• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Carson |OT| America’s first real black president

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can someone trained in medicine and a highly successful career in neuroscience believe in all that insane bullshit?

Religious faith is a belief based on emotion.

You can be highly intelligent, qualified and skilled in a particular area but if you believe in a supernatural being then it is an emotive and non-rational belief without any evidence to support it.

An intelligent person who is also religious, will often try to find "evidence" to support their belief.

We all do this with various emotions we experience, be it love, anger, sadness. The logical part of our brain attempts to rationalise and explain the belief we have based on an emotional response.

Being religious is effectively being in love. God loves you and you in turn love God, as a result you feel happy, content and stable in your relationship and your life.

I'm always reminded of the astronaut who drove cross country wearing a diaper to stalk an ex partner.

No matter how high your IQ, each of us will sit in our own shit, to prove and receive love.

I think Ben Carson fell off a pier and hit his head on concrete while an Earth, Wind and Fire album was playing, rewriting everything but his surgical ability

Religious faith is a belief based on emotion.

You can be highly intelligent, qualified and skilled in a particular area but if you believe in a supernatural being then it is an emotive and non-rational belief without any evidence to support it.

An intelligent person who is also religious, will often try to find "evidence" to support their belief.

We all do this with various emotions we experience, be it love, anger, sadness. The logical part of our brain attempts to rationalise and explain the belief we have based on an emotional response.

Being religious is effectively being in love. God loves you and you in turn love God, as a result you feel happy, content and stable in your relationship and your life.

I'm always reminded of the astronaut who drove cross country wearing a diaper to stalk an ex partner.

No matter how high your IQ, each of us will sit in our own shit, to prove and receive love.

I don't think being religious leads to believing that Joseph built the pyramids and that ancient alien researchers should be debated.

well you can go to school with a close relative.... but really... why the hell did he even bring this up if he didn't want the media talking about it haha?
It was already there in his memoir, way before his presidential ambitions started. He is also a novice, clearly not ready for the primetime. He thought he could use this neat little story to drive his evangelical, born-again story of redemption through Christ but didn't realize that we live in a country with free press.

Revolver

Really, though. Like, why would he publicize this story? Like, he must know that this is an invitation (if the woman is still alive) for her to come out and be like "Yeah, what a shitty human being."

His stories don't seem to be well thought out. I'm waiting for him to tell us about the girlfriend he had in school. No really she was real. You wouldn't know her though, she went to a different school... in Canada.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is not reality. I cannot comprehend how any of this is possible, let alone actually happening. Even in the Republican party.

The Pyramids, are you kidding me?

And a creepy ass secretary story on top of it?

Between this and the gunman story Carson sounds like a legit Psychopath. Calm, detached and emotionless. Zero empathy or regard for others, highly intelligent, charismatic and self confident. Yet totally fucking out of his gourd.

sphagnum

Banned
It's funny that many people in this thread don't realize the pyramids thing will ingratiate him further with evangelicals, since many of the posters here aren't aware of the story of Joseph (not Jesus' step-dad Joseph, the Joseph from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat").

Wow. The smugness in that graduation speech is insane.

He actually thinks he's smarter than scientists. Also, I just discovered who Carson is.

lord pie

Ben Carson glad God disappeared his secretary, God looking out for Carson's convenience.

I'm curious where this comes from. Is this a story he is using to promote his character as a part of his campaign? Besides being a freaking weird story, to me it reads as him stating directly that he is unable to make timely or difficult choices (being 'softhearted') preferring to ignore problems.
How on earth is that a good quality in such a job?

If it is an out of context quote then, well, it's still weird as hell.

He's on CNN complaining that fact checking anything he's said or done in the past isn't fair because we should be talking about the issues! Yeah, you can't play your "media bias!" card forever. You don't get a pass on your actual personal history.

...Any in less than 5 minutes Trump posts a tweet wrecking Carson from the interview.
Aren't republicans too racist to let Carson be the nominee? Just curious about his chances
Oh heavens no. In fact (to them) it totally proves they're NOT racist! They've griped about Obama for so long and been called racist time and time again, so if they push one of their black guys it means people can't call them racist anymore. They think that that's how it works. This is also the only reason why Herman Cain got any traction for 2012. The same sort of faulty logic is why there's a huge push for Rubio because the party thinks he'll attract the Hispanic vote (but totally wouldn't). Can't be racist toward Hispanics if their candidate is one! This is seriously how they think it works.

User 406

Banned
Aren't republicans too racist to let Carson be the nominee? Just curious about his chances

They're racist enough to appreciate Carson as "one of the good ones", a black man who preaches respectability politics and absolves them of their own racism. One thing it's easy to forget is that a lot of racist white people are just fine with black people who "know their place". It seems paradoxical when applying this idea to a potential presidential candidate, but he really does fit the profile to a T.

But I too wonder if in the end his supporters will really be able to take that last step and pull the lever for him. He could be his own Bradley Effect. I guess we'll find out when we see the pre-primary polls and the results from each state.

is the whole "Joesph built the pyramids" thing some unconventional, weird theory that people out there believe, or did Carson just totally make it up and basically he's the only one that believes it?

That's what I want to know too. I dont think any biblical scholar believes Joseph built pyramids to store grain.

Meet The Pyramid Truthers: Where Ben Carson’s Wacky Theory Came From

The GOP frontrunner's theory that archaeologists are wrong and that the Egyptian pyramids were really built by the biblical figure Joseph to store grain wasn't created in a vacuum. In the fringier corners of the Internet, variations of the pyramids-as-grain-storage argument has spawned entire blogs and a 30-minute documentary.

The general gist of their theory is this: Imhotep, an Egyptian priest who lived around 2600 B.C., may actually be Joseph. The tunnels underneath what is considered to be the one of the first Egyptian pyramids, the theories go, are in fact grain storage designed by Imhotep/Joseph, who had interpreted a pharaoh's dream that predicted a famine.

A documentary produced by a company called “Ark Discovery” -- "The official source of information on Revealing God's Treasure" -- takes viewers to the stepped pyramid of Djoser at Saqqara, which the documentary claims is where Joseph built an underground grain storage unit, the relics of which can be seen today.

How can a brain surgeon be a creationist. I don't get it.
But he and Trump make the Daily Show so much better. I just hope none of them get anywhere near the presidency.

Reading through some of those quotes this man seems batshit insane. I would worry for the American people if this guy actually became president.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Imhotep?

tumblr_n6v40401QP1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

This guy?

I thought Ben was interesting until I learned more about him these last few weeks. I'm sorry, this man is a lunatic. We think Trump saying criminal mexicans come to America is bad, this dude is attacking gays, muslims, egyptian architects, it doesn't end.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
CNN can't corroborate any of the stories of Carson's violent past.

"I was trying to kill somebody," Carson said, describing the incident -- which he has said occurred at age 14 in ninth grade -- during a September forum at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco.

But nine friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson told CNN they have no memory of the anger or violence the candidate has described.

That person is unrecognizable to those whom CNN interviewed, who knew him during those formative years.

All of the people interviewed expressed surprise about the incidents Carson has described. No one challenged the stories directly. Some of those interviewed expressed skepticism, but noted that they could not know what had happened behind closed doors.

Gerald Ware, a classmate at Southwestern High School said he was "shocked" to read about the violence in Carson's book.

"I don't know nothing about that," said Ware, who still lives in southwestern Detroit. "It would have been all over the whole school."

CNN was unable to independently confirm any of the incidents, which Carson said occurred when he was a juvenile.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I don't doubt that he's lying through his teeth, but why the hell would a presidential candidate lie about trying to stab someone in the first place? Even if it was true, wouldn't you wanna hide that shit as much as possible?

I don't doubt that he's lying through his teeth, but why the hell would a presidential candidate lie about trying to stab someone in the first place? Even if it was true, wouldn't you wanna hide that shit as much as possible?

His personal story is all about how Jesus saved him. If he was a good kid there wouldn't be much for Jesus to actually save.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Psychopaths have an inherent and pathological need to lie about themselves and their past.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
His personal story is all about how Jesus saved him. If he was a good kid there wouldn't be much for Jesus to actually save.

That, plus it makes for an interesting story to help sell his books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom