• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2020 Television for Next Gen

Dabaus

Banned
Ive been doing some research on 2020 tv models and want some feed back on what the best one could be Im aiming to a tv at least 75 inches wide and that has hdmi 2.1. Im purposely avoiding OLED because of Burn in and am only looking for 4K, no 8K. Ive narrowed it down to 3 choices:

The Sony X900H; Sounds like a fantastic tv but the HDMI 2.1 updates will be available through a firmware update and that is kind of concerning to me.

The LG Nanocell 90: Has HDMI 2.1 already but reviews say the black colors do not look good in the dark, which may present a problem since i like to game and watch movies in the dark

Samsung Q90T: Good reviews, a little more pricey than the other 2 and ive read it doesnt support true HDMI 2.1?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
The OLEDs are great but I also really like my 65" Sony X900H just hope the update does actually come through.

The 950 doesnt have HDMI 2.1 though.

Im leaning towards the Sony Myself but yes, when the firmware update happens is important and will it actually deliver?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
you dont need HDMI 2.1. there will be zero games running at 4k 120 fps next gen.

just get a tv that supports 120 fps and you should be fine. 1440p 120 fps is what you will get from these consoles.

make sure to invest in a tv that has a great HDR rating and great picture quality. that is by far the most important thing. go with OLED and buy a replacement plan. you dont want shitty HDR ruining your experience.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
you dont need HDMI 2.1. there will be zero games running at 4k 120 fps next gen.

just get a tv that supports 120 fps and you should be fine. 1440p 120 fps is what you will get from these consoles.

make sure to invest in a tv that has a great HDR rating and great picture quality. that is by far the most important thing. go with OLED and buy a replacement plan. you dont want shitty HDR ruining your experience.

In response to that when I bought this Sony with HDMI 2.1 I was hoping to future proof a little because you know we will be getting mid gen refreshes in a couple of years and surely some games will start running 4k 120, MAYBE

SlimySnake

In response to that when I bought this Sony with HDMI 2.1 I was hoping to future proof a little because you know we will be getting mid gen refreshes in a couple of years and surely some games will start running 4k 120, MAYBE
i am expecting a 2x power increase like the pro which means only games like gt7 which are running at native 4k 60 fps right now will get to 120 fps and native 4k. all the other stuff like horizon, ratchet and spiderman that are running at native 4k 30 fps will only go up to native 4k 60 fps with maybe some better ray tracing.

Ulysses 31

Ive been doing some research on 2020 tv models and want some feed back on what the best one could be Im aiming to a tv at least 75 inches wide and that has hdmi 2.1. Im purposely avoiding OLED because of Burn in. Ive narrowed it down to 3 choices:

The Sony X900H; Sounds like a fantastic tv but the HDMI 2.1 updates will be available through a firmware update and that is kind of concerning to me.

The LG Nanocell 90: Has HDMI 2.1 already but reviews say the black colors do not look good in the dark, which may present a problem since i like to game and watch movies in the dark

Samsung Q90T: Good reviews, a little more pricey than the other 2 and ive read it doesnt support true HDMI 2.1?

Any suggestions?
Being a bit of s Samsung fanboy I'd pick the Q90T/Q95T out of those. :lollipop_grinning:

I think it doesn't support full band width HDMI 2.1 but still has all the gaming features and 4K120 Hz 10 bit HDR support. Also it only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

wvnative

Well...from what I hear Sony LCDs are best in class.

But know this, I play many many hours of games every day, and my OLED E7 from December 2017 has shown zero signs of any burn in. And my oled light stays at 80 most of the time, 100 for HDR games. Just think about it okay?

If you still refuse OLED I understand, i'd go with the Sony based on PQ, but I had an older Sony LCD with android and had nothing but issues with it. It's why I ran out to get an OLED. Personally will never own another TV with android but I'm sure the newer ones are better.

LG Web OS is awesome and un intrusive but i hear the nanocells aren't great value for the PQ you get.

Dunno much about the current Samsungs

Journey

Banned
2-3 years maybe?

It was mostly a joke, i'm trying to resist myself but i'm gonna buy a new tv in 2021 if these things are too far away.

Ouch! lol

What was the name of that other display technology that was super hot when the Pioneer Kuro was the display to get. I believe Canon and another company owned the rights, it was supposed to be 2 panels forming a vacuum that allowed CRT style capabilities.

Edit...SED? Makes me think of that when I hear about MicroLED delays and hurdles.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ouch! lol

What was the name of that other display technology that was super hot when the Pioneer Kuro was the display to get. I believe Canon and another company owned the rights, it was supposed to be 2 panels forming a vacuum that allowed CRT style capabilities. SED?
I don't remember, sorry.

Dabaus

Banned
Being a bit of s Samsung fanboy I'd pick the Q90T/Q95T out of those. :lollipop_grinning:

I think it doesn't support full band width HDMI 2.1 but still has all the gaming features and 4K120 Hz 10 bit HDR support. Also it only has 1 HDMI 2.1 port.

So the Samsung has the 2.1 Features for gaming but is lacking others? I only really care about the gaming features.

Journey

Banned
I don't remember, sorry.

It was SED

Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display.

Anyway, my point is that waiting 3 years is too long for technology, there's no telling what may happen or if something better is created in between and ends up as vaporware like SED. I'm pretty sure Microled is safe from that happening, but by the time it releases and becomes affordable, I could enjoy a new OLED for many years to come.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

So the Samsung has the 2.1 Features for gaming but is lacking others? I only really care about the gaming features.
It lacks bandwidth to transport 12 bit color signals which no TV panel can display 100% accurately yet. Don't know about the other TVs but Samsung also supports FreeSync Premium which can reduce a lot of stutter in 30 fps content(low framerate compensation) but it's not known if the newer consoles will support it.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

Ive been doing some research on 2020 tv models and want some feed back on what the best one could be Im aiming to a tv at least 75 inches wide and that has hdmi 2.1. Im purposely avoiding OLED because of Burn in and am only looking for 4K, no 8K. Ive narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Any suggestions?
the samsung tv you mentioned supports hdmi 2.1 but it’s only available on hdmi 4.

Well time to buy another panasonic oled.

I'm curious about sony oled but they overprice their tv a lot, they are not the best in everything but they cost like they are...
What on earth are you talking about? Sony oled is the best in motion processing, even better than Panasonic.

It’s way better than lg in color accuracy, motion, and has 120hz bfi that actually works unlike lg cx.

Finally, at least in the states the Sony A8h is only 1899 and the best tv inarguably besides the lg having marginally lower lag, and the Panasonic hz2000 getting brighter and somewhat more accurate color. But that’s at an extra 1000 dollars at least, and a no go in the USA.

Last edited:

GymWolf

What on earth are you talking about? Sony oled is the best in motion processing, even better than Panasonic.

It’s way better than lg in color accuracy, motion, and has 120hz bfi that actually works unlike lg cx.

Finally, at least in the states the Sony A8h is only 1899 and the best tv inarguably besides the lg having marginally lower lag, and the Panasonic hz2000 getting brighter and somewhat more accurate color. But that’s at an extra 1000 dollars at least, and a no go in the USA.
last time i checked panasonic was better in color accuracy both out of the box and after regulations, but it was 2018.
At that times lg was the better one for gaming, sony the better one for motion processing like you said, and panasonic was the better overall.

i remember about the only contest hdtv made for oled tv

i don't know what changed since then, but every brand is better in something, panasonic with color accuracy, sony with motion and lg with game features, samsung for less input lag if i remember well.

here in europe lg and panasonic are cheaper than sony most of the times, it's a shame that you have to pay a surplus for panasonic in US, they are great tv.

Last edited:

ABnormal

4k/120 Hz is the least important feature of 2.1, and largely forgettable. But things like VRR and wider color space make a big difference.

If not interested in 2.1 Specs, I think the Panasonic Oled GZ950 offer tremendous value. For some reason is very cheap, and the image quality (in all departments, all HDR formats, etc.) is almost on top.
I would take it, if I would have to choose among the existing TVs, but I prefer to wait till there will be a TV compatible with all the new standards. I did the same in 2007 and I never regretted that decision.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

4k/120 Hz is the least important feature of 2.1, and largely forgettable. But things like VRR and wider color space make a big difference.

If not interested in 2.1 Specs, I think the Panasonic Oled GZ950 offer tremendous value. For some reason is very cheap, and the image quality (in all departments, all HDR formats, etc.) is almost on top.
I would take it, if I would have to choose among the existing TVs, but I prefer to wait till there will be a TV compatible with all the new standards. I did the same in 2007 and I never regretted that decision.
wait the current 120 fps tvs dont support VRR?

what is free sync and gsync using?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Any suggestions?
I suggest wait a 1 or 2 years... Dont let the hype is over you.

Really I will to this períod to get a Ps5 and see problems of hardware and the TV will be better in other year.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

It’s LG’s OLED line. I’ve had one since the E7P, not an ounce of trouble with burn in, and I game a lot on it. LG has incorporated features to reduce the risk, from static images like HUD’s or maps, etc.

So this year I upgraded to the GX 77”. The HDMI 2.1 features with the near instantaneous response times on this tv is amazing.

Just waiting for the consoles.

ABnormal

I didn't mean that, but I don't know anyway. I'm not even sure if actually exist a TV with all hdmi 2.1 features. And I'm waiting for that. My wish is a Panasonic Oled with full features next year. My "dream", instead, is the arrival of proper Oled TVs (Oled RGB, not the AMOled that we are seeing now), but it will take time, if ever.

It seems that VRR is not the same thing as free sync and gsync.

Rossco EZ

It’s LG’s OLED line. I’ve had one since the E7P, not an ounce of trouble with burn in, and I game a lot on it. LG has incorporated features to reduce the risk, from static images like HUD’s or maps, etc.

So this year I upgraded to the GX 77”. The HDMI 2.1 features with the near instantaneous response times on this tv is amazing.

Just waiting for the consoles.
yup, got my first LG oled (first ever oled actually) at the end of 2019 and they really are on another level for quality, can’t wait for the new consoles to really see it shine.

REDRZA MWS

If by “current” you mean 2020, then yeah, many are featuring HDMI 2.1. My older LG OLED is a native 120hz panel, but can’t hit 120 without hdmi2.1. I upgraded this year to a bigger screen and all the features of HDMI 2.1.

Bring the hardware on!

hard_boiled

Neophyte
Unfortunately it seems like TVs & monitors do not evolve at the same rate that things like CPUs, GPUs, & hard drives do.

Rikkori

The Samsung Q90T is the best 4K LCD available. It has some issues unfortunately and it is overpriced, but in terms of PQ no HDMI 2.1 LCD beats it. It unfortunately still suffers from the Samsung plague of gimping the TV while in game mode but much less so than any other model at any other time. Overall - still the best LCD for gaming at 4K, if you care about HDMI 2.1.
See: this post
as well as the avsforums dedicated thread to the TV.
Mind you, even the often lauded LG OLEDs have significant issues with Gsync and the like, as well as other issues, so it's not all rosy no matter the TV.

The Sony XH90/X900H is the best alternative to the Q90T if you want to save some money. It has good PQ, but not super bright, lacking some Sony processing magic, but maintains good colour accuracy & has that vaunted HDMI 2.1 port. The disadvantage at 75" is that they don't give this TV many more zones to keep up with the size increase, so it has better PQ at 55"-65".

LG LCDs are all crap, without exception & without fail, and don't warrant a purchase.

People recommending waiting for microLED have no clue what they're talking about. That's a decade away at best, if they figure it out at all. Right now it remains a technology for businesses that want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for giant displays - nothing more.

The LCD alternatives to OLED are almost here but still 1-2 years away from the polish they need.

- Dual Cell will get closest to the contrast ratio in the short term but in general they have processing issues taming both panels & the power requirements make it unable to get very bright. Will be decent alternative to OLEDs for movies - which is pointless.
- MiniLED are already here and widely available in the USA, but the problem is they are only in TCL TVs - which have crap processing and therefore can't tame the amount of zones & make proper use of it, so they black crush like crazy and have slow FALD transition times, plus they calibrate like crap. Once Sony jumps on board this train the situation will change and we'll have a very good alternative to OLED, and in many ways much better all while not breaking the bank. This is still at least a year or two away from happening, likely more. We will know more at CES 2021 in January.

So, to sum it up, if you can afford the Q90T get it. If not, the XH90 would be a good alternative. Can't really go wrong either way.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

I didint know the CX was a bit of a downgrade to the C9 - why on earth would you buy it over the C9 then.... ?

Also, are there any full 2.1 TV's that have the full VRR range ( say 30-120 fps) at 4K? This is my biggest gripe. I need that VRR goodness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom