• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 2020 Television for Next Gen

D.Final

Banned
I bought a 65” m series Vizio. I am not thrilled with it and will return to get something else.

motion on ps3 games are particularly bad.
HDR seems to look worse in games like Ghost of Tushima.

will something like the Sony X900H (sounds like the x950 is worse for gaming but better pq) be a big improvement with motion as well as overall picture quality? I know it is a lot more of cPurse.

im coming from a 10 year old plasma that just I sold that handled motion way better than the vizio. Way better blacks as well but that was expected.

65 is pretty massive :messenger_astonished:

There a YouTube channel that check oled burn.
after 5 years they can see some burn with news channel. Normal usage won’t be watching news for 5 years in a row.

Shmunter

I’ve got Samsung 75” Q95T on order. Almost went with the 77” Lg CX, but the OLED degradation over time at this price couldn’t be ignored.

There is one massive feature the Samsung’s have others don’t. Real Game Enhancer.

It interpolates extra frames turning 30fps into 60 or 60 into 120. It does this with minimal impact to latency. Indeed, even with the feature on, it is still in the 20ms range. My current 900E is over 30ms in game mode and it’s totally acceptable.

Granted interpolation is just a visual feature and won’t make the game more responsive like genuine 60fps. But it sure does make 30fps games look amazing. Something to consider together with HDMI 2.1 & Freesync.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I’ve got Samsung 75” Q95T on order. Almost went with the 77” Lg CX, but the OLED degradation over time at this price couldn’t be ignored.

There is one massive feature the Samsung’s have others don’t. Real Game Enhancer.

It interpolates extra frames turning 30fps into 60 or 60 into 120. It does this with minimal impact to latency. Indeed, even with the feature on, it is still in the 20ms range. My current 900E is over 30ms in game mode and it’s totally acceptable.

Granted interpolation is just a visual feature and won’t make the game more responsive like genuine 60fps. But it sure does make 30fps games look amazing. Something to consider together with HDMI 2.1 & Freesync.
That's one of the only Samsung TV's I'd consider.
Good TV enjoy.

Rikkori

Keep in mind you can't use that together with VRR, and there's VRR inverse ghosting issues with the Sammy.

Shmunter

Keep in mind you can't use that together with VRR, and there's VRR inverse ghosting issues with the Sammy.

Wasn’t aware, will see and report back on any issues. I did see LG CX with VRR has elevated black issues even. Seems none of these dopes can get things perfect.

Edit: the author of that vid has pinned an updated post stating the ghosting has been resolved via newer firmware update. Giving the set 10/10 now. Pheeew, hate being annoyed with deficiencies.

“This TV is now a 10 out of 10 in my eyes for gaming in HDR for next gen why well because they fixed the ghosting issue I talked about. I wanted to update everyone on the Inverse Ghosting, as of Firmware 1301.5 this has been fixed! As long as you remain at 60hz with no VRR/Freesync.

So to sum it up.

120hz output no inverse ghosting
120hz output with VRR/FreeSync (untested) but should likely yield no inverse ghosting
60hz output no inverse ghosting
60hz output with VRR/FreeSync engaged still has some inverse ghosting.”

Last edited:

Rikkori

Was aware, will see and report back on any issues. I did see LG CX with VRR has elevated black issues even. Seems none of these dopes can get things perfect.
Sadly not. Probably why Sony hasn't put out a TV that can do it all yet, they're usually reliable for things actually working. I don't count the XH90 because it's more mid-tier.

Shmunter

Sadly not. Probably why Sony hasn't put out a TV that can do it all yet, they're usually reliable for things actually working. I don't count the XH90 because it's more mid-tier.
See my edit above.

Looked at the Sony’s, they seem to lack a fundamental ability to communicate within their departments. Only 1 2020 tv has HDMI2.1 features and its the midrange one. That’s just ridiculous, would have easily considered their flagship OLED - but alas they don’t know which was is up or down. Here comes our PS5 but our TV‘s aren’t designed for it, but competitors are?!?

At least the game mode interpolation on the Samsung has me excited for something I haven’t had before.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Please do more research. Hdtvtest videos are a good start.

The x900h uses the same x1 chipset as the 900e, though its options menu is more limited than the 900e so ultimately, it’s a worse implementation sans the input lag and single 2.1 port which will be useless outside of the handful of aforementioned games.

I’m not in the oled camp like it’s a faction, but the black level, motion response and uniformity are night and day better than lcd. Maybe Sony mini led quantum dot color conversion will be better whenever that hits.

I mean it can’t have as good of black level, but perhaps overall that’ll be close enough plus way more bright. and also still not as good of motion response as oled 👌

And yes, burn in on 2018 panels or newer is a proven non
Input lag is greatly increased with processing like Smooth Gradation enabled. So for gaming it doesn't matter and would hurt things.

For those who want the hq out of movies etc it is not recommended by the same Vincent you posted.

It actually does have the fastest chip available in a TV.
You continue to be ill informed and clueless.

I'll continue to enjoy burn in free HDMI 2.1 enabled gaming with lower input lag,brighter picture and drum roll... 120fps gaming vs your dated Sony OLED.

What TV are you talking about?

Shmunter

If your PC is up to the task, yes.
Also PS5 and XsX will default to 4k/120 output if getting those

Note only one port supports 4k/120 on Samsung, the LG CX, 4 ports support it. Good to know for multi next gen device owners. Not sure about Sony 900H

Last edited:

DoomGyver

I just ordered an LG CX 55” and I cannot wait to pick it up. Slightly worried about burn in so I bought the extended warranty. Cannot wait to play Doom Eternal on this. I’m upgrading from a 2012 mid tier Sony lcd.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Would it be worth it to wait for next year when there's hopefully more hdmi 2.1 options along with more that actually have 48gbps speed (the cx doesn't have that apparently)

Im hoping Sony makes an oled with hdmi 2.1 and 48gbps and its baffling they don't have one out when they're making a next gen system that can do 4k 120fps on some games

Spent a couple hours with the Sony. It is night and day difference in quality for motion and colors.
Sony probably has the best motion for LCD in the game. Also, when in game mode, the Sony maintains its black levels much better than the competition. I'm holding out on TCL's Vidrian sets to come out later this year. Hopefully they can knock it out of the park, but if I can't get my hands on a PS5 this year, than I'll wait for 2021 models.

Bought the 55"XH9077 (silver framework, 9005 is the black one) couple weeks ago on a great deal and couldn´t be happier. In that pricerange (was on offer at an electronics shop around here for a bit over 900) it was a no brainer, regular listing price was 1.199 and other discounts have him at around 1099, some a bit more, some a bit less. So far tv, streaming (netflix, sports, youtube) and gaming (ps, xbox, nintendo systems) is great, can´t wait to see the next gen machines on it.

Last edited:

base

Banned
I just ordered an LG CX 55” and I cannot wait to pick it up. Slightly worried about burn in so I bought the extended warranty. Cannot wait to play Doom Eternal on this. I’m upgrading from a 2012 mid tier Sony lcd.
If you're not watching cnn 24/7 then it's gonna be fine.

Shmunter

So reporting back on the 75” Q90/Q95T. Great picture, needs to be tweaked to preference like any set. Lots of options to digest.

But one thing I cannot overstate is the huge feature with the Game motion interpolation stuff. It makes 30fps notably better. But the algorithm working on 60>120 is a sight to behold. its pretty much 120fps gaming just without the added benefits of ultra low latency controller input real 120 gives. Real clear movement, it’s quite remarkable. Can’t wait to try other games.

Last edited:
Just fyi: the HDMI 2.1 firmware update for the XH90/X900H is rolling out, at least in the central european country i reside in. Just did it on my TV, according to patch notes eArc and 4k120 is part of it as well as apple tv support. Nothing on VRR and ALLM though, that will likely come in another update.

Ulysses 31

But the algorithm working on 60>120 is a sight to behold. its pretty much 120fps gaming just without the added benefits of ultra low latency controller input real 120 gives. Real clear movement, it’s quite remarkable. Can’t wait to try other games.
I like the effect too but other dismiss it as the soap opera effect. :lollipop_confounded:

apotema

3 years later and the long awaited price drop for OLED hasn't arrived. Should I bite or endure another year?

What is this? I can't find anything on google about this.

I think there is a "L" missing, the correct term would be ALLM which means Auto Low Latency Mode. The TV recognizes that a game console is connected (and turned on) via hdmi2.1 and automatically switches into game mode with all other programs running on a absolute minimum so all of the TV´s "computing power" can go towards gaming and the best performance with minimum input lag etc.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Guys what's the name of that new feature that allows you to really quickly switch input sources?
Ain't no such thing, closest thing is:
Quick Media Switching (QMS)
Have you ever noticed that your screen goes black shortly before you watch a video or trailer? This is because the display is adjusting its refresh rate to suit the content you’re about to watch. As different content uses different frame rates, your display has to sync to it, hence, the short blackout.

Sometimes, this might cause you to miss the first few seconds of a video. However, some content providers delay playback to account for the change. Assuming the resolution of whatever you’re watching remains the same, Quick Media Switching (QMS) eliminates the blackout caused by refresh rate changes.

This allows you to watch content with differing frame rates back-to-back, without a blackout. The feature uses HDMI VRR to smoothly transition from one refresh rate to another.

jigglet

Banned
Ain't no such thing, closest thing is:

Na it's a new thing. I was watching this video on emerging tech in the TV space at the end of 2020 / 2021 and this was one of them. I'm really looking forward to it as I have so much shit plugged into my TV and I'm constantly switching between them.

Top Bottom