• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Being male or overweight can lead to more serious COVID-19 hospital admissions

cryptoadam

Banned

The findings come from a study of almost 17,000 patients with COVID-19, in which researchers from three universities, including Imperial, aim to answer important questions about the course of and risk factors for the disease.

According to the Department of Health and Social Care, COVID-19 can be more severe in older people and people with chronic heart, lung, and kidney disease, a weakened immune system, diabetes, and some cancers. However, less is known about how the virus exploits age, sex and other underlying health conditions.

In an effort to better understand who is most severely affected by the virus, what happens to them in hospital and why some people have better outcomes than others, ISARIC4C, a consortium of researchers from Imperial College London, the University of Liverpool, and the University of Edinburgh, analysed data obtained from 16,749 COVID-19 patients in the UK.

The researchers have found that after adjusting for other medical problems such as lung, heart and kidney disease that are already known to cause poor outcomes, being male or obese (with a BMI over 30) is a significant factor associated with death in UK hospitals, a feature not seen in China, where it is thought that fewer people are obese.

HoodWinked

ya it does seem to be a strong factor, western diet countries like Italy, America, Spain, France, UK are among the countries with the highest number of deaths.

but ya its hard to compare country to country because the reporting is inconsistent between countries.

This is partly why I have been doing two cardio sessions every day over the last month. I have only lost a little under 5 pounds in the time (my 4th weigh in was this morning) but overall I just feel a lot better in general.

I don't know if the little workouts I do actually help boost my immunity to any virus but they can't hurt, right?

Moogle11

Banned
So this virus is misogynist?

Lol. Most are. Almost all hit men harder as women have stronger immune systems due to adaptations for child rearing. Women get hit much more often and harder by autoimmune disorders though where that stronger immune system attacks their bodies.

NeoGiffer

The findings come from a study of almost 17,000 patients with COVID-19, in which researchers from three universities, including Imperial, aim to answer important questions about the course of and risk factors for the disease.

According to the Department of Health and Social Care, COVID-19 can be more severe in older people and people with chronic heart, lung, and kidney disease, a weakened immune system, diabetes, and some cancers. However, less is known about how the virus exploits age, sex and other underlying health conditions.

In an effort to better understand who is most severely affected by the virus, what happens to them in hospital and why some people have better outcomes than others, ISARIC4C, a consortium of researchers from Imperial College London, the University of Liverpool, and the University of Edinburgh, analysed data obtained from 16,749 COVID-19 patients in the UK.

The researchers have found that after adjusting for other medical problems such as lung, heart and kidney disease that are already known to cause poor outcomes, being male or obese (with a BMI over 30) is a significant factor associated with death in UK hospitals, a feature not seen in China, where it is thought that fewer people are obese.

giphy.gif

TacosNSalsa

I feel it should be obvious why obese people are affect more.I had a heart attack at 38 and had to have surgery . I was overweight but not obese and I remember my surgeon telling me that weight affects almost everything in your body and complicates things even more for them .Breathing , heart function , liver function , kidney function are all taxed more because of your increased mass.Surgery is more complicated because they have to cut through more tissue to get to your body . Even the logistics are impacted as they need more doctors , nurses , security guards , janitors , lunch ladies , to move your big a$$ around . I'm shocked anyone is shocked at this

zeorhymer

They forgot being a smoker, drinker, having asthma, cancer, HIV, diabetes, previous heart attack, stroke, also a few other things I forgot to mention also increases CV hospital admissions.

cryptoadam

Banned
They forgot being a smoker, drinker, having asthma, cancer, HIV, diabetes, previous heart attack, stroke, also a few other things I forgot to mention also increases CV hospital admissions.

for some strange reason smokers are underrepresented for CV patients. So much so France is even looking to using nicotine to treat CV.

Malakhov

Banned
And if you add other health problems like diabetes or high blood pressure then it's not getting any better.

Techies

That report actually includes smokers, in the mortality rate.
They are right under obesity, but significantly lower

Tattoos help your immune system. Therefore, get face tattoos and beat COVID-19. Overweight males with tattoos on their face are in this year.

Top Bottom