• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beenox working on The Amazing Spider-Man 2; more details today at NYCC

Drayco21

Genuine hype. The first game was a lot of fun, and while I still want Beenox to take the foundation set by it and make a good comic based game, I'll still be on board day oneish for a PS4 sequel.

Hopefully Kaine is still an unlockable costume and playable Stan Lee returns, because those were both the greatest things ever.

Pls have a real swinging system. Even if you don't copy Spider-Man 2 down to the ground, at least give the player manual control. The 'swinging' in the last game is just flying while watching Spidey do totally unrelated swinging animations.

Solidone

Neo Member
Ok, apparantly some at Beenox had the most amazing idea to release a trailer for the current gen ver of this game, hence, why it looks like shit, well, looks terrible even for current gen standards.

Apparently they're going to release a trailer for the next gen ver as well.

756139-jeu-permettra-affronter-nouveaux-vilains.jpg

SykoTech

I'm shocked there's no Spider-Man game this year, 1st time in since 2009.

Hopefully that's a good thing. Beenox throwing together Edge in Time for the Fall and then pumping out ASM less than a year later probably played a hand in both games turning out so mediocre. I know they said that they split them up into 2 teams to do it, but they probably spread themselves too thin.

That teaser doesn't give me much confidence tough.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Is the lack of momentum based swinging really that big of a deal?

As someone who was a QA Tester for Spider-Man 2 back in the day, the swinging system was the sole redeeming factor of that POS game.

The combat mechanics of Web of Shadows, and Amazing Spider-Man, combined with the swing engine of Spider-Man 2 would be the perfect core for an amazing Spider-Man game. As far as setting goes, I'd base the game narrative and mission structure around the best storylines in Spider-Man's history, only altering things where character licenses may prove problematic.

A long time ago, I wrote a treatment for Activision during one of our "Hey, employees, write a concept for your ideal game" things they did, and I wrote a Spider-Man game treatment that is suspiciously similar to what Beenox is doing with this one...

BeberMan

Neo Member
Just pretend there's a lot of helicopters around Spidey, guys.

LOL, this,

The first was actually really really good. Combat was satisfying, as was the swinging mechanic, and the whole game actually felt polished and fast paced. I happily pair it with Web Of Shadows for the best Spiderman games ever.
Yeah I beat Spidey 2 and have no idea what everybody's clinging on.

strobogo

Banned
Even in movies and cartoons, it sure seemed like Spidey has a helicopter following him that he swings from. I don't see why it is a big deal, especially not a game breaker.

Mr. Sam

Even in movies and cartoons, it sure seemed like Spidey has a helicopter following him that he swings from. I don't see why it is a big deal, especially not a game breaker.

It's not it being unrealistic that bothers me, it's being un-fun. The sensation of swinging in Spider-Man 2 was awe-inspiring. Every Spider-Man game before or since feels lacking.

Ok, apparantly some at Beenox had the most amazing idea to release a trailer for the current gen ver of this game, hence, why it looks like shit, well, looks terrible even for current gen standards.

Apparently they're going to release a trailer for the next gen ver as well.

756139-jeu-permettra-affronter-nouveaux-vilains.jpg

Spider-Man look like he has bitch tits.

Since theirs is a published product on Wii titled Quantum of Solace, they clearly had time and resources.
You're clearly living off in your own little fantasy land, so I apologize for misunderstanding that and basing my argument on the real world. That was my mistake.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Heard last year Beenox went on a hiring spree for experienced Ubisoft people because they really wanted to up the quality ante on post-Amazing Spider-Man 1 projects, but I guess studio management were so set in their ways that the Ubi people couldn't do anything really interesting or innovative. However, the studio's long-time president left last December to concentrate on his chocolates business, so maybe the new management (which is not really that new) might be improvement?

This could be good, this could be mediocre or terrible—I have no idea which it will be, honestly.

Trigger

But why? I don't think it makes a difference in the game at all. It didn't make a difference in any SM game I've played.

Depends on the game. It makes all the difference in an open-world game where traversal of a large city is a selling point. Doesn't matter much though if it's just some brawler with a closed level design.

Possum

I'm calling an April 29 release date; it's the Tuesday before the movie's Friday release on May 2, so it really is the only sensible time to release.

Hopefully that's a good thing. Beenox throwing together Edge in Time for the Fall and then pumping out ASM less than a year later probably played a hand in both games turning out so mediocre. I know they said that they split them up into 2 teams to do it, but they probably spread themselves too thin.

That teaser doesn't give me much confidence tough.

and they didn't get enough time to do ASM2 either, I mean they just released ASM in 2012, and now a sequel is expected t be in 2014 for all major platforms, 2 years seem not much, making me doubt the quality.

The teaser is worse than the first ASM.

Some Nobody

Can I just have Shattered Dimensions 2? That was a really good game.

I'm not terribly interested in an open-world Spider-Man game until they pull away from these movies and do one based on the comics. Spider-Man could and should easily have its own Arkham-level game with his huge cast of characters and how easy it is to bring him to life in a game.

Fire4444

Neo Member
I played through the first one 2 weeks ago, and it blew. I had zero expectations going it, and it turned out to be one of the worst games that I've played in years.

SykoTech

Those tweets sound promising. Need to see some gameplay before getting excited.

What is their record on spider man games now? 1 out of 3 are good? (that one being shattered dimensions)

Yes.

and they didn't get enough time to do ASM2 either, I mean they just released ASM in 2012, and now a sequel is expected t be in 2014 for all major platforms, 2 years seem not much, making me doubt the quality.

The teaser is worse than the first ASM.

Well, I think 2 years could be enough time. The Batman Arkham games are 2 years apart, and they were both good games. Most "AAA" games these days are spaced 2 years apart, like the Uncharted trilogy for example. It's not all the time in the world, but it should be enough time to make a good game.

Though Beenox apparently did a port of the Skylanders game just this year, Who knows what else Activision has been making them do between games like this.

Elija2

More details.

ASM's web didn't even attach to buildings? Come on, guys.

I can't just hate on them though. Web of Shadows didn't have web sticking to buildings either and that game was still made by Treyarch. I don't understand how the ability to make webs stick to buildings became so hard to implement. Ultimate Spider-Man had it. I guess when going to next-gen they had to make a new engine and they just didn't bother properly porting that feature.

But why? I don't think it makes a difference in the game at all. It didn't make a difference in any SM game I've played.

No momentum and cloud swinging aren't the problem by themselves, they're just the easiest way to talk about it. In SM2, you navigate the city by aiming a web at a building in front of you, then waiting for gravity and momentum to take over, then when the time is right you press the jump button to let go of the web. If you want to hang a left, you web a building to the left of you and let your momentum carry you around the corner. That's the most basic form of it, but as you go through the game you gain the ability to boost at any point in a swing, web-zip (yank yourself forward), wall-run, wall-jump, wall-crawl, do crazy acrobatics between swings, and from then on you realise you have such incredible control over what Spidey can do. You gain speed by letting go of your web at the fastest part of your swing, or gain height by letting go right at the top, and you're constantly sprinting along walls or bouncing between buildings just for fun.

Subsequent games cut out mechanics one by one, until Amazing Spider-Man came around where you hold the right trigger and point the left analogue stick. There's no swinging system there at all. The fact that he swings from clouds is totally irrelevant when he might as well just be a helicopter.

PureGone

Banned
I really didn't like the first one, never beat the game.

Spider-Man 2 on the other hand was amazing and part of it was because of the web physics.

Cautiously looking forward to this

I enjoyed the first one despite its weird swinging mechanics, I think I just like swinging around a city , if only the city could be more varied and more missions, imagine gta5 like unique city locations plus swinging .

Spinluck

Spider-Man 2 was great. Probably my favorite Spidey game alongside Shattered Dimensions and Ultimate Spider-Man.

All these games could be easily topped by a Spider-Man game with some real production value and more talented devs. I don't mind the Peter Parker investigation implementation, as long as it isn't a fucking drag and is actually fun..

Everything else sounds good, but I feel like the it'll be another budget effort. 2yrs is enough to get the fidelity there, but they are still a pretty unproven developer that don't have enough quality games under their belt.

My dream Spider-Man game would be made by Sucker Punch if I had to choose. But that will never happen, so for now I'm just gonna hope Beenox don't fuck this up. But I'll be damned before I bet all my chips on a movie tie-in being good. It's too rare.

The web swinging mechanic isn't the problem with open world Spiderman games. It's New York itself. It just becomes this boring hub world filled with mundane side missions to pad time. They really need to set it in some universe like 2099 or Noir so they have the freedom to mold the city however they want so it becomes a character like Gotham is in the Batman games.

Top Bottom