• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Veelk

Banned
To be fair I think this says less about Berserk and more on the general reactions this kind of imagery gets in general. There was a lot of stuff I felt was worth talking about or reacting to in this last episode aside from the dick monsters but most people were just posting the "that's a penis" gif over and over again.

Yeah, we have a kind of inherent laughing reaction to penis'.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing because it's so taboo or if the penis is just inherently a funny looking thing. I also wonder if it had different reactions in Japan.

Regardless, it's just not the type of reaction I think Miura was going for.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah, we have a kind of inherent laughing reaction to penis'.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing because it's so taboo or if the penis is just inherently a funny looking thing. I also wonder if it had different reactions in Japan.

Regardless, it's just not the type of reaction I think Miura was going for.

They have an entire festival/holiday around dicks where they have big parades full of giant penis floats, erect penis statues all over and even have stuff like penis shape fruit pops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanamara_Matsuri

HStallion

That simultaneously tells me nothing and too much.

My point was that they seem fine with displaying cocks all over the place and even having a big festival around them with families and parades without it instantly devolving into a big joke. They also have other holidays and such that have a penis focus like some of their harvest festivals. Seems to be a bit more common and mundane symbol or imagery than in the US

I honestly think including something like penis monsters is kind of inherently schlocky and you kind of lose the chance to get all deep and introspective when you summon a giant Mozgus head to chomp on them.

Are these supposed to be personifications of a traumatic experience or video game enemies?

You're contradicting yourself entirely here. If you can 'criticize and react however you want" then you can't just immediately turn around on that and say it's on the viewer for having 'inadequate' expectations for criticizing and reacting the chapter negatively.

If the dick monsters are horrific to you, cool, but it's clear your in the minority given the "DICKS EVERWHERE LUL" reactions everyone else is having.

And your response to actual rape victim psychology is facetious to the point of tastelessness. Rape actually happens and victims of it often share their experiences. Being mindful about the reality of what happens when depicting the consequences of such an event is kinda important, both for the story's versimilitudeness and just basic decency.

I'm not contradicting anything. Your criticism holds as much value as you want, but the author's representations of sexual imagery has been extremely constant since the very first panels. It's your choice to go through that nuisance every single episode. As for me being a minority, I have no idea who you represent nor it's relevant as I was addressing only your opinion (and before I wrote this I did checked sk, mal, even reddit and many discuss the episode without the LUL, which probably says more about you than the author's intent). The rape observation is a bit grotesque, implying someone is negating the existence of such repulsive acts, when Miura's visceral and abject imagery is easily interpreted. Perhaps next you'll ask for links to support the representation of Casca's mind fragmentation and helplessness through the tiny-figures or Farnese usage of her wash stone in the dream land.

HStallion

I honestly think including something like penis monsters is kind of inherently schlocky and you kind of lose the chance to get all deep and introspective when you summon a giant Mozgus head to chomp on them.

Are these supposed to be personifications of a traumatic experience or video game enemies?

I think he did go a little crazy with the idea but penis monsters are a pretty tried and true idea in fiction.

Erigu

We've had 9 chapters a volume for ages
We used to have 11 episodes a volume, really.
Then, in 2002, it became 10 episodes a volume.
And in 2010, nine episodes a volume.
Now, it's eight. Meh.

Same amount of pages though. Tankoban are standardized far as I know.
Nope, they're not.

In this particular case, I don't know if the number of pages has changed, but if you want to keep it the same, I guess you can always add some blank pages between episodes or some ads at the end of the volume...

Ive been watching The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and I couldn't help but notice that many of the ghost designs resemble creatures that look like they can be in Berserk. Its the ghost designs that have lots of eyes, human teeth, body parts that are in strange places and beings with multiple faces. I wonder if Miura was a fan of this show back in the day.

Syder

Ive been watching The Real Ghostbusters cartoon and I couldn't help but notice that many of the ghost designs resemble creatures that look like they can be in Berserk. Its the ghost designs that have lots of eyes, human teeth, body parts that are in strange places and beings with multiple faces. I wonder if Miura was a fan of this show back in the day.
I was scared of this show as a kid but don't really remember why so this makes sense...

Capra

Still working my way through the volumes. Finally got to The Eclipse.

I just popped in to say I'm pretty certain at this point that Void is just a pair of very long arms and a head.

HStallion

Still working my way through the volumes. Finally got to The Eclipse.

I just popped in to say I'm pretty certain at this point that Void is just a pair of very long arms and a head.

You want they say about long arms

dani_dc

This set up chapters would feel a lot less painful if we had the series on a regular basis.
As it is, it feels like most of this chapter could and should had been cut down.

My point was that they seem fine with displaying cocks all over the place and even having a big festival around them with families and parades without it instantly devolving into a big joke. They also have other holidays and such that have a penis focus like some of their harvest festivals. Seems to be a bit more common and mundane symbol or imagery than in the US

I've been to that festival, most local people there were taking the event as a joke.
There is certainly an element that there's more to it than just a joke, but most everyone there was making penis jokes one way or another.

Capra

So it looks like Rightstuf is having a 30th birthday sale at the moment, and I can pick up the next 7 volumes (the Conviction Arc) from them for $52 in total. I think most people have been pretty positive about them, but can I get a confirmation from here that Rightstuf is legit?

Wish they'd been doing this all along. I've been picking up 2-3 volumes from Amazon every other week for the past month or so.

The Hanafubuku poster is gorgeous

FUnPc32l.jpg

So it looks like Rightstuf is having a 30th birthday sale at the moment, and I can pick up the next 7 volumes (the Conviction Arc) from them for $52 in total. I think most people have been pretty positive about them, but can I get a confirmation from here that Rightstuf is legit?

Wish they'd been doing this all along. I've been picking up 2-3 volumes from Amazon every other week for the past month or so.

I never bought anything there but I remember a few Berserk fans mentioning the store while buying their collection.

Capra

I went and bought both Conviction Arc bundles (volumes 15-21). Considering I just finished vol. 13 and I still have a long weekend ahead of me I'm hoping the free shipping doesn't take too long lol. I'd only seen the '97 anime before this point so everything past The Eclipse is uncharted territory for me.

I bought it straight from the beginning to the end of the Conviction Arc. I've been contemplating buying it for awhile, but I guess the sale was the final push. Also helps that Rightstuf seems to have all of it, not even missing anything. I hope the volumes are printed well.

mcz117chief

I always wondered about one thing in Berserk. What did Griffith mean when Eclipse was about to start and Guts was running towards him and Griffith was thinking "If you as much as touch my shoulder...I'll never be able to..."? What is the point of that? What is Griffith implying? What is the significance of that?

I always wondered about one thing in Berserk. What did Griffith mean when Eclipse was about to start and Guts was running towards him and Griffith was thinking "If you as much as touch my shoulder...I'll never be able to..."? What is the point of that? What is Griffith implying? What is the significance of that?

In the episode it was "if you touch me now, i'll never be able to forgive you again", which was shortened in the volume. As for the significance, I assume it's just his desperation in the moment completely rejecting Guts aid (he left cause he couldn't handle the pity). Fucker was way too proud.

In the episode it was "if you touch me now, i'll never be able to forgive you again", which was shortened in the volume. As for the significance, I assume it's just his desperation in the moment rejecting Guts aid (he left cause he couldn't handle the pity). Fucker was way too proud.
Griffith is the man that tried to strangle his rescuer...

mcz117chief

In the episode it was "if you touch me now, i'll never be able to forgive you again", which was shortened in the volume. As for the significance, I assume it's just his desperation in the moment completely rejecting Guts aid (he left cause he couldn't handle the pity). Fucker was way too proud.

In the old anime he says "I'll never be able to...you and I...will never be." but I couldn't fill in the blanks. So if he just stood there instead of touching him, would it make any difference? If Guts and co. never went after Griffith would the Eclipse be even able to take place since there would be no sacrifices?

In the old anime he says "I'll never be able to...you and I...will never be." but I couldn't fill in the blanks. So if he just stood there instead of touching him, would it make any difference? If Guts and co. never went after Griffith would the Eclipse be even able to take place since there would be no sacrifices?
Eclipse was destined to happen. Will of causality yada yada yada...

Veelk

Banned

I took it to mean that if Guts were to come and help him now, in this most desperate hour of need, he will utterly lose his pride and self-worth. It would be a confirmation that everything he ever was is gone and Griffith as he was was fully dead. That's why the eclipse triggered exactly then. It was his greatest fear.

I don't know about the anime. I dont even understand japanese so I have no clue if they translated well. My post was about the manga, so the blank was "forgive" which, when the volume was published, disappeared.

Would it make a difference? Well, the eclipse occurs in Griffith's moment of desperation. Him at his lowest, so there's a cause and effect relationship between Guts coming to his aid, Griffith completely rejecting it and the Eclipse. Would it not occur? No, cause it was set to happen. Griffith lived a life to suffer that desperation. To feel humiliated.

HStallion

Maybe in a few years we can get a Netflix produced Berserk series. You know it would be huge just because a terrible Berserk adaptation had people watching, though maybe for different reasons, but still.

Kuksune

Oh man, I finally managed to convince a friend to sit down and watch Berserk with me tomorrow! I showed him the first episode of 97' anime and he was a little intrigued of what he saw, though he wasn't impressed by the visuals so we're going to see the movies.

If all goes well he will FINALLY understand why I have told him to see Berserk for so many years.

Oh man, I finally managed to convince a friend to sit down and watch Berserk with me tomorrow! I showed him the first episode of 97' anime and he was a little intrigued of what he saw, though he wasn't impressed by the visuals so we're going to see the movies.

If all goes well he will FINALLY understand why I have told him to see Berserk for so many years.
One doesn't "see" Berserk, they "read" it.

Just stick with the series

Gulz1992

He dosn't read books.

He don't like the look of the old show. If he likes the movies, i'd call that a win. He's new to anime so he only likes modern anime, sadly :(

If you really want to interest him in Berserk and he doesn't want to watch the 97 anime, than just show him the Netflix Castlevania. It's much more accurate to the feel and tone of Berserk than the actual Berserk movies. I'd also say that it's a better product overall. I'd compare it to how Jacob's Ladder is a much better Silent Hill movie and much more faithful to the feel of the games than the actual Silent Hill movies.

He dosn't read books.

He don't like the look of the old show. If he likes the movies, i'd call that a win. He's new to anime so he only likes modern anime, sadly :(
His loss and he's not even experiencing the full story. Best experience is reading it to the anime soundtrack.

Top Bottom