• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT, GUTS IS THE GOAT - Berserk #363 22/01/2021

mcz117chief

I just wish the whole thing is ending soon. The story is just not good anymore. It feels like a fanfic at times with all the "look at that" "oh so awesome" "the best thing ever" "oh and we still got this!" "Oh no way, so awesome" ♾️. Every episode is showing more things just to top the previous one. There hasn't been any actual plot development since they killed that Kushan emperor. So Casca has been healed and it seems that nothing has changed really, nothing really could change anyway. What can Casca do? She is just a low tier grunt in comparison to everyone else, no magic, no superpowers, nothing. She couldn't handle Wyald, who was pretty low tier, so what chance does she have against Griffith's legions? It totally feels like Miura has driven himself into a corner and doesn't know how to get out. He still has his Rickert wild card though. I wouldn't be surprised if he would be flying F-22 when Guts makes it back to the mainland (time dilation trope). What I hope happens is that there will be a civil war among Griffith's legions which will leave Falconia vulnerable, then Guts, Rickert and his SAS drop on Griffith, kill him and end it with some "poetic" line like "there is no fate but the one we make for ourselves". Fade to black. The End. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I just wish the whole thing is ending soon. The story is just not good anymore. It feels like a fanfic at times with all the "look at that" "oh so awesome" "the best thing ever" "oh and we still got this!" "Oh no way, so awesome" ♾️. Every episode is showing more things just to top the previous one. There hasn't been any actual plot development since they killed that Kushan emperor. So Casca has been healed and it seems that nothing has changed really, nothing really could change anyway. What can Casca do? She is just a low tier grunt in comparison to everyone else, no magic, no superpowers, nothing. She couldn't handle Wyald, who was pretty low tier, so what chance does she have against Griffith's legions? It totally feels like Miura has driven himself into a corner and doesn't know how to get out. He still has his Rickert wild card though. I wouldn't be surprised if he would be flying F-22 when Guts makes it back to the mainland (time dilation trope). What I hope happens is that there will be a civil war among Griffith's legions which will leave Falconia vulnerable, then Guts, Rickert and his SAS drop on Griffith, kill him and end it with some "poetic" line like "there is no fate but the one we make for ourselves". Fade to black. The End. Just my opinion.
Why does Casca need to be a great fighter who can beat monsters. Her significance is far greater than that.

mcz117chief

They fight all the time. It’s only logical that she learns how to fight as well so she fights back?
What do you think. Will Casca become obsessed with revenge like Guts, will she stay on the island having enjoyed enough suffering supporting Guts and co. spiritually or will she basically return to normal and become another member of the party?

mcz117chief

Growing up on Berserk made me like this :(
Man, I can't even remember any meaningful good character dying outside of The Eclipse. They all somehow make it, even Foss is still around. There is so much comedy in Berserk that it reminds me of Junji Ito's work. Super dark but still somehow manages to be funny.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Man, I can't even remember any meaningful good character dying outside of The Eclipse. They all somehow make it, even Foss is still around. There is so much comedy in Berserk that it reminds me of Junji Ito's work. Super dark but still somehow manages to be funny.
Spot on. Thats the greatest description and comparison I ever read to be honest

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I just saw the entire 1997 run this past weekend because I am fiending for more of the manga.

4jYGznk.gif

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Somebody go into his house and take away all his idol games

The Current State of Berserk
With Duranki out of the way, Kentaro Miura then moved on to talk about the current state of Berserk in the interview, clearing up some long-held fan misconceptions along the way.

Fans have long since tried to guess at the reason behind Berserk’s constant hiatuses in Young Animal, and while some have suggested that he simply doesn’t care about the series anymore, it’s quite clear from the interview that Miura has some more than valid reasons.

Firstly, Miura made the shift from traditional artwork to digital in 2015, around volume 38 of Berserk, which meant that Miura had to basically relearn everything from scratch.

That shift wasn’t as sudden as it first seems, however. As Miura revealed during the interview, he had actually already been using digital tools in tandem with traditional pen and paper for a while before that – sketching first in pencil and then inking digitally, after copying over the sketch, during the notorious ‘Sea God’ or ‘Boat’ arc.

Miura then decided to completely switch over digital as he believed it’d be more efficient, but several problems still remained.

He admitted during the interview that, while he’s also fast at doing storyboards and sketches, it’s inking and drawing where he often trips up, as he often focuses too much on detail – even getting shouted at multiple times by his editor for literally going pixel by pixel in his digital drawing software.

Even so, Miura views that level of detail as vital for his manga. Not only is he influenced by the so-called ‘baroque’ period of manga, as exemplified by the dense artwork of Tetsuo Hara’s Fist of the North Star and Katsuhiro Otomo’s AKIRA, but he also believes that the manga panel acts as a ‘window to another world’ – with detail needed to sell this illusion.

All of this meant that it was fine with Miura, even perhaps necessary to miss a chapter or two every now and again if that meant being able to get the level of detail he desired, but even he admits that he might have bitten off more than he could chew with the series’ current ‘Fantasia’ arc.

The arc’s setting of the mystical island of Elfheim has necessitated even more detail and therefore more time spent on each panel than ever, as creating a believable ‘window’ to another world so steeped in magic and the unreal becomes harder and harder. More characters than ever also appear in each panel due to how many Elfheim inhabitants are diminutive in size, which only adds to the headache that this arc is proving for Miura.

The Future of Berserk
Don’t worry, though – we’ll be done with that arc and off the island of Elfheim very soon. Speaking very candidly about the future of Berserk during the interview, Kentaro Miura revealed that the story of Berserk is ‘approaching it’s back half’ and that ‘many surprises are in store.’

Of course, he’s mostly referring to where the character of Casca will go from here on out.

Mista

Banned
So what’s going on with berserk? Is it now 2 or 3 months of nothing? :( you know you like wait for a year and then only get like 24pages you read in a minute.

you don’t do shit like that to junkies.
Apparently Miura was full of shit and I knew it. I’m sure he’s busy with the new manga

Last edited:

God Enel

It’s absolutely annoying yo. I mean if he would say in two years there’s going to be the next chapter or whatever. But you’re waiting like for your lost daughter and you never know if she’s going to return home or if she’s dead forever. lol. Fuck that. I need my fix

Top Bottom