 -> 70 -> 73 (+13)
Power Jacks - 33 -> 47 -> 50 (+15)
Power Knees - 50 -> 87 -> 86 (+36)
Power Jumps - 17 -> 32 -> 37 (+20)
Globe jumps - 4 -> 7 -> 10 (+6)
Suicide Jumps - 7 -> 12 -> 12 (+5)
Push-Up Jacks - 19 -> 18 -> 21 (+2)
Low Plank Oblique - 29 -> 57 -> 61 (+32)

So yeah, I feel pretty damn happy all in all right now, despite falling behind in today's workout :D

jl4855

Wow, everything they said about month 2 is true. I started the video straight after my fitness test (I know I probably should have waited, but I was in the zone, baby) and instantly regretted it. I spent way too much of the video spectating, but I guess everyone struggles when starting month 2
wtzgU.gif

Oh, and not too sure I liked the Shaun T at the beginning of the video! He scared me with comments like "I'm not playing around anymore" and "I'm gonna kick your butt." He got nice at the end of the video again though lol. Anyway, yeah, I'm done. Left hamstring was fine as well, thankfully. And although I became increasingly destroyed throughout, what I noticed was that my recovery time was soooo much faster than when I felt like this on day 1. I'm happy!

Here are my fitness test results. I was worried after my two weeks out they'd be lower...

So yeah, I feel pretty damn happy all in all right now, despite falling behind in today's workout :D

Great progress there, especially on those globe jumps. Keep up the good work! And yes, month 2 is ridiculous lol

solxe

Neo Member
wtzgU.gif

Very motivating to see progress, especially since I nearly have about the same starting results as you do :)

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll be sure to take up on it. The heart thingy is a bit too expensive for me to afford at the moment (I'm living on a rather tight budget for now). I've been pretty sick for the past few days... too sick to do the exercises (and I did try).

I'm wondering if I should restart the Insanity program next week, due to missing so much? Or should I just continue the month to see how I do, then make a decision on redoing the first month or not before moving on to the 2nd one?

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll be sure to take up on it. The heart thingy is a bit too expensive for me to afford at the moment (I'm living on a rather tight budget for now). I've been pretty sick for the past few days... too sick to do the exercises (and I did try).

I'm wondering if I should restart the Insanity program next week, due to missing so much? Or should I just continue the month to see how I do, then make a decision on redoing the first month or not before moving on to the 2nd one?

You're over thinking the shit out of this. Pick up where you left off and keep going.

Sorry for that. I'm someone who tends to think stuff through before taking initiative. Which results in overthinking way too often. I'm also pro in delaying things until the very last minute and then somehow managing to still finish it (though it's not something worth bragging about).

FOOTE

The taste of sweat in the morning is... not so delicious. T25 total body gets me sweating buckets, its ridiculous. I've caught myself up with the Monday thru Friday schedule (its easier to follow in the morning looking at the schedule when I'm still kinda sleep walking.) I started the last few weeks early to catch up.

Anyway tomorrow is already the last 'hard' day of week four already. Crazy.

I have a Beast workout after work and abs, looking forward to it.

Mastadon

Banned
Day 4 of T25 and Ab Intervals is my favourite workout so far. Still turned me in to a sweaty mess at the end of it, but I feel amazing.

Not sure I'm looking forward to a double Friday though

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Today is the second Total Body Circuit in 3 days. Doesn't help that yesterday I did abs after legs because I'll be gone tomorrow. My legs are absolutely dead.

I see more Total Body Circuit next week too, twice again! Oh joy! Next week is my last week of T25 Alpha though. Still have yet to lose a single pound. Body is a bit more firm, but that's it.

FOOTE

Today is the second Total Body Circuit in 3 days. Doesn't help that yesterday I did abs after legs because I'll be gone tomorrow. My legs are absolutely dead.

I see more Total Body Circuit next week too, twice again! Oh joy! Next week is my last week of T25 Alpha though. Still have yet to lose a single pound. Body is a bit more firm, but that's it.
You sound like you need to have more fun with this. Its not as effective if you don't enjoy what you're doing.

Chris R

As sarcastic as my post was, I am enjoying it. Just not seeing a ton of improvement from the first half. We'll see what Beta has to offer.

I'm not seeing much weight loss either, but I feel MUCH stronger than when I started. I'm just guessing that any fat I lose is being replaced with muscle to offset the overall weight loss. My lower body seems much more "fit" if that makes sense, just need to make the gut go away.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Total Body Circuit is THREE times in week 5!

I haven't lost weight but I'm definitely burning fat, my legs and core are much stronger, I'm far more agile & coordinated and my endurance is way up. And Beta so far is *awesome*.

jdavid459

Why are you skipping it? Do you actually have something on or is it just because? If it's just because I'd encourage you to do it especially as it's only 25 minutes. It's a slippery slope once you start skipping days.

Yea this. And stretching workouts are awesome for your body.

Mainly skipped because of laziness/worn out from doing workout past 6 days before that. I was thinking the stretch was optional because its gray on the calendar, unlike the rest but seems like I am wrong. Not sure if I am going to double stretch and cardio today or just bypass to cardio. Probably do both cuz I feel like a slacker now.

Just did Yoga X for the first time. Well, "did". Insofar as I only did a half hour of it and I'm drenched in sweat and my limbs are shaking. Eventually I hope to be able to do the whole 90 minutes (without my yoga blocks? Maybe that's reaching too far! Heh).

That certainly was interesting though, and completely unlike any workout I've ever done. My mat sucks though. It's so slippery. It's useless when my hands keep sliding forward in downward dog.

FOOTE

Just did Yoga X for the first time. Well, "did". Insofar as I only did a half hour of it and I'm drenched in sweat and my limbs are shaking. Eventually I hope to be able to do the whole 90 minutes (without my yoga blocks? Maybe that's reaching too far! Heh).

That certainly was interesting though, and completely unlike any workout I've ever done. My mat sucks though. It's so slippery. It's useless when my hands keep sliding forward in downward dog.

Yeah, slipping on the mat would make it really tough. You might be able to finish it if you can fix that. The first 55 minutes (everyone says 45 minutes, it's actually closer to 50 or 55 minutes) are where you see all of the downward dog stuff, once you get past that you should have no trouble finishing it. Good luck on your next time around!

Haven't checked in in a while, but just wanted to say I love what the P90X/P90X2/Insanity combo has done for me. I pretty much just played 2 straight hours of basketball and I feel good still! (burned 1100 calories too!)

tmarques

Is it new? New mats come with a coat of whatever it is to keep them from - I assume - drying up and cracking before they are sold. You need to wash it with soap, sometimes several times before it will go away.

Cleaned my whole house (which is probably a workout itself). Was gonna do Plyocide at 24 hour Fitness late night but me and my gf are gonna watch Elysium at midnight. Can I do Plyocide tomorrow morning and X2 Recovery in the evening?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Cleaned my whole house (which is probably a workout itself). Was gonna do Plyocide at 24 hour Fitness late night but me and my gf are gonna watch Elysium at midnight. Can I do Plyocide tomorrow morning and X2 Recovery in the evening?

You know what would be even better? Do Recovery & Mobility first and then skip the warmup and do Plyocide immediately after.

solxe

Neo Member
Pure Cardio today, managed to pull through but yea my lungs are kicking my ass! Really need to kick the cigs soon or at least smoke less (nearly a pack a day now)

Still feel pretty good afterwards and I think I need some kind of upperbody strength training together with insanity.

Any ideas for a short program for upperbody strength in conjunction with insanity?

Pure Cardio today, managed to pull through but yea my lungs are kicking my ass! Really need to kick the cigs soon or at least smoke less (nearly a pack a day now)

Still feel pretty good afterwards and I think I need some kind of upperbody strength training together with insanity.

Any ideas for a short program for upperbody strength in conjunction with insanity?

Nice going. Told you it wasn't too bad :)

I ache like an absolute whore today. And I have day 2 of month 2 iiiinnn...about 4 minutes. Help.

solxe

Neo Member
Nice going. Told you it wasn't too bad :)

I ache like an absolute whore today. And I have day 2 of month 2 iiiinnn...about 4 minutes. Help.

Yea, thankgod... But my body is feeling more and more awake/alert now in the mornings, I'ts like a lamp that instantly turns on, awesome.

Push through! Ache = good :)

Gumbie

I really need to start working out first thing in the morning. There is just too much shit that comes up after work and gets in the way of workouts. The bad thing is I always wake up so tired and groggy it's going to be hard for me to get going. Anyone have any tips for converting to early morning workouts?

izakq

So with wrapping up Insanity in a couple of days, I'm looking to see what to do next. I'm looking at the T-25 program because of the smaller amount of time each workout has compared to Insanity. Reason being is that school is starting up for my son, so my workout window opportunity in the mornings is going to shrink. Is the T-25 program a logical step from Insanity, or is it too much of a leap?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I really need to start working out first thing in the morning. There is just too much shit that comes up after work and gets in the way of workouts. The bad thing is I always wake up so tired and groggy it's going to be hard for me to get going. Anyone have any tips for converting to early morning workouts?

Are you sleeping 7-8 hours the night before? If not, that should be your number one step. Also wash your face with cold water when you wake up and eat something really small, like a banana or a protein bar. Then start your workout.

solxe

Neo Member

It's the only way I can stick to my program as well, everytime I tried in the past to workout in the evenings I fail.
Procrastination is the devil. In the mornings you haven't started doing anything else so you can't sidetrack yourself.

Here's what I do: Make sure your workout clothes are ready to get worn the night before, make room for the workout/gear also.
I wake up, put my clothes on, rinse my face, drink a glass of water, fill up my workout bottle and then I start the workout.

Since I don't have school I started waking up rather late at first but I have so much energy now that I wake up way before my alarm goes off, you get used to it if you stick with it.

Hope this helps =)

So with wrapping up Insanity in a couple of days, I'm looking to see what to do next. I'm looking at the T-25 program because of the smaller amount of time each workout has compared to Insanity. Reason being is that school is starting up for my son, so my workout window opportunity in the mornings is going to shrink. Is the T-25 program a logical step from Insanity, or is it too much of a leap?

How was the results of insanity?

izakq

How was the results of insanity?

I thought it went very well for me. I've lost 12 lbs total and 2 1/2 inches from my waist. I think the most surprising and best part was, beforehand, I had some problems with my lower back and my right knee. My back, at times, will get stiff, and my knee would hurt as if I was kneeling down all day when I wasn't. I felt that the stretching really helped my back and all the jogging in place and jumping around helped strengthened my knee.

solxe

Neo Member
I thought it went very well for me. I've lost 12 lbs total and 2 1/2 inches from my waist. I think the most surprising and best part was, beforehand, I had some problems with my lower back and my right knee. My back, at times, will get stiff, and my knee would hurt as if I was kneeling down all day when I wasn't. I felt that the stretching really helped my back and all the jogging in place and jumping around helped strengthened my knee.

That's great results, nice to hear that it helps strengthen your body as well cause I have some hip problem when I use it awkwardly.
Hopefully it will help with that :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
T-25 might be the most leg focused workout I've done. Seems like you're doing leg moves in every workout. Not a bad thing, it just seems like my legs never get a break!

As for workout times, occasionally I do a workout on Saturday morning at like 10am and after 8 hours of sleep. I'm still worse than right after work. I can't do near as many reps and I get tired easier. No idea how to overcome that, but to workout in the AM all the time I'd have to be up at 5 every morning, and I hate going to bed early. :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Done with the first week of FocusT25 Beta.

WOW. Shaun T was just playin' with us in Alpha. But it really set up a great foundation for Beta. This morning was Double Workout Friday, with Upper Focus followed immediately by Core Cardio. Upper Focus was great. Did it with 10lb dumbbells for this first time, I will probably use 15s next time. My wife tried it with bands but didn't like them, so she's going to buy herself a pair of 3lb dumbbells for these workouts (neither of my adjustable sets go below 5lbs each).

Following that up with Core Cardio was nuts. I ran out of gas a couple times, but powered through as best as I could & did most everything. I was absolutely DRENCHED by the end -- I mean it was like I'd just climbed out of a swimming pool. It was nuts.

Speed 2.0 so far is my favorite workout of the program. Just so high energy, I really get pumped up by the music & trying to keep pace & doing all the moves properly, and I feel amazing after it's done. I did it twice this week, once on schedule on Tuesday and again on Thursday as my second workout of the day at Fit Club at work.

I watched a preview of Speed 3.0 from Gamma, and it looks insane. All of the Gamma workouts bring it up a notch further.

This program is the real deal. People who say "this is too easy" need to move onto Beta. People who say Beta is too easy are probably pretty elite athletes :)

I've been posting reviews of all of the new workouts as I do them on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/RavenhawkFitness. Give it a "Like" :) I'm going to be posting more health and nutrition related articles going forward as well.

Ataraxia

If you have yet to discover the wonderful world of Almond Milk you are in for a real treat. The unsweatened stuff can be mixed with almost anything and goes into all my workout shakes. I've never been a fan of milk even though I can tolerate it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Done with the first week of FocusT25 Beta.

WOW. Shaun T was just playin' with us in Alpha. But it really set up a great foundation for Beta. This morning was Double Workout Friday, with Upper Focus followed immediately by Core Cardio. Upper Focus was great. Did it with 10lb dumbbells for this first time, I will probably use 15s next time. My wife tried it with bands but didn't like them, so she's going to buy herself a pair of 3lb dumbbells for these workouts (neither of my adjustable sets go below 5lbs each).

Following that up with Core Cardio was nuts. I ran out of gas a couple times, but powered through as best as I could & did most everything. I was absolutely DRENCHED by the end -- I mean it was like I'd just climbed out of a swimming pool. It was nuts.

Speed 2.0 so far is my favorite workout of the program. Just so high energy, I really get pumped up by the music & trying to keep pace & doing all the moves properly, and I feel amazing after it's done. I did it twice this week, once on schedule on Tuesday and again on Thursday as my second workout of the day at Fit Club at work.

I watched a preview of Speed 3.0 from Gamma, and it looks insane. All of the Gamma workouts bring it up a notch further.

This program is the real deal. People who say "this is too easy" need to move onto Beta. People who say Beta is too easy are probably pretty elite athletes :)

I've been posting reviews of all of the new workouts as I do them on my Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/RavenhawkFitness. Give it a "Like" :) I'm going to be posting more health and nutrition related articles going forward as well.

Interesting. If I were to buy Gamma would I do it right after Beta? Is there a schedule with Gamma that shows this?

I don't think Alpha is necessarily easy, but I don't think it's doing much on the outside. My guess is (as Shaun T says) Alpha is to build your base for beta. I'm excited to give beta a go! One more week of Alpha for me.

Did you take a rest week in between Alpha and Beta?

Fuck me Plyocide kicked my ass. The last move omg

And they say Insanity is worse??? Shit

Insanity is like Plyocide with very few short breaks, every day of the week. People in the video even have to take breaks in the middle of moves. Well, except Tanya, she's a robot. :p

Top Bottom