• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

News Bernie Sanders Backs Decriminalization of Illegal Border Crossings

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Bernie Sanders is adding his support to a call by some of his fellow presidential hopefuls for decriminalizing illegal border crossings.

The Vermont senator released a detailed immigration policy proposal Thursday, writing that unauthorized presence in the United States should be "a civil, not a criminal, offense.''

Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren called in July for repealing the criminal prohibition against crossing the border illegally, promising in her own immigration plan to ``immediately issue guidance to end criminal prosecutions for simple administrative immigration violations.''
Remember during that one debate, the candidates were asked if their healthcare plans would support illegal immigrants and all the candidates raised their hands? Then they asked another question about allowing illegals to cross illegally, legally, and all but Biden and Klobuchar raised their hands?

Remember how after that debate nearly every candidate dropped in the polls because of how dumb that was?

I have good news for Trump voters, the Democrats have not learned their lesson at all, and are doubling down on the same talking point that proved to be unpopular with the American public. Except Joe Biden, he still thinks it's a crime because he knows if he pivots left, he'll fall to around 4th place after losing his moderate and Independent support.

Looking at the immigration "policies" of the candidates who support this, it seems this will become a major part of the parties platform. That seems really, uh, dumb, but hey if they want to lose they want to lose. We can't make their decisions for them.

DeSo

Dec 10, 2009
Australia

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

He's just lowering the offense.

In all fairness, Afro has a point. We saw the result of reducing penalties to the point where prosecution becomes too bothersome:

• LOL
Reactions: Virex

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
I can't fuck with this.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sanders-immigration-plan
The plan was written in conjunction with several illegal immigrants who were shielded from deportation by former President Barack Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
I can't find anything to support what Fox News is saying in the above source, that this was written in conjunction with DACA dreamers, but if true you really shouldn't be writing policy plans based on inputs from non-citizens.

DeSo

Dec 10, 2009
Australia
I apologize for Rupert Murdoch, he's fucked our nation too

You know what, fuck the poor, I'm rich, they don't deserve shit.

Welcome to America.

Last edited:

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
I apologize for Rupert Murdoch, he's fucked our nation too
Interesting profile there.

He's just lowering the offense.

In all fairness, Afro has a point. We saw the result of reducing penalties to the point where prosecution becomes too bothersome:

Bernies has already made his stance on how courts should handle illegals, this move to a "civil" offense is nothing but a sham, and is the same thing as it being legal because my making it a "criminal offense" there had to be procedures done for those who entered, while making it a "civil offense" removes those specific procedures.

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Oct 26, 2018
Bernie has multiple houses. And none of them are remotely close to the US/Mexico border. So what does he care? He's got two homes in Vermont. A state that has money and is almost all White. Wiki says Vermont is about 95% White people.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: infinitys_7th

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
The headline is kinda fake news, kinda not. Sanders does not intend to make illegal immigration "legal." He wants to make it a civil issue. However, in the real world, it would make illegal crossings like a slap on the wrist. Typical Liberal solutions of big problems. Make the punishment go away, and exacerbate the problem. Blame all who are in favor of a real solution as a racist. Collect votes from poor losers.

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
i rather hire an illegal immigrant to do my lawn than a white kid. They're cheaper and they know what they're doing. Look at how good my grass looks. Beautiful. I could do it myself, but why? Have you seen them? They have that lawn game on lock. One of them is pruning, one is removing weeds, another one is trimming my branches, another one is mowing the lawn, and another one doing clean up.

Blade2.0

Dec 3, 2018
The headline is kinda fake news, kinda not. Sanders does not intend to make illegal immigration "legal." He wants to make it a civil issue. However, in the real world, it would make illegal crossings like a slap on the wrist. Typical Liberal solutions of big problems. Make the punishment go away, and exacerbate the problem. Blame all who are in favor of a real solution as a racist. Collect votes from poor losers.
How is what we're doing now a real solution? Has it deterred people from crossing, no. It just makes shit worse on top of it

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
So what does that mean to change it to a civil offense?

Sounds like a really stupid plan. He hasn't had good press for a while now. Bernie's making mistakes he can't afford to make.

Oct 26, 2018
So what does that mean to change it to a civil offense?

Sounds like a really stupid plan. He hasn't had good press for a while now. Bernie's making mistakes he can't afford to make.
Losing a civil case means no criminal record.

Civil court is for petty shit and non-criminal disputes. It's for things like you broke your neighbour's lawnmower and he wants you to pay him $300. If you don't, he'll sue you. For more serious things like breaking a business contract, that's civil too (if there's no criminal intent like one side scamming the other, which would be fraud and criminal).

Making illegal immigrants face civil system basically means nothing because most of them probably have nothing to pay anyway. And they'll gladly exchange a civil ruling against them if they can still stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miku Miku

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Losing a civil case means no criminal record.

Civil court is for petty shit and non-criminal disputes. It's for things like you broke your neighbour's lawnmower and he wants you to pay him $300. If you don't, he'll sue you. For more serious things like breaking a business contract, that's civil too (if there's no criminal intent like one side scamming the other, which would be fraud and criminal).

Making illegal immigrants face civil system basically means nothing because most of them probably have nothing to pay anyway. And they'll gladly exchange a civil ruling against them if they can still stay.
Yeah if it became a civil punishment it would be about as threatening as this:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I'm all for different ideas. I just can't begin to understand why anyone would think the idea of decriminalizing border crossing and opening up welfare to non citizens is a good idea.

For those immigrants, illegal or not, who are in the country, Sanders accelerates the sometimes-cautious calls by the 2020 Democratic field to include illegal immigrants in welfare programs and other government services such as health care. Under Sanders, everything is on the table for everyone in the country regardless of immigration status.

Sanders promises that both his “Medicare-for-all” and “College-for-all” plans would be available regardless of immigration status. He also wants to include free universal school meals -- breakfast, lunch, dinner (and snacks) -- regardless of immigration status.

Reactions: Miku Miku

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
I'm all for different ideas. I just can't begin to understand why anyone would think the idea of decriminalizing border crossing and opening up welfare to non citizens is a good idea.
It's a great idea.
If you want to destroy the country faster

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
No, they are making it a civil offense. Big difference. States are decriminalizing weed. we aren't decriminalizing boarder crossings.
yes they are. This policy directly disallows these crimes to be pursued as a criminal offense. That is decriminalization.

Oct 26, 2018
It's called buying Votes from have-nots, with the assumption the average American who works and pays taxes is A-OK with it by paying an extra 1% here, another 0.5% there, another 1% there in taxes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepEnigma