• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Beauty And The Beast" will be first Disney movie to feature an openly gay character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there is a good case to be made that Scar is gay, and that one of the incidental characters in Frozen is gay.

I wouldn't say Scar was gay, it's just that flamboyancy and a posh attitude were classic staples of villainy. Unfortunately, many villains were given appearances and attitudes that can be seen as 'gay' because it was an easy way of making them the 'other' to the percieved audience.

Astral Dog

I wouldn't say Scar was gay, it's just that flamboyancy and a posh attitude were classic staples of villainy. Unfortunately, many villains were given appearances and attitudes that can be seen as 'gay' because it was an easy way of making them the 'other' to the percieved audience.
Scar was not gay,he was just a classy motherfucker

Koomaster

Yep, we've all fallen for the bad boys in our lives.

I've never read the character as gay, even in subtext; but if they can make it work for the new film I'm good with that.

Arkeband

Banned
tumblr_m5fu8j02cc1r2g7mto1_500.png

So... the same as before.

Only known downside to the live-action remake is we won't get freeze-frame shots of Gaston that look like this:

Hermione's bad acting will deliver new didneyworl's.

Goodstyle

They only remember their headcanons.

I think it's more that people mainly remember the movie through the songs, and if you only see Le Fou in "Belle" and "Gaston", it would make sense to think that he's gay. He's really more like a snarking sidekick that's actually smarter than his boss. In the film, he even has the hots for the bimbettes, but that's not shown off as much as his sycophantic nature in the songs.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Exactly.

Scar even kept a harem of lionesses in the movie after he became king.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was hoping it Was Belle and she just shoots down the Beasts ever more desperate advances and the movie ends with him stuck as a monster.

Can't a man admire another man without it being gay?

I don't remember him being attracted to Gaston in that matter in the cartoon.

I'll be pissed off if it looks weird in the real life movie, or just looks forced.

Can't a man admire another man without it being gay?

I don't remember him being attracted to Gaston in that matter in the cartoon.

I'll be pissed off if it looks weird in the real life movie, or just looks forced.

Funny how you rarely see posts like this about straight pairings... 🤔🤔🤔

SOLDIER

I don't think championing the cartoonishly imbecellic door-mat character as their first gay character is going to go over as well as they are hoping....

RocBase

I guess that explains the reaction to the "team" line in the song clip the other day.

Incidentally, Scar was played by gay singer / actor Rikard Wolff in the Swedish version, and he was fucking awesome. Not that there was anything particular "gay" about his performance, he sounds a lot like Jeremy Irons actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpaxK2PzQI

Also, Andreas Deja, the animator supervisor for Scar, is gay and borrowed from those mannerism :p

EDIT:
I thought there was a gay character in frozen..

????????

Astral Dog

I don't think championing the cartoonishly imbecellic door-mat character as their first gay character is going to go over as well as they are hoping....
Eh it could work well enough. They made him a bit more flamboyant and have a crush on Gaston thats all.

Plus i haven't see the movie in ages but people here say he was much smarter than Gaston even in the movie so that could show here

Fades

Banned

Oaken, the shopkeeper. He refers to his "family" (an adult man and children) in the sauna, and he was a little flamboyant. He wouldn't be counted as an openly gay character, though, as his sexuality was only implied rather than outwardly stated.

SOLDIER

Eh it could work well enough. They made him a bit more flamboyant and have a crush on Gaston thats all.

Plus i haven't see the movie in ages but people here say he was much smarter than Gaston even in the movie so that could show here

I mean, Gaston didn't even know how to hold a book correctly.

Not the highest bar to climb.

Zalasta

So the gay character gets exploited by his straight friend whom he has a crush on? How original and what a great portrayal, lol...

RocBase

Oaken, the shopkeeper. He refers to his "family" (an adult man and children) in the sauna, and he was a little flamboyant. He wouldn't be counted as an openly gay character, though, as his sexuality was only implied rather than outwardly stated.

Huh! Interesting, never noticed that.

Dreavus

LeFou wasn't
gay for Gaston in the original.

Check out this scene for example. The dynamic in the film wasn't that he was secretly in love with Gaston, it's more that he was a sycophant that was ironically smarter than he seemed and may have actually held a low opinion of Gaston deep down. There's also that line in the Gaston reprise where he calls thinking a "dangerous past-time" for him.

Good post. He's showing very clear sycophantic behavior in the original - he's attached himself to the most popular/powerful man in town in hopes of raising his own status up, even though he lets on that he really thinks Gaston's not all he's cracked up to be.

I mean, it could work this way too, but it kind of switches around LeFou's motivations (being friends with the most popular guy in town to get ahead versus getting with the most popular guy in town to... get with him).

JSevere

so Disney's first gay character is the pathetic sidekick to the main villain who's just gonna be the butt of tons of jokes during the movie? huh

Edit: never mind, read spoilers for the novelization of the movie
they give LeFou an awesome arc
so it's all good

How is this different than lefou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom