• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bellator MMA: Rampage vs. Tito |OT| Just kidding, Tito is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

s7s0OQN.jpg

Bellator MMA: Rampage vs. Tito Bellator 106: Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez IIhttp://www.sherdog.com/events/Bellator-MMA-Bellator-106-31645
Date: Saturday, November 2nd, 2013
Venue: Long Beach Convention Center

MAIN CARD - 9:00 PM Eastern / 6:00 PM Pacific on pay-per-view Spike

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Jacob "Tito" Ortiz
Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez II - for lightweight title
Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Emanuel Newton II - for interim light heavyweight title
Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus II - for featherweight title
Cheick Kongo vs. Vinicius Queiroz - Bellator Season 9 heavyweight tournament final
Joe "Diesel" Riggs vs. Mike Bronzoulis - "Fight Master: Bellator MMA" tournament final
Mike Richman vs. Akop Stepanyan

PRELIMINARY CARD - 7:00 PM Eastern / 4:00 PM Pacific, free on Spike.com

Terry Etim vs. Patrick Cenoble
Cristiano Souza vs. Karo Parisyan Alejandro Garcia
Jesse Juarez vs. Joe Williams
Brandon Halsey vs. Hector Ramirez
Mike Guymon vs. Aaron Miller
Joe Camacho vs. Cleber Luciano
Darren Smith vs. Josh Smith

Weigh-In (Friday, 8:00 PM Eastern)
Event Trailer
Fight: Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez
Fight: Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus
Bellator Moment: Emanuel Newton knocks out King Mo

"I’ve got bad news, and I’ve got great news," began Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney. "The bad news is that I can confirm that Tito has fractured his neck and will be unable to fight next Saturday. His doctors confirmed that fighting with Tito right now could have dire consequences, so Tito is off the card and our thoughts and prayers are with him in what we hope will be a great and full recovery.

"The great news that I’ve got, because I’ve got the greatest partners on Earth at Spike and Viacom like Kevin Kay and people like Wade Davis, we’re going to give Chandler-Alvarez II for the lightweight title, [Muhammad Lawal] versus [Emanuel] Newton II for the light heavyweight interim world title, [Pat] Curran versus [Daniel] Strauss II for the featherweight world title, and a bevy of other really great fights, all to the best MMA fans on Earth, for free on Spike TV, Saturday night at 9 o’clock Eastern time."

"We will do pay-per-views -- there will be PPVs under the Bellator banner, but sitting down literally for the last 24 hours and talking to Kevin and the entire team over at Spike and my whole team, it just made sense to keep this literally where it is right now, to give fans these great fights for free."

Rebney said he was unsure how long the 38-year old Ortiz would be sidelined "a significant amount of time" with the neck fracture, possibly more than six months before they can better evaluate. As for Jackson, Rebney said that the sooner they can book him into another fight the better.

"On the Rampage front, literally as quickly as possible," he said. "Obviously there have been a lot of moving parts with Kevin and I and the team and Spike and Bellator and everybody working together to put this magical show on Spike TV for free, but don’t think that we’re not thinking about Rampage and we’re hopefully going to be in a position in the next week to make some great announcements on that as well."

Rebney said that anybody who had already purchased the Nov. 2 PPV will be reimbursed in full.

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will now meet former UFC competitor Joey "The Mexicutioner" Beltran November 15th on Spike.

i had a full blown OP for this, decided against it after Tito got injured :(

i like Eddie, i think Eddie is top 5 easily, but i can see him half-ass it just to get away from Bellator as soon as possible.

other than that, STUNNED to see Joe Riggs on a televised event.

and i lit a candle hoping we get a repeat of this:

spinning-backfist1-2-21-13.gif

This card is a mess.

Whoa whoa stop the clock. Is that Mike "The Joker" Guymon I see in the untelevised prelims? The only fighter in UFC history to be submitted via body crush?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Eddie should have this. But I'm pretty sure there's a footnote in his contract about it that he's ring rusty.

And god willing Newton will destroy Mo. There's nothing better than seeing a forced, corporate-backed hype train getting derailed.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Even with the injuries this has to be one of the best cards Bellator has put together. I'm disappointed in no Russians though.

Heel

In a week with no MMA competition, I was wondering what Bellator would need to do to set their ratings record. Their previous high was a 938k average with Bellator 85 for their Spike debut.

Now I'm wondering if they can even turn the tide. That move from Thursdays to Wednesdays was a real ratings killer.

Dysun

Joe Riggs on the main card of Spike and Tito on that poster, feels like I walked into a 2005 UFC card

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Acan is going to get disappeared for bringing shame to Mother Russia and getting recycled by a dude nicknamed The Marine.

Dysun

On the one hand there are some good fights coming up, but this FSU/Miami game isn't a blowout yet. Hmm, maybe after Joe Riggs

Heel

"I look at Joe Riggs as the cancer that stole my dad from me."

I wonder who writes these promos.

Heel

Riggs vs. Bronzoulis is Bellator's Griffin vs. Bonnar. Friends are calling friends as we speak.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There was 28 minutes between the end of the first fight and start of the second. 28 fucking minutes.

I have seen Bronzoulis get worked in many a Bad MMA event on Axstv.

Dysun

seriously tho who thought it was a good idea to have joe riggs on the main card of a televised event in 2013

seriously tho who thought it was a good idea to have joe riggs on the main card of a televised event in 2013

Man even before you consider that, who thought it was a good idea to have Joe Riggs on Fightmaster? Made the whole show look like a work.

iddqd

My god, I'm not used to seeing TV ad's anymore. Everything is annoying and shit.
ALSO terrible, the guy hyping the Bellator fights. Voice over guy.

And was there weird tension in the booth with Warren?

I guess they hired this guy for the voice overs before the PPV was cancelled and figured.. what the hell we already paid for it...

Dysun

What is the deal with Alvarez's contract? Is he still locked in if he loses/wins?

If he wins he has to rematch Chandler, but if he loses he can go.

According to a report by Wrestling Observer, Eddie Alvarez's new Bellator contract is actually a two-fight deal, allowing Alvarez immediate free agency if he either: 1.) Loses to Michael Chandler on November 2, 2013, 2.) Defeats Chandler and wins a rubber match, or, 3.) Splits the two contests.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/2...varezs-new-bellator-contract-reportedly-a-two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom