• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Correct. I was unable to use Handbrake as well. No idea what the Mac solution would be but I downloaded a trial of AnyDVD and was able to rip them using that. So nice having them all sitting there on my PS3 instead of needing to swap DVDs every single time.
Fucking sucks. I wanted to upload it to my phone and workout at the gym. My living room is too small plus its in the second floor :(. Beachbody should consider releasing a digital version of their future products like P90X3

I did the Core Speed extra that came with the T25 model by ordering through a coach today. It's a ton of fun and basically follows the speed 2.0 model while throwing in a bunch of new moves like a 1-handed burpee.

Jzero

Man i haven't done P90X since i got a job and i decided to start Insanity today since work food is making my love handles come back and holy shit i was only able to do 15 minutes of the cardio circuit. It's crazy how out of shape you can get in a few weeks.

Le-mo

Started the beta phase of T25 this week and holy shit is it fun to do haha. Did Rip'T Circuit today and it was a blast.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Fucking sucks. I wanted to upload it to my phone and workout at the gym. My living room is too small plus its in the second floor :(. Beachbody should consider releasing a digital version of their future products like P90X3

Word I've heard that it's a matter of when, not if -- they're working with various providers to come up with a digital distribution system, so whenever they can get all that sorted out.

I'd love to see them do a "digital copy" scheme like some blu-rays have, where you enter a code you get with the program into iTunes and gain access that way. I hope they have a way of tracking your past purchases so that you can get digital versions of the workouts you already own, if not for free then at least for a large discount.

The TBB Club and Coach discounts might make working with a third party like iTunes or Amazon more difficult, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
1 of 3 Total Body Circuit workouts done for the week.

I'm supposed to do a Total Body Circuit and the legs video Friday but have a friend visitng, think it'd work fine if I did Legs today with the Abs video?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
1 of 3 Total Body Circuit workouts done for the week.

I'm supposed to do a Total Body Circuit and the legs video Friday but have a friend visitng, think it'd work fine if I did Legs today with the Abs video?

Yes, that'd be fine. My wife & I have swapped a few workouts in the schedule so we aren't doing repeats at our Thursday Fit Club at work. As long as you do all of the workouts scheduled for the week I don't think it matters if you do a double Thursday instead of a double Friday.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
ScubaSteve,

How does T25 compare to inanity month 2? I'm hoping I can find something of similar intensity that doesn't require weights, any ideas?

Kinda depends on how hard you bring it. And Beta does require dumbbells or resistance bands.

In the Alpha phase, there are a couple workouts you'll probably find pretty easy coming off Insanity: Alpha: Cardio and Alpha: Speed 1.0. On the other hand, Alpha: Total Body Circuit and Lower Focus will probably be a little tougher than you might expect, but still very doable.

Beta really gets into it, though. You shouldn't have any real problems with Core Cardio or Ab Intervals, but the addition of weights in Rip't Circuit and Upper Focus brings a whole new dimension to things.

And also it's about HOW you do the moves -- if you're finding them easy, work on perfect form, even exaggerated form -- go super-deep in lunges & squats, with full range of motion. Bring your knees up above your waist in high knees & up & overs and mountain climbers. Go at the pace of the folks in the video. In other words, dig deep :)

One thing that might work well for a recent Insanity graduate is to do only the last 2 or 3 weeks of Alpha, so that you can learn the moves & the flow of the workouts (and find out how easy/difficult it is), and then dive right into Beta.

I think I'm getting more out of T25 than I did Insanity, personally, although I did Insanity a long time ago in terms of my fitness journey (right after Power90 last year). And I think the workouts are better-designed, more efficient and represent more "modern" thinking in terms of fitness than Insanity does.

Ixian

Going to give Speed 2.0 a shot today in place of my Insanity fitness test. As someone who's really into playing dancing games like DDR, I'm excited about doing something that's in sync with fun music.

Speaking of dancing games, I've only been back on Insanity for two weeks (and have been eating poorly for the last two weeks at that -- damn the temptation of cookies!) but the increase in stamina and leg speed is still crazy noticeable. Not that I was slow or easy to tire before, but Insanity does give me that extra oomph I need, and it's only going to get better. I love it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just do them friday in the morning.

Morning workouts? No way. I'd have to get up at like 4:45! :p

Yes, that'd be fine. My wife & I have swapped a few workouts in the schedule so we aren't doing repeats at our Thursday Fit Club at work. As long as you do all of the workouts scheduled for the week I don't think it matters if you do a double Thursday instead of a double Friday.

I'll do this then. I find the double workout days the most manageable when it's done with abs as video 2.

Kerrinck

Thanks for the suggestions on what route to go next. Will probably try the program again since I slacked off a bit at the beginning.

jdavid459

Is it a bad thing that I keep doing my T25 workouts right before bed? It is really the only convenient time I have. Does this negate some positive affects the workout gives? Like an increased metabolism or anything like that?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is it a bad thing that I keep doing my T25 workouts right before bed? It is really the only convenient time I have. Does this negate some positive affects the workout gives? Like an increased metabolism or anything like that?

I wouldn't think so.

Personally I can't do a workout right before bed. I get too wound up & have too much energy to sleep! First thing in the morning is best for me!

jdavid459

I wouldn't think so.

Personally I can't do a workout right before bed. I get too wound up & have too much energy to sleep! First thing in the morning is best for me!

Hmm...good to hear. And when I finish my workout only thing I want to do is pass out so it works good for me haha.

Did my workout early today though. Lower Focus and Ab Intervals (alpha), finishing week 2. That absolutely destroyed me. Jumping squats, my god.

FOOTE

M1hXsBe.png

Oh. After doing abs I definitely know who Christina is now.

yogloo

2nd day of p90x. Now I am sore as fuck. I have gained 10 lbs since the last time I attempted p90x. D: Here's hoping I shed them all.

Chris R

I haven't been doing them right before bed, but normally an hour or two after I have dinner. Easy to take a shower afterwards (I have to with how much I'm sweating) and then just chill the rest of the night and not need one in the morning.

Though if I could wake up earlier I'd totally do the workouts in the morning before work.

Razorskin

----- ------
2nd day of p90x. Now I am sore as fuck. I have gained 10 lbs since the last time I attempted p90x. D: Here's hoping I shed them all.

The first week I was sore everywhere all the time, was just really awful to do anything, past that I'm a lot less sore, usually just localized to the muscles I worked out the most the day before.

Ixian

Speed 2.0 was fun! Easier than I expected, but I guess that shouldn't be a surprise since it's in my wheelhouse. Curious to see what Speed 3.0 is like now.

Also, seeing Tanya do modified moves broke my heart. :(

Codernaut

Banned
For those who tried both Insanity and Focus T25, which one of those two products do you think is more balanced and better all-around?

I have never tried any Beachbody product before so I'm really torn between choosing one of those two. I'm really scared of Insanity because of its 'insanity,' but I'm truly impressed by the results that people got from doing it. Focus T25, on the other hand, is really attractive in terms of its shortness which might come in handy for me since I'm a college student. But my problem with it is that the test group results are not as impressive as the ones from Insanity and because it's a new product, I can't find any results of people who have actually tried it outside the group.

If we do the p90x routines without following the diet, will we see any result?

For sure.

Working out for 1-1.5 hours every day of the week is going to get results ;)
If you are like me you'll find you adapt to the diet naturally. When you are working so hard and so often? You'll not want to be wasting it on a bit of fast food.

yogloo

The thing is I travel a lot for my job. A lot of the times you don't really have a choice on what to eat. Sometimes when I go out with my relations I can't really refuse the food because it can be considered rude. :| It's killing my diet.

Tash

For those who tried both Insanity and Focus T25, which one of those two products do you think is more balanced and better all-around?

I have never tried any Beachbody product before so I'm really torn between choosing one of those two. I'm really scared of Insanity because of its 'insanity,' but I'm truly impressed by the results that people got from doing it. Focus T25, on the other hand, is really attractive in terms of its shortness which might come in handy for me since I'm a college student. But my problem with it is that the test group results are not as impressive as the ones from Insanity and because it's a new product, I can't find any results of people who have actually tried it outside the group.

I think T25 is better but that is a personal opinion and for personal reasons:

I feel that Insanity lets me cheat more. I focus way more on Form during T25 because it's slower yet nonstop work for 25 minutes while Insanity is having you go bat shit crazy for short periods and rest in between. I feel like I didn't have proper form through many of the Insanity moves due to wanting to push as hard as I could..If that makes sense.

I have much more control and focus during T25 (same was true for Asylum, though). Generally while I love Insanity I think it can be a bit dangerous if you are not super careful with your form.

The thing is I travel a lot for my job. A lot of the times you don't really have a choice on what to eat. Sometimes when I go out with my relations I can't really refuse the food because it can be considered rude. :| It's killing my diet.

You'll be right. Even without eating well you'll still be much better off.

I'd be more concerned about travelling a lot because that could really kill your ability to get through the program. Do you have the ability to take gear with you or access to a gym? If not you might be better off with a program like insanity or T25 to start that you can do just with a tv.

I feel that Insanity lets me cheat more. I focus way more on Form during T25 because it's slower yet nonstop work for 25 minutes while Insanity is having you go bat shit crazy for short periods and rest in between. I feel like I didn't have proper form through many of the Insanity moves due to wanting to push as hard as I could..If that makes sense.

I only just started, but so far I completely agree.

yogloo

You'll be right. Even without eating well you'll still be much better off.

I'd be more concerned about travelling a lot because that could really kill your ability to get through the program. Do you have the ability to take gear with you or access to a gym? If not you might be better off with a program like insanity or T25 to start that you can do just with a tv.

I only just started, but so far I completely agree.
That's actually a great idea. I am going to look into t25. I currently try to do yayog while I am on the road.

Tash

I am travelling a lot too and that involves a lot of networking during evenings as well.
Since I have my notebook with my anyway and since you don't need any or at least not a lot of equippment for T25 I am going to take the DvDs with me for travelling.

As far as the nutrition part goes: I don't care what other people say. There are always somewhat healthy things on the menu. A salad and then ask for the dressing on the side always works. Or grilled chicken or salmon with veggies.
If people react weirdly I explain that I need to be careful with my eating habits for health issues. In my case it's true but I am sure it works as an excuse as well ;)

General note: yes Christina is awesome. She is my inspiration :D I love how she keeps form throughout!

Codernaut

Banned
I think T25 is better but that is a personal opinion and for personal reasons:

I have much more control and focus during T25 (same was true for Asylum, though). Generally while I love Insanity I think it can be a bit dangerous if you are not super careful with your form.

When did you start T25? And are you seeing any results so far?

Also, I just did a little research on it, and I found out that you are only allowed to eat like 1600 calories a day max. Is that enough for a guy to build muscle?

Kinda depends on how hard you bring it. And Beta does require dumbbells or resistance bands.

In the Alpha phase, there are a couple workouts you'll probably find pretty easy coming off Insanity: Alpha: Cardio and Alpha: Speed 1.0. On the other hand, Alpha: Total Body Circuit and Lower Focus will probably be a little tougher than you might expect, but still very doable.

Beta really gets into it, though. You shouldn't have any real problems with Core Cardio or Ab Intervals, but the addition of weights in Rip't Circuit and Upper Focus brings a whole new dimension to things.

And also it's about HOW you do the moves -- if you're finding them easy, work on perfect form, even exaggerated form -- go super-deep in lunges & squats, with full range of motion. Bring your knees up above your waist in high knees & up & overs and mountain climbers. Go at the pace of the folks in the video. In other words, dig deep :)

One thing that might work well for a recent Insanity graduate is to do only the last 2 or 3 weeks of Alpha, so that you can learn the moves & the flow of the workouts (and find out how easy/difficult it is), and then dive right into Beta.

I think I'm getting more out of T25 than I did Insanity, personally, although I did Insanity a long time ago in terms of my fitness journey (right after Power90 last year). And I think the workouts are better-designed, more efficient and represent more "modern" thinking in terms of fitness than Insanity does.

Thanks man. Il pick up t25. After 2 straight times of insanity, I need to change it up a little.

Tash

When did you start T25? And are you seeing any results so far?

Also, I just did a little research on it, and I found out that you are only allowed to eat like 1600 calories a day max. Is that enough for a guy to build muscle?

I tested it earlier and had to stop for some breaks because of overseas travel. Not that far yet since I started over again (just finished week two of Alpha).

I wouldn't go with T25 if your main goal is to build muscles. It will definitely slim you out which will in turn show your existing muscles as more definition. The question is do you mean "build muscles" as in really gaining or do you mean "I want to see my muscles and have more definition". The second part is way I am doing it (and because my lower body/legs are super weak and need toning).

So, I would say it's great if you want to lean out and uncover muscles (for example uncover your abs) and add definition*. It's a great combination of cardio and light strength routine. Nothing to really "gain" like you would with proper lifting. That also means you have to really stick to the diet though.

1600 as suggested depends a bit. If you lack energy for the workouts and have troubles getting rid of some last stubborn reservoirs then you will have to experiment with adding a bit more calories.

As to answer your question about Results: Yeah, both in my hip flexor flexibility and strength and how my cloth fit but I am also super focused on my nutrition so that helps I guess :)

*when I say definition I mean getting a slight increase in muscles which will lead to the nice lean, cut athlete look.

Codernaut

Banned
I tested it earlier and had to stop for some breaks because of overseas travel. Not that far yet since I started over again (just finished week two of Alpha).

I wouldn't go with T25 if your main goal is to build muscles. It will definitely slim you out which will in turn show your existing muscles as more definition. The question is do you mean "build muscles" as in really gaining or do you mean "I want to see my muscles and have more definition". The second part is way I am doing it (and because my lower body/legs are super weak and need toning).

So, I would say it's great if you want to lean out and uncover muscles (for example uncover your abs) and add definition*. It's a great combination of cardio and light strength routine. Nothing to really "gain" like you would with proper lifting. That also means you have to really stick to the diet though.

1600 as suggested depends a bit. If you lack energy for the workouts and have troubles getting rid of some last stubborn reservoirs then you will have to experiment with adding a bit more calories.

As to answer your question about Results: Yeah, both in my hip flexor flexibility and strength and how my cloth fit but I am also super focused on my nutrition so that helps I guess :)

*when I say definition I mean getting a slight increase in muscles which will lead to the nice lean, cut athlete look.

That's exactly the answer I've been looking. I never wanted to add too much muscle and bulk up. I'm a short guy, if I bulked up, it would only make me appear shorter so that's why I'm not looking to bulk at all. Besides If I wanted to bulk up I would just choose some other programs like P90X or Body Beast. I'm also a slim guy so I'm not looking to lose any weight either, I just wanna maintain my weight by burning a little bit of fat and gaining some muscle mass to replace it. Toning and more definition is all I need.

But thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. The athlete kind of look is definitely the one I'm aiming for. I just hope I can keep up with this program cause for me I have no problem with working out and exercising all day long if I wanted to. But it's just the food, man. The food. It's my absolute weakness, and I fucking hate it.

This Louis C.K. quote sums up exactly my relationship with food:
Louis-CK-Quotes-01-300x300.png

yogloo

That's exactly the answer I've been looking. I never wanted to add too much muscle and bulk up. I'm a short guy, if I bulked up, it would only make me appear shorter so that's why I'm not looking to bulk at all. Besides If I wanted to bulk up I would just choose some other programs like P90X or Body Beast. I'm also a slim guy so I'm not looking to lose any weight either, I just wanna maintain my weight by burning a little bit of fat and gaining some muscle mass to replace it. Toning and more definition is all I need.

Actually, I don't think you will be able to bulk up much with p90x. As far as I know it is more of a cutting and getting ripped program.

Tash

Actually, I don't think you will be able to bulk up much with p90x. As far as I know it is more of a cutting and getting ripped program.

You can if you want to. You just adjust the weights accordingly in P90X. Nothing like Body Beast of course but you definitely are able to get nice gains. P90X is much more about resistance training than T25 (or any of Shaun T's workouts for that matter).

That said, P90X is definitely also a great choice for what you want to do Codernaut but much more time consuming and in parts a bit outdated now in its approach and if it comes down to a P90? workout I would go with P90X2.

But T25 is a beast and I think it will do you well. I previewed the Beta and Gamma DvDs as well and holy..it's going to hurt :p Really looking forward to Gamma. I love working with weights but alos raelly appreciate the foundation work that is laid down with Alpha.

Codernaut

Banned
Okay, thanks to you guys I just ordered all of T25 including the Gamma phase. It's gonna be here in just 3-4 days. Wish me luck people, I've never been athletic in my entire life.

By the way, I will not be using the resistance bands, I'll just buy a bunch of dumbbells. Do you think 10 lbs as a start will be enough for a guy who never did any weights before or should I go higher?

For those of you who have done Body Beast, I have a question. One of the main reasons I work out is because I like to stay in basketball shape. Insanity and P90x2 have done wonders for my endurance, core, and flexibility. That said, I get bodied in the paint a lot because I'm a skinny guy, thus wanting to move on to Body Beast.

I'm going to start the program in week and a half and wanted to ask about incorporating X2 Yoga into the routine. I basically want to keep the flexibility gains from yoga while adding strength gains from Body Beast. Do you see any reason why I wouldn't be able to do X2 Yoga once or twice a week? If not, any recommendations on a particular day of the week or after a certain work out, to do X2 Yoga?

UXsoPSJ.jpg

http://store.shauntfitness.com/

what the what

For those of you who have done Body Beast, I have a question. One of the main reasons I work out is because I like to stay in basketball shape. Insanity and P90x2 have done wonders for my endurance, core, and flexibility. That said, I get bodied in the paint a lot because I'm a skinny guy, thus wanting to move on to Body Beast.

I'm going to start the program in week and a half and wanted to ask about incorporating X2 Yoga into the routine. I basically want to keep the flexibility gains from yoga while adding strength gains from Body Beast. Do you see any reason why I wouldn't be able to do X2 Yoga once or twice a week? If not, any recommendations on a particular day of the week or after a certain work out, to do X2 Yoga?

There's definitely room for it in Body Beast and I don't see any harm adding it in. Especially in the 2nd month, bulk phase, all of your workouts are around 30mins.

Top Bottom