• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Musou (PS4/PS3/Vita) teaser trailer announced for Japan, site opens June 23rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't all Musou games have other characters you can play as? They don't even need that much for this game, but I will be super disappointed if we could only play as Guts. I'd hope for at least Guts, Casca, Hawk, Skull Knight, Farnese and Serpico. The rest of the Godhand would be great too
I doubt we'll only have Guts to play as

Hell, chances are even fucking Puck might be playable.

Don't know what their obsession is with showing Caska naked and in a horrific situation. Wouldn't it make more sense to show her in her current state rather than what happened. To her during the eclipse. It's sickening that they take such an intense moment from the manga and push it into people's faces for marketing. It's fucking stupid.

This marketing is complete shit.

And that poster so bad compared to what Kentaro can do. Why don't they just hire the guy who actually makes the manga to do the official artwork. That CG looks atrocious.
I understand people finding this tasteless, but this is Berserk. It has always pandered like this. The cover to volume 13 isn't wildly out of tone with this marketing.

I assume the game is starting with the Eclipse and that's why the marketing is so far focusing on it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I understand people finding this tasteless, but this is Berserk. It has always pandered like this. The cover to volume 13 isn't wildly out of tone with this marketing.

I assume the game is starting with the Eclipse and that's why the marketing is so far focusing on it.

Eh its got nudity on it but the cover isn't exactly erotic or titillating with Guts holding her unconscious body looking like he's been dragged behind a truck for a few miles and is surrounded by horrific monsters in a pool of blood while looking like he wants to kill everything ever. I mean it might turn on Danzig but I think the cover is meant to be shocking and horrifying than arousing.

Looks like this will go past The Golden Age arc judging my the armour Guts has on! HYYYPE!

That looks like golden age armor to me man. I really hope they go well beyond that arc.

berserk_02_cs1w1_400x.jpg

003.jpg

Eh its got nudity on it but the cover isn't exactly erotic or titillating with Guts holding her unconscious body looking like he's been dragged behind a truck for a few miles and is surrounded by horrific monsters in a pool of blood while looking like he wants to kill everything ever. I mean it might turn on Danzig but I think the cover is meant to be shocking and horrifying than arousing.

It's basic woman-in-peril stuff, and Casca's body is absolutely eroticized from the focus on her pert breasts, her genitals only just barely in shadow, the pose showing off her voluptuous thighs, the shiny youthful shading on her skin (compare it to how dirty and damaged Guts looks).

I agree there's a heavy horror element too, but there's a long history of art combining that with the erotic and Berserk has always been big on that. (Here's an interesting book I own that is filled with that sort of thing.)

Here's a high resolution image of the cover I'm talking about, if anybody needs context: super NSFW. This is Berserk 'advertising' from nearly two decades ago. I'm not saying this video isn't possibly worse, but they aren't worlds apart either. I'd argue the poster is maybe even better, in terms of Erotic Violence.

HStallion

It's basic woman-in-peril stuff, and Casca's body is absolutely eroticized from the focus on her pert breasts, her genitals only just barely in shadow, the pose showing off her voluptuous thighs, the shiny youthful shading on her skin (compare it to how dirty and damaged Guts looks).

I agree there's a heavy horror element too, but there's a long history of art combining that with the erotic and Berserk has always been big on that. (Here's an interesting book I own that is filled with that sort of thing.)

Here's a high resolution image of the cover I'm talking about, if anybody needs context: super NSFW. This is Berserk 'advertising' from nearly two decades ago. I'm not saying this video isn't possibly worse, but they aren't worlds apart either. I'd argue the poster is maybe even better, in terms of Erotic Violence.

Oh it has erotic elements but I'd also argue they don't use it as a sales tool for the manga. Most things Berserk are usually Guts, the Dragon Slayer or Griffith. Most of the covers of the Volumes aren't nearly that graphic. Most of the statues are of epic battles and characters striking poses, much the same for things like posters and such, and so on. Usually its the gore and violence and the "epic" things that they focus on for advertising which is why focusing on the Eclipse and Casca's role in it is weirder to me.

Oh it has erotic elements but I'd also argue they don't use it as a sales tool for the manga. Most things Berserk are usually Guts, the Dragon Slayer or Griffith. Most of the covers of the Volumes aren't nearly that graphic. Most of the statues are of epic battles and characters striking poses, much the same for things like posters and such, and so on. Usually its the gore and violence and the "epic" things that they focus on for advertising which is why focusing on the Eclipse and Casca's role in it is weirder to me.

I basically agree -- though this specific cover got a very detailed statue, it's a pretty famous cover for the series, and I'm pretty sure it or at least something like it was also used for the first anime series -- but if the game starts with volume 13 content like I'm assuming then this marketing isn't out of tone for the series. Guess in a couple weeks we'll see!

I know for me when I saw this teaser I was mostly thinking "Yes, it's not another Golden Age retread!" and that likely was at least some part of their intention.

raven777

some info from the magazines. I don't know Berserk so not sure with some of the terms

-The game takes place from golden age upto black swordsman
-Some scenes from 1997 anime and movie are used, as well as brand new stuff for the game. There will be a lot of scenes.
-the game is not directly tied with the newly airing Berserk anime. The game is made so even people who are not familiar with Berserk can enjoy
-There are huge boss battles, 1v1 against boss, fighting against small enemies and boss popping up during the battle
-lots of boss characters in the game, like zodd and bull/ox monster.
-Guts' fighting style changes as the story progresses in the manga, and the game will reflect that in the gameplay
-As with other Musou games, Guts is not the only playble character.
-the game's visual style will be similar to the poster
-The core target audience for the game is the fans of the original manga. But newcomers will also be able to enjoy the game.
-Japan and West have different restrictions for gore/erotic. Japan is more strict on gore stuff, while West is more strict on erotic stuff. So they want to get the balance right while staying true to the original.
-they will release a video featuring Guts soon.

I really enjoyed the Dreamcast game (my only experience with the Berserk franchise). And I enjoy musou.

Day 1 for me (probably Vita version).

Tohsaka

some info from the magazines. I don't know Berserk so not sure with some of the terms

-Some scenes from 1997 anime and movie are used, as well as brand new stuff for the game. There will be a lot of scenes.
-the game is not directly tied with the newly airing Berserk anime. The game is made so even people who are not familiar with Berserk can enjoy
-There are huge boss battles, 1v1 against boss, fighting against small enemies and boss popping up during the battle
-Guts' fighting style changes as the story progresses in the manga, and the game will reflect that in the gameplay
-The core target audience for the game is the fans of the original manga. But newcomers will also be able to enjoy the game.
-Japan and West have different restrictions for gore/erotic. Japan is more strict on gore stuff, while West is more strict on erotic stuff. So they want to get the balance right while staying true to the original.

Thanks for that. I think it's kind of ironic that he says the west is more strict on erotic stuff, when we actually nudity in some of our games and Japan censors them when they get localized over there.

UrbanRats

Don't know what their obsession is with showing Caska naked and in a horrific situation. Wouldn't it make more sense to show her in her current state rather than what happened. To her during the eclipse. It's sickening that they take such an intense moment from the manga and push it into people's faces for marketing. It's fucking stupid.

This marketing is complete shit.

And that poster so bad compared to what Kentaro can do. Why don't they just hire the guy who actually makes the manga to do the official artwork. That CG looks atrocious.

He should dedicate any pen to paper moment of his life to finishing the goddamn story first, instead of wasting time on a stupid poster.

raven777

Thanks for that. I think it's kind of ironic that he says the west is more strict on erotic stuff, when we actually nudity in some of our games and Japan censors them when they get localized over there.

Yea I get what you mean. But I guess it's more about the implication of erotic stuff, not the actual nudity where West is more strict I guess. Like West is fine with showing girl's breast (which Japan can't), but when it comes to perv stuff and rape implication, I guess West is more strict on those?
Also it might have to do with the the reception, not the actual ratings. In Japan Cero ratings are strict on stuff like breasts but once you get past that there isn't any fanbase or media that will complain about erotic stuff in the game. But in the west fans and media's voice are a lot louder I think.

Fuck yeah! Happy this does indeed cover golden age. Most people may be sick and tired of it, but we never had that in videogame form as far as I can tell. I personally love that arc and never bothered with the new movies and other stuff. So I'm down with this! So hyped! If this is not a simultanous release I'm double dipping so hard!

Thin White Duke

Neo Member
I am extremely excited for this! I only have a surface knowledge of musous, but is it not usually the case that you don't outright kill in them but rather "lower the morale" of enemies (by attacks with lethal weapons...)? Considering the source material, it would be weird if you didn't kill people but looking at the genre it would also be weird if you did.

I am extremely excited for this! I only have a surface knowledge of musous, but is it not usually the case that you don't outright kill in them but rather "lower the morale" of enemies (by attacks with lethal weapons...)? Considering the source material, it would be weird if you didn't kill people but looking at the genre it would also be weird if you did.
You do indeed kill in musou games. Generals tend to escape if they show up later for story reasons, but they can die if thats not the case. Empires games tend to have generals not die at all on the battlefield though.

I guess I'm not surprised it's starting at the golden age. They've got to have content for sequels, but damn it I wanted Conviction-Millennium Falcon.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Whas there any mentioning of who is doing the soundtrack and if they are re-using tracks from the 90's anime series? Please be Hirasawa.

I guess I'm not surprised it's starting at the golden age. They've got to have content for sequels, but damn it I wanted Conviction-Millennium Falcon.

Hey, at least we get to the Black Swordsman Arc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yea I get what you mean. But I guess it's more about the implication of erotic stuff, not the actual nudity where West is more strict I guess. Like West is fine with showing girl's breast (which Japan can't), but when it comes to perv stuff and rape implication, I guess West is more strict on those?
Also it might have to do with the the reception, not the actual ratings. In Japan Cero ratings are strict on stuff like breasts but once you get past that there isn't any fanbase or media that will complain about erotic stuff in the game. But in the west fans and media's voice are a lot louder I think.

Yeah, this is a statement about cultural norms and expectations more than actual ratings.

Do you mean Fist of North Star here? I'm pretty sure the Japanese releases were CERO D, but the western versions had drastically increased amounts of blood and gore that would have assuredly gotten it a Z if that was the version that was released.

Yeah, I meant Fists... For some reason I mixed those 2 up. Ah, I forgot that the west and japanese versions were different. Kinda like a No More Heroes PS3 thing.

CamHostage

I think it's kind of ironic that he says the west is more strict on erotic stuff, when we actually nudity in some of our games and Japan censors them when they get localized over there.

Yeah, I think there's a grave misunderstanding of why Japanese products are being criticized for sexual content...

When a good portion of the games out of Japan, in all genres and for all age groups, have pre-teen girls in low-cut or panty-revealing outfits for the interests of otaku collectors, that's a problem. True, the uproar has spilled over into adult-oriented products like DOAX3 (I still believe Bandai Namco is skipping that game less because of "social justice warrior" interests and more because DOA3 re-established the brand and also BN is in good standing now, so a silly and shallow T&A game could do little good for their name and their brand worldwide,) but truly adult content has a place in all societies. And although sexism and grotesque subjugation should be held in check, the female form has an iconic history in all forms of art (particularly adult art) and is an important part of the expression of sensuality and lust (in a way that the male body rarely is; we're maybe not getting enough eye-candy for the ladies, but few are saying that exposing lots more penises is what people want... though some are.) Having creepy sexual content in Berserk may be controversial, but Berserk is supposed to be controversial. That's the brand, that's the genre, that's the material, that's the dark corner that we all know is only for some to explore.

I firmly believe Berserk Musou could be and should be marketed in all territories that the anime is popular, and unlike DOAX, I don't see a major backlash standing in its way.

HStallion

I know. Believe me, I'm glad we're getting another Berserk game. It's just, I think we've had enough Golden Age adaptions.

I was hoping we'd at least get to use Guts in the Berserk Armor but I guess we'll see how far this goes in the storyline.

Having creepy sexual content in Berserk may be controversial, but Berserk is supposed to be controversial. That's the brand, that's the genre, that's the material, that's the dark corner that we all know is only for some to explore.

I firmly believe Berserk Musou could be and should be marketed in all territories that the anime is popular, and unlike DOAX, I don't see a major backlash standing in its way.

This. Cannot agree more. You do a dis-service to the brand by holding back on the content the series is known for.

dawgparty

Kind of surprised by everyone defending the idiotic teaser and poster. Nobody here is arguing that the Eclipse/rape in general Shouldn't be in Berserk - the point is that they are advertising a video game by showing trying to show sexy rape. That's fucked up. Is this a VR hentai game or a musou?Jesus.

Kind of surprised by everyone defending the idiotic teaser and poster. Nobody here is arguing that the Eclipse/rape in general Shouldn't be in Berserk - the point is that they are advertising a video game by showing trying to show sexy rape. That's fucked up. Is this a VR hentai game or a musou?Jesus.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom