• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been replaying MGSV lately... Man, it's so good! (Also: Your favorite weapons?)

Still probably the greatest game I have ever played. It feels so damn right control-wise, and even during the craziest split second decision making I never got frustrated by control problems. It's like my brain is synchronized with the playable character and it's awesome! Either during stealth or combat I feel in control.

I am on my third playthrough now and am liking it even more with my knowledge from the other two plays. The added challenge lists are a nice addition. And I am forcing myself to switch out my weapons every mission so I can keep things fresh. Even if those weapons aren't that good I like having to adapt. I've been doing the same with the Souls games lately and it is making me enjoy them more as well.

Looking forward to actually beating Mission 45 this time and doing Mission 43 again. 43 was pretty harrowing stuff.

The game well and truly does play like a dream. It's a shame the online mode is dying because while it aint perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it sure is fun utilising the controls against other players.

I was super chuffed when I managed to pull this off.

L9rPDp.gif

That reminds me, why oh why isn't there an Ocelot Unit or at least red beret option for the single player Diamond Dogs :( Rhetorical because I know why... just lamenting haha I'd have logged some serious hours if Raging Cobra or Mad Centipede could field looking like that.

The worst thing about this game was processing through the story and realizing how little effort they put into mission variety.

What a disappointment.

Neiteio

The worst thing about this game was processing through the story and realizing how little effort they put into mission variety.

What a disappointment.
There's an extraordinary amount of mission variety. The objectives might fall in three or four broad categories, but the ways you can go about those objectives, coupled with the different layouts of each installation, mean there is virtually unlimited variety. It's amazing.

What a disappointment.

Completely agree. Each mission felt like the last. Also this was one of the series that should never be open world. Couldn't even finish the game. Multiplayer was fun though.

There's an extraordinary amount of mission variety. The objectives might fall in three or four broad categories, but the ways you can go about those objectives, coupled with the different layouts of each installation, mean there is virtually unlimited variety. It's amazing.
Well yeah, I can make my own variety, but I'm still compensating for the lack of variety in the structure of story missions.
Completely agree. Each mission felt like the last. Also this was one of the series that should never be open world. Couldn't even finish the game. Multiplayer was fun though.
Yep, all the open world did was make actually getting to missions more tedious without D-Horse, and the amount of miles some missions spawned were completely unnecessary.

Neiteio

Well yeah, I can make my own variety, but I'm still compensating for the lack of variety in the structure of story missions.
Playing through the earlier games right now, their mission variety usually amounts to "reach the X on the map." And with less options and variety for how you reach that X (vs. those in MGSV), for that matter.

This has been half of MGS3 so far... Just reach the X. And I get there by running up to each guard and spiking their face to the ground, lol.

Key combat deployment missions is the dumbest shit I've ever heard of with 50% success rates and 2+ hour long waits. Why Kojima

TDonk

I started this today and after about 4 or 5 missions......im not feeling it :(

Feels like a scenario mode/spin off than an actual installment of the series.....which I guess I kinda knew anyway.

What a disappointment.

I never understood this complaint.

The majority of missions in MGSV have vastly different structure. Sure, the end goal for many missions can be quite similar, but everything in the mission before you finally complete the objective is very different.

That's not even taking into account the freedom at your disposal when tackling those missions. They're dozens of ways to complete each one.

This thread prompted me to go back. I bought MGSV when it was first released, but a couple days later I started a week long vacation to Colorado. Once I got back, I didn't have the pull to play because of the gap so soon after release. Plus, there was a good bit of the "Fuck Konami" talk at the time, so that didn't help either. I always planned to restart playing, and this thread prompted me to do so.

I've finished the first 14 main storyline missions and a good bit of the side ops and I must say, I really do enjoy this game. There are so many interconnected systems working that it is plain to see why development took so long. The shame of all of this is that after seeing the success of Hitman, the design of this game could work well for something like that. Given the story has largely been excised, I would've liked to have seen an ever expanding list of locals so go and fulton shit out of...but alas.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I just started playing this. I'm usually late to MGS games, and to be honest with you, MGS4 (and the mixed reception among fans for 5) kind of put me off of trying this, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Guess that's what you get for going in with low expectations.

I'm not expecting the story to be amazing, and I'm not expecting the missions to vary that much. I think I'm ready to have a good time with this.

Heard a new NPC conversation last night... About a hostile with a tranquilizer rifle.

https://youtu.be/gjSUgPUCPrk?t=384

Impresses me that even hundreds of hours in, there are still dynamic 'react to your actions' conversations that I somehow had not heard before.

Still, best one for me was when I had not seen many gas masks in a while, and after attacking a few Side Ops en masse with smoke grenade launchers, next time I went into Angola-Zaire from the ACC, the first outpost I went into, there was genuinely over a dozen guards all wearing gas masks. My tactical loadout and plan got thrown out the window pretty fast haha.

Heard a new NPC conversation last night... About a hostile with a tranquilizer rifle.

https://youtu.be/gjSUgPUCPrk?t=384

Impresses me that even hundreds of hours in, there are still dynamic 'react to your actions' conversations that I somehow had not heard before.

this is easily the most reactive and dynamic open world game i have ever played. is there anything that comes close? the PFs are very aware of your presence and play tactics, and constantly adapt themselves accordingly.

just did the mission where you rescue the CIA operative who is on the run in the sand dunes while a bunch of walker gears search for him. there is a side op where you take out the assassin, who is a soldier who doesn't show up unless you stay stealthy and let events unfold as scripted. i really like these style of side ops. they really force you to play conservatively, to fight for every inch and maintain. usually i fail a whole bunch and have to retry the mission, which also means i get better and better at it every time i play.

i am also hunting for animals, which means dropping in and out of heli drop zones in free play and throwing down capture cages before leaving to see what i get. usually there is a side op or something whenever i do this. i like the rescuing animals side plot, i think it fits well with the story here. when questioned about a few animals Kaz will say the meat tastes good but don't get any funny ideas, i like that.

There's a good one too for one of the rare cats... (name started with a c) and Ocelot describes it as beautiful but then he gets a little defensive, 'but not nearly as majestic... as an ocelot.'

One of the more impressive things that actually killed me two nights ago is the reinforcement system, too. I was playing around at the Angola oil refinery, and you can actually pinpoint almost every action in the scouting, spotting, attacking, reinforcing process...

If you snipe from a distance.. you can watch guards call in on their radios, and then manually use binoculars to try spot you. Even if you're well hidden, if you 'fire' they'll spot you (e.g. muzzle flash) and while they won't know your exact physical location, they know where the shot come from then and can send in mortar strikes or an attack team -- but if you snipe that guy with the radio/binoculars, you can prevent them from identifying you. It's not an automatic trigger, there's an actual action that has to take place.

Same for reinforcements... e.g. the oil refinery will actually call Kbiza Camp for reinforcements, and if you speed over there, you can see them begin to run over. The radio call even has to be manually made (you can shoot the guy with the radio to stop it).

He even calls that specific radio location (sometimes if you watch the radio call sub-titles, you'll see them refer to "CP" or '16' -- that 16 refers to a camp on the iDroid map... that's why every guardpost or outpost on the map has a number.

During missions, there is some 'reinforcements spawning out of thin air'... but even that actually has an actual in-game physical act and location. They spawn out of wormholes, just like in FOBs. That happens at OKB Zero... you can actually see the guard reinforcements spawning out of thin air, but they don't just generate randomly -- they literally have to come out of a wormhole. If you get lucky, you can actually see the wormhole appear and reinforcements coming out.

That's usually unique to missions where they would have that technology though (e.g. Cypher at OKB Zero) and not used where they wouldn't have it (e.g. Soviets at OKB Zero).

Neiteio

There's a good one too for one of the rare cats... (name started with a c) and Ocelot describes it as beautiful but then he gets a little defensive, 'but not nearly as majestic... as an ocelot.'

One of the more impressive things that actually killed me two nights ago is the reinforcement system, too. I was playing around at the Angola oil refinery, and you can actually pinpoint almost every action in the scouting, spotting, attacking, reinforcing process...

If you snipe from a distance.. you can watch guards call in on their radios, and then manually use binoculars to try spot you. Even if you're well hidden, if you 'fire' they'll spot you (e.g. muzzle flash) and while they won't know your exact physical location, they know where the shot come from then and can send in mortar strikes or an attack team -- but if you snipe that guy with the radio/binoculars, you can prevent them from identifying you. It's not an automatic trigger, there's an actual action that has to take place.

Same for reinforcements... e.g. the oil refinery will actually call Kbiza Camp for reinforcements, and if you speed over there, you can see them begin to run over. The radio call even has to be manually made (you can shoot the guy with the radio to stop it).

He even calls that specific radio location (sometimes if you watch the radio call sub-titles, you'll see them refer to "CP" or '16' -- that 16 refers to a camp on the iDroid map... that's why every guardpost or outpost on the map has a number.

During missions, there is some 'reinforcements spawning out of thin air'... but even that actually has an actual in-game physical act and location. They spawn out of wormholes, just like in FOBs. That happens at OKB Zero... you can actually see the guard reinforcements spawning out of thin air, but they don't just generate randomly -- they literally have to come out of a wormhole. If you get lucky, you can actually see the wormhole appear and reinforcements coming out.

That's usually unique to missions where they would have that technology though (e.g. Cypher at OKB Zero) and not used where they wouldn't have it (e.g. Soviets at OKB Zero).
WOW! Thanks for sharing these observations — I didn't know a lot of this!

MGSV continues to solidify itself in my mind as a towering achievement of design.

There was an old thread back at release called 'crazy details in MGS V' or something... a lot of that stuff and more is in there. It's a pretty good thread to try dig up and read through after you've beat the game -- since it's more fun to try discover this stuff first but then it's also fun to find things out later, too.

I didn't even know you could disarm-and-hold-up a guard with his own gun until after I had beat the game lol...

I had done dozens of hold ups but the special CQC where you disarm-and-steal an enemy's own gun, I hadn't even figured out Game is just full to the brim with tricks, moves, details, etc.

Maybe if you first power through the game, you wonder, what did the FOX devs spend all their time on... so many years on the game and just 2 maps, the world is wonderful but not really plum full of content (different topic), and the story is... could have more, let's say (to stay topic) so where did the dev hours go? then you sink 100, 200, 200+ hours into the game and you're still finding details, still getting better, and it sort of sinks in -- they spent all that time refining the hell out of the gameplay.

Which sort of highlights how much of a waste it would be not to get more sequels from the engine. It's gotta be one of the most refined gameplay engines around, and even purely from a gamer NON-MGS fan POV, it would be sad to see it not get used again. Hell, outsource it to another dev, hire another 'Platinum' to make another MGR (Metal Gear Venom) whatever, just do DO something with it. Which is the lone reason I'm looking forward to MG Survive, cuz despite whatever I feel about the plot or setting haha it's still the FOX engine ;p

I mean, as stupid as crystallized alternate universe whatever sounds, i gotta admit, killing parasite zombies in MGS V side ops with a shotgun feels gooooood.

The game well and truly does play like a dream. It's a shame the online mode is dying because while it aint perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it sure is fun utilising the controls against other players.

I was super chuffed when I managed to pull this off.

L9rPDp.gif

What are you fucking M. Bison?

That was a badass move btw.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

in ground zeroes the alert system felt weirdly regressive from the previous games, in how a guy in the farthest corner of the map could spot you and somehow the entire base would instantly know where you were. in the context of TPP it suddenly makes total sense why it works like that, with bases being on average smaller than camp omega, and communication being designed to function between outposts rather than be centralized in a single location

so this Infinite Heaven mod sounds pretty amazing. mostly for the ability to take on missions "Subsistence" style! the missions where you must OSP are the most exciting.

does anyone have experience w this mod? i once installed a SweetFX that made it so i couldn't go online anymore for FOB, and ended up uninstalling it for that reason.

is this mod online friendly? or, failing that, how difficult is it to turn off/turn back on in the event i want to do some FOB?

Lunar15

What a disappointment.

Completely agree. It bummed me out more than the actual story. Getting to Chapter 2 and realizing they had run out of ideas, both gameplay wise and story wise hurt real bad.

I really loved Ground Zeroes, but I just felt that TPP didn't really add anything on top of that other than tedium. All of the systems in TPP were asinine, especially the timer for building new things. So regressive. Everything about the game made me feel like it didn't want me to play it.

I could talk for days about how good the actual controls are, though. Brilliant design. I don't really blame Kojima's team all that much for the problems with the game, I think it was just time crunch and Konami being Konami.

LoveCake

I am playing through this now and going for all S ranks (I got the game at launch but ended up trading it in) I have only just found out that you can actually lose Quiet!

I have seen that you can get her back as a buddie if you replay her original mission seven times? I did see this was after patch v1.07 (all systems) I have this on PS4 and have v1.11 but cannot find anything about Quiet after v1.07, so is it still the case that I will have to replay her original mission seven times (does the number vary as I have seen some people say that they have to play more then seven) until the mission name changes.

Does anyone know?

What are you fucking M. Bison?

That was a badass move btw.

Haha, I never noticed the resemblance until now.

Thank you!

I am playing through this now and going for all S ranks (I got the game at launch but ended up trading it in) I have only just found out that you can actually lose Quiet!

I have seen that you can get her back as a buddie if you replay her original mission seven times? I did see this was after patch v1.07 (all systems) I have this on PS4 and have v1.11 but cannot find anything about Quiet after v1.07, so is it still the case that I will have to replay her original mission seven times (does the number vary as I have seen some people say that they have to play more then seven) until the mission name changes.

Does anyone know?

Should still work all the same. You have to beat the mission around 7 times. I can't remember if it was 7 exactly but it was enough for it to get tedious.

LoveCake

Ok thank you, I take it that I don't need the Butterfly icon/emblem I have read/seen people posting/talking about?

Just another thing, I have got one FOB but have 930 of the coins (seem to get some free ones every so often) is there a ranking of the best locations for FOB's?

Just another thing, I have not installed the updates for online play, there are two waiting for me it seems, but I have to download and install them from the PSN store, I have no intention of playing this online, will this mean that I won't get attacked by others, also will it have any adverse effects on my game?

I am enjoying this much more than I did when it originally came out and am glad I got it back again, it just seems that the game has died down a bit now and people have moved on so info is hard to find, glad there are some here who have started playing again.

:)

Ok thank you, I take it that I don't need the Butterfly icon/emblem I have read/seen people posting/talking about?

Just another thing, I have got one FOB but have 930 of the coins (seem to get some free ones every so often) is there a ranking of the best locations for FOB's?

Just another thing, I have not installed the updates for online play, there are two waiting for me it seems, but I have to download and install them from the PSN store, I have no intention of playing this online, will this mean that I won't get attacked by others, also will it have any adverse effects on my game?

I am enjoying this much more than I did when it originally came out and am glad I got it back again, it just seems that the game has died down a bit now and people have moved on so info is hard to find, glad there are some here who have started playing again.

:)

In terms of FOB i'd go for the ones with flame resources and common metal at S rank. Those are the ones you'll need the most.

In regards to not installing the updates i'm not 100% sure how it'll affect your game. I know you won't have access to your online GMP but that honestly depends on how long it's been since you last played the game.

You won't be able to take part in FOB events and you won't be able to develop weapons/items that have been added since launch. FOB events reward you with things like new camos, new weapons and base colours. Also helps a lot with gaining resources faster.

In terms of being invaded. It doesn't happen frequently enough for it to be really a bother. If you don't invade people you're less likely to be invaded yourself. Whenever i've lost resources from FOB invasions I haven't really felt stung or anything. It's usually such a small amount that I barely realise if i'm honest.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't played much of this game, but can someone answer this for me?

Is there ever a point where you're running around the open world fighting an actual metal gear mech? It just seems so hard to imagine from the first couple hours I played. I had just got to the first time you meet quiet. I just have to know if you're ever riding around on Dhorse shooting rockets at a metal gear.

Kindekuma

Banned

Is there ever a point where you're running around the open world fighting an actual metal gear mech? It just seems so hard to imagine from the first couple hours I played. I had just got to the first time you meet quiet. I just have to know if you're ever riding around on Dhorse shooting rockets at a metal gear.

Well. The game is called Metal Gear Solid, and the game takes place in an open world. So...
yes.

Well, you do get to shoot rockets at a metal gear. It's a mission, though, so not so much on the open-world bit, from what I recall.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, you do get to shoot rockets at a metal gear. It's a mission, though, so not so much on the open-world bit, from what I recall.
But it surely takes place in one of the sandbox areas and has tons of agency, right? Or is it all scripted?

Kindekuma

Banned
so this Infinite Heaven mod sounds pretty amazing. mostly for the ability to take on missions "Subsistence" style! the missions where you must OSP are the most exciting.

does anyone have experience w this mod? i once installed a SweetFX that made it so i couldn't go online anymore for FOB, and ended up uninstalling it for that reason.

is this mod online friendly? or, failing that, how difficult is it to turn off/turn back on in the event i want to do some FOB?

Yes! Although this post is several days old I hope you read this. Infinite Heaven is very online friendly. The Infinite Heaven tools actually disable on FOB, so you can't warp/cheat. I've used the mod extensively and I can always go play some FOBs now and then. You'll only get banned (if Konami still cares) by using Cheat Engine and breaking online interaction.

SweetFX (especially the E3 3.0 mod) makes it incredibly hard to see anything that's not in daytime direct sunlight, I don't recommend the mod to play at all, really. Only good for some screenshots, but don't intend on playing through the game with it on all the time otherwise.

You can simply turn the mod on or off using the SnakeBite mod manager, (literally a switch), it can't get any easier.

But it surely takes place in one of the sandbox areas and has tons of agency, right? Or is it all scripted?

There are
two encounters. One in a Ground Zeroes-ish sized map, the other in a huge ass base and then some, none of it's scripted. The AI for it is actually quite impressive.

SkylineRKR

The Brennan with silencer is the best for me.

And yes you need to beat Quiet 7 times and do it in one sitting, so no 3 times and then quit to finish it later. Its tedious as fuck but I did find out I could use lethal weaponry and still got all bonuses and S as well as unlocking her. Much quicker to beat her that way. Just don't execute her when given the choice.

Game is very good bar the story and lack of a decent ending. Gameplay is perfection.

Draper

There was one mission I recall where you had to travel a very long distance to make it to this rock/canyon formation.

It was so damn epic.

Neiteio

There was one mission I recall where you had to travel a very long distance to make it to this rock/canyon formation.

It was so damn epic.
That's probably Mission 6, "Where Do The Bees Sleep," which culminates in you infiltrating the ruins built into the caves at the end of the canyon. First you go through a base built around a massive multi-level bridge spanning a canyon; a hilltop fort and patrolling gunship is also nearby. All of this before the canyon with its two paths (one of which is multi-level), followed by the base camp courtyard in front of the cave ruins. Oh, and you fight Skulls at the end, meet Skull Face and catch your first glimpse of Sahelanthropus, silhouetted in the blue mist like a dinosaur. I also like the bit where you rescue the interpeter. So epic!

My favorite mission is Mission 13, "Pitch Dark." Mfinda Oilfield equals or exceeds Camp Omega in complexity (without any tedious POW visits to a chopper), and takes about a full day in-game to complete, since you must first sneak through a lakeside village and traverse the marshlands in order to reach the oilfield (feel free to rescue or ignore the child soldiers along the way). This mission is endlessly replayable, from the countless points of ingress/egress, to the order in which you do the objectives (i.e. tank first/switch second, or vice-versa, and whether you detonate while still inside the base). Love the premise and atmosphere, too.

Second favorite mission is Mission 28, "Code Talker." Sneaking through the lush jungles, you can duel with the Sniper Skulls, attempt to crawl or run past them, drive a tank straight through enemy lines, or follow the river and climb up multiple cracks near the waterfall to bypass the snipers entirely. The enemies you encounter later depend on how many Skulls you defeated; any surviving Skulls will guard the two escape routes and turn the guards into puppets, and if all Skulls were defeated, you'll encounter mechanized units and active patrols instead. But first, the Fallingwater-esque mansion: Infiltrate from the front or back, from either side of the canyon; explore multiple floors, rooms, halls and decks; the comms equipment is all over the place, and security is tight. Quickest route to the target is through the back. Even includes a classic MGS-style cutscene. Then you can decide whether to escape through the jungles to the north or the river valley to the south. Great mission!

All three of those are superb... Pitch Black is one of my most played. Great set pieces with some sense of travel. A handful of the missions feel a bit like Side Ops whereas those have grand areas mostly designed specifically for them.

Voices is another fave of mine... replayed it recently trying to make make the camera use look movie like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3pI7dZSqI

Total stealth, no HUD... and in general I slowly sneak through, panning the camera, focusing on visual clues, etc.

It's kinda a natural mission to do that.. I did it even the very first time I played the mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AliCwI55VDk

kept looking at the ground, 'woah... is that...? wtf is going on in there'

Kindekuma

Banned

It was so damn epic.

Where Do The Bee's Sleep, Skull Face, and Pitch Dark are among my favorite missions in the game. WDTBS is definitely one of the longer missions, following the mountain path, crossing the bridge or by scaling the rock faces, and making your way into a base into the caves is SO much fun. Lots of terrain variations, sandstorm always kicks in, and various bases to invade along the way makes for a ton of replay value.

Neiteio

That's probably Mission 6, "Where Do The Bees Sleep," which culminates in you infiltrating the ruins built into the caves at the end of the canyon. First you go through a base built around a massive multi-level bridge spanning a canyon. A hilltop fort and patrolling gunship is also nearby. All of this before the canyon with its two paths (one of which is multi-level), followed by the base camp courtyard in front of the cave ruins. Oh, and you fight Skulls at the end, meet Skull Face and catch your first glimpse of Sahelanthropus, silhouetted in the blue mist like a dinosaur. I also like the bit where you rescue the interpeter. So epic!

My favorite mission is Mission 13, "Pitch Dark." Mfinda Oilfield equals or exceeds Camp Omega in complexity (without any tedious POW visits to a chopper), and takes about a full day in-game to complete, since you must first sneak through a lakeside village and traverse the marshlands in order to reach the oilfield (feel free to rescue or ignore the child soldiers along the way). This mission is endlessly replayable, from the countless points of ingress/egress, to the order in which you do the objectives (i.e. tank first/switch second, or vice-versa, and whether you detonate while still inside the base). Love the premise and atmosphere, too.

Second favorite mission is Mission 28, "Code Talker." Sneaking through the lush jungles, you can duel with the Sniper Skulls, attempt to crawl or run past them, drive a tank straight through enemy lines, or follow the river and climb up multiple cracks near the waterfall to bypass the snipers entirely. The enemies you encounter later depend on how many Skulls you defeated; any surviving Skulls will guard the two escape routes and turn the guards into puppets, and if all Skulls were defeated, you'll encounter mechanized units and active patrols instead. But first, the Fallingwater-esque mansion: Infiltrate from the front or back, from either side of the canyon; explore multiple floors, rooms, halls and decks; the comms equipment is all over the place, and security is tight. Quickest route to the target is through the back. Even includes a classic MGS-style cutscene. Then you can decide whether to escape through the jungles to the north or the river valley to the south. Great mission!

All three of those are superb... Pitch Black is one of my most played. Great set pieces with some sense of travel. A handful of the missions feel a bit like Side Ops whereas those have grand areas mostly designed specifically for them.

Voices is another fave of mine... replayed it recently trying to make make the camera use look movie like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3pI7dZSqI

Total stealth, no HUD... and in general I slowly sneak through, panning the camera, focusing on visual clues, etc.

It's kinda a natural mission to do that.. I did it even the very first time I played the mission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AliCwI55VDk

kept looking at the ground, 'woah... is that...? wtf is going on in there'
Oh, and don't forget:

- Hellbound (Mission 12), with the base infiltration to extract Huey, lots of Walker Gears, and the game of hide and seek with the Metal Gear in the mountains (intense!)

- Lingua Franca (Mission 14), with the stilt village in the marshlands connected by boardwalks lined with tiki torches, heavily guarded by snipers; you must stalk the guards and eavesdrop and rescue the viscount before his execution -- a Navy SEALS-esque infiltration

- Blood Runs Deep (Mission 18), where you raid the plantation for the one soldier (extract or eliminate him) and then sneak into the sprawling mining quarry, either through the front entrance or via the swampy canyon to the rear, rescuing the captive child soldiers

- Skull Face (Mission 30), set in OKB Zero, one of the finest levels in the entire series, evading searchlights and walker gears and snipers and sentries while navigating a complex weave of ruins, rugged terrain, rock climbing, locked buildings, alleyways, stairwells and rooftops. Followed by Mission 31's epic showdown with Sahelanthropus.

All of this stole the show for me, along with missions 6, 13, 20 and 28. Also really enjoyed the methodical extraction of child soldiers from the lakeside village and boat brawl with Eli in White Mamba (Mission 23).

Then when you include Ground Zeroes, which is also labeled MGSV and is essentially its MGS2-style tanker chapter... Goddamn, MGSV is incredible.

Kindekuma

Banned
Oh, and don't forget:

- Lingua Franca (Mission 14), with the stilt village in the marshlands connected by boardwalks lined with tiki torches, heavily guarded by snipers; you must stalk the guards and eavesdrop and rescue the viscount before his execution -- a Navy SEALS-esque infiltration

Man FUCK Lingua Franca. The scripted dialogue events are so easy to break, if you need to get all of the events to work out you have to completely ghost it. Can't take out one single guard, or else the entire base goes on defense and you're screwed.

I would like to revisit MGSV as well but I am holding on to hope we will get a PS4 Pro upgrade patch. If it happens I will be ALL OVER IT!

Why? It's already 1080p 60FPS locked. The game looks and runs phenomenally, don't let a patch that likely won't happen keep you from playing the game. That's just silly.

Neiteio

I would like to revisit MGSV as well but I am holding on to hope we will get a PS4 Pro upgrade patch. If it happens I will be ALL OVER IT!
MGSV already runs at a rock-solid 1080p 60fps, with nice image quality, to boot. What exactly would a PS4 Pro patch improve? The Fox Engine is godly. MGSV is straight-up one of the best-looking console games, both in terms of performance and artistry.

Man FUCK Lingua Franca. The scripted dialogue events are so easy to break, if you need to get all of the events to work out you have to completely ghost it. Can't take out one single guard, or else the entire base goes on defense and you're screwed.
I like the fact you have to completely ghost it. Combined with the swampy terrain under cover of darkness, weaving over and under boardwalks, it's a satisfying challenge trying to crawl past the snipers and reach each scripted conversation in time to eavesdrop. I have vivid memories of it, lying in the brush just beyond the light of the torches. When I finally reached the viscount, I let out a sigh of relief. Brutally difficult, but satisfying. <3

The sense of journey in Bees is pretty awesome. The most 'Snake Eater' mission in the game. Loved sneaking through that mountain pass station... you can go through there a few different ways. You can rock climb up either side of the bridge, cross on the other side of the bridge along the mountainside, or use any of the different levels of the bridge itself. Probably one of my favorite 'bases' in a MGS game. Especially the bridge, the Soviet paintings along the wall you can climb,etc.
https://youtu.be/8T8SCd5EvJc?t=642

There's so many small little areas you never notice, too... Like, at the Palace/Mission 10, there's actually a cliff on the far back right side (north west) that gets you up as high as the roof of the palace. I never noticed it for so long because all the missions genuinely approach you from the south, but I found it trying to find the scout XOF assassin during Mission 32.

Then, OKB Zero has a small sewer...
https://youtu.be/ltUvPWMxjB4?t=2458
the oil refinery even has the short water tunnel, too..
https://youtu.be/AsGxKgDGNv4?t=1373
I never noticed that for ages either.

Even the world itself... somehow I barely had even seen this place in the bottom south west of Angola....

https://youtu.be/qQVlpqHfG4c?t=1870

Nothing there, but I dunno for me I just love finding nicely crafted little areas of landscaping, couldn't care less if there's 'content' there or not. Just looks cool. I appreciate that the game goes out of its way, rather than just to house content, to have small farms, buildings, fields, etc just for the sake of building a sense of space.

Why? It's already 1080p 60FPS locked. The game looks and runs phenomenally, don't let a patch that likely won't happen keep you from playing the game. That's just silly.

MGSV already runs at a rock-solid 1080p 60fps, with nice image quality, to boot. What exactly would a PS4 Pro patch improve? The Fox Engine is godly.

Both great points! I have already played through the game once (Put in 100+ hrs) and would like to revisit it sometime in the next couple months. I would hate to do that, then find out there is a PS4 Pro patch with upgraded Details, shadows, etc. I know the Fox engine is crazy good and the game already runs well but if they pump it up with better settings and higher res than I would like to experience it that way as well.

small chance of it happening yes, but I am just going to wait it out. I will likely replay it no matter what :)

Neiteio

The sense of journey in Bees is pretty awesome. The most 'Snake Eater' mission in the game. Loved sneaking through that mountain pass station... you can go through there a few different ways. You can rock climb up either side of the bridge, cross on the other side of the bridge along the mountainside, or use any of the different levels of the bridge itself. Probably one of my favorite 'bases' in a MGS game. Especially the bridge, the Soviet paintings along the wall you can climb,etc.
https://youtu.be/8T8SCd5EvJc?t=642

There's so many small little areas you never notice, too... Like, at the Palace/Mission 10, there's actually a cliff on the far back right side (north west) that gets you up as high as the roof of the palace. I never noticed it for so long because all the missions genuinely approach you from the south, but I found it trying to find the scout XOF assassin during Mission 32.

Then, OKB Zero has a small sewer...
https://youtu.be/ltUvPWMxjB4?t=2458
the oil refinery even has the short water tunnel, too..
https://youtu.be/AsGxKgDGNv4?t=1373
I never noticed that for ages either.

Even the world itself... somehow I barely had even seen this place in the bottom south west of Angola....

https://youtu.be/qQVlpqHfG4c?t=1870

Nothing there, but I dunno for me I just love finding nicely crafted little areas of landscaping, couldn't care less if there's 'content' there or not. Just looks cool. I appreciate that the game goes out of its way, rather than just to house content, to have small farms, buildings, fields, etc just for the sake of building a sense of space.
Oh wow, I've played OKB Zero countless times but I never knew about the sewer entrance! :-O And watching your video featuring the Soviet wall paintings, I didn't know you could collapse the towers using the anti-air gun!

I did know about the sewer entrance in Mfinda Oilfield, though. However, I didn't discover it until I had already played ~20 times!

One of my favorite locations is this one village in Afghanistan... It has incredible design but only plays a minimal role in one mission... Essentially, it's a sprawling village built into a terraced hillside. Very dense, with many buildings on struts, sandwiched close together, their roofs and balconies overlapping each other, and steep alleyways snaking up and around them, making for blind corners. There's a base across the road down below, and lights lining the hills you can shoot out for cover of darkness. You can enter many of the buildings through windows along the walkways, and if you approach from one end you can climb the mountains and enter via the rooftops or snipe the guards down below (but it's hard to spot many of them, thanks to the complicated tangle of buildings).

Anyone recall the name of this village? Like many locations in Afghanistan, it's hard to remember the name since it's another language. It's great design!

Top Bottom