• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck ‘dropped’ from DC Universe as ‘search for new Batman starts’

Akuza89

It is already known that Henry Cavill will no longer be playing the role of Superman in the DC franchise.

However, rumour has it that Ben Affleck has also been dropped from his role as Batman.

Hidden in a Variety report, the news was carefully intertwined with the announcement that The Flash movie will be pushed back to 2021.

Towards the end of the story, Ben Affleck’s fate was revealed as the publication claimed a search for a new Batman was underway.

They wrote: ‘The studio is not currently moving forward with Batman and Superman movies featuring Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill, respectively.’

Before adding: ‘It is expected to recast the Dark Knight with a different actor for director Matt Reeves’ upcoming Batman solo outing.’

The 46-year-old was supposed to be directing the solo Batman film, however was replaced by Matt Reeves when he quit the role.
While promoting the new movie, Reeves has slowly started to stop mentioning the actor when concerning the film.

Ben is yet to address the rumours, however it seems as though the iconic DC duo will be played by someone else in future films.

Just last month sources close to Warner Bros claimed that Henry would not be reprising his Superman role, despite Warner trying to get him to make a cameo in the upcoming Shazam! movie

Henry starred in 2013’s Man of Steel, 2016’s Batman v. Superman and last year’s Justice League, but it appears he will be hanging up the red cape after finding success with his recent casting in Netflix’s The Witcher.

‘Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors,’ a studio source told The Hollywood Reporter.

‘There’s a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn’t work,’ the insider added

A second source suggested that the studio is hoping to hit a ‘reset’ button after a string of failures and lack of critical acclaim among the DC films.

Source

Oh dear oh dear... if this is true which it probably is given the Henry Cavill situation...

The DCU let's call it, could be dead before it's properly started...

Ouch.

Both Cavil and Affleck are gone.

Will they do a quick reboot or pretend like it didn't happen for the next few years and try again?

Last edited:

Akuza89

Bummer. Rumors have been going around forever. Guess we know now. Ben was an awesome Batman.

I'll be honest here, I wasn't a fan at the announcement of him... but when I saw him in action in BVS and then justice league he got better... he doesn't hold a candle to Adam west for me :messenger_winking_tongue: but then again who does!

I feel like its not really a big deal. Bruce Wayne to me is such a nothing role that anybody could play, all you have to do is frown a lot and people will go "wow just like the comics". Shouldn´t be too hard to find the next guy who wants to add "I´m batman" to their resume.

Superman and Batman are gone, and their counterparts Lex and Joker are absolutely pathetic in this universe. Cyborg looks like MS paint, Flash has been delayed, and the general reception around this whole franchise has been less than stellar. If they manage to reset the whole damn thing and get rid of all that baggage then this is probably good news, but knowing WB I´m sure they´ll find some way to fuck it up in a hilarious display of ineptitude. I can´t think of a reason why they wouldn´t just go for the old page one rewrite.

Also, Affleck was garbage in Justice League but then again who wasn´t.

ruvikx

Banned
Bummer. Rumors have been going around forever. Guess we know now. Ben was an awesome Batman.

Yep. I enjoyed Affleck as Batman & he got a bad rep solely because the writing was not top-notch in some cases in these movies (especial Justice League which reached all sorts of lows). Christian Bale was lucky to be in Nolan's movies because if the roles were reversed, it would be Affleck who'd be considered the 'ultimate' Bat.

As for the DCU, I believe a huge "lol" is the only response necessary. Suicide Squad was the moment the whole universe suicided itself, IMO. You just can't release such a huge pile of awfulness & expect it to work within an expanded universe like Marvel's.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Quite indicative of DC's movie division being completely fucking useless, seeing as these two were some of the only good aspects of their failed attempt at a DCEU. They really do need to just scrap everything and start again in a few years when people's attention isn't on the end of Marvel's initial ten year run. Superhero fatigue is going to start setting in after IW2.

I feel like its not really a big deal. Bruce Wayne to me is such a nothing role that anybody could play

West, Clooney and Kilmer say hello.

KOMANI

KOMANI
If they were smart they would do KingdomCome (albeit a movie version if it) with Jon Hamm as Superman, maybe Josh Brolin as Batman (as he was up for the part but they chose Afleck instead) and keep Gadot since WW is ageless.

Actually, it’s not the “smart” move, I just want Hamm as Superman/Clark Kent.

Then they can do their one-offs, like a Calvin Ellis superman movie and a Dick Grayson Batman movie...

I’m crazy.

West, Clooney and Kilmer say hello.

I don´t know if West really qualifies in that debate since the character was something completely different back then. Honestly, I don´t know if I could even rate Clooney and Kilmer considering how lame their movies were. There isn´t a soul on the planet who could´ve looked good with that script and direction, the same way no Batman actor could have turned JL into a good movie.

He had the potential to be a great Batman if it wasn't for the bad writing. The warehouse fight alone should tell you that.

I liked the warehouse fight but I don´t see how its quality has anything to do with Affleck. Its a scene where a stuntman does some action moves, again could´ve literally been anybody and the scene would have been the same. I agree that his potential was limited by shitty writing, but that seems to be the case for basically anyone playing batman.

If they were smart they would do KingdomCome (albeit a movie version if it) with Jon Hamm as Superman, maybe Josh Brolin as Batman (as he was up for the part but they chose Afleck instead) and keep Gadot since WW is ageless.

Actually, it’s not the “smart” move, I just want Hamm as Superman/Clark Kent.

Then they can do their one-offs, like a Calvin Ellis superman movie and a Dick Grayson Batman movie...

I’m crazy.
he might be playing as batman going by the rumors.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There isn´t a soul on the planet who could´ve looked good with that script and direction, the same way no Batman actor could have turned JL into a good movie.

Actually, I'll give you that. I just think Wayne could be far more nuanced than we've seen so far. I still think Justin Theroux would make a fantastic Bruce Wayne.

VulcanRaven

Affleck was ok but I'm not sad. I really wish Henry Cavill would still be Superman. They just need to hire a good director to make the next Superman movie.

Last edited:

Time to reboot with Flashpoint. Get it done DC. Current movies are pretty bad. New Shazam and Aquaman movie look like a step in the right direction but geez. Now we have 2 jokers, No batman and Superman. Flash movie that got delayed. Wonder Woman was a fluke and even then, it wasn't that great of a movie.

Mr Hyde

I guess Affleck will never touch anything comic related after this. First Daredevil and now this garbage universe. That guy has certainly had a roller coaster career.

Wag

Affleck was fine, just had bad material to work off of. The whole DCEU wreaks of failure, I can understand why he'd want no part of it.

Probably be a lot of "one offs" for the foreseeable future. I'd still love to see a Booster Gold movie, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Last edited:
He was good Batman but just like with James Bond after few movies you have to replace actor since he get's older at much faster rate than his hero.

Wag

He was good Batman but just like with James Bond after few movies you have to replace actor since he get's older at much faster rate than his hero.
The whole point was that he was supposed to be an "older" Batman. I say they should have just kept Bale going, but of course the poor writing wouldn't have helped.

Ichabod

Banned
qhkvsbO.gif

Real talk, though, appearance-wise, Batffleck was my favorite dark knight to date. Damn shame he was wasted on such a terrible cinematic universe.

BANGS

Banned
What a shame. Not that I thought Affleck was any good, but he wasn't the reason the movies sucked at all...

nemiroff

Gold Member
If only he had been smart enough to stay out of politics (I'll never be able to unsee his "debate" with Sam Harris).. But since he didn't this is good news to me.

highrider

Banned
Quite indicative of DC's movie division being completely fucking useless, seeing as these two were some of the only good aspects of their failed attempt at a DCEU.

Yeah, and the crazy thing is it’s not some nebulous thing wrong with the films, the criticism was almost identical across the board. I guess they just figure it’s guilt by association lol.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
God I hope this doesn’t mean more Ben Affleck passion projects. Somebody give this guy something to do

Kadayi

Banned
Actually, I'll give you that. I just think Wayne could be far more nuanced than we've seen so far. I still think Justin Theroux would make a fantastic Bruce Wayne.

I'd second that. After the stellar work he did on The Leftovers I'd love to see JT get a proper lead role in something. He's always playing second fiddle to people in films/shows since. But I could definitely see him doing BW/BM, dude can do dark pretty convincingly (Girl on a train). Plus the dude is carved out of wood.

With all that said I like Affleck as Batman.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
what a weird Batman. Affleck was probably good casting but terrible material. the Batman of BvS was my least favorite one. just this overly violent fascist who brands people (apparently Batman and prison murderers both have an understanding?) and jokes that his super power is "being rich".

he was also a complete idiot for being the world's smartest detective. he is obsessed with Superman for months and months and somehow never learns that he had a human family and parents. detective much? he didn't figure out about the bullets in the middle east, making Lois a better detective. he also didn't figure out Lex's congress bomb, despite again, being obsessed with Superman and everything he does. you would think Batman would be interested in the time Superman goes to congress, but i guess not. Batman also let himself get trolled with fake letters.

some may say this is his character now, he's at a low point. i can buy that but still. i guess Batman is just a dumb idiot who gets tricked into killing people. great. give me Clooney sliding down a dinosaur's back any day.

so messed up that we only got 3 movies with Batman in it and in one of them he just shows up for 2 minutes and punches a woman in the face.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought he was a decent Batman is bad movies so it's a shame he didn't get the opportunity to star in a decent film as Barman.

As for the DCEU, Superman and Batman are the two biggest characters. If they are recasting both roles then surely they have to reboot now or do they intend to keep everyone else and just recast?

Recasting smaller roles isn't ideal but is perfectly possible but how can you realistically recast your two biggest roles and then try to carry on?

Gander

Banned
There is an easy story line to reintroduce and establish them. Batman/Superman Public Enemies is a magnificent story, oh and get a new Lex Luthor while your at it.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Tell me....... Do you bleed?

I would like to thank Ben for delivering such a hard ass line.

Looking forward to John Snow fumbling with his bat belt while Alfred tries to help him and he screams out "I NOUGH HAW TO DO ITTT!!!!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Writing was on the wall, Bale 3 Batman movies, and almost every other Bat since 1980 has only had one film.

Catphish

Tell me....... Do you bleed?

I would like to thank Ben for delivering such a hard ass line.

Looking forward to John Snow fumbling with his bat belt while Alfred tries to help him and he screams out "I NOUGH HAW TO DO ITTT!!!!
I laughed heartily. :D

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ben was honestly fine, the script, production, art design, marketing and everything else were the problem.

quickwhips

Let’s act like the actors were the problem in not the scripts. I think they shouldn’t try to build this universe and focus on cool movie one shots.

Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill played their roles exactly as they were written. It's too bad they had garbage scripts to work with. There is no saving the DC cinematic universe at this point. They're best play would be to pump the brakes and try again in five years or so. As much as I like Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, the entire universe needs a hard reset.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Reboot is the only option for them. Anything to remove robo voice filter Batman.

Top Bottom