• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Gets New Anime Project Featuring Guts as 'Black Swordsman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

It's ~25 episodes.

Fuck that isn't much time at all.

No way they can fit Guts vs Baron all the way to Guts vs Mozgus and Griffith's Reincarnation in 25 episodes.

Hell they have to have the Count arc. That's too important. And Mozgus is already confirmed.

I feel like Rosine is for the chop. Which fucking sucks.

I liked that it was very fluid and had a great sense of dynamism and motion, but I do think the storyboards they were working from when they were putting together keyframes probably weren't great.

So, good animation but not great direction, I guess I would say.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I liked that it was very fluid and had a great sense of dynamism and motion, but I do think the storyboards they were working from when they were putting together keyframes probably weren't great.

So, good animation but not great direction, I guess I would say.

What? The animation is choppy as hell, which almost every CGI scenes in anime suffer from. Or are you talking about he old tv series?

nvm, it's about naruto.

Ralemont

not me
What? The animation is choppy as hell, which almost every CGI scenes in anime suffer from. Or are you talking about he old tv series?

Think that post was about the Naruto tangent

Naruto v Pain had some of the best animation in the series, but the art was bad. Important distinction, because other eps have good art and bad animation, and some eps have good art and animation.

Compare that ep with the ep right before, which had the best art in the series and also very good animation:

pain-mata-a-hinata-o.gif

Cwarrior

I still can't believe the first movie skipped the bomb fire of dreams scene in the gold age arc it was one the best scenes in the manga and the first anime(also a really important scene imo).

I can safley say at least this can't be worse then the movies, that team should of be thrown of cliff for there crimes.

Moaradin

I still can't believe the first movie skipped the bomb fire of dreams scene in the gold age arc it was one the best scenes in the manga and the first anime(also a really important scene imo).

I can safley say at least this can't be worse then the movies, that team should of be thrown of cliff for there crimes.

Those movies skipped a lot of important character moments. It honestly felt like a clip show at times. I couldn't recommend those movies to someone without reading the manga or watching the anime first.

Hopefully the pacing is decent for this since they have more room to work with. Even if it looks ugly as sin.

sorry guys, i like the way this looks, and if using cg means we are going to be having more spacial awareness during combat scenes and not panning across stills, i welcome it.

dan2026

sorry guys, i like the way this looks, and if using cg means we are going to be having more spacial awareness during combat scenes and not panning across stills, i welcome it.
I don't love it. But I can deal with it.

I am more worried about them skipping stuff.

Think that post was about the Naruto tangent

Naruto v Pain had some of the best animation in the series, but the art was bad. Important distinction, because other eps have good art and bad animation, and some eps have good art and animation.

Compare that ep with the ep right before, which had the best art in the series and also very good animation:

pain-mata-a-hinata-o.gif
I hate this part...woman gets her shit beat in and Naruto doesn't even thank her.

Man, that animation is a massive buzzkill. It looks absolutely terrible. Like, around 1:05 with Farnese on the horse, Farnese's hair doesn't move in the slightest. It's hilariously bad.

That being said, I'm hopeful the content aside from the animation will be good. Please be good. Please.

Fuck that isn't much time at all.

No way they can fit Guts vs Baron all the way to Guts vs Mozgus and Griffith's Reincarnation in 25 episodes.

Hell they have to have the Count arc. That's too important. And Mozgus is already confirmed.

I feel like Rosine is for the chop. Which fucking sucks.

This is the vibe I'm getting, too. Which sucks because I was really looking forward to seeing the Lost Children arc animated. If does manage to get included in the new TV show, it'd probably be chopped down to a single episode.

StoneFox

Skipping/abridging arcs (supposedly) in Berserk is disappointing. The animation work is disappointing as well, but I guess it could be worse. But skimping on story is :(

Is Berserk more popular in the West than in Japan? I feel like maybe it just isn't popular enough to gain the attention of a studio with a higher budget, or that it's high risk somehow... maybe when the manga is finished in 20 years a studio will pick it up with amazing animation covering all the volumes.

I kinda wish Guts' original voice actor was in this too.

Skipping/abridging arcs (supposedly) in Berserk is disappointing. The animation work is disappointing as well, but I guess it could be worse. But skimping on story is :(

Is Berserk more popular in the West than in Japan? I feel like maybe it just isn't popular enough to gain the attention of a studio with a higher budget, or that it's high risk somehow... maybe when the manga is finished in 20 years a studio will pick it up with amazing animation covering all the volumes.

I kinda wish Guts' original voice actor was in this too.
Have you seen the state of Western animation these days? Maybe if Guts was a DC hero he'd get animated.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Have you seen the state of Western animation these days? Maybe if Guts was a DC hero he'd get animated.

Not something I'd look forward to honestly. DC is better at animated movies than Marvel but most of the movies are still pretty bad outside of a few stand outs. Not too mention they are never lookers.

Looks bad but I have to admit, I'm still excited as fuck to see it. At least it looks more consistent in its blend of drawn and CG animation then the movies. I may actually get used to it by the end.

you like the horrible shadows and artstyle? The movies looked better than this, and I'm not talking animations quality, I'm speaking at least in the art department it seemed to have looked better.

Quan

I started crying midway and the tears didn't allow me to watch it in detail. Seems on point though.

X2F4ZHD.png

What is this shit? His chin is almost in his collar bone.

Fuck off you fuckers. At least draw him well.

Unbelievable, my little brother can draw better than this. What the fuck is wrong with his face???

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I thought the trailer was hype and am looking forward to this anime.

you like the horrible shadows and artstyle? The movies looked better than this, and I'm not talking animations quality, I'm speaking at least in the art department it seemed to have looked better.

yes the grittiness of it all is what is appealing, to contrast where the movies looked to clean, this looks more like a graphic novel of sorts, its not always spot on, but it looks better than the movies imo

Tizoc

Ot draft is ready
Gonna check it wth serk-gaf and likely have it up a week before the anime airs so peopel can catch up via movie trilogy or manga.

qcf x2

I can't think of a single where mixing CG with anime didn't look like shit. It even looks like shit in Ghibli's movies.

Diebuster and Gurren Lagann are the two I can think of. Looks awesome in Diebuster. This looks terrible, sadly.

Meh, doesn't "look" very good, but if they adapt the manga well we should get some amazing episodes. I can get past the look, at least we get a new Berserk anime!
If the fights are good, I think the looks don't matter that much.

edit: didn't mind the look of the movies either, but the original Anime still looks best!

Dez_

Not really digging the general look of this, but I'm still honestly glad to see Berserk animated in some kind of fashion. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

How the fuck do you even do this?

This is assuming they had done quite a bit of work by the time the Dec 2015 trailer came out.

Did they scrap it all like "no wait this looks like shit, let;s make it even shitter to REALLY stick it to fans"

Ah, another rushed messy anime adaptation of Berserk, what is new? Never would have figured that the video games are the best adaptations of the work so far. and that the 90s version would still be the most faithful rendition (which still wasn't exactly close either). Irony.

The PS2 game had better CG, ffs.

Gitaroo

Seriously, all these companies that is doing cg for anime should watch the video of how arc systems work uploaded for guilty gear xrd. Maybe even use UE4 and render at 4k with some 980ti, it would still look better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom