Ben Shapiro TRIGGERED by Andrew Neil, WALKS from interview early

epicnemesis

May 9, 2008
I’m biased I guess but the host was totally arguing/interviewing in bad faith. Judging from the videos posted above I guess his MO is to play devils advocate and attack his interviewee with whatever crap he can throw, but pulling tweets from 2012 and the like is poor form. It’s one thing if you go in prepared for that, it’s another if you expect a soft book promotion interview.

Ben was quick to aggression but as the interview went on it seemed justified to me.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I’m biased I guess but the host was totally arguing/interviewing in bad faith. Judging from the videos posted above I guess his MO is to play devils advocate and attack his interviewee with whatever crap he can throw, but pulling tweets from 2012 and the like is poor form. It’s one thing if you go in prepared for that, it’s another if you expect a soft book promotion interview.

Ben was quick to aggression but as the interview went on it seemed justified to me.
Shapiro couldn't answer (and I'm paraphrasing) "what do American Republicans have in the way of ideas?" Or "do you think these laws are barbaric?"

To the first, all he did was ask questions and state what he thinks conservatives are about .. the second, he misread the content of the question.

He reacted illogically and emotionally ... Thinking it would be a softball interview and it wasn't.

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
Could have fooled me.
Watch Neil’s reaction when he gets called a leftist. He’s pretty well known for being on the right so it’s a ridiculous suggestion by Shapiro to say otherwise.

Neil is just taking an opposite position from Shapiro to press him on his views. It’s pretty standard stuff. Shapiro responds by attacking Neil personally and insisting he has to answer Shapiro’s questions in response. That might work on American shows where the structure is built around getting two or more people into conflict and it’s about who “wins” but Neil refuses to get drawn into that dynamic. Then Shapiro gets flustered and walks out.

Shapiro is obviously a smart guy but this made him seem very limited when he was out of the format he’s used to.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
He sound extremely aggressive and i don't understand how you have to prepare for the interview if you have your opinions ready on matters at hand.

I stopped watching it 10 minutes in as it just felt like a trainwreck of a conversation.

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
A good example of how you look to others when you respond to questions using aggression and evasion.

Also a good example of how you look to others when you own your failures. A very rare display in political discourse.

[Nudge nudge]

Reactions: Hayfield

MrTickles

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2018
Verbal intelligence alone is not always enough. He is a little low-T weasel/twink. They always slip up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bolivar687

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
Andrew Neil is a former editor of the Times and the Spectator. The Spectator is the oldest Conservative periodical in print, the idea that he is left wing economically or socially is nonsense.

He is an aggressive political interviewer he asks difficult questions phrased in a way that expects you to justify your position and not just sidestep it with sophistry.

Shaprio's problem is that he can't talk about the culture of the failure of debate when his previous history is so laden with personal failures. If he wanted to gain credibility on that front he should have repudiated those comments there and then rather than appearing evasive.

Marlenus

Jul 29, 2013
UK

The whole point of using those tweets was to give Ben a chance to explain them. It also gives him a chance to show that his position on charged language has evolved and then use that to tie it to the new book. If Andrew was looking to make Ben seem like a complete hypocrite he would have found more recent tweets but by using old ones it gives Ben the opportunity to show growth.

In all honesty that was pretty tame for an Andrew Neil interview.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
As Bias as the BBC is, even though they say they aren't, their interviews are almost always approached very well.

There's a bbc interview called 'hard talk' where a person comes and gets grilled with the most difficult, but respectful questions there are. Andrew Marr is pretty good, Click is a fantastic tech show and Mark Kermode is an excellent reviewer of films/books.

IMO this interview is just par of the course for Neil et al.

Weilthain

Aug 6, 2013
I don't like Ben Shapiro.

My brother got angry at me a year or 2 ago when I was talking about outrage culture.

I brought up Shapiro and mentioned people were calling him a Nazi, to which I commented something to the effect that he may be a little shit but he isn't a Nazi in the literal sense and its getting out of hand how some words are being tossed around these days. He instantly became very worried that I myself am a right-wing nazi because I know who Ben Shapiro is. I made fun of Antifa as well and he didn't like that either.

I wonder how he is doing at the moment as I haven't seen him since before the Mueller report verdict.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Watch Neil’s reaction when he gets called a leftist. He’s pretty well known for being on the right so it’s a ridiculous suggestion by Shapiro to say otherwise.

Neil is just taking an opposite position from Shapiro to press him on his views. It’s pretty standard stuff. Shapiro responds by attacking Neil personally and insisting he has to answer Shapiro’s questions in response. That might work on American shows where the structure is built around getting two or more people into conflict and it’s about who “wins” but Neil refuses to get drawn into that dynamic. Then Shapiro gets flustered and walks out.

Shapiro is obviously a smart guy but this made him seem very limited when he was out of the format he’s used to.
I agree. I've seen Neil before a couple times. His Alex Jones interview was very entertaining. But not being from the UK, like Ben, I would be on defense and probably assume, if pressed, that I was arguing with a leftist. Especially if the interviewer is brining up things I said in 2012.

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
I watched the full clip. I can tell based on the responses who else did. It wasn't some stellar performance by Ben, it was pretty awful. He started to get off kilter when the interviewer used the term barbarism to describe a pro life stance. The interview then descended into bringing up old tweets from 2012 that Ben had already discussed 1000x. To the point where he actually wrote an article about them all. If people actually knew what kind of gotcha interviews get conducted I can see why he ended it based on the content. There are better ways to discuss topics rather than here is an out of context line from 2019 vs an out of context line from 2012. Based on the questions and interview style it followed the same framework as a Vox interview. Who cares if the interviewer was a conservative if the line of questioning is indistinguishable from a bog standard left wing media hit piece.

Reactions: Panda1
There's barely any of the actual discussion in this metacommentary video, mostly rambling about how owned Ben Shapiro is without substance. Here's the original for people to draw their own conclusions:

Thanks for this.

You don't understand the concept of debate do you. It was a slanted interview that could have been handled better. That said he got under Shapiro's skin and damn that last line was brutal.

Last edited:

BILLY BIG BALLS

Neo Member
Jul 24, 2018
This is an interview on a program that's introducing him to a general British audience, not shitposters online who know about every tweet he's done and watched every joe rogan or rubin report appreance he's made, which is probably why neil brought them up. British political journalists will often try and do challenging interviews regardless of who they're interviewing. Neil has skewered plenty of leftists in the past so bemoaning it as like a vox interview seems churlish to me.

Ben wasn't talking to a permanently outrage college student or a softball interviewer like he usually does in America so lost his rag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Reactions: Miku Miku
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Neil a hardcore Thatcherite right wing loon. You guys sound utterly mental calling him a 'leftist' lol.
I called him a Never-Trumper. Which he absolutely was and still is. To me and many other Americans, the left and the spineless weasels known as Never-Trumpers are of the same ilk. They are the swamp.

This all, obviously, went way over your head.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
Shapiro is all show and no boat.

Fuck this never-Trumper click bait peddler.

His career is basically shit posting for clicks and self promotion.

A cockroach of the highest order that is a parasite of the system of control.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
This is an interview on a program that's introducing him to a general British audience, not shitposters online who know about every tweet he's done and watched every joe rogan or rubin report appreance he's made, which is probably why neil brought them up. British political journalists will often try and do challenging interviews regardless of who they're interviewing. Neil has skewered plenty of leftists in the past so bemoaning it as like a vox interview seems churlish to me.

Ben wasn't talking to a permanently outrage college student or a softball interviewer like he usually does in America so lost his rag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The interview was not challenging. It was downright bereft of substance. It consisted of "here is dumb thing you said 7 years ago" how does what you wrote in your book stand up to that in 2019. I don't care if he is running a kabob restaurant with all of the leftists he skewered, this style of interview is worthless to introduce him to a general British audience. You can ask tough questions without being a combative cunt looking for some stupid gotcha.

Reactions: O-N-E

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
I'm glad to see Ben being able to poke some fun at himself when he was a little off his game, because it's not an easy thing to do.

But I definitely think some posts are overselling this a bit too hard. I was genuinely surprised watching the unedited video. I probably wouldn't have kept going back to the "Dark Ages" comment as often as he did, but many of his responses, even in the second half, were pretty straightforward, standard fare.

He had already owned up more than once that he regrets a lot of things he's said in the past. When it became clear the interviewer wasn't going to let it go and kept going back to ten year old tweets, I really don't see any reason to keep playing that game.

Don't get me wrong, I really do think it's a fair line of questioning to accuse Ben of perpetuating the same outrage culture divisions he rails against. The reason I personally don't like the Daily Wire is because so much of it is being triggered off AOC and Omar tweets, the same way Vox and Buzzfeed articles are triggered off Trump tweets.

That said, some of you guys claimiing "he was a hardcore Thatcherite!" might be missing the point. In the states, we have Weekly Standard and National Review types who have exposed themselves to have far more in common with Hillary Clinton than they let on. The old order of big government, foreign intervention, and the normalization of mass immigration was a bipartisan consensus that is now unraveling. And the media have conscripted themselves into defending it, even if it means going down with them. When you look at how similar outlets have treated Jordan and Sam in the past, I'm not surprised at all that Ben took it the way he did. Calling Neil a leftist might not be semantically correct, but there's a powerful emotional truth there.

Dead1612

Neophyte
Feb 6, 2019
the interviewer was trying to catch him with gotcha questions and it worked. i think it's too bad he used gotcha questions, and it's too bad it worked, something i would say about most forms of media on both sides of the political spectrum. i would prefer sincere dialogue that is meant to exchange ideas rather than "destroy," but that's not salacious enough to get most people's attention and clicks. what can i say, it got mine, so i'm guilty too.

GrizzleBoy

Jul 25, 2013
England
That feeling when YOU become the whiny, entitled, shrieking college campus kid being schooled by a person who knows how to not fall into your traps.

I like how the interviewer used Ben Shapiros own words to contradict Ben Shapiros words in Ben Shapiros book, which Ben Shapiro found to be completely unacceptable. Made epecially lovely due to the favt he hadn't realised Neil was actually using Ben Shapiros own book quotes to critique Ben Shapiro.

Essentially Andrew Neil in his own way throughout the interview asked: "You're a bit of a hypocrite aren't you?"

And Ben couldnt do much more than incorrectly insinuate that only a left winger would or should criticise him in such a way, use obvious obfuscation tactics and in the end run away from the truth that he is indeed according to his own book, describing himself and that he's a hypocrite.

His "attack attack attack" style was used against him to make him look shit and it worked. His lack of ability to back down or even simply substantiate his own positions when pressed was his downfall here.

He knew he had absolutely no defense for the "30 years for miscarriage" law and knew exactly how bad it made him look, so went straight into telling lies and discrediting to limit the bad optics. Had he been able to substantiate his position, it would've been fine. He couldn't though and went immediately into ad hominems.

He knew he couldn't simply say, "yes actually I have regularly shown the exact things I critique in my book" because he's Ben Shapiro and at that point in time he believed he was in the process of owning a lib.

Seeing a so-called master debater instantly turn to "you're a leftie, nothing you say matters, I win", while talking to a Conservative who's worked for Rupert Murdoch much of their lives, was quite sad for him.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Ailynn

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
That feeling when YOU become the whiny, entitled, shrieking college campus kid being schooled by a person who knows how to not fall into your traps.

I like how the interviewer used Ben Shapiros own words to contradict Ben Shapiros words in Ben Shapiros book, which Ben Shapiro found to be completely unacceptable. Made epecially lovely due to the favt he hadn't realised Neil was actually using Ben Shapiros own book quotes to critique Ben Shapiro.

Essentially Andrew Neil in his own way throughout the interview asked: "You're a bit of a hypocrite aren't you?"

And Ben couldnt do much more than incorrectly insinuate that only a left winger would or should criticise him in such a way, use obvious obfuscation tactics and in the end run away from the truth that he is indeed according to his own book, describing himself and that he's a hypocrite.

His "attack attack attack" style was used against him to make him look shit and it worked. His lack of ability to back down or even simply substantiate his own positions when pressed was his downfall here.

He knew he had absolutely no defense for the "30 years for miscarriage" law and knew exactly how bad it made him look, so went straight into telling lies and discrediting to limit the bad optics. Had he been able to substantiate his position, it would've been fine. He couldn't though and went immediately into ad hominems.

He knew he couldn't simply say, "yes actually I have regularly shown the exact things I critique in my book" because he's Ben Shapiro and at that point in time he believed he was in the process of owning a lib.

Seeing a so-called master debater instantly turn to "you're a leftie, nothing you say matters, I win", while talking to a Conservative who's worked for Rupert Murdoch much of their lives, was quite sad for him.
It was good for Ben. These things gave a way of happening when you are, or think you are, at the height of whatever it is you're aspiring to achieve. You're on top and you think you're untouchable. Then you get crushed and it brings you back down to the real world.

Ben Shapiro will be a better person because of this experience. The unbeatable image he built up is now gone for good. Now he and his fans know the truth: he's just one of us.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
the interviewer was trying to catch him with gotcha questions and it worked. i think it's too bad he used gotcha questions, and it's too bad it worked, something i would say about most forms of media on both sides of the political spectrum. i would prefer sincere dialogue that is meant to exchange ideas rather than "destroy," but that's not salacious enough to get most people's attention and clicks. what can i say, it got mine, so i'm guilty too.
What gotcha questions? Shapiro could have easily said "that's ridiculous, this doesn't take us back to the dark ages because..." but instead shat his pants.

Reactions: Darkangel

Rran

Jan 2, 2013
amugsblog.blogspot.com
What gotcha questions? Shapiro could have easily said "that's ridiculous, this doesn't take us back to the dark ages because..." but instead shat his pants.
I think they're more referring to the "Back in 2012, you tweeted this, which sounds weird next to this out-of-context excerpt from your 2019 book" stuff. Which I would agree is kind of a cheap shot.

Last edited:

Akira1983

Oct 25, 2018
New Hampshire, USA
One thing I love to do is parrot empty rhetoric with no substance. Unfortunately this means I have been removed from this thread to put together more comprehensive posts
Ha

Fuck Shapiro and anyone that supports him

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
I fucking lost it when he called Andrew Neil "left wing" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Looks like his old tweets didn't care about Shapiros feelings?

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Meh it wasn’t that bad. He just got caught up on the dark ages comment. Given how the left is constantly tooting their own horn for being the side of science and sneering at the right for being on the wrong side of history I can understand the mistake. The venom and gotcha cheerleading coming from the rabid regressive left shows how much of a danger they view him as.

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
Meh it wasn’t that bad. He just got caught up on the dark ages comment. Given how the left is constantly tooting their own horn for being the side of science and sneering at the right for being on the wrong side of history I can understand the mistake.
Why are you make excuses for Shapiro even though he himself recognized that he handled the interview poorly and simply wasn't prepared for it? Learn from it and move on.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Why are you make excuses for Shapiro even though he himself recognized that he handled the interview poorly and simply wasn't prepared for it? Learn from it and move on.
“Wasn’t that bad” doesn’t mean it was good. He flubbed it but I’m saying that it wasn’t as bad as the SJWs celebrating it like it’s his downfall want it to be.

Makariel

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2018
“Wasn’t that bad” doesn’t mean it was good. He flubbed it but I’m saying that it wasn’t as bad as the SJWs celebrating it like it’s his downfall want it to be.
I was more refering to the second part of your statement, i.e. where you effectively blamed "the left" for Shapiro not being adequately prepared for an interview by a conservative media personality. There was no lefty in that video ;)

But yeah, the tweets in the OP are cringey, but tweets usually are. I really don't get why so many still insist of making a fool of themselves on twitter.

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
Who cares and why?

Oh no Ben "lost" a debate. Everyone quick get on Twitter our side just won the elec.... Wait. Is the left cheering on a conservative to "own the conservatives"?

Lol this is beyond stupidity.

GrizzleBoy

Jul 25, 2013
England
Who cares and why?

Oh no Ben "lost" a debate. Everyone quick get on Twitter our side just won the elec.... Wait. Is the left cheering on a conservative to "own the conservatives"?

Lol this is beyond stupidity.
What debate?

Ben Shapiro got asked some tough questions about Ben Shapiro and turned into the type of whiny, assuming, entitled feelings over facts types people like to see him "DESTROY!! 11"

He even went so low as use childish arguments like "I'm more popular than you therefore I win" and calling a life long Conservative a leftie in order to discredit them because he had no answer to the questions asked of him.

He tried his "tell a lie while talking fast and quickly change subject" tactic and the host immediately called out and corrected him on multiple occasions.

He got questioned by someone about himself and devoid of any way to answer without looking bad, tried all his extremely transparent debate tactics to wriggle out of having to show any humility or self reflection and it didn't work.

He shat the bed pretty hard tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ailynn