• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Anime Season 2 |OT| wacky waving inflatable sword man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What're people's impressions of this Season so far? Is Season 2 any better than the first? I haven't been keeping up but I'm cautiously optimistic that this season will be an improvement over the first.

Its worse in my opinion.

What're people's impressions of this Season so far? Is Season 2 any better than the first? I haven't been keeping up but I'm cautiously optimistic that this season will be an improvement over the first.
Smoke crack and go to sleep instead of watching this.

This looks really bad.
giphy.gif

20 FPS.

Wait a minute. Is it me or does something look really strange with the cannon arm? It looks like it's made of lego or something. Why does that hole just suddenly appear out of thin air?

Osukaa

**Sigh** I love Berserk I wish they would get a proper studio and budget to do the Manga justice but I don't know if it'll happen ever lol. The new anime season looks as bad as people say it does but it is an improvement in "quality" from season 1. Its still watchable to me.

I could be talking out of desperation to like it but meh I say give it watch. Even though it could be way better and despite its flaws and pacing I'll keep watching. Gotta do something to keep busy until the next manga is available ...in like 10 years -_-

KHlover

Banned
Wait a minute. Is it me or does something look really strange with the cannon arm? It looks like it's made of lego or something. Why does that hole just suddenly appear out of thin air?

To be fair - it's kinda the same in the manga. The berserker armor covers the entire hand and just ...kinda vanishes... in that spot when Guts uses the cannon. In one panel you see the armor covering the hand, in the next panel you can see the tip of the barrel. Of course the animation could have been better, but the anime isn't wrong per se in that scene.

EDIT:

l1WZZ6G.png

panel in question

KHlover

Banned
I actually laughed out loud when it cut to that raven's "caw". Dunno what that was supposed to be, but it definitely wasn't a raven.

Gulz1992

Here's a better look at the canon "transformation".
fXzTRrK.gif

Just a reminder that this is what the PS2 version of this scene looked like:

kkgyIRo.gif

EDIT:

Hahaha

Guts' leg clipping through the tree.
Q0vPDw5.gif

More brilliant running animation.
0vPn9UV.gif

MechaX

0vPn9UV.gif

This is absolutely unacceptable and if anyone argues to the contrary, you're just wrong.

Even fucking South Park can depict movement and perspective better with this kind of camera angle.

Edit: THE SWORD CLANGS WHEN HE PUSHES IT INTO THE DIRT I AM DONE

Gulz1992

Beating a dead horse, I know, but this anime was made by a team of people in 2017 and manages to look worse than the FMV's from a 1998 PS1 game that were made by one guy who only had one year of CG experience.

giphy.gif

Grunbeld turning into a dragon is hype as fuck in the manga...here...uggghhh...fuck it...This fucking show is better off ripping the assets straight out of Bloodborne. Watcher of the Old Lords is way more accurate of a representation for Guts' inner demon than what's in here. I'm only on 10 minutes of this, this is painful...

0vPn9UV.gif

I don't understand how they could possibly fuck up something as simple as a bunch of people running away. But here is proof that no matter how bad I think the quality of this adaptation is, it can and will get worse. Seriously, why are they just running in place without moving forwards? It can't possibly be that hard to do, can it?

You know...like even Ed motherfucking Wood could find an accurate sound clip of a crow cawing. "We don't have the budget or time to animate all these faces, so let's just shroud them in shadow!!!" Did they pull that alligator out of Resident Evil 2? These fucks couldn't even animate that elephant demon falling properly.

Arkeband

Banned
For that episode having extra time in the oven, it sure didn't seem like it. What a waste of one of the best kinetic scenes in the manga.

Does anybody know if Miura even knows about this damn thing? Like has he seen it or just writes "The new season is airing" on the manga covers due to paycheck or something. Cause this anime is quite frankly dog shit and he must know it.

Gulz1992

Does anybody know if Miura even knows about this damn thing? Like has he seen it or just writes "The new season is airing" on the manga covers due to paycheck or something. Cause this anime is quite frankly dog shit and he must know it.

As far as I know, the only thing he's said about it is that he was watching it every week with excitement. That's it. He made no compliment on the quality or said if he likes it. The fact that he did not praise it tells me that he has no praise to give it. I could be wrong and he could in fact think highly of it, but we have no evidence of that.

I'm pretty sure he played a very small role with this anime. He wrote episode 3 of the 2016 season but he had almost nothing to do with the rest of the show.

As far as I know, the only thing he's said about it is that he was watching it every week with excitement. That's it. He made no compliment on the quality or said if he likes it. The fact that he did not praise it tells me that he has no praise to give it. I could be wrong and he could in fact think highly of it, but we have no evidence of that.

I'm pretty sure he played a very small role with this anime. He wrote episode 3 of the 2016 season but he had almost nothing to do with the rest of the show.
What did he do to deserve watching this shit on a weekly basis? Maybe it's a clause in his contract.

Gulz1992

This post from Reddit mentions this. Basically, Japanese culture in general is big on showing respect to others, and it's incredibly rare to hear a mangaka saying anything negative about an adaptation. Akira Toriyama is notorious for answering questions about Dragon Ball adaptations the same way. He basically always says "I hope you enjoy this adaptation" and gives no comment whatsoever on the work itself.

This post from Reddit mentions this. Basically, Japanese culture in general is big on showing respect to others, and it's incredibly rare to hear a mangaka saying anything negative about an adaptation. Akira Toriyama is notorious for answering questions about Dragon Ball adaptations the same way. He basically always says "I hope you enjoy this adaptation" and gives no comment whatsoever on the work itself.
So there is no Mangaka like Alan Moore?

VariantX

God, the shows direction is far more brutal than any violence depicted in the manga. There are machinima guys on YouTube that are on par or better with likely far less resources available to them.

Gulz1992

I think that's the thing that offends me the most about this show. There are people online who have made better looking animations in their spare time for free. That this show could masquerade as a professional product is an insult to the anime industry.

Zolo

Akira Toriyama is notorious for answering questions about Dragon Ball adaptations the same way. He basically always says "I hope you enjoy this adaptation" and gives no comment whatsoever on the work itself.

It seems that the Daizenshuu this time is on what you’d call the first part of the anime. To tell the truth, when it was just beginning, something about the anime was gentle in a Dr. Slump sort of way you could say, and forced the sweetness somewhat, so I remember not liking it too much. But it seems with everyone else, there are quite a lot of people who say they like that period because it was cute. Either way, I am truly indebted to everyone on the staff and am very thankful.

–Akira Toriyama
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/daizenshuu-3-toriyama-intro/

Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime, so it seems that Dragon Ball has grown on me [so] much that I can't leave it alone.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/41ozq9/akira_toriyama_complained_to_toei_about_the/

Damn, sad to see this anime is still terrible. Those gifs are painful.
I think it took me 45 minutes to finish the episode. I normally watch it while I'm eating so I'm not focused 100% on it, but this time I didn't. I actually sat down and tried to focus on it. Not eating a plate of eggs or a veggie burger while watching it really made the mediocrity on display painful. I just took breaks and my mind wandered while watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom