• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Ben-Hur Remake Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

Jun 28, 2011
I'll admit, that doesn't look as horrendous as I thought it would. The trailer is trash though. A slower pace with classical orchestral music would give it a more epic feel and make it less generic looking.

ugoo18

May 22, 2011
I watched Ben-Hur for the first time last week, enjoyed it a lot despite its length and this looks pretty bad :/. Looks kind of like a by the numbers action movie with a religious flavor added in.

-shadow-

Sep 22, 2015
Poster

Was the budget that low they couldn't even let someone else other than the receptionist do the Photoshop?

bishopcruz

Dec 6, 2006
Miami, FL
Did I hear right in the trailer? Is Messala his brother now? Would that make Messala Jewish? Or does that mean Ben-Hur is now roman? That seems idiotic.

Also, as bad as the chariot race scene looks, the opening with the ships looks REALLY bad. I think what makes this film especially bad is the overuse of color correction. It just looks fake as hell.

televator

Sep 21, 2011
I'll watch it simply due to the lack of modern high production Rome movies. A genre I'm a bit of a sucker for. It's just beneath movies about androids and AI.

itsbenoclock

Feb 27, 2015
London, UK
Hilarious how the CGI makes the film look aesthetically much worse in comparison to the sweeping, beautifully composed shots of the original. Embarrassing.

reckless

Sep 1, 2013
Who the hell greenlights stuff like this. Seriously? It's like some people just want to throw millions of dollars away.

Harmen

Jul 24, 2014
I simply cannot comprehend how bad this looks compared to the classic. Like, really, really, REALLY bad. Holy shit.

And my god, that music. Why?!

mrkgoo

Jul 7, 2004
Yo people who are upset, remember that the classic Ben-Hur is actually a remake of a popular movie from the 20s.

Feel free to hate on remakes all you want, but if remakes of good movies didn't exist, then the Heston Ben-Hur wouldn't have been a thing.

Teehee

I think the notion that a remake can only exist as an attempt at improving the version(s) before it needs to go.

I appreciate even a crappy attempt if it's interesting. Hell, even cheap easy cash grabs are a part of this industry and hold a place. I mean a lot of fun movies can come from such attempts.

Of course if it's all we have then that's a problem, but it's not.

I mean I'm not going to watch this, but neither does anyone here. I just don't think some stories are so sacred that they can't be touched by a new version.

old manatee

Banned
May 6, 2009
I'm sure this will be as good as the one with Charlton Heston, and stunts so out of hand a stuntman's death was left in the film.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Jun 6, 2004
Trailer #2, the early frontrunner for the worst choice of trailer music of the year.

This is fuckin great. Every blockbuster movie trailer should start out with a voiceover conversation that sounds plucked from an Elder Scrolls intro. It's a shame they cut it off just before Morgan Freeman said "So, let's see how you look" and held a mirror up to the screen.

NeoBob688

Dec 8, 2015
This trailer made me physically ill. Various aspects of the craft in the 1950's version can still be appreciated to this day. But then comparing to this shit. It is like a textbook case of everything that is wrong with modern movie making.

Status
Not open for further replies.