• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BenQ: Ps5 will support 1440p monitors

Jose92

[Membe

While there’s a lot of talk of 120Hz with regard to the new consoles and late 2020 graphics cards, let’s be realistic. Most of it doesn’t apply to 4K, but more to 1080p or 1440p. It’ll be another generation before 120 frames per second in 4K are normative for the majority of games. We expect the PS5 (and by extension, most PC titles) to deliver firm 4K 60Hz for the next few years. If you’re interested in high frame rates, you may want to consider a good QHD gaming monitor, as 1440p will be supported by the PS5 with a higher likelihood of 120Hz in that resolution.

Rejoice 1440p Lovers Now Xbox series S/X and PS5 will support 1440p resolution output.

Last edited:

Banned
it's kinda sad that a monitor manufacturer had to announce this while Sony didn't say a word about this.

but that's great great news... NOW PATCH IT INTO THE DAMN PS4 PRO OS! The Pro will move to the PC screen once the PS5 is in da house, and I would love for it to actually use the full resolution of it!
doubly so because the Pro became more and more a 1440p system as many developers stopped using checkerboarding to reach 1800cb or 2160cb

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'd say this would be a best investment with your ps5 if it also includes fast framerate.

Hey Blinkin

I almost bought a BenQ monitor until I found the Dell S2721QS on Amazon for $299.

It will satisfy my gaming needs for the next generation.

Banned
I'd say this would be a best investment with your ps5 if it also includes fast framerate.

if you don't want to play on a big TV then absolutely.
but then again, many games will not support 120fps and instead will run at 4k, in which case you will miss out on that

Last edited:

Venuspower

Denon said that Next Gen GPUs will
also have a HDMI bandwidth of 40 Gbps.
Turns out that (at least) NVIDIA GPUs will support 48 Gbps.

What do we learn? Always be sceptical when a company claims certain things about other companies products.

In other words: As long as Sony does not confirm it stay sceptical.

Last edited:

The_Mike

if you don't want to play on a big TV then absolutely.
but then again, many games will not support 120fps and instead will run at 4k, in which case you will miss out on that

Well there's still lots of delay time on a big TV compared to a fast monitor.

reinking

Gold Member
A few months ago I was looking at going 1440p and moving consoles to a 32" monitor. Without confirmation from Sony I ended up returning that monitor and recently bought a 65" x900h. Oh well. Maybe when I upgrade the PC later I will purchase the monitor again. For now, I am stuck with 1080p on PC and 4K (ish) on consoles.

Banned

if set to 120hz modern LG and Samsung TVs have 7ms of lag, that's very close to the 2ms of the average PC screen.

the difference is noticeable but it's very close

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
£700+ for a monitor is ridiculous when you consider what sort of TV you could get for the same price.

Xdrive05

Prediction: when next gen hits its stride (when current gen consoles are getting dropped due to technical limitations), most games to be internally rendering at 1440p or around there, and 900p on XSS. If you want next-gen assets and content, and RT, expect these 10 and 12 TF GPUs to be at 1440p or under in order to deliver that in most cases. And for next gen games that do target over 1440p, they probably won't being doing it at 60fps. The 60fps modes will probably be 1440p or less. So 1440p displays will be fine for PS5 and XSX, and you won't be missing much.

The_Mike

if set to 120hz modern LG and Samsung TVs have 7ms of lag, that's very close to the 2ms of the average PC screen.

the difference is noticeable but it's very close

The difference Is day and night. I have a Asus 144hz 1ms, and I can't go back to anything higher than that.

Also playing with a controller is just so damn slow for me in regards of reflexes, so the slower input might affect it.

Kenpachii

Prediction: when next gen hits its stride (when current gen consoles are getting dropped due to technical limitations), most games to be internally rendering at 1440p or around there, and 900p on XSS. If you want next-gen assets and content, and RT, expect these 10 and 12 TF GPUs to be at 1440p or under in order to deliver that in most cases. And for next gen games that do target over 1440p, they probably won't being doing it at 60fps. The 60fps modes will probably be 1440p or less. So 1440p displays will be fine for PS5 and XSX, and you won't be missing much.

Jup they will move to 1440p all u see now is current gen games.

Rockman33

Rejoice 1440p Lovers Now Xbox series S/X and PS5 will support 1440p resolution output.
Could be wrong but I think Xbox has been doing 1440p on one x. Also there are already a surprising amount of 4K 120 FPS games announced. Orri, gears, halo, rainbow six, falconeer. Not NEW experiences but none the less impressive.

Jose92

[Membe
Could be wrong but I think Xbox has been doing 1440p on one x. Also there are already a surprising amount of 4K 120 FPS games announced. Orri, gears, halo, rainbow six, falconeer. Not NEW experiences but none the less impressive.
Yes you are correct One X does support it.

Banned

both the One S and One X support 4K60 and 1440p120 yes, the question was if Sony will support it because they haven't on Pro

Jose92

[Membe
The way OP phrased the last sentence in the post was as if it was new to Xbox as well, when in fact it isn't.
I Probably should have phrased like this to remove confusion:
Ps5 joins the Xbox Series S/X and the Xbox One systems in Supporting 1440p Native output for supported displays.

I was lazy :D and thought that the xbox systems support for the 1440p res was common knowledge

Last edited:

FrankWza

The difference Is day and night. I have a Asus 144hz 1ms, and I can't go back to anything higher than that.

Also playing with a controller is just so damn slow for me in regards of reflexes, so the slower input might affect it.

good thing your superpowers and lightening reflexes don’t extend to your eyesight. Because you’d then realize those blacks you’re looking at are grey and you’d be sad. Please don’t ever watch someone play a next gen console on an Oled.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
both the One S and One X support 4K60 and 1440p120 yes, the question was if Sony will support it because they haven't on Pro

Do XB1X games actually render at 1440p native with that output, or are they downscaled from whatever higher resolution they actually render at? My point is that to get an actual benefit from a 1440p monitor vs a TV that does 4K120, the games would have to explicitly support 1440p120, right? While also supporting 4K120 (upscaled). So more resolutions for devs to optimize for.

Banned
Do XB1X games actually render at 1440p native with that output, or are they downscaled from whatever higher resolution they actually render at? My point is that to get an actual benefit from a 1440p monitor vs a TV that does 4K120, the games would have to explicitly support 1440p120, right? While also supporting 4K120 (upscaled). So more resolutions for devs to optimize for.

games on One X need in game options if they want to change render resolutions. the system settings don't do anything to the game's render resolution.

120hz tho forces Vsync which has some positive and some negative consequences depending on game.

Last edited:

The_Mike

good thing your superpowers and lightening reflexes don’t extend to your eyesight. Because you’d then realize those blacks you’re looking at are grey and you’d be sad. Please don’t ever watch someone play a next gen console on an Oled.

Back at that shit that the eyes only can see 30 fps shit again are we?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
games on One X need in game options if they want to change render resolutions. the system settings don't do anything to the game's render resolution.

That's what I thought. So if we assume that will still be the case, on both consoles, what is the point BenQ is trying to make here? Why would I want a 1440p monitor over a 4K120 TV?

But of course, if you already have such a monitor 1440p output is a good thing. I guess the problem with PS4 Pro currently is that on a 1440p display it will output 1080p (downscaled, and then upscaled again by the monitor)?

Banned

just because someone isn't a filthy casual like you doesn't mean you need superpowers to detect input latency ;)

LQX

This was one of my most wanted features for the PS5 as I much prefer gaming on my monitor. It was ridiculous the PS4 did not fully support 1440p. I might now hold off on my OLED purchase as the PS5 was probably the only real reason I was thinking of upgrading my 1080p Vizio as I hardly if ever watch TV and I'm very content with gaming at 1440p on my PC.

Banned
That's what I thought. So if we assume that will still be the case, on both consoles, what is the point BenQ is trying to make here? Why would I want a 1440p monitor over a 4K120 TV?

But of course, if you already have such a monitor 1440p output is a good thing. I guess the problem with PS4 Pro currently is that on a 1440p display it will output 1080p (downscaled, and then upscaled again by the monitor)?

this topic is about the PS5 and Series X, which is a whole different story. you said Xbox One X, and all I told you was how that console works.
the Series X/S works similarly minus the forced vsync.
many games already confirmed 1440p120fps or 1080p120fps modes on Seriee X/S

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
it's kinda sad that a monitor manufacturer had to announce this while Sony didn't say a word about this.

but that's great great news... NOW PATCH IT INTO THE DAMN PS4 PRO OS! The Pro will move to the PC screen once the PS5 is in da house, and I would love for it to actually use the full resolution of it!
doubly so because the Pro became more and more a 1440p system as many developers stopped using checkerboarding to reach 1800cb or 2160cb

Just sell your pro and get another ps5, it will pay for like 60-70% of a ps5, especially if you throw in a few old games you don't play anymore.

which is 99% irrelevant for almost all gamers.

TVs have around 15ms of input lag on gaming mode usually, so while it is "15 times more than on 1ms display", I would claim that nobody but maybe beat em up professionals on console world could notice it in even in theory.

After all playing with controller is much less precise than mouse. And even from PC gamers I would argue that majority wont gain anything from 1ms vs 15ms display, or even 30ms. It goes so much above average reaction times after all, so other skills have higher priority, and even those almost 100% only in competitive games.

So yes, it is true, but also I would not think about it too much.

great picture quality is much bigger source of enjoyment than super fast pixels, which almost always mean that fast monitors have worse image quality, compared to good tvs.

There is no "lots of delay" on good tvs, havent been in years. lots would be like +40-50ms in my books

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Guys... This goes way beyond the monitor vs. tv discussion.

I, for example, doesn't have to do anything when I get the PS5 - plug'n'play! Even my capture card supports 1440p/120hz passthrough - so no need to change that either.

- and let's face it, for guys like me, who mainly plays FPS games - this:
1440p will be supported by the PS5 with a higher likelihood of 120Hz in that resolution.

Top Bottom