• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Besides Weird Al, is there any other band or performing artist as consistently great as They Might Be Giants?

Stouffers

Banned
Sure, there have been thousands of bands that have burned brighter for shorter periods of time, but what other group has consistently pumped out the quality that TMBG has produced for almost 35 years?

Out of their 16 “adult” albums, there are only two I would consider “duds” and even those have a handful of songs I would classify as good to great.

Like a lot of people, I got hooked on the band through Flood and it was completely by accident. I randomly purchased the CD for a friend for his birthday back in ‘90 and we would have it on in the background while playing video games. I started to check out their older stuff as well as keep up with their newer albums and it became the primary soundtrack to my adolescence/adult life.

Last edited:
Nobody's falling for these "Who?" posts in 2020 lmao.

Anyway, Weird Al is great. I got to watch his show backstage and that dude hasn't aged a day!
I don’t know who that is. I’m sorry I’m not cool as you and don’t know every single band you know.
My answer? Tool, Iron Maiden, and Opeth

Stouffers

Banned
Nobody's falling for these "Who?" posts in 2020 lmao.

Anyway, Weird Al is great. I got to watch his show backstage and that dude hasn't aged a day!
I did the Weird Al meet and greet last time he came through Atlanta. Really nice guy but you could tell he was exhausted. I’ve got a signed photo of him, me and my two oldest daughters.

The Snake

I did the Weird Al meet and greet last time he came through Atlanta. Really nice guy but you could tell he was exhausted. I’ve got a signed photo of him, me and my two oldest daughters.

Yeah, he's super shy also. Even before the performance when we met him (I was on stage as a Stormtrooper) he kind of gave us cursory greetings. His incredibly obnoxious (nice, but obnoxious) assistant pretty much communicated with us in his stead.

Either way Al & crew treated us incredibly well and it was a night I'll never forget. That dude is so great!

Stouffers

Banned
Funny enough, three of my top four TMBG songs aren’t even on official albums… One isn’t even a TMBG song, but part of John Linnell‘s solo project, State Songs:

Sensurround
Montana
The End of the Tour
Doctor Worm

Stouffers

Banned
For shits and giggles, I’ve listed my top two songs from every album:

Pink Album: Don’t Let’s Start / She’s an Angel

Lincoln: Ana Ng / They’ll Need a Crane

Flood: Birdhouse in Your Soul / Dead

Apollo 18: My Evil Twin / See the Constellation

John Henry: Destination Moon / The End of the Tour

Factory Showroom: Metal Detector / The Bells are Ringing

Long Tall Weekend: Certain People I Could Name / Counterfeit Faker

Mink Car: Man, It’s So Loud in Here / My Man

The Spine: Wearing a Raincoat / Broke in Two

The Else: The Cap’m / The Mesopotamians

Join Us: You Probably Get That a Lot / Canajoharie

Nanobots: You’re on Fire / Lost My Mind

Glean: Erase / Let Me Tell You About My Operation

Phone Power: I’ll Be Haunting You / Shape Shifter

I Like Fun: By the Time You Get This / Push Back the Hands

My Murdered Remains: The Communists Have the Music / This is Only Going to Go One Way

Top Bottom