• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beenox working on The Amazing Spider-Man 2; more details today at NYCC

Their Spider-Man licensed was signed until 2017 when they signed it back in 2005.
Ah okay. I suppose it makes sense to capitalize on the license given how long they still have it and that there'll be a new movie out alongside it.

I think their Walking Dead game underperformed. And it was basically indicated there'd be no more James Bond games.

Any idea how much longer they hold the X-Men license? I'd love for someone to take that property and do something worthwhile with it again.

V_Ben

Banned
Real web swinging launches this right up my list. If they get the momentum right, I'll be happy. Give me the SM2 controls too, so I can get my slingshot on.

Pachimari

I'm super excited to get my first Spider-Man game for PlayStation 4.

I like the sound of us swinging with the left and right trigger, and I'm curious about the Peter Parker segments. A bigger Manhattan with more density and detail sounds great.

When do we get the teaser trailer for the next-gen version?

More details on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 have come out of the New York Comic Con. For the latest on the recently-announced video game, check out the summary below.

- Game will be released just before the film
- Sequel to the first game
- Movie set up the first game
- Movies and games are now going their own way
- Some key moments from the second film will be adapted for the game
- What happened in the first game is not canon for the second film
- Light RPG elements
- Tweaked combat and web-slinging
- Different webbing types: typical impact webbing, regular vanilla webbing, cryo-webbing
- “Some people complained that the webs didn’t attach to the buildings and they’re going to do that now.”
- Web-sling with the right and left triggers to control
- More detailed Manhattan
- Spider-Man universe things will be in the game, like The Kingpin’s Fisk Tower
- More action in the open world this time around
- Controlling Peter Park will be more than just taking photos
- Sometimes take on the role of an investigative journalist
- Play as Spider-Man for most of the game

http://gamingeverything.com/another-round-of-the-amazing-spider-man-2-details/
http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/12/4831670/spider-man-2-expands-manhattan-improves-web-slinging

Webswing with right and left triggers =/
I liked the Spider-Man 2 control scheme for webswinging, why can't they go with that...

Just give me SM2's swinging and Web of Shadows' combat and I'll be a happy spider (Enter Electro's suit customization and variety would be pretty ace too)

I have a feeling they are still going to mess up the slinging with that automated web rush button or some other crap. They should just copy Spider-man 2's system, and add more camera modes and superfluous animations.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With the return of proper web swinging mechanics, this might be the first Spider-Man game I buy since SM2 (unless the rest of the game is crap, of course). I refused to buy the last one with its magic sky-swinging. It's by far the most important mechanic of a SM game, and it needs to be solid or I'm not buying it.

No momentum and cloud swinging aren't the problem by themselves, they're just the easiest way to talk about it. In SM2, you navigate the city by aiming a web at a building in front of you, then waiting for gravity and momentum to take over, then when the time is right you press the jump button to let go of the web. If you want to hang a left, you web a building to the left of you and let your momentum carry you around the corner. That's the most basic form of it, but as you go through the game you gain the ability to boost at any point in a swing, web-zip (yank yourself forward), wall-run, wall-jump, wall-crawl, do crazy acrobatics between swings, and from then on you realise you have such incredible control over what Spidey can do. You gain speed by letting go of your web at the fastest part of your swing, or gain height by letting go right at the top, and you're constantly sprinting along walls or bouncing between buildings just for fun.

Subsequent games cut out mechanics one by one, until Amazing Spider-Man came around where you hold the right trigger and point the left analogue stick. There's no swinging system there at all. The fact that he swings from clouds is totally irrelevant when he might as well just be a helicopter.

I hate how people & reviewers never mention any of this. Like it was completely irrelevant to the series.
Hey, he wears a costumes, isn't that all that matters for a Spider-Man game?

I enjoyed the crap outta the first one and <3 Beenox's entries into the Spider-Man IP, so I'm all over this.

Already decided I'll be playing through ASM on the Vita again when it's released.

Some Nobody

The web swinging mechanic isn't the problem with open world Spiderman games. It's New York itself. It just becomes this boring hub world filled with mundane side missions to pad time. They really need to set it in some universe like 2099 or Noir so they have the freedom to mold the city however they want so it becomes a character like Gotham is in the Batman games.

Not that I'd mind a game set in 2099 or Noir (this conversation makes me want to replay Shattered Dimensions), but this isn't necessary. The bottom line is that Marvel's New York is one of the most interesting locales in fiction. If you can't make it as interesting as Gotham with its exaggerated Halloween cast of misfits, that's on you.

And yeah, there are probably some rights issues that mean Spider-Man can't be in a game with other Marvel heroes, but even if that's the case the Spider-Man comics should prove to you that his world is so freaking huge there's no excuse for an open-world game about Spider-Man to be boring. He's got dozens of super-villains, a cast of characters both as Peter Parker and as Spider-Man to interact with--he's even got other heroes he can hang out with like Scarlet Spider.

Also: The Peter Parker thing is interesting. Honestly there's no reason why superhero games shouldn't try to make both sides of a character's life interesting to me.

Marc

The first game was utter junk, I couldn't even finish it, and sold it very quickly.

I have no faith in Beenox, but if reviews and fan views on it are positive I might give it a look. Although they were positive last time so hard to trust people, I mean they made a button that played the game for you...

Plus the webswinging and combat was dire.

It would be so easy to make a great Spidey game, one based on the comics, not the rubbish films or god forbid that 'ultimate' nonsense.

The first game was utter junk, I couldn't even finish it, and sold it very quickly.

I have no faith in Beenox, but if reviews and fan views on it are positive I might give it a look. Although they were positive last time so hard to trust people, I mean they made a button that played the game for you...

Plus the webswinging and combat was dire.

It would be so easy to make a great Spidey game, one based on the comics, not the rubbish films or god forbid that 'ultimate' nonsense.

But they are focus testing if adding skill to their mechanics will be a thing!
How can you not be hyped?

Not that I'd mind a game set in 2099 or Noir (this conversation makes me want to replay Shattered Dimensions), but this isn't necessary. The bottom line is that Marvel's New York is one of the most interesting locales in fiction. If you can't make it as interesting as Gotham with its exaggerated Halloween cast of misfits, that's on you.

And yeah, there are probably some rights issues that mean Spider-Man can't be in a game with other Marvel heroes, but even if that's the case the Spider-Man comics should prove to you that his world is so freaking huge there's no excuse for an open-world game about Spider-Man to be boring. He's got dozens of super-villains, a cast of characters both as Peter Parker and as Spider-Man to interact with--he's even got other heroes he can hang out with like Scarlet Spider.

Also: The Peter Parker thing is interesting. Honestly there's no reason why superhero games shouldn't try to make both sides of a character's life interesting to me.

Yup, Marvel's New York is awesome. The Manhattan we got in the first game was one of the worst open worlds I ever experienced. Every piece of interesting flair that they presented through photo missions like the homages to different villains were swiftly removed after that particular mission was finished. The New York we got in Ultimate Spider-Man is still one of the most interesting worlds in terms of things to see (not do) I've played. That is one reason why I want a game that fully embraces the comic book license. It doesn't matter that New York has been done to death when that New York is so different. There are a lot of things we could see that can't be put into any other game. (Except other Marvel games.) Avengers Tower, Avengers Mansion, Fisk Tower and Oscorp (I know this is in the game). Horizon Labs, Baxter Building, Dr. Strange's house, Empire State University, Shadowland and so on. Instead we got a boring, dead island full of look-a-like buildings. I mean only going from the 616 universe the world creates itself. Put Millie The Model and Mary Jane on billboards for example. I mean it's all there.

The things they talk about all sound interesting, but I just can't muster up any interest. On the other hand the last game sounded interesting on paper as well but that didn't do it any good.

People were going on about how the swinging in the last game were supposed to be great as well, in stead it regressed to a system that was basically what they used in the first movie game back in 2002. And wow at "some people" complaining that the webs didn't attach to anything. One of the best mechanics in gaming and the devs can't figure out why people liked it.

Some Nobody

Yup, Marvel's New York is awesome. The Manhattan we got in the first game was one of the worst open worlds I ever experienced. Every piece of interesting flair that they presented through photo missions like the homages to different villains were swiftly removed after that particular mission was finished. The New York we got in Ultimate Spider-Man is still one of the most interesting worlds in terms of things to see (not do) I've played. That is one reason why I want a game that fully embraces the comic book license. It doesn't matter that New York has been done to death when that New York is so different. There are a lot of things we could see that can't be put into any other game. (Except other Marvel games.) Avengers Tower, Avengers Mansion, Fisk Tower and Oscorp (I know this is in the game). Horizon Labs, Baxter Building, Dr. Strange's house, Empire State University, Shadowland and so on. Instead we got a boring, dead island full of look-a-like buildings. I mean only going from the 616 universe the world creates itself. Put Millie The Model and Mary Jane on billboards for example. I mean it's all there.

The things they talk about all sound interesting, but I just can't muster up any interest. On the other hand the last game sounded interesting on paper as well but that didn't do it any good.

This guy gets it. Everytime I see "regular" New York instead of crazy as balls Marvel New York, I wonder if its a rights issue, a lack of funding, or are developers just being stuck with shitty "movie Spider-Man" and his world.

NotLiquid

The mentioned improvements sound good on paper but I'm still incredibly cautious. Web sticking on buildings is one step in the right direction but the most critical part as to why that aspect is important was the momentum and gravity that was in play. Web of Shadows lacking this was what made it a vast downgrade from SM2.

Will have to see more of it.

The things that makes me the most sad is that if Beenox hasn't secretly worked on a 616 game we won't have that at least until 2020. They're gonna keep making movie tie-ins until the contract expires in 2017 and then there will be at least 3 years for a new game to be released. When Beenox was appointed to be in charge of the Spider-Man license I expected them to build there own universe akin to the Arkham-verse. I guess they are doing it but based on the movies instead of the comics which sucks.

The things that makes me the most sad is that if Beenox hasn't secretly worked on a 616 game we won't have that at least until 2020. They're gonna keep making movie tie-ins until the contract expires in 2017 and then there will be at least 3 years for a new game to be released. When Beenox was appointed to be in charge of the Spider-Man license I expected them to build there own universe akin to the Arkham-verse. I guess they are doing it but based on the movies instead of the comics which sucks.

I think it is more Activision than Beenox, after all Beenox tried doing what you said with Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time, but Activision is all about hype and cash tie-in, so developing a game that goes along side the movie is the way to go, hence why they would want Beenox to make a game related to the movies, then a sequel to that goes with the movie sequel as well, and so on.

People keep saying that "they want want Arkham Spider-man game" . Meaning the care and dedication like the arkham games. Also a universe not around the movies. But i think its harder for spider-man. You cant put that kind of detail in an open word NYC game with the budget and restraints this developers has. It just cant happen, something needs to be cut.

They basically copied Arkham combat and it pretty poor . Swinging was dull. The city was Lifeless. Graphically it was subpar. Story was bad ( not their fault though had to follow movie).

I know they cant fix all these things , so what do they fix?

Marc

Focus testing? Well, what could go wrong? *cough*Xbox One*cough*

:)

Yep, any Spidey developer should go and pick up a copy of 'Marvels' to get an idea of how crazy New York is in Marvel. And even if Activision lost the rights to other Marvel characters (??), the spidey'verse is by far the best anyway. He has so many heroes and villains, the likes of the Punisher and Daredevil have to break off or steal them. Surely Activision has tons of New York assets to ease the development cycle, don't need to do it from scratch. Or hell, offer Rockstar some dosh for GTA4 New York and just update it for Marvel.

Like I said, forget the movies and make a comics Spidey game with all the major plot points. I would make it RPG'ish, Persona 4 like for Peter Parker going around and getting to know characters and building up relationships to unlock skills or missions. With a major emphasis on random events, from small stuff likes erm... balloons going missing to Galactus/Tri-Sentinel/Sinister Six wrecking the place. Imagine being in your apartment and looking out the window to see Galactus or someone walking around.

As for the Arkham mentions, what I don't understand about these games is where activision thinks they won't see a return on their investment. They have given some of the more recent games zero effort. The ASM game made about 1 million is sales in total apparently (rubbish), Spidey 2 made 5.6 million in sales. Clearly the fans want something more like that. The Batman Arkham games, city specifically, made 8.5 million in sales. If they bothered to make a great game and invested heavily in make a great game, they will see a much greater return. Spidey could potentially make even more money as it can appeal more to kids without being a kiddy game.

Solidone

Neo Member
FFS Beenox!

How long does it take to edit a trailer!?

Apparently they have a next gen trailer coming up. They said they saw the first cut 2 weeks ago. How long does it take to edit a damn trailer? I could do it in 3 friggin days.

This game comes out in late april or early may and still no proper trailer.

Any way for gaffers to get their attention? they got the trailer, but won't say shit when It'll pop up, all they say is stupid shit like stay tuned, it's coming.

Well I've been staying tuned and aint got shit.

Start massivly posting in this thread so it catches their attention :D

Beeeennnoooxx!

JDSN

Banned
The only piece of relevant information when facing a new Spiderman game is the following:

Is Jaime Fristrom working or not in this game?

Solidone

Neo Member
The only piece of relevant information when facing a new Spiderman game is the following:

Is Jaime Fristrom working or not in this game?

Probably not, no.

But they do have webbing attaching to buildings now, so at least that's something.

Just wish they would release something already. No concept art, no screenshots, all we got was that crap curent gen trailer.

Elvick

Banned
Subsequent games cut out mechanics one by one, until Amazing Spider-Man came around where you hold the right trigger and point the left analogue stick. There's no swinging system there at all. The fact that he swings from clouds is totally irrelevant when he might as well just be a helicopter.
Did you even play The Amazing Spider-Man?

I've platinum'd it on PS3 and Vita.

Yes you swing from clouds, but it's still got momentum and it's got a set of rules. You can't go very high in a park, because the web doesn't let you go much higher than the things around you. It's an odd rule, but it exists. You can't just "fly" around like a helicopter.

That's dumb. Plus, web rush is the better way to move in the open world anyway.

noah111

Still Alive
What does it mean that webbing is controlled by both triggers now? Each trigger corresponds to a hand, or what?

Not holding my breath for this one but here's to hoping it'll be better than the first.
I miss SM2 ;(

Solidone

Neo Member
What does it mean that webbing is controlled by both triggers now? Each trigger corresponds to a hand, or what?

Not holding my breath for this one but here's to hoping it'll be better than the first.
I miss SM2 ;(

Yes, that's what they said.

I keep buying these spider-man games on ps3

hoping one of them will be good

Shattered Dimensions is excellent

the rest are just ok

the amazing spiderman game was ok hub world was so boring and the game is repetitive

Top Bottom