• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Pallad1um

Great thread!

One of my favorite manga's ever, too bad the (very) slow pacing of releases. I can't imagine how someone who started reading this since day one must feel...

I recently saw the 3 Golden Age movies and I really liked them, despite the abuse of CG. What I really don't like is the anime series - for years I avoided reading the manga because of it.

I feel like if any manga or anime was able to transition into an american show it would be Berserk. Tell me you assholes wouldn't love a live action show done in America based off of Berserk

There is not a single man in this world buff enough to play Guts and not a single man pretty enough to play Griffith.

Plus the eclipse would be beyond censored : (

Defunkled

at least we know what Miura is doing

I feel like if any manga or anime was able to transition into an american show it would be Berserk. Tell me you assholes wouldn't love a live action show done in America based off of Berserk

I think it would be censored to hell and back if this happened. It would be incredible if it was done well, though.

Azuran

Banned
I stopped reading a few years ago when
those pirates got turned into tentacle monsters by the Sea God

It's both nice and depressing to know I haven't fallen that far behind.

Jarate

Banned
I think it would be censored to hell and back if this happened. It would be incredible if it was done well, though.

Idk about censoring if it was on something like HBO, or Cinemax

I also think that TV producers on HBO would dive at the chance for all the publicity the eclipse would show, and if it's done well enough, it could be one of the powerful moments in television history

I don't think animation would do it well, they censored the shit out of the japanese one, and the sheer fact is that western adults have no interest in an action cartoon.

Somebody just needs to be ballsy enough to do it

Alric

There is not a single man in this world buff enough to play Guts and not a single man pretty enough to play Griffith.

Plus the eclipse would be beyond censored : (

Haha I know, my Fiance makes a good Griffith.

Anyone else notice or like how the Gods Hand are basically the
Cenobites from Hellraiser

Alric

Does
Griffiths Femto
remind anyone else of
Leach from Phantom of the Paradise

2352_1.jpg

Femto_Manga.jpg

Berserk is awesome.

But I have to disagree OP, the movies are very cool. Maybe 3 was kind of a letdown. They are definetly not good to get into the story though.

Could you say what it the reveal is? In spoiler tags of course, I'm just having a hard time following what you mean.

The only thing I know that Miura had removed from the story was The Idea of Evil chapter.

I think it's still supposed to be canon though. He just thought it explained too much about how that world works.

Onemic

the anime is the GOAT

I still have to red the manga. It's too bad they didn't compile the volumes into a big ass omnibuss or something. Aren't there like 30+ volumes or sometihng of the manga?

Alric

the anime is the GOAT

I still have to red the manga. It's too bad they didn't compile the volumes into a big ass omnibuss or something. Aren't there like 30+ volumes or sometihng of the manga?

Yeah, if you were to buy each volume at $15 a pop from the Darkhorse site, you'd be set back around $500 or so.

Hiltz

I checked about two weeks ago to see if chapter 334 was up, but no. Sad to hear we'll have to be waiting for a couple more months. Argh!

Kuroyume

Banned
Edit: Damn you! :p

Darkhorse is reprinting the manga.

Dark Horse Manga new in stores! Berserk, Gantz vol. 29, and Bride of the Water God vol. 14!
10/28/2013 9:18am
Three (well, actually, more like thirty-one…see below ^_^) Dark Horse manga books just hit the stores. First, Berserk. We know that many of the volumes of this series have been hard to find in recent months, and we're pleased to announce that we've reprinted all the volumes that were low in stock (which was nearly all of them). That's part of the good news…and the other part is that the reason so many volumes of Berserk became low in stock is that we just passed the three-quarters-of-a-million mark in series sales! If you're a fan, you know Berserk is a genuine epic that deserves its success (I say, use Berserk to get Game of Thrones fans into manga), but if you're a fan, you're also one of the people who's made it a success, so thank you once again!

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1507/dark-horse-manga-new-stores-berserk-gantz-vol-29-a

LaneDS

Glad it's successful and glad it's getting reprinted... I have the first five volumes and then I think 29 through the latest released one.

Love the manga, but the boat are just wasn't working for me. I felt like it was missing a lot of the really twisted character designs Mirua did so well.

But if he is just lulling us into a false sense of security just to fuck that all up, that'll be pretty great, i think.

Mumei

I haven't read it in a couple years, come to think of it. I own Volumes 1 - 34, and it's definitely worth reading the Dark Horse translation if you can get it. I'd read the fan translations before getting my own copies, and the fan translations have all sorts of issues. I think that the story / cosmology is much less understandable in fan translations due to all the inconsistencies, weird stylistic decisions, grammatical errors, and just plain translation errors.

Is there any indication as to whether the manga is nearly over? I don't want to read it until it's done, even if it takes 10 years or even more.

I got tired of hanging on for every volume release so I'm just waiting until it gets farther ahead now. It really has been one of the best reads for me ever. I can't think of a single good way it can end without more horror for everyone. Things won't go back to the way they were.

Is there any indication as to whether the manga is nearly over? I don't want to read it until it's done, even if it takes 10 years or even more.

It's entirely possible you'll have to wait those ten years in that case. It's been going for over 20 years and it's 70% done. Unless Miura picks up the pace again we're in for a long wait.

Can anyone bring some examples of stories that have been released for over 20 years and haven't become a caricature of themselves? I feel it's amazing how Berserk has managed to stay a pure vision for this long. When I first read it all over the span of three days I couldn't spot any stylistic changes that would end up hurting the story, or any plotline that was simply left hanging without conclusion.

Talking about the girl in the very first arc who swore to kill Guts - in how many pieces of media would it be realistic to expect a character from over 20 years ago to show up in any serious manner? Because I am convinced she will show up again.

Veelk

Banned
Talking about the girl in the very first arc who swore to kill Guts - in how many pieces of media would it be realistic to expect a character from over 20 years ago to show up in any serious manner? Because I am convinced she will show up again.

I'm expecting her to be part of Griffith's court, but if she's not there, then I have no idea where else she could return to the story.

To answer your question, a second example would probably be one piece. I personally don't care for the story its telling, but it's clear the author has a plan and is sticking to it.

Alric

I re-read the series about 5 months ago and thats been on my mind as well. Expecting to see her show up in Griffiths army in some form or another.

Ifrit

Wait a second. You're telling me the manga continues the story beyond the anime? I had always thought it was a one and done type thing. I'll always remember watching it with my two best friends and all of us getting completely blowing away by how it ended. We figured they ran out of money and decided to just trolololol everyone.

Shit...I'm not really into reading manga, and hearing that it's progressing at a snail's pace is disheartening. I'll have to let my friends know though, that's crazy.

If you want more berserk animated, you (and your friends) should watch the third movie, it goes a little bit beyond the original anime, it gives a better closure to the arc than the anime

Popnbake

Basically like I said earlier, it reminds me a lot of Hellraiser.

As mentioned in the god hands section of the wiki, it's believed that they were inspired
by the cenobites. There's a chapter in the manga with them meeting in an M.C.Escher-like
setting which is also similar to a location seen in Hellraiser II.

Conrad and ubik are the ones I am interested in the most.

The other godhands appear to have an appearance from their previous lives (void with
tortue, slan's corset, femto's helmet) but those two don't have anything and lack human forms.

iLoveVN

One of the best mangas out there, for sure!

For those of you, Berserk's fans, may I recommend you to read Zetman? I find some similitudes between both of them, despite taking place in oposite worlds, the characters' developments are pretty similar.
You should take a look.

Ifrit

Haven't got past the golden age arc in the manga, but I must say that the art is fucking gorgeous. Worth checking the books for the art alone

Famassu

My grasses are on.

I've only seen the series. I'm hesitant about the manga since it's so long and unfinished.
Don't start the manga. It's turned into a joke at this point (and by this I don't mean the quality, but the fact that it's been, like, 11+ months since the last chapter was released and I don't see Miura picking up pace too much in the foreseeable future based on the pace he's made Berserk in recent years).

Place your bets. What series finishes first? Berserk or Song of Ice and Fire?
I've usually stayed pretty positive about things, but at this point I will answer NEITHER will ever be finished. I just don't see myself living in a world as good as one where both Berserk & ASOIAF will get finished.

Don't start the manga. It's turned into a joke at this point (and by this I don't mean the quality, but the fact that it's been, like, 11+ months since the last chapter was released and I don't see Miura picking up pace too much in the foreseeable future based on the pace he's made Berserk in recent years).

I have full faith in that he took his break, will release that side project and then goes full gear back onto Berserk. It's the man's life work and I doubt he'd let it wither away.

Actually the PS4 Idolmaster game might be a danger.

Imm0rt4l

Greatest manga of all time

I haven't read it since 2004 because Miura takes so long to put out chapters. Hopefully I'll have a decent number of volumes to follow up on when I re-read it.

I'm still holding out for a PC version of Dragon's Dogma. But I guess that's futile by now.

That game looks so cool and I've got several friends telling me I'd love it.

Dark and Demon's Souls are also pretty good games for a Berserk fan. And the director said he drew some inspiration from Berserk.

Korosenai

Awesome thread! Just a heads up, Amazon got some volumes in stock that have been sold out for a while. I bought volume 4 two days ago and im buying volume 5 in a little bit.

Nerokis

Great thread. I used to be so into this series. It has probably been ~4 years since I've read it, but I still haven't stumbled upon a better manga. The anime was great, too.

Couple questions. From where I left off, I vaguely remember these handful of events:
A burning boat, and the devil-esque figure (Zodd?) appearing; Guts pretty much raping Casca, biting into her breast; Guts managing to hurt the female "goddess" because his sword had gathered a lot of energy of some kind over time; and the beginnings, I think, of a journey to cure Casca's amnesia by going to some sort of (fairy?) island.
I've lost all sense of how much progress the manga has made since I stopped reading it. Has it gone on much further?

Secondly, I've never been able to find definitive information on this, but is it actually true the mangaka takes long breaks because of Idolmaster? Has there been any consistency to the pace of release at all over the past few years?

Kvik

I got my hopes up, I thought Miura has released a new chapter, and an OT was raised in commemoration. :-\

The Golden Age was still god tier after all these years.

Top Bottom